Duties and Roles of Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie 1: Discussion Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's up to Charles because he will be the one responsible for the Yorks as working royals. It wouldn't make any sense for them to have an official role with the Firm during the Queen's reign only for Charles to nix it when he's king.

I don't know if this story is true but in every version I read the Queen defers to Charles on this and Charles says no.

It's up to Charles because he will be the one responsible for the Yorks as working royals. It wouldn't make any sense for them to have an official role with the Firm during the Queen's reign only for Charles to nix it when he's king.

I don't know if this story is true but in every version I read the Queen defers to Charles on this and Charles says no.

I agree it would be Charles who would decide he's the one that will have to "balance the books" going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

While I've always known that Andrew is very status conscious as in "I'm the prince", if this story is true and Andrew is complaining about W&K&H overshadowing his daughters, he's been baking out in the sun too long. Just needs a dollop of sour cream and some chives.

I seriously get the feeling that if Charles really does not want the girls as working royals, HM wouldn't go ahead and put them "on the payroll" so to speak and have Charles "fire" them when the time comes.

I'd be very, very surprised if Beatrice and Eugenie ever do become working royals for the "Firm".

William, Harry and wives would overshadow the Yorks just because of their positions in the family.

I was wondering when the press would bring that up again, every now and then when the press wants to talk about the York princesses charities/duties or they see them a bit more active in those areas they like to come up with this story, they even added they kate rivalry into the article. That will defiantly perk up some ears for gossip. The press seems to have a pattern with them. Next up will be their 'partying' ways.. probably .. But if true in some way PC and PA seem to have to come to an understanding of sorts as they seem a bit more active, but then again its a special year for their grandmother and they are usually active with their chairities family events, even in unofficial level.

Either way must be a slow news day to bring this up again.

Last edited:
There isn't anything new here. Charles clearly doesn't want Bea and Eugenie representing the Firm and that's that.

Andrew is either as thick as two short planks or he's just posturing. Either way it's up to Charles and he doesn't show any interest in the Yorks having an official role.

I'm more annoyed that Camilla T. has the gall to call this an 'exclusive'. Like you said it's nothing new and has been reported since the '90s.

I can only imagine the forthcoming articles:

Exclusive by Camilla T. - Prince Philip had nazi brother-in-laws!

Exclusive by Camilla T. - The Queen prefers Windsor Castle over Buckingham Palace!

Exclusive by Camilla T.- Prince Harry is 32 and single!

Just because we all have heard it before doesn't mean that others have.

Interesting story over Beatrice and Euegine's official royal roles. Something must have worked out. Beatrice and Euegine are more busy on duties this year.

Prince of Wales and brother Andrew clash over princesses' royal duties | Royal | News | Daily Express

There isn't anything new here. Charles clearly doesn't want Bea and Eugenie representing the Firm and that's that.

Andrew is either as thick as two short planks or he's just posturing. Either way it's up to Charles and he doesn't show any interest in the Yorks having an official role.
I am surprised that you both seem to take this nasty piece if work as gospel when there is nothing to support the story at all.

Love him or loath him, Prince Andrew is not stupid or thick as two short planks! He knows his place in the famiy and he can count. Any whiff of credibility was shot with Andrew's supposed assertion that his daughters were being overshadowed by William, Catherine and Harry! Hello!!!

Come on people, use your nous. This is just another swipe at Andrew and his daughters with not one whit of evidence to support anything other than it was a slack news week.

:previous: Agreed :flowers:

Love how they gloss over facts. Like claiming Eugenie has no intentions of a career, and pushing the engagement rumours. Over looking the fact that she had a full time job at an art gallery for over a year, after spending two years working n auctions in New York.

Or the fact that it implies they suddenly started taking up charity work, to try and push their public image. Over looking the fact both girls have been patrons of a handful of charities since they came of age, and with their mom as teens :bang:

Should have seen the story coming. They have been getting too much good press. Eugenie with her job article, Beatrice with her photos in Nepal. It was over due for a smear piece to remind people they are lazy worthless socialites.

Last edited:
Well the article mixed up which York daughter did what in a few places - that seems to happen fairly often, but why? It's not like they look alike and it shouldn't be that hard to get the correct name attached to an event or a pix.
The story line has legs because it fits certain themes - the jealous younger brother tries to use his position as the Quenn's spoiled favorite child to maneuver better positions for his daughters - the 'true Princesses' over that interloper commoner William married.
Hopefully it's all hogwash as it would be unfortunate if Andrew had led his daughters to expect to be supported by the Crown in the way that he's been. The days of many ancillary family members being supported just because they are Royal are in the past, I think. As long as the York daughters are prudent their trusts along with whatever additional funds Andrew & their grandparents have tucked away for them should enable them to live comfortably. I'm sure they are welcome to live at KP when space becomes available if they choose to, but I expect that they'll need to pay fair market rent like the Prince Michaels currently do.

Last edited:
I'm just saying...the girls do seem to be more busy this year with their own roles. We know they have to carve out their own careers, but one is always wondering if they will gain official roles within the firm. They're good at official side of things.

I do support a smaller royal family though. It's smart, to the point and just better.

If the Queen lives to 100 and I really hope she does the girls will be in their thirties likely married with kids.It is up to Charles so far he doesnt want them in professional roles. Maybe when he cut's back he will find out he does need them. Do Annes children Peter and Zara do anything besides their jobs? As for Andrew being smart I have read several stories with people who worked with him and besides being arrogant and not very bright he had no idea what he was doing and a lot of people ended up with red faces because of his gaffes. He has never been called smart.

Beatrice is 28 and not even listed on the Royal Family website.

I have nothing against the Yorks but reading the tea leaves it doesn't look like either Eugenie or Beatrice are destined for an official role within the Firm.

Both girls will continue with their own causes and jobs and probably be called on from time to time to fill in here and there but not in any kind of official capacity.

:previous: I'm not sure "listing" on the Royal website is any measure of anything. The Royal Encyclopedia is also not technically in the pull down menu - but it's a huge part of the website. Royal.uk is a search driven, nested website. I get confused/lost there regularly. A search for Bea leads you to: https://www.royal.uk/search?tags[0]=Beatrice and there she is.

She's also on the succession page: https://www.royal.uk/succession

She is not listed as a choice in the Diary or CC pull downs - but then neither are Charlotte, George, Tim Lawrence or others with fewish appearances. You can search for her there as a keyword.

My point is the design of royal website leaves a lot of us cold for a lot of reasons. She nor we should get offended, IMO.

But even on the old website, the York girls were never listed under the heading 'Members of the Royal Family' and when you click on the link for Beatrice on royal.uk it takes you to the Duke of York's website.

:previous: Agreed :flowers:

Love how they gloss over facts. Like claiming Eugenie has no intentions of a career, and pushing the engagement rumours. Over looking the fact that she had a full time job at an art gallery for over a year, after spending two years working n auctions in New York.

Or the fact that it implies they suddenly started taking up charity work, to try and push their public image. Over looking the fact both girls have been patrons of a handful of charities since they came of age, and with their mom as teens :bang:

Should have seen the story coming. They have been getting too much good press. Eugenie with her job article, Beatrice with her photos in Nepal. It was over due for a smear piece to remind people they are lazy worthless socialites.

I don't know if it was exactly good press I seem to remember the press trying to write off Bea's charity work as a holiday, the press still found was to try to put them under the bus

One thought I had was "why is Andrew bringing this up again" (assuming the article is true to begin with). Nothing has changed w/in the York family...

but whoa! wait a minute! something did change. Bea & Dave are no longer together.....

I wondered if this is being brought up again because of the Bea & Dave breakup. The plan of Bea marrying off has been dashed. What's her plan for the future. Ah! She may not have one. Thus Andrew is worried about her (and Eug's) future and thus bringing the "royal role" issue back into the forefront.

I find the "oh by the way they need big rooms at Kensington palace" out of place in his request for a royal role. My thought was that since the girls may not end up marrying well Fergie is worried about living in cramped quarters when she moves in w/the girls in her old age.....

IMO the timing of Andrew's letter may be a reaction/realization that the plan of the girls marrying well may not happen and he's getting nervous.... IMO

If true, Andrew is really running in circles... Maybe it would have all been easier if the girls had gotten the same direction of life as Anne did with her ow children? Who knows. I think it is too late to complain or have any claim now...

:previous: I wondered the same thing.... Bea and Dave splitting

And then I thought Eugenie and KP residence...

Then I thought ££££. If you live in KP, its only rent free if you are a working royal or it forms part of yr contractual arrangements as an employee (ie Cambridges Housekeeper gets accommodation included). So Eugenie and Jack will have to pay rent. And it wont be cheap.

Prince Michael of Kent has to pay rent, and it would be wrong if Eugenie doesn't. It would also make for one heck of a row.

All the talk about Eugenie moving into KP and the rehashed news about Andrew's requests for his daughters can't be mere coincidence imo. We'll see.

:previous: I wondered the same thing.... Bea and Dave splitting

And then I thought Eugenie and KP residence...

Then I thought ££££. If you live in KP, its only rent free if you are a working royal or it forms part of yr contractual arrangements as an employee (ie Cambridges Housekeeper gets accommodation included). So Eugenie and Jack will have to pay rent. And it wont be cheap.

Prince Michael of Kent has to pay rent, and it would be wrong if Eugenie doesn't. It would also make for one heck of a row.

If Andrew can pay for security for his daughters, I think he'd be willing to contribute to their rent costs. If it's true that Eugenie will eventually move into Ivy Cottage, well it's not a large place compared to where Prince Michael lives. It wouldn't break Andrew's bank. I doubt it would cost much more than what he's paying for their current apartment at St. James or what he's paying for Beatrice's NYC apartment.

He'd probably be more concerned about paying for a longterm home for Beatrice, as I think she has more luxurious tastes than Eugenie, especially now that Dave Clark won't be contributing financially.

I don't think he's fretting over Eugenie.

If Andrew can pay for security for his daughters, I think he'd be willing to contribute to their rent costs. If it's true that Eugenie will eventually move into Ivy Cottage, well it's not a large place compared to where Prince Michael lives. It wouldn't break Andrew's bank. I doubt it would cost much more than what he's paying for their current apartment at St. James or what he's paying for Beatrice's NYC apartment.

He'd probably be more concerned about paying for a longterm home for Beatrice, as I think she has more luxurious tastes than Eugenie, especially now that Dave Clark won't be contributing financially.

I don't think he's fretting over Eugenie.

You could be correct. I checked out the price of renting a 2 bed flat in the neighbourhood and the chepest was £5,000 a month - so assume it would be more. He could afford it but not forever. Relying on Bank of Granny I expect.

Last edited:
I was sceptical about this story when I read the re-hashed story about Charles wanting to slim down the royal family, as well as the part about Eugenie not wanting to settle down into a career. Actually, Eugenie has been working full-time for several years.

Even the part about Andrew complaining that his daughters would be overshadowed by the Cambridges and Prince Harry doesn't fully ring true...Andrew knows this is how the monarchy works. I think that Camilla Tominey doesn't like the Yorks much.

I can't really fault Andrew for worrying about his daughters' futures, especially Beatrice, since her employment efforts haven't worked out.

(Eugenie seems more established than her sister. In fact, the sisters seem to be making few appearances together these days. Wonder if that is deliberate?)

All her other adult cousins including William and Harry have had paying jobs. Louise and James are expected to get a paying job when they grow up. Eugenie seems to be able to have a career just fine.

Everyone got a private school education and 5 of the 6 adult grandchildren of the Queen have a university degree including Beatrice.

She wasn't booted on to the streets in front of BP, uneducated with only the knowledge of good princess manners and waltzing to fend for herself.

I was sceptical about this story when I read the re-hashed story about Charles wanting to slim down the royal family, as well as the part about Eugenie not wanting to settle down into a career. Actually, Eugenie has been working full-time for several years.

Even the part about Andrew complaining that his daughters would be overshadowed by the Cambridges and Prince Harry doesn't fully ring true...Andrew knows this is how the monarchy works. I think that Camilla Tominey doesn't like the Yorks much.

It rings true to me; he has a habit of avoiding reality where it comes to royal roles. In July 2011 he stepped down as Special Trade Envoy. I joined the forums in May 2012. One of my early posts was about how he still claimed to be in that position after I joined. I remember checking his web page, which clearly had current information, but stated he was still in the role. It was the point at which I decided Andrew was living in his own reality.
JMO, but I have always believed Andrew believed if he just pressured his brother long enough that a need would soon appear and the girls would be given full time jobs. I'm also of the opinion that he shared the plan with the girls. Bea seems inclined to believe him while Eugenie, either through life inclinations or a better ability to see reality, has gone her own way. Good for her! All just my opinion.

All her other adult cousins including William and Harry have had paying jobs. Louise and James are expected to get a paying job when they grow up. Eugenie seems to be able to have a career just fine.

Everyone got a private school education and 5 of the 6 adult grandchildren of the Queen have a university degree including Beatrice.

She wasn't booted on to the streets in front of BP, uneducated with only the knowledge of good princess manners and waltzing to fend for herself.

I agree Beatrice was given a good head-start in life and probably has amazing connections(she seems to have a lot of friends) that could find her a job. But she wouldn't be the first person to get a degree and then decide she doesn't enjoy working in that field. It's telling that about a year after she graduated she switched to looking for jobs in Finance, even though she doesn't have education in that area, which immediately put her at a disadvantage because she was competing against qualified people. She's been playing catch-up ever since.

Maybe she could go back to school and get a different degree, then reenter the workforce on equal footing.

Then again, she doesn't look like an unhappy or distressed person. She might enjoy taking various internships but not settling for one fixed job or career. Some people don't thrive in structured environments. Which might be why she was recently looking into doing some public speaking tours.That allows a lot of self-freedom for someone who may have wanderlust.

Andrew might be the only York who's dissatisfied with the status-quo.(If newspapers are to be believed).

As it stands now Beatrice and Eugenie have it pretty good. They can come and go as they please. Money isn't a concern and they can lounge on yachts or attend parties until the cows come home.

An official role within the Firm would mean they'd have to more or less tow the line. I'm not sure they want that.

Totally agree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom