Duties and Roles of Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie 1: Discussion Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven´t noticed many people criticizing the girls for their looks it has mainly been because of their lack of discretion. I see nothing wrong with Eugenie´s figure, it is full and healthy, the controversy was caused by what she was doing with it, and even then it was mainly because she should have known or suspected that photographers would be present.

I couldnt care whether they were as thin as rakes or fat as fools, I'd just like them to do some bloody work!

1) The girls are still very young, and so one does need to cut them some slack for that. Going out, getting drunk every now and then is all part of growing up, and most young people do that!

A princess should not behave like that no matter what! They are not like most young people. Most young people do not have all the prerogatives they have. Most young people are not styled Your Royal Highness, most young people are not grandchildren of the head of state, most young people are not seen as possible heads of state, most young people are not expected to represent their country, etc. They are not born to be like most people - they have more prerogatives than most young people and therefore they should behave better than most young people in order to show that they deserve those prerogatives.

If they want to live like normal people, why don't they move out of the palace, drop their titles and styles, get a job and then live like other young people? Nooo, they want the palace, the titles, the style, taxpayer's money and party every night.

I agree, I think the girls should find something meaningful to do with themselves, either furthering their education, doing some sort of volunteerism, or finding a real job of some sort ... but they should also be allowed to have some fun. (I know I attempted to have some fun when I was their age.)

I agree, I think the girls should find something meaningful to do with themselves, either furthering their education, doing some sort of volunteerism, or finding a real job of some sort ... but they should also be allowed to have some fun. (I know I attempted to have some fun when I was their age.)

They are 'furthering their education'.

Beatrice is currently a full time student at uni and Eugenie is on her gap year, in which she is experiencing a range of different cultures e.g. Indian, Thai, Aussie (yes we are a different culture to the British) before going to uni as a full time student.

By your list they are doing something 'meaningful with themselves'.

They are also having some fun.

Last edited:
A princess should not behave like that no matter what! They are not like most young people. Most young people do not have all the prerogatives they have. Most young people are not styled Your Royal Highness, most young people are not grandchildren of the head of state, most young people are not seen as possible heads of state, most young people are not expected to represent their country, etc. They are not born to be like most people - they have more prerogatives than most young people and therefore they should behave better than most young people in order to show that they deserve those prerogatives.

If they want to live like normal people, why don't they move out of the palace, drop their titles and styles, get a job and then live like other young people? Nooo, they want the palace, the titles, the style, taxpayer's money and party every night.

Unfortunately two royal wives believed that their children should be raised 'normal' and the result is four young royals who are often seen to be wanting to be 'normal' rather than royal.

Diana and Sarah felt that the upbringing of the royals was too stuffy, convinced their husbands (and how much convincing they took I don't know - it might have been very little or a lot or something in between) to let the children have normal upbringings but in the process forgot that their offspring also have to be royal. The husbands believed that the mothers were right and let them have their way and continued it after separation, divorce and death took the mothers away from the royal scene.

Anne got it right - normal but aware of their royal connections and how to behave.

My apologies people - I thought the Councillors of State were 18 not 21.

That means that the present queen has to live until 2031 to stop Beatrice becoming one assuming William or Harry marries this year and has a child next year. That would mean the Queen has to live until aged 105. To stop Eugenie either William or Harry have twins next year or they both marry this year and become fathers next year and the Queen lives to 105 and Charles to 83.

I think the likelihood is that one or both of them will be eligible to serve as Councillors of State.

An interesting point is that despite being eligible Philip has never served - why you ask? Simple - Councillors of State are appointed when the Queen travels abroad and she has never gone overseas without Philip so he has never been able to be appointed. Mostly the Queen has used The Queen Mother, Margaret, Charles and Anne (she doesn't need to use all of them at the same time of course). I think she normally appoints two.

Beatrice is currently a full time student at uni and Eugenie is on her gap, in which she is experiencing a range of different cultures e.g. Indian, Thai, Aussie (yes we are a different culture to the British) year before going to uni as a full time student.

By your list they are doing something 'meaningful with themselves'.

They are also having some fun.

I wasn't sure about Beatrice... hope she manages to keep her grades up with all the partying that she reportedly does (although I have my doubts that she's as terrible as she's painted).

As for Eugenie, for once it sounds like a Royal might be mingling with people outside of their circumscribed social circle. And the backpacking might be a way of experiencing the early travels (and freedom before marriage) of her mother. Unfortunately, the young woman isn't as anonymous as the young Sarah.

But rather than going to party spots all around the world (and some of them in problematic places) there should be some educational/social component to it. She could work on her tan at an archaeological dig or protecting turtles or something, even diving at your Barrier Reef. Uncle Charlie could get her a job counting red squirrels in Wales!

I wasn't sure about Beatrice... hope she manages to keep her grades up with all the partying that she reportedly does (although I have my doubts that she's as terrible as she's painted).

As for Eugenie, for once it sounds like a Royal might be mingling with people outside of their circumscribed social circle. And the backpacking might be a way of experiencing the early travels (and freedom before marriage) of her mother. Unfortunately, the young woman isn't as anonymous as the young Sarah.

But rather than going to party spots all around the world (and some of them in problematic places) there should be some educational/social component to it. She could work on her tan at an archaeological dig or protecting turtles or something, even diving at your Barrier Reef. Uncle Charlie could get her a job counting red squirrels in Wales!

But really...is Beatrice partying that much anymore? Yes, she might go to the occasional event...but really which college student doesn't?

But really...is Beatrice partying that much anymore? Yes, she might go to the occasional event...but really which college student doesn't?

I agree completely, for the reasons that Kotroman set out, that neither of the girls should do what the average college student does(except for studying :rolleyes:).
True, either Beatrice is partying less or being more discreet about it. Either of these reasons is laudable.

The counting of squirrels in Wales idea is brilliant by the way. :whistling:

I am not convinced that Eugenie's brand of 'furthering their education' is one I would fully agree with, i.e. bumming around a few of the well known backpackers hotspots (Thailand, India - where she did stay at the Taj). One would have hoped that along with the travel (which certainly adds perspective), she might have done something meaningful, like some volunteering work, or some language skills or work at a museum or something.

Anne got it right - normal but aware of their royal connections and how to behave.

Peter and Zara Philips have behaved no worse and no better than their cousins. Both Philips siblings spent their Gap Years doing nothing more worthwhile than hanging out in pubs in Manly ( Sydney) Zara dated up a storm with the sons of wealthy Sydneyites. Neither did any voluntary work anywhere in the world.
Peter during his university days had boozy holidays on Ibiza ( along with mulitudes of other young Brits!) There are assorted photos of him and his friends there. Once he started work he was protected more or less as he got a job working with Jackie Stewart's formula 1 racing team. ( nepotism at its best as Jackie Stewart is close friends with Anne, his wife is god-mother to Zara) Spending time on the racing circuit meant that the British press didn't have that much access to him. The racing press were more interested in the drivers.
Zara got her tongue pierced when she was 17, failed to get good enough grades to get into university. ( Her own admissions, she wanted to go but didn't get the marks) Lived with her boyfriend and posed for Hello magazine and made money. Was seen publicly brawling with same boyfriend on several occasions before they split up. Last year with current boyfriend Mike Tindall, had a binge drinking session after the Cheltenham races that ended at 4am when sensibly they were driven home. Unfortunately the next morning at 10am Mike failed a breath test and was done for drunken driving and has now been convicted. Zara was just lucky that she wasn't driving or caught as well.
In the past Zara attended Royal Ascot wearing a dress split to the thigh, something that wouldn't pass the dress code anymore.
Peter Philips made money from his wedding by posing for pictures for Hello magazine, there were 2 interviews given as well. But the most controversial was the payment.
They are older now and quieter but really they were no better than their cousins.

[:previous:

Surely this doesn´t make anything the Princesses do right!

Surely this doesn´t make anything the Princesses do right!

I'm not part of the condemnation chorus when it comes to the 2 princesses. I don't think there's anything wrong with them, they're just like other people their age and better than some previous royals their age. ( European heirs Dutch Willem-Alexander was called prins pils, prince beer, CP Frederik the turbo prince, due to his speeding and one bad car accident with his brother. And of course the poster child for the royal rebel Princess Stephanie) Just pointing out that the Philips siblings were/ are not paragons of virtue either.

it amazes me how people justify the behavior of the young royals, or most young people as "everyone does it". getting drunk is not normal behavior. the world is littered with stories of young people partaking in this "normal" behavior and we now have a generation of spoilt kids with a sense of self entitlement the likes of which we've never seen. whatever happened to teaching our kids that they have a responsibilty to society? that they have to work for what they have/want? whether they like it or not these princesses have a responsibility to act and behave in a certain way, moreso than most people their age just by virtue of the fact of who they are. eugenie and beatrice should be carrying out duties. it doesn't have to be a lot, enough to show that they appreciate who they are and where they come from. i agree with iluvbertie that raising these kids to be "normal" has backfired enormously.

I'm not part of the condemnation chorus when it comes to the 2 princesses. I don't think there's anything wrong with them, they're just like other people their age and better than some previous royals their age. ( European heirs Dutch Willem-Alexander was called prins pils, prince beer, CP Frederik the turbo prince, due to his speeding and one bad car accident with his brother. And of course the poster child for the royal rebel Princess Stephanie) Just pointing out that the Philips siblings were/ are not paragons of virtue either.

I repeat surely this doesn´t make what the princesses do right. Perhaps you see no wrong in their behaviour, other people do.

I haven´t noticed many people criticizing the girls for their looks it has mainly been because of their lack of discretion. I see nothing wrong with Eugenie´s figure, it is full and healthy, the controversy was caused by what she was doing with it, and even then it was mainly because she should have known or suspected that photographers would be present.

And I really hope that people don't criticize the girls for their looks. I think that both princesses have lovely figures, and they look healthy and normal (I'm not talking about their clothes). The last thing these two need is to start worrying that they are not thin enough. They are both very pretty young women, and they seem to be intelligent. I believe that they both have the potential to do great things, after they outgrow their adolescent behavior.

Zara got her tongue pierced when she was 17, failed to get good enough grades to get into university. ( Her own admissions, she wanted to go but didn't get the marks) .

That is a strange comment as she has a degree in Equine Physiotherapy from Exeter University I believe.

She gained three A - levels (the same number as the others) and after her gap year she did attend university.

The only one of the Queen's grandchildren, who have so far left school, not to go to university has been Harry.

Very true, there is still time for them. I think that up until this generation we didn´t see the adolescence of the young royals in the spotlight, they may have got up to all kinds of pranks but they were taught to be more careful and to always be on their best behaviour in public, in fact to act befitting their rank.
I agree that it is about time that a healthy figure is admired instead of the ultra thin models we often see on catwalks.

I strongly disagree with those who think the Princesses shouldn't live a normal student-life. It's completely reactionary to believe they have to do abstraction of what everybody of their age does. Of course, they are royals but they didn't have a choice - it's not like they had become royals by marriage! You can't reproach something to someone that isn't of his responsibility. They weren't asked to be royals but because 'unfortunately' for them they are Royals, then they shouldn't have the right to have a normal youth? It's totally unjustified.

having a normal youth is, i believe, what everybody wants for them. but they do also have a responisibility, just like every other human being on earth.

I strongly disagree with those who think the Princesses shouldn't live a normal student-life. It's completely reactionary to believe they have to do abstraction of what everybody of their age does. Of course, they are royals but they didn't have a choice - it's not like they had become royals by marriage! You can't reproach something to someone that isn't of his responsibility. They weren't asked to be royals but because 'unfortunately' for them they are Royals, then they shouldn't have the right to have a normal youth? It's totally unjustified.

I agree with you, TheTruth. You raise an excellent point. These young women did not seek out their royal status. They were born to it. It is not reasonable to expect them to want to shun the typical adolescent experience of today's young people. They simply have the misfortune of having photographers around to capture their activities. I fully believe that they will grow up to become lovely women who have something to contribute to society. I know that I certainly am not proud of the way I behaved when I was their age (of course, I am a nobody, and thankfully, cameras weren't around to capture my image at parties). I think that there is a lot of criticism of Beatrice and Eugenie that often overlooks the fact that their cousins and many of the other young royals have behaved in similar fashion.

They should give up the perks then, or their father should. I don´t know whether it is unfortunate for them to be born royals, look at all the young ladies who would like to get a prince, and some have managed.:D
Maybe it is normal student life in Britain these days but I can assure you it is not that normal in some other countries. The normal student life that I have seen in my family is mainly studying so that they can get on with their lives and careers and there was no gap year caper either, the sooner their studies were over the better.

having a normal youth is, i believe, what everybody wants for them. but they do also have a responisibility, just like every other human being on earth.

Of course, everyone has responsibility: you, me, everybody. But the weight of theirs can easily become a burden and I believe that at their age, it's difficult to face it- we shouldn't judge them from what they do as young people. I know that as a young adult I can tend to do mistakes that I'll regret later, yet I don't have the photographers to capture it and remind me them every single day of my life.

These young women did not seek out their royal status. They were born to it. It is not reasonable to expect them to want to shun the typical adolescent experience of today's young people.

Both girls have no importance for the institution but got royal titles, a decision that is purely down to their parents. This is where the family had a choice (eg Anne took a different decision for her children). So they / their parents basically decided that they are royal - may I ask for what reason if they keep insisting to be "normal", lead "normal" lifes, do what their "normal" mates do and refrain from taking on royal duties? It has something from "making the best out of two worlds" and use the status for own purposes. When they behave like "normal" people (not so sure by the way that "normal" is indeed "normal" these days) and people take offence, they are the first to scream "hey, we are just normal young girls". But on the other hand they ask the taxpayer to pay for their security because, "hey, we are Princesses". As I said before, using their title as it suits, like a coat, taking it off and on again, what is despicable imo. So especially because they are unimportant, if they want to be "normal" they should give back their titles. No big deal. It's not as if they were born into something and had no choice, and here is where the parents come back into play. Like parents, like daughters. No bashing but it is all too evident.

William and Harry, they had no choice indeed. If they behave badly, that's equally despicable, but at the end of the day the public or the taxpayer can be sure that there will be time for payback, when they are forced into perfoming duties, as Princes, PoW, King (Harry being the spare until William has children). Beatrice and Eugenie have the potential for a life long benefit, nobody can ever force them into duty. The fact that they don't mind reminding the public every now and then, like, did you know you are funding my security in Thailand or when I am out at 4am in the London party scene? and don't seem to feel only a tiny bit ashamed about it speaks volumes of their attitude towards being a royal without a roadmap.

When they behave like "normal" people (not so sure by the way that "normal" is indeed "normal" these days) and people take offence, they are the first to scream "hey, we are just normal young girls". But on the other hand they ask the taxpayer to pay for their security because, "hey, we are Princesses". As I said before, using their title as it suits, like a coat, taking it off and on again, what is despicable imo. So especially because they are unimportant, if they want to be "normal" they should give back their titles.

Beatrice and Eugenie hardly ever give interviews, so I don't think they run to the media after every scandal screaming: "we are normal young girls!" Also, I don't think Beatrice and Eugenie have very much say at all in whether or not they have titles/police protection. I think it is a combination of tradition and the royal family/their parents' desire that they keep their titles and their security.

Duke of M, said the parents made the decision about the titles just as Prince Edward made the decision that his children would not be HRH and so let them off the royal hook you could say.
It is said that Prince Andrew insists on them keeping their titles and their security so it is their father who is saying they are not normal girls, but then they seem to want to do what their friends do, this naturally causes resentment, especially from the people who are paying for these perks, and probably other perks that are not so visible.

I hardly thinks it fair to make the comparison of what Edward did in 2003/2007 (the births of Louise and James) to what Andrew decided not to do in 1988/1990 (the births of Beatrice and Eugenie). Fifteen years had passed and the world was very different (i.e. the press, the death of Diana, the role of the monarchy). But that's neither here nor there.

And we are WAY OFF TOPIC! So we don't need to discuss any further the actions and/or behavior of Beatrice and Eugenie. As it stands now...Beatrice and Eugenie are HRH's so let's work on the assumption that they will take on more work within the BRF....so let's talk about what they should do when they graduate. What charities do you think they will take on? If and when Charles becomes King, how will they support him? Based on their interests (what we know so far) do you assume that they will take on full time paying jobs and work part time for the Crown?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom