Duties and Roles of Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie 1: Discussion Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some excellent points have been brought up in this discussion.
I hate to see the Queen dragged into B and E s lives. The Queen should not be
be held responsible for seeing that B & E are raised correctly - UNLESS they embarass the Crown which they are close to doing.
Andrew needs to grow up. He is almost 50 now and still seems caught back in his wild days as a bachelor. Look at wonderfully Prince Charles stepped in when Diana died and raised William & Harry.
Fergie is just a mess - she hangs around her Eurotrash friends - she makes a stab at charity work and crows about taking "her girls" to orphanages and such but none of this work seems to stick with B & E. It seems to have stuck with William & Harry!
B & E have two parents who need to lay down the law and get these two young women to straighten out their lives.
Sure, they can have fun like their peers, but in a more subdued and not-so-public way.

I've never found either girl to be "obnoxious". If anything, Princess Beatrice seems to be very sweet and girlish, although perhaps over-exposed in her evening wear at times.

Seems like they somehow feel that their HRH status gives them license to be tacky, obnoxious and, how do you say, it - Common.

I've never found either girl to be "obnoxious". If anything, Princess Beatrice seems to be very sweet and girlish, although perhaps over-exposed in her evening wear at times.
I was refering to her obnoxious behavior rather than personality. As I don't know her I can not say whether she's obnoxious, sweet or something in between.

When daughters run wild their parents usually step in but I am afraid it may be too late for that now. As far as their mother is concerned the person who always defended her behaviour was her father, we learn from our parents and he was not exactly a good role model.
The idea that is brought up so often is that they should be doing charity work. Why? If they are not so inclined that is hypocrisy, and I really dislike hypocrites. I think it would be perfectly reasonable to hear about the Princesses fewer times. Joining the family for Christmas, the Trooping of the Colour, the rest of their time they could spend however they pleased but not in the public eye. The ideal occupation for these two girls would be to diligently finish their education and to make the need for security officers unnecessary by keeping a much lower profile.

:previous: We are certainly 99% in agreement, I still think Andrew is partially to blame! :flowers:

:previous: We are certainly 99% in agreement, I still think Andrew is partially to blame! :flowers:

:previous: Make it 100% as I think that he is to blame too. :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
And then there are aunts Anne and Camilla....

I would love to see the reaction of all the Yorks if Camilla told say, Beatrice, that perhaps she might consider behaving in a certain manner or doing something!!!!!

I think it's important for the York girls to do charity work - whether they like it or not - because what else are they going to really do in life? Unless the British public abolishes the monarchy and the girls can go out and get jobs (or if they end up just being wealthy celebs that do nothing but shop, go out to eat and party no one will care 'cuz the British taxpayer won't be footing the bill for things like security), there really aren't too many options for royal princesses in the 21st century. Also, while there is still a RF I think it's good PR for this younger generation to actually do something besides party. As I've said before, do something to give back. Otherwise, what's the point, really? But I'm not paying for a royal family; their palaces, planes, trains and Bentleys, security, etc. So in the end, what the York girls do has absolutely no relevence to me. Tho looking in on the whole thing, I think it's more than just a little disresepectful for them to carry on w/out seemingly giving a hoot about how it may look to those struggling British subjects whose ancestors have supported their family for centuries and who are still supporting it. Bad taste.

I would love to see the reaction of all the Yorks if Camilla told say, Beatrice, that perhaps she might consider behaving in a certain manner or doing something!!!!!

Me too!:D But I think Camilla has all her life behaved very dignified and well-mannered in public - no matter what she did or how she felt in private. She was never caught on a pic with somebody other than her husband kissing her toes and I believe it would be difficult to find a pic showing her with her husband doing something inappropriate in public.

Being a member of a Royal family has a lot to do with representing this family in public, so what we should be talking about is mainly appearances, not character. There have been other princesses who loved to party etc. but at least they haven't done it in broad morning light in their family's capital but used more discreet places. If you want to be notorious, go abroard.

I am in complete agreement that fault for these girls' behavior lies directly at the feet of their parents--and that would be both Andrew and Sarah. Parents are responsible for setting boundaries and rules that apply to privileges. For example, growing up having a car was a privilege that could be taken away at any moment for bad grades, rudeness to my parents, not helping at home and doing chores, or just being irresponsible in general. Had I parked illegally, left my keys in the car, and then the car was stolen I feel quite certain that my father would have revoked all driving rights! There appears to have been a lack of discipline for the girls, which as you grow up makes it difficult for you to have personal discipline. That is the problem--not discipline or responsibility for choices all around. That's where Diana's family went wrong, that's where Diana went wrong--but you have to hand it to her, even if her own personal life was full of irresponsible behavior, she and Charles taught those boys who they were and the responsibilities they had. Sarah and Andrew, obviously have not.
As for charity work--why not have them do a little? They don't need to become patrons of anything, but they should perhaps accompany Anne somewhere or do some youth or preschool charity work--perhaps volunteering at a local school reading the library to children, or doing some Hospital volunteering, etc..... it wouldn't hurt them--they obviously have time--what with pole dancing and clubbing being such priorities.

I am in complete agreement that fault for these girls' behavior lies directly at the feet of their parents--and that would be both Andrew and Sarah. Parents are responsible for setting boundaries and rules that apply to privileges.

Could not agree more. The responsibility for bringing the girls up rests squarely on their parents, and nobody else. I don't think that either HM, Anne, Camilla or Sophie have any responsibility in this regard.

As regards their behaviour, I have often argued that it is key for the girls to find the right balance between being young students, and being responsible members of the BRF. Surely they are entitled to have the late nights out (as we all did, at their age) and parties etc, but they need to balance that with some charitable or "worthy" cause.

Perhaps if they limited the late nights out to weekends they wouldn´t be noticed that much, it is that during the week when most people know they have to go to school or to work the next morning. Also they could drop the expensive security which seems to be the main issue.

I also wonder if British people (I'm like Bella and have no taxpayer's interest in what these girls do) would be less critical of Beatrice and Eugenie if they didn't have costly security protection? That does seem to be the main issue. I don't think Prince Andrew would ever allow their bodyguards to be taken away, though--that's just my feeling.

The idea that is brought up so often is that they should be doing charity work. Why? If they are not so inclined that is hypocrisy, and I really dislike hypocrites. I think it would be perfectly reasonable to hear about the Princesses fewer times. Joining the family for Christmas, the Trooping of the Colour, the rest of their time they could spend however they pleased but not in the public eye. The ideal occupation for these two girls would be to diligently finish their education and to make the need for security officers unnecessary by keeping a much lower profile.

That's what I think too. I understand that the royal family, as a group, mainly exists for appearances. I tend to be more interested in a few of them as people and I forget that. As members of the royal family, Beatrice and Eugenie do seem to have an obligation to "appear" dutiful and useful as representatives of their country, but I personally like Menarue's argument that it rings faintly false, if not hypocritical, for the girls to do charity work only for the sake of their reputations and not out of any genuine interest.

But of course, anyone who does anything for the sake of appearances can be accused not only of hypocrisy, but uselessness. If the royal family only exists to make public appearances and do PR duties, at a huge cost to the taxpayer, should it exist?

I think I'll stop there because that kind of argument probably doesn't belong on a British royalty forum. I used to defend the monarchy because I was interested in the people in the British royal family, and finally I had to admit that I wasn't actually a monarchist. Which means I probably don't belong on a royalty forum at all...:lol:

Yet I'm interested in the people in the royal family. I feel sorry for Beatrice and Eugenie (and William and Harry) because I think they're pulled in two directions and as a result can't go far in either one. They are asked to be useful and told not to squander their money or appear entitled--and yet at the same time they're constantly reminded that they can't go out and get an ordinary job like most people who want to be "useful," and as much as they're forbidden from flaunting their royal status, they're also asked to remember their position, to behave better than their peers, to set a good example. I think it's kind of fascinating to watch because deep down, everyone knows that there is no essential difference between royals and commoners or the titled and untitled, but there seems to be such a strong human desire to believe otherwise. Americans seem to see every member of the Kennedy family as a cut above the common people, and I think even Canadians do the same with the Trudeaus. I think it's human nature to confer some kind of special status on a family or dynasty--but in some ways I always feel like it makes life twice as difficult for the younger royals, like Beatrice and Eugenie.

If Beatrice and Eugenie should act more like royals and their behaviour reflects badly on the royal family, then I think it is Prince Andrew and the Queen's responsibility to place some limits on their activities. I have no problem with most of their behaviour, but then I always forget that I'm supposed to be judging Beatrice and Eugenie as members of the royal family, not as ordinary eighteen and twenty year-old young women.

As members of the royal family, Beatrice and Eugenie do seem to have an obligation to "appear" dutiful and useful as representatives of their country, but I personally like Menarue's argument that it rings faintly false, if not hypocritical, for the girls to do charity work only for the sake of their reputations and not out of any genuine interest.

I would agree if the charity work done by the royal family was only a way to keep up reputations and appearances, but I don't think that's the case at all. The royals need to be seen out at charity appearances because having them there gets the name and the cause of the charity out in the public. Newspapers will pick up a story about a princess going and visiting a charity when they might not otherwise, and the same goes for people paying attention to the story.

And since drawing attention to these charitable causes is, in effect, a way to benefit the British nation as a whole, it makes sense that the girls should be doing them. The taxpayers are funding their security, and as they are both adults now, I think that the argument that they should "pay back" Britons by doing charity work is a fair one.

All of this may be moot, though, as I believe I remember both girls expressing interest in working for charitable causes in past interviews, so they very well may have a personal interest in such work.

Yes, PB and PE should set an example, wouldn't it be lov-er-ly if they were just a little more lady-like.

After reading all those posts, and thank you all for your differing opinions, maybe its too late for the York princesses, oh well, 'you either have or you haven't got - class'

After reading all those posts, and thank you all for your differing opinions, maybe its too late for the York princesses, oh well, 'you either have or you haven't got - class'

The girls do know how to behave at certain occassions...someone needs to warn these girls about how they are being portrayed in the press!I wonder what their grandmother,the Queen thinks...

Very well said, ada. However you failed to include the York princesse's mother in your comment! It may be abit late for Sarah but one can always have hope for Beatrice and Eugenie.

Are you kidding? Not this American.

I agree. Many in America might be fascinated by the story of the Kennedys, but to say that people think they're a cut above the rest of us is pushing it.

At the ages these girls are now William and Harry were doing the same things.

We are forgetting that these girls are still in full-time education and not active members of the Royal Family.

At some time in the future a decision will be made as to what their role will be - will it be like the Dukes of Gloucester and Kent and thus as active supporters of their grandmother, uncle and cousin when they are the monarch or will it be more like Prince Michael of Kent - having a more or less private occupation with occasional appearances/representation of the monarch?

When will that decision be made - probably in about 3 - 4 years time? When Beatrice leaves university. Eugenie is currently on a gap year so she has 3 - 4 years of education ahead of her as well. When that happens they will either have jobs or be full-time royals but seeing as it has allowed William not to be a full-time royal until into his 30s it is possible that neither of these girls will be full-time royals for another 10+ years, if at all.

If they aren't not going to be full-time royals then they don't need the security. Whether they need it now - well they have it and somebody somewhere there has to be someone who can say - no they don't need it and we aren't going to give it to them. (And I don't mean Andrew - I mean someone in the government).

I feel sorry for Beatrice and Eugenie (and William and Harry) because I think they're pulled in two directions and as a result can't go far in either one. They are asked to be useful and told not to squander their money or appear entitled--and yet at the same time they're constantly reminded that they can't go out and get an ordinary job like most people who want to be "useful," and as much as they're forbidden from flaunting their royal status, they're also asked to remember their position, to behave better than their peers, to set a good example.

But it is possible in London to live a quiet and dignified Royal life without sitting at home all the time. The other Windsors have managed well and the other Royals who live in London like the Greek and Dutch Royals would be equally interesting for the papers but manage to avoid them. Even in London IMHO it's possible to find entertainment without appearing in the Mail.

And since drawing attention to these charitable causes is, in effect, a way to benefit the British nation as a whole, it makes sense that the girls should be doing them. The taxpayers are funding their security, and as they are both adults now, I think that the argument that they should "pay back" Britons by doing charity work is a fair one.

All of this may be moot, though, as I believe I remember both girls expressing interest in working for charitable causes in past interviews, so they very well may have a personal interest in such work.

As to the first part I would say it would benefit the British nation if the money spent on these two girls was given directly to a chosen charity. :whistling: By appearing at a hospital accepting an expensive bunch of flowers, getting their photo taken and then lauded in the newspapers the next day, IMHO is not paying back their country for their privileged lives. To be fair they probably don´t even realise they have privileged lives it is something they have always had.
As to the second part, of course in an interview they are going to say they are interested in charitable causes, they have been told to say that from the time they were probably told they would be the subject of interviews. A sentence like that is easy to say and gives a good impression. Wasn´t Queen Mary alleged to have said with her tongue in her cheek "We are Royal so we love hospitals and factories!" :lol:
I think the time is coming for the BRF to really think seriously about what they want, do they want to have normal lives or do they want the royal family to be feted and revered for longer. I don´t think they can have it both ways for much longer. I like tradition and I would like the BRF to continue but not the way it seems to be heading. I just hope the Queen lives even longer than her mother did.:flowers:

But it is possible in London to live a quiet and dignified Royal life without sitting at home all the time. The other Windsors have managed well and the other Royals who live in London like the Greek and Dutch Royals would be equally interesting for the papers but manage to avoid them. Even in London IMHO it's possible to find entertainment without appearing in the Mail.

Of course it is but then these young ladies do have the example of their older HRH cousins, William and Harry before them as well. They also seem to think that they only way to have a good time is to get drunk at very public places and make spectacles of themselves.

The girls need to be told a few things but

a) will they listen,
b) who will tell them
c) and what does someone say to them when they reply 'William and Harry' did this as well so when they stop we will.

As to the first part I would say it would benefit the British nation if the money spent on these two girls was given directly to a chosen charity. :whistling: By appearing at a hospital accepting an expensive bunch of flowers, getting their photo taken and then lauded in the newspapers the next day, IMHO is not paying back their country for their privileged lives. To be fair they probably don´t even realise they have privileged lives it is something they have always had.
As to the second part, of course in an interview they are going to say they are interested in charitable causes, they have been told to say that from the time they were probably told they would be the subject of interviews. A sentence like that is easy to say and gives a good impression. Wasn´t Queen Mary alleged to have said with her tongue in her cheek "We are Royal so we love hospitals and factories!" :lol:
I think the time is coming for the BRF to really think seriously about what they want, do they want to have normal lives or do they want the royal family to be feted and revered for longer. I don´t think they can have it both ways for much longer. I like tradition and I would like the BRF to continue but not the way it seems to be heading. I just hope the Queen lives even longer than her mother did.:flowers:

While the present Queen is alive the Royal Family will remain the size it is now whereas Charles has already indicated that he would like to reduce its size.

I suspect that when Charles becomes King, the only real royals doing royal duties will be himself, his sons and their wives while the others live private lives and make their own way in the world (of course, they do have rather sizeable private incomes based on inheritance/trust funds etc).

Of course it is but then these young ladies do have the example of their older HRH cousins, William and Harry before them as well.
The difference being that, sexist as it may be, they are girls. Bad enough to see William and Harry staggering out of nightclubs but with girls it is so much worse.

While the present Queen is alive the Royal Family will remain the size it is now whereas Charles has already indicated that he would like to reduce its size.

I suspect that when Charles becomes King, the only real royals doing royal duties will be himself, his sons and their wives while the others live private lives and make their own way in the world (of course, they do have rather sizeable private incomes based on inheritance/trust funds etc).

Could not agree more.

I do think, therefore, that it is imperative that these girls think about developing careers for themselves independent of the royal family.

Some posters have commented that if the Wales boys could be seen out drinking every now and then, so should the York girls. The key difference, IMO, is that the Wales boys also happen to be serving officers in the armed forces, and are only ever seen out in their time off. The York girls, on the other hadn, seem to be stuck in their gap year, despitre Bea having enrolled at university!

Ground Hog Day Gap Year.... interesting and true.

Could not agree more.

I do think, therefore, that it is imperative that these girls think about developing careers for themselves independent of the royal family.

Some posters have commented that if the Wales boys could be seen out drinking every now and then, so should the York girls. The key difference, IMO, is that the Wales boys also happen to be serving officers in the armed forces, and are only ever seen out in their time off. The York girls, on the other hadn, seem to be stuck in their gap year, despitre Bea having enrolled at university!

Well said, Muriel. Also the Wales boys did engage themselves in some sort of social work abroad during their gap year. William in South America, if I remember correctly, and Harry in South Africa. Whereas the York girls seem to be travelling, partying ... etc. The personal shopper experience of Beatrice is ridiculous compared to a work camp where the hands really do get dirty. :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom