Duties and Roles of Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie 1: Discussion Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Beatrixfan

You have your ENTIRE life ahead of you, YEARS AND YEARS, you will get a job, one that you enjoy and find useful. I would propose to you that you have something that Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth DOES NOT and that is PRECISELY THOSE FUTURE YEARS. You cannot BUY those with wealth or secure them with power and influence. KWIM?

I have as limited a time as she does but we won't go into that. I'm not criticising the Queen. She's a lovely old soul and she's done her bit and I'm happy to let her live out her days in luxury. She's earned her keep. But Beatrice and Eugenie haven't and they do have those future years so what makes them deserving of special treatment when I'm not?

Of course, education is good, no matter what. What Beatrix Fan was saying is why the pretense about exams? Whether they pass or fail, it will not matter. I find no reason that they should not attend university. Just don't make it sound like they are working towards anything.

Of course, education is good, no matter what. What Beatrix Fan was saying is why the pretense about exams? Whether they pass or fail, it will not matter. I find no reason that they should not attend university. Just don't make it sound like they are working towards anything.

Unless things have changed drastically since I was at university (which is always possible given how long ago that was), you are required by law to have a certain minimum educational standard before being able to go to university. Not sure how things are these days, but when I was at school you couldn't go to university unless you had two A levels. Not even if you were one of the Queen's children could you get round that one. If Princess Eugenie wants to go to university to further her education, she needs to pass her exams at school.

I have as limited a time as she does but we won't go into that. I'm not criticising the Queen. She's a lovely old soul and she's done her bit and I'm happy to let her live out her days in luxury. She's earned her keep. But Beatrice and Eugenie haven't and they do have those future years so what makes them deserving of special treatment when I'm not?

People with wealth and connections get special treatment where others don't in every society. It doesn't just happen in monarchies and it doesn't just happen to people with peerages. It happens in the United States, it happens in Communist countries, and it probably also happens in Latvia, because that's the way humans are. Don't think for one minute that if the royal family was abolished and their wealth taken away from them it would make one iota's difference to how you were treated, because it wouldn't.

Elspeth,
You are absolutely right. There is a privileged stratum in every society or societal regime. Members of this stratum enjoy special treatment and easier life on some occasions.

People with wealth and connections get special treatment where others don't in every society. It doesn't just happen in monarchies and it doesn't just happen to people with peerages. It happens in the United States, it happens in Communist countries, and it probably also happens in Latvia, because that's the way humans are. Don't think for one minute that if the royal family was abolished and their wealth taken away from them it would make one iota's difference to how you were treated, because it wouldn't.

Oh i know. The poor shall awwalys be with us and all that. In Latvia and here. But whilst the Royal Famiyl here are given special treatment, could we possibly expect them to behave Royal? Would tthat be too much?

No, it wouldn't, and I think a lot of people agree with you on that score. However, since none of the younger royals seem to be getting into public duties, I assume there's a reason for it other than their laziness. If the Queen wanted them to start on the royal round, they would have.

No, BeatrixFan, it certainly is not too much to ask that members of the British Royal Family attempt to behave with dignity. I understand that the Princesses, well, I speak specifically about Princess Bea because she is 18 and getting ready to make some decisions about her life--Eugenie is off limits for now because of her age--but she appears to have a quiet reserve/dignity that will evolve over time.
Personally, I think Bea has the potential to be an embarassment to the BRF. She parties, prefers America (she has said she would like to live here), is all over the place with her plans (fashion designer, charity spokesperson, university student, actress), and just seems to not have any direction. If she is going to be an HRH then she needs to earn the HRH by taking on some duties--unless she goes to university. I think it is important to get an education--while in university she would gain maturity, learn how to set goals and become more responsible. She has said she wants to be a mini-mummy and do charity work--well, her only real asset for doing so is her title. I think its great she has a title, but she needs to do something to make having mean more than just a hereditary thing (even though that's what it is more or less)--

No, BeatrixFan, it certainly is not too much to ask that members of the British Royal Family attempt to behave with dignity. I understand that the Princesses, well, I speak specifically about Princess Bea because she is 18 and getting ready to make some decisions about her life--Eugenie is off limits for now because of her age--but she appears to have a quiet reserve/dignity that will evolve over time.
Personally, I think Bea has the potential to be an embarassment to the BRF. She parties, prefers America (she has said she would like to live here), is all over the place with her plans (fashion designer, charity spokesperson, university student, actress), and just seems to not have any direction. If she is going to be an HRH then she needs to earn the HRH by taking on some duties--unless she goes to university. I think it is important to get an education--while in university she would gain maturity, learn how to set goals and become more responsible. She has said she wants to be a mini-mummy and do charity work--well, her only real asset for doing so is her title. I think its great she has a title, but she needs to do something to make having mean more than just a hereditary thing (even though that's what it is more or less)--

I can certainly support each individuals need to gain maturity both in life experience and in matters of judgment. Being 18 years old is still quite young and there is still a great deal to learn about life, people and how the Universe works. :) I know for me personally that I would NOT want to be held responsible for every statement I made and every misjudgment I made at 18 and even into my 20s. Growing up can be challenging for anyone, anywhere and I would think doing so under a very bright public spotlight would enhance the difficulty.

What is so great about her having a title? A title for what? It is a door opener for many things, but if she wants a real life, she should drop the title, finish school, find a profession, work, live wherever she likes and be an asset to herself and others. More than likely, she will never been queen. She will be a also ran royal, looking for some gratification for existing. She loves her mother, as she should, but will, as she grows, also she her shortcomings. Charity work is nifty, but real work gives you self worth and fulfillment. She is young, she deserves a real chance at a life that is more than ceremonial. At another time in history, she would have been married off to some foreign prince and would have had a life elsewhere. All of that is over. So give the kid a break. Set her free to persue real life and not at a nightclub door.

She's the one who can set herself free by saying she wants to leave the royal family. If she wishes to remain a Princess of the United Kingdom, then sooner or later she'll have to start taking on royal duties unless she wants to reinforce the public's perception of the young royals as privileged layabouts.

She's the one who can set herself free by saying she wants to leave the royal family. If she wishes to remain a Princess of the United Kingdom, then sooner or later she'll have to start taking on royal duties unless she wants to reinforce the public's perception of the young royals as privileged layabouts.

I know that I have SOME notions about what Royal Duties MIGHT entail, but honestly I really don't KNOW. Would someone from the UK or with an extensive background in UK affairs please educate me about what Royal Duties entail and when a member of the Royal Family is expected to begin to engage in them?

Thanks to all my British friends and teachers, you are truly providing me with an interesting and provocative education and I deeply appreciate your taking your time to do so.

I can certainly support each individuals need to gain maturity both in life experience and in matters of judgment. Being 18 years old is still quite young and there is still a great deal to learn about life, people and how the Universe works. :) I know for me personally that I would NOT want to be held responsible for every statement I made and every misjudgment I made at 18 and even into my 20s. Growing up can be challenging for anyone, anywhere and I would think doing so under a very bright public spotlight would enhance the difficulty.

When I think back to 1980, the year I turned 18, then I recall that we were non-stop doing this kind of charity work or that, while we were in school. We sold African products on the weekly market in our town for charity, we did charity walks and asked all our friends and relatives to pay a sum of money for each kilometer we made, we organized children's play in summer at the lakes and asked the parents for a donation... I even knitted something for charity! :D - and how we would have wished for a princess to get a bit of public attention for our aims and our work!

If princess Beatrice had been so inclinded, I guess she could have delved already into charity work, but not the glamerous charity but the one where you actual do the work. That we haven't heard about that makes me wonder if she ever was involved in something like that?

Or: have we ever heard that princess Beatrice learned to sew or how to deal with a start-up business before she announced that she wanted to become a fashion designer? We had successful 18 y.o. back then, but they had done additional trainings that took up their spare times: learning to dance and to sing or attending the extra-schooling which prepared them to open up a small business. We were encouraged to dream about a brighter future, but at the same time were taught that it takes hard work to end up at the top and to stay there....

What is so great about her having a title? A title for what? It is a door opener for many things, but if she wants a real life, she should drop the title, finish school, find a profession, work, live wherever she likes and be an asset to herself and others.-SHORTENED_.
It does open doors and I have no problem with her not getting any profession. She should however drop the HRH, if she is not going to follow her Aunts example, soon! If she drops the HRH, as long as she is not living off of my money, she can shop till she drops, drive fast cars, bum around, whatever, answerable only to her parents. :rolleyes: Whilst she is parading about with an HRH, she is answerable to the people of the UK.
Do you mean to say education is only useful if you need to get a job?
Education is always important, whether you are 7 or 107! :lol:

Regarding her role as Princess, there are two things. There is an expectation from the public and from her place in the royal families to do some duties for the royal families. There may be, a princess of her age as a young adult, a small number of engagements to gain experience in those areas. She may well take on some of the Queen Elizabeth II's delegation of engagements as the Queen gets older and Princess Beatrice gains experience in royal engagements.

Meanwhile, as long as she is holding onto her princely title, she is somewhat bounden to behave as befitting a modern princess. Hopefully she will not do anything scandalous! I am hoping that she will obtain some career advice from a suitable professional, and make plans to continue her studies or start work or business. If she lacking in ideas perhaps she can be inspired by her interests, as fashion. If she is good at needlework, and have knowledge of fashion, then perhaps fashion design would be an option.

As regards her travels abroad, and going to parties, this would be the time of one's life to do so, before there are commitments to constrain such leisurely pursuits.

Regarding charity work, do we mean obtaining patronage of charities, or doing actual voluntary work for a charity? Both are good. To become a patron, one must be invited by the management of charities. People, even if famous, cannot just approach the directors of a charity requesting patronage! Voluntary work is good (and would raise my esteem for her) also, but would require special treatment such as security arrangements for the princess.

Hopefully, Princess Beatrice will do something that will raise her public esteem.

The unkind fate of birth.

Let me just say I can't believe what I'm reading. Pss Beatrice just got out of school. She's at an age where she's trying to figure out just what she wants to do w her (limited) prospects in life. Give the girl a break. Who's to say she won't take the reigns from the Princess Royal in terms of royal duties. When Pss Anne was young she was publically rude and her life revolved around the elitist interest of horses. Hardly earning her "keep" at those horse shows! The Monarchy has changed significantly from the days of HM's youth when she was out doing her royal duties as a preteen. And who's to say where the RF will be once HM is gone. Unfort. there are more ppl who think like BeatrixFan (no offense) and are expecting/demanding more of their royal family and how their tax $$$ are being spent, and that's fine. It means the RF will have to stop taking for granted the luxuries of their forebearers and perhaps start really "working" for their "keep". And if that is to be the future of the British Monarchy, then maybe Pss B & E will end up getting jobs or getting their hands dirty in their chosen charities.

Also she can't just give up her HRH. It would be a long drawn out process. Other members of the RF would be involved and undoubtedly try to talk her out of it. Parliament would have to get involved. It's not as simple as her saying, "I want to be a normal girl." And even w/out the HRH, she is still a Princess of the Blood Royal and that will NEVER change. She will NEVER be like you or me and that is both a curse and a blessing, I'd assume. Hopefully, as she matures, like ALL of us, she will become more aware of her responsibilities, etc. Why not wait and see.

First post so please be gentle.:)

I am infuriated by all the comments about Beatrice being young so therefore its all right for her to do nothing other than party.:rolleyes:

I'll happily concede that Eugenie is still at school and I wouldn't expect her to be doing anything other than that but this 'gap year' nonsense for Beatrice is simply that......nonsense.:mad:

Since when was a 'gap year' ever seen as acceptable as a year for partying and holidays? She only needs to look to the examples of her cousins, William and Harry,both closer to the throne and both much more worthy of the title of HRH than she will ever be.

I know of many young people who have had a 'gap year' which involved both working holidays and volunteer work for charities abroad.This enabled these young people to expand their horizons ,learn about other cultures, mature and return as rounded young adults ready to go on into further education. Now correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that exactly what William and Harry both did?

Perhaps I'm being very harsh (especially for a first post :blush:) but I saw enough freeloading from the mother to last me for a very long time.
I'm with BeatrixFan all the way on this one.

Oooh. Thanks Fabulous. Great to see a Blackpooler on the forums!

I think you make a vital point, gap years do seem to have become a year where you get drunk, go on long holidays and generally bum around. I thought they were supposed to be for taking in new things. I may not like William you're quite right, he did do a gap year that didn't just include getting ratted on Babycham.

As an aside,and its of no consequence,my three teenagers started paid employment at aged 13 but they have been taught that no-one owes them a living.;)

These parasites have never had to learn such a thing,due to the indulgence of their parents.:angry:

I truly think as the years go by, the Princesses will likely have little relevance to the RF. Yes, now, they are granddaughters of a monarch, but some day they will be the nieces of the monarch and then eventually, cousins of a monarch, and well, do the Queen's cousins really play a daily role in the monarchy? Yes I completely agree that the Duke and Duchess of Glouchester are important and do carry out officially duties, but I would think as the monarchy progresses forward (as times change)the cousins of a monarch will bear little impact. The reason I say that is because I thought part of the reason the Earl and Countess of Wessex didn't want titles for their children is because, in part, the need to "stream-line" the RF. And wasn't there chatter in the past of stripping Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie of their titles? I thought I read that somewhere.....
I hope that doesn't sound harsh, I truly don't mean it to, but those are my thoughts on B and E.

Prince Harry's gap year saw him in Queensland, Australia wrangling cattle and in Lesotho, Africa where he helped build a clinic and bridge. There was talk in January of 2007 Princess Beatrice wanting to spend her gap year working with her mum for the charity Springboard for Children. Did that ever happen this year? I can only find bits about her traveling with friends and going to parties.

The Royal Family have public money and private money. Their public money is very carefully documented, and we taxpayers pay about 63p each a year towards them. (I think this is just under a Euro and just over a US Dollar.) I for one don't get bitter and twisted about this. I think it is very good value for what we get in pomp and circumstance and all the general an charitable duties that The Queen, Prince Philip, Prince Charles, Princess Anne, Prince Andrew, Prince Edward, The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, The Duke of Kent, Princess Alexandra of Kent, and Prince and Princess Michael of Kent all do. (Okay, those after Prince Edward don't do something every week - but they also only get a little money for the things they do.)

If we were to have a President, we would probaby have to pay nearly as much, and we wouldn't get all the glamour and family attached. (Just think who we might have had as president - usually former politicians - John Major, Margaret Thatcher, Paddy Ashdown, Michael Foot? Or possbily a trade unionist or two, such as Arthur Scargill? Or a film star - Peter Ustinov, Michael Caine, Albert Finney, Maggie Smith?) All countries have Heads of State and it seems to me that the Constitutional Monarchies of Europe provide an good solution, separating the politicians (Heads of Government) from the Heads of State.

On the younger members of the Royal Family, William and Harry are Army Officers, who have a few charities under their wings. Beatrice and Eugenie are still teenagers, and would not be expected to take on duties so young. Peter and Zara Phillips are not Royal - they have a lot of money (but no-one seems to complain about this) and lead their own lives.

Yes, some of them seem to be at a lot of parties - but their peer group go to a lot of parties. Come to think of it, when I was their age, I went to a lot of parties. My children went to a lot of parties. The difference is that we did not have a lot of paparazzi waiting outside to take photos of us. I think we all might have occasion to blush if we had. I think the ages of the Princes/Princesses are between about 25 and 17. If you can't spend some of your evenings and weekends socialising when in that age group, you would be a very sad person. I feel sure that Beatrice and Eugenie will take on royal duties, but probably not until they are some years older.

And, if Sarah, Duchess of York, wants to give money to her daughters, why shouldn't she? Since her divorce, she has received no public money. She has worked very hard and earns good money. Like most mothers, she probably doesn't keep it all to herself, but provides many things for her girls.

Beatrice is FAR too busy to think about a job.
Mummy taught her well,I'd say.:mad:

Beatrice and her beau enjoy romantic embrace while moosing around on the slopes | the Daily Mail

I respectfully totally disagree. Sarah, Duchess of York has EARNED a great deal of money since her divorce from Prince Andrew, on her own. From what I have seen she has worked really hard for what she has gotten and she did NOT get an extremely generous divorce settlement. Both of her daughters could do a great deal worse than to follow in her footsteps.

First post so please be gentle.:)
Fabulous Fake--I enjoyed your post very much and welcome to the Forums! I'm sure you'll quickly find out addictive it is!

Last edited by a moderator:
Fabulous Fake--I enjoyed your post very much and welcome to the Forums! I'm sure you'll quickly find out addictive it is!

Thank you.:flowers:

I read a lot about British Royalty so I'm glad to be here.:)

The Royal Family have public money and private money. Their public money is very carefully documented, and we taxpayers pay about 63p each a year towards them. (I think this is just under a Euro and just over a US Dollar.) I for one don't get bitter and twisted about this.... EDITED....On the younger members of the Royal Family, William and Harry are Army Officers, who have a few charities under their wings. Beatrice and Eugenie are still teenagers, and would not be expected to take on duties so young. Peter and Zara Phillips are not Royal - they have a lot of money (but no-one seems to complain about this) and lead their own lives. ... EDITED....And, if Sarah, Duchess of York, wants to give money to her daughters, why shouldn't she? Since her divorce, she has received no public money. She has worked very hard and earns good money. Like most mothers, she probably doesn't keep it all to herself, but provides many things for her girls.
Zara and Peter are both royals, both are grandchildren of HM in exactly the same way as William, Harry, Beatrice and Eugenie are. Perhaps if UK taxpayers did not have to pay for the 'unneeded' bodyguards for Beatrice and Eugenie, the money could go towards the upkeep of the palaces, which bring in a lot more money than B & E.

I don't have any problem with Sarah or Andrew spending money on the girls, but if he wants them to have 'protection' because they are HIS daughters and he wants to ensure they keep the HRH, perhaps it is time their parents paid!

To Alison20

I very much agree with you dear Alison!
I've written almost the same on the Prince William thread. I would gladly give up my President to your Royal Family! And those few pennies are really not that much, I would pay tenfolds more in a year to have a monarchy rather than a republic!:lol:

Prince Harry's gap year saw him in Queensland, Australia wrangling cattle and in Lesotho, Africa where he helped build a clinic and bridge. There was talk in January of 2007 Princess Beatrice wanting to spend her gap year working with her mum for the charity Springboard for Children. Did that ever happen this year? I can only find bits about her traveling with friends and going to parties.

Here's the latest news about HRH's 'workload.' :lol:

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/30563/Love-ties-princess-to-Britain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom