Duties and Roles of Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie 1: Discussion Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it would be wonderful if that was to be the case. Then again, Beatrice herself may not want to be officially part of the working "Firm". We really have no idea as she's never said anything publicly about it.

It would be rather tricky for her to say anything publicly, one way or the other. As an HRH, she cannot simply say she's not interested in "working for the Firm", as it is more or less implied that HRHs must be available to do royal duties if called upon by the Queen. On the other hand, however, she cannot openly say she would like to do more royal work as that could sound like she is imposing herself, or second-guessing the Queen's current judgement about not giving her any official duty. Furthermore, she also risks a confrontation with Prince Charles if she sounds too "pushy".

Having said that, I feel she would like to do more and sometimes sends signals in that direction, not least through her father.

How much ever she may love or favour him, I just can't see Andrew as her "plus one".. He just doesn't deserve that.. JMO..

He is the obvious choice as he is single and thus doesn't have a partner at events.

If it is to be Charles then there would be fewer Charles and Camilla activities - or do all the males move up to partner the male above them's wives - William with Camilla, Harry with Kate and then Andrew with Harry's future spouse.

Surely it would be easier to have Andrew accompany the Queen on some of these occasions.

He may not be the most popular member of the family but he is one of the hardest working - despite the lack of press coverage.

^^

Eugenie may be, but I think Beatrice has been drifting for quite some time. She is said to be building a business, but I doubt that will amount to much.
I think she is one royal who would truly love to be part of The Firm.

Instead of Andrew as the Queen's plus one, why not Beatrice?

For what it seem quite a few people might be HM plus one to events. Although it's unlikely to happen. I think it would be lovely to have Beatrice or Eugenie as a plus one occasionally, even if its unofficial. I can picture Beatrice as a plus one with HM during royal maundy services, since she already accompanied them once to one before, but for all we know she may not want to work for the form full time, and is happy with her place

The season is starting to approach where the Queen holds her garden parties. These are events that the York girls attend with the Queen and probably still will this year.

I'm inclined to believe that when it comes to official CC events that the Queen attends, it will be mostly the senior royals that will accompany HM.

For what it seem quite a few people might be HM plus one to events. Although it's unlikely to happen. I think it would be lovely to have Beatrice or Eugenie as a plus one occasionally, even if its unofficial. I can picture Beatrice as a plus one with HM during royal maundy services, since she already accompanied them once to one before, but for all we know she may not want to work for the form full time, and is happy with her place

If she liked her place, she would holiday in Balmoral and not some stinky yacht.

At 20 something, would one really rather prefer to hang out at Balmoral with the grandparents and the older set or be with their friends having fun?

I have no qualms about what my answer to that question would be. ;)

Posted by Iluvbertie on another thread, but this is more pertinent to this one:

(My bold)

They are neither wanted or needed as working royals - either by the next couple of Kings or the British public (my two trips there in the last two years saw not one person speak with any liking for the girls - total 'wastes of air and space' was the most common comment I heard when I asked what people thought about them. No one I have ever spoken to in Britain or elsewhere in my travels who is British has ever had a good word to say about the girls - except for the British posters on here.

Even when I was at Trooping the Colour and they came past in the carriage the comments were scathing about the girls from everyone around me.

How absolutely mean about two girls who only ever smile politely and nicely when they see a camera, or are 'on show' like Trooping.

I know there has been no 'confirmation' from BP or the BRF about the future role of the girls but the story about a slimmed down royal family has been doing the rounds now for close on a quarter of a century. The people will feel betrayed if Charles doesn't follow through with this idea now - rightly or wrongly. The press are in control and they have made it clear - good Diana's sons vs bad Fergie's daughters - and so no role for the girls.

The press indeed still have a large sway over the uninformed by writing crap and untruths and lies in popular women's (and other) magazines.

How absolutely mean about two girls who only ever smile politely and nicely when they see a camera, or are 'on show' like Trooping.

The press indeed still have a large sway over the uninformed by writing crap and untruths and lies in popular women's (and other) magazines.

I absolutely agree with this--I don't think people would be so biased against them if those wretched, mostly made up, stories weren't being peddled. It is cruel.

what made up stories? I don't see anything harldy in the UK press about the York girls just the occasional boyfriend story. they aren't wanted on the royal duty roster, IMO because people would prefer a slimmed down monarchy, and the York girls are not needed. and they're not overly popular because of their parents and they themselves don't see to be doing anything to work against that. if they were seen as dedicatd to their jobs, there would be stories about it ad tey'd be better liked..

Bea and Eugenie work. They have their own jobs. And occasionally participate in activities of the Royal House.

well that's what is asked of them. that they do the odd activity as royals but that they are not full time royal wrokers. Charles almost certainly IMO wants to slim things down and not have to support the York girls all his life or leave them on Williams payroll when he is gone. So he wont be using them to do anything but the odd engagement. if they want to work at "real jobs" fine.. or if they want to be trust fund heiresses and socialites that's fine provided they do it in a moderate manner and don't get into scandals.

well that's what is asked of them. that they do the odd activity as royals but that they are not full time royal wrokers. Charles almost certainly IMO wants to slim things down and not have to support the York girls all his life or leave them on Williams payroll when he is gone. So he wont be using them to do anything but the odd engagement. if they want to work at "real jobs" fine.. or if they want to be trust fund heiresses and socialites that's fine provided they do it in a moderate manner and don't get into scandals.

Charles and William may end up supporting the girls anyway.
I don't know if they can be described as trust-fund heiresses; they did have trust funds at one point, but Fergie had access to them (who thought that was a good idea?)

There might not be anything left.

Bea and Eugenie work. They have their own jobs. And occasionally participate in activities of the Royal House.
Eugenie certainly has a job and works.
Beatrice, not so much, she seems to be following in her mother's footsteps & 'starting a business.'
In regards to Charles and William having to support the girls, Andrew lives quite well, so presumably the Queen has enabled him to accumulate the reserves that will be needed to support the girls in the future. I can't imagine a scenario where the girls would expect to be funded by Charles or William, nor would Peter, Zara, Louise or James. When George V died he left money to all of his children except David, I would expect the Queen will do so as well, & most likely already has via trusts as her mother did.

It is assumed by some fellow posters that Andrew is a wealthy man. Is he indeed? And, if yes, what is the source of his wealth?

It is assumed by some fellow posters that Andrew is a wealthy man. Is he indeed? And, if yes, what is the source of his wealth?

I've wondered that too, mostly because it has been said that Fergie, unlike Diana, didn't receive much of a settlement after the divorce.

I've always thought Andrew was basically subsidized by the Queen, and had little cash or property of his own.

That may not be accurate, since many say all the Royals have substantial trust funds.
But I've always assumed the heir gets just about everything and the rest fend for themselves.

He sold his home in 2007 for £15 million, £3 million over the asking price. He no doubt has investments plus a trust fund from the Queen.

He's not living paycheque to paycheque

IIRC weren't the Queen's children left a decent amount of money etc from the QM?

LaRae

He sold his home in 2007 for £15 million, £3 million over the asking price.

That was somewhat dodgy though, wasn't it?
The place was rather derelict so why did someone pay that much?

IIRC weren't the Queen's children left a decent amount of money etc from the QM?

LaRae

Yes it was reported about 3 million pounds each. The girls also have money from when the family home was sold. The girls could live lavishly off the interest of their trust funds without eating into actual assets.

Thanks Countessmeout that's what I thought...couldn't imagine they wouldn't be set up well...and will inherit more after Andy passes.

LaRae

LaRae

No, the entire estate of the late Queen Elizabeth went to her only surviving child, Queen Elizabeth II.

Source

The estate was rich in properties but was poor in cash, as the Queen Mother left substantial debts. So I don´t see where the working capital should have come from to leave "a decent amount of" money to her six grandchildren (The Prince of Wales, The Princess Royal, The Duke of York, The Earl of Wessex, The (then) Viscount Linley and Lady Sarah).

Last edited:
I believe there have been many many rumours over the years about some sources of Andrew's wealth, (and Sarah's borrowings), some of which might be worth the media looking into. It's been said that, at least during Andrew's trade envoy days, he networked and made many valuable friendships with wealthy foreigners.

No, the entire estate of the late Queen Elizabeth went to her only surviving child, Queen Elizabeth II.

Source

The estate was rich in properties but was poor in cash, as the Queen Mother left substantial debts. So I don´t see where the working capital should have come from to leave "a decent amount of" money to her six grandchildren (The Prince of Wales, The Princess Royal, The Duke of York, The Earl of Wessex, The (then) Viscount Linley and Lady Sarah).

According to the article linked, the QM set aside money in trust funds for her grandchildren in 1994.

Source

The monies left to grand children and other family members were probably given to trusts long before she died, so would not have been part of her estate

Charles and William may end up supporting the girls anyway.
I don't know if they can be described as trust-fund heiresses; they did have trust funds at one point, but Fergie had access to them (who thought that was a good idea?)

There might not be anything left.

I doubt if Sarah was a trustee so she could only have access to the income and then only if the trustees/girls agreed surely?
I understood that the dvorce settlement gave money directly to the girls in trust funds and gave Sarah very little. Probably because she's known to be so bad with money it was best to set it up directly for the children.
Its possible that if they wind up in financial problems, Charles and Will may have to support them at some stage out of family loyalty, but I think C is trying to minimise the chances of that happening. He wants to keep unnecessary people away from "doing royal duties" so that he can try and avoid having to support them.. If they "work as royals" he may end up wit havng to pay for thtem later on, as the queen has had to do with the Kents. and I thik he also wants to avoid a situation where there are lots and lots of royals working because that way if one of them gets into trouble or causes a scandal he has some distance from tehm.

According to the article linked, the QM set aside money in trust funds for her grandchildren in 1994.

Yes, I have seen that, but they inherited nothing from the late Queen Elizabeth, as was the assumption: her entire estate went to her only surviving child. When trust funds were created for her grandchildren, we may assume she made no difference in the children of her daughter Elizabeth or the children of her daughter Margaret. I can not peek in the purse of Andrew or Edward or David or Sarah but none of them appear very wealthy to me. My feeling says that they are well-off, have the luck to have been provided great housing and use of services from the Court but would they all be multi-millionaires, to say something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom