Duties and Roles of Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie 1: Discussion Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the press will stop questioning Beatrice’s future role once she’s engaged. They'll stop lumping her in with Andrew and Sarah, and start seeing her and her spouse as a separate unit.

There was an article in 2010 that said Beatrice warned Dave not to propose to her in the near future because she wanted to wait until she was William’s age to marry. William married at 28, Beatrice will be 28 this year, it will also be her 10th anniversary with Dave, maybe this will be the year she gets engaged. If she were to marry and move to NYC, where Dave works, I think she’d gradually fall-off the radar, until either The Duke of Kent or Princess Alexandra dies. Then the press will write a snarky article about how she won’t replace her dead relative because Charles and William dislike her. Then she’ll fall-off the radar again unless she gets caught in a major controversy.

Last edited:
I think the press will stop questioning Beatrice’s future role once she’s engaged. They'll stop lumping her in with Andrew and Sarah, and start seeing her and her spouse as a separate unit.

There was an article in 2010 that said Beatrice warned Dave not to propose to her in the near future because she wanted to wait until she was William’s age to marry. William married at 28, Beatrice will be 28 this year, it will also be her 10th anniversary with Dave, maybe this will be the year she gets engaged. If she were to marry and move to NYC, where Dave works, I think she’d gradually fall-off the radar, until either The Duke of Kent or Princess Alexandra dies. Then the press will write a snarky article about how she won’t replace her dead relative because Charles and William dislike her. Then she’ll fall-off the radar again unless she gets caught in a major controversy.
I hadn't thought about this, but you could be correct, except I suspect there'll be a lot of coverage of the engagement/wedding (especially the Sarah v. Phillip angle) and there after diminishing interest particularly if she and Dave decide to live in New York.

What bad things are they doing to hurt the monarchy? Other than bad clothing choices. They go out and party once in a while? Honestly who doesn't at that age? Their older cousins certainly did. They aren't doing drugs, drunk driving, posting hate slurs, committing crimes. They both have jobs, both involved in charity work, seem to have stable relationships and they attend royal functions and behave well at them. They take vacations? Is that any different then will and Kate and their trips to Mustique and skiing and the rest? And the difference? Will and Kate are meant to be 'working royals' and get financial compensation directly for it. Bea and Eugenie don't, except whatever money their dad shares with them, which he gets for his own work.

It's a question of perception, and of quantity.

They don't party once in a while; they party frequently.
They take more vacations than they spend time working, so the commentary is usually Vacation from what?

The perception, rightly or wrongly, is that the Yorks are greedy spongers who don't do much.
(
Maybe they are not allowed to do much, who knows? But it reflects badly on the RF when people see photos of Beatrice lounging on some yacht surrounded by Eurotrash).

I hadn't thought about this, but you could be correct, except I suspect there'll be a lot of coverage of the engagement/wedding (especially the Sarah v. Phillip angle) and there after diminishing interest particularly if she and Dave decide to live in New York.

I think timing and circumstance will determine how much media fuss is made over her wedding.

If Philip dies before her engagement the media won’t be able to run the Philip vs. Sarah stroyline. It will also depend on if there is a competing wedding. If she marries at the same time as Harry, like William and Zara did, then I think 90% of the attention would go to Harry, she would be a media afterthought.

Also her venue will be a determining factor. If she marries at the quieter St. George’s Chapel the media will be less intense. If she marries at Westminster Abbey, on July 23rd, wearing her mother’s tiara (and maybe her mother’s engagement ring, too), while wearing a bizarre haute-couture gown, filling half the Abbey with d-list celebrities and shady oligarchs, and then takes a carriage ride back to Buckingham Palace with half of London’s road traffic being cut-off, the media attention/criticism will be massive. I almost wish she would do it to troll the UK media, it would be amusing.

If she marries at Westminster Abbey, on July 23rd, wearing her mother’s tiara (and maybe her mother’s engagement ring, too), while wearing a bizarre haute-couture gown, filling half the Abbey with d-list celebrities and shady oligarchs, and then takes a carriage ride back to Buckingham Palace with half of London’s road traffic being cut-off, the media attention/criticism will be massive. I almost wish she would do it to troll the UK media, it would be amusing.

It might spell the end of the monarchy, which the RF wouldn't find so amusing.

Beatrice is expected to perform the same number of royal engagements as Princess Anne.

By whom? The BRF expect her to perform none!

[/QUOTE]
William and Harry combined total performed less half the numbers engagements as Princess Anne.

William and Harry are expected to receive the grandest of mansions in London no matter how little royal engagements they perform.

Main line royals will get royal accommodation, others will not. No other explanation required.

When is a Kensington Palace apt the grandest mansion in London? Clarence House and Buckingham Palace are grander houses than Apt 1a and especially Nott Cottage.

William as a direct heir would need secured housing. The York girls have apartments at St James Palace so they aren't slumming it either.

I don't know of anyone that think Beatrice and Eugenie should be doing 500 plus a year. The BRFs certainly don't.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I don't know of anyone that think Beatrice and Eugenie should be doing 500 plus a year. The BRFs certainly don't.
And a number of us agree with you. Time may change things, but for now, the little Red Royal Engine is chugging along just fine in some of our opinions.

It's a question of perception, and of quantity.

They don't party once in a while; they party frequently.
They take more vacations than they spend time working, so the commentary is usually Vacation from what?

The perception, rightly or wrongly, is that the Yorks are greedy spongers who don't do much.
(
Maybe they are not allowed to do much, who knows? But it reflects badly on the RF when people see photos of Beatrice lounging on some yacht surrounded by Eurotrash).

As long as Andrew is working, no one really has any reason to complain but him.No tax dollars are being paid to these 2. They aren't working royals, they don't get an apartment or security or pay cheque from the queen. Andrew doesn't get extra to cover them.

I go out three to four nights a week with friends. Am I a lazy party girl? Many professionals do, its called being a twenty something year old.

So they work 3 weeks out of 6. 30-40 hours a week, 90-120 hours in that time. How many months does it take for a 'working royal' to rack up that many hours? An engagement is maybe 2-3 hours. Even if Bea only works half the year, 26 weeks, she certainly puts in more hours of work than many working royals do. 780 hours if she works a 30 hour week for 26 weeks. That is equal to 260 3 hour engagements. So I really wouldn't call that lazy, at least not in comparison to 'working royals'. Ontop of which she is actively involved with charities (many of the parties both attend are for their charities) and still show up to support royal events.

Compared to commoners yes these girls have it pretty easy, and don't work nearly as hard as the rest of us. But by no means, compared to other royals and even socialites at their wealth level, are they lazy.

What is a holiday?

To Brits it is not -
A weekend away in the UK
A weekend away anywhere else
A weekend with Granny - even if she is the Queen
A Bank holiday weekend anywhere

All of these are counted as holidays by the press, but specifically by the DM.

It might be different for people from US or Europe but not in the UK because none of the above means taking time off work.

So before criticising anyone about holidays, when and how many days needs to be taken into account.

What is a holiday?

To Brits it is not -
A weekend away in the UK
A weekend away anywhere else
A weekend with Granny - even if she is the Queen
A Bank holiday weekend anywhere

All of these are counted as holidays by the press, but specifically by the DM.

It might be different for people from US or Europe but not in the UK because none of the above means taking time off work.

So before criticising anyone about holidays, when and how many days needs to be taken into account.

Cepe - I agree except that if you are working in the US and you jet to the UK for a Granny event plus trimmings of your own, it does seem a holiday. Especially when it expands from a day or two to the better part of a week or a week plus.
I also think that any time I jet away with the purpose of dining, relaxing, seeing friends, chilling and having a good time is a holiday. When I was young, even when I traveled 8-10 hours driving home for Easter with the family and then driving 8-10 hours back, that was a holiday. Though I did not enjoy it much. ;)
Even today, when I get away for 3 days in wine country, it is a holiday. Geting away and being able to chill with friends, family or new self-chosen adventures is the measure I (and it seems the DM) use. I may never live this down. :p :eek:

Cepe - I agree except that if you are working in the US and you jet to the UK for a Granny event plus trimmings of your own, it does seem a holiday. Especially when it expands from a day or two to the better part of a week or a week plus.
I also think that any time I jet away with the purpose of dining, relaxing, seeing friends, chilling and having a good time is a holiday. When I was young, even when I traveled 8-10 hours driving home for Easter with the family and then driving 8-10 hours back, that was a holiday. Though I did not enjoy it much. ;)
Even today, when I get away for 3 days in wine country, it is a holiday. Geting away and being able to chill with friends, family or new self-chosen adventures is the measure I (and it seems the DM) use. I may never live this down. :p :eek:

? Well to me a weekend is a weekend and for us in the UK going away for that time isn't a holiday. Taking time off work is a holiday. And in the UK 20 days is the time allowed for paid time off work.

It is disingenuous of the DM and its ilk to state that a weekend away in (say) Scotland is a holiday. bUt I agree a week away would be because it means time off work.

Holiday is time off from normal working time. how else could it be defined

DM need a punch bag and has decided it's mainly Beatrice. Bullying IMO

Cepe - absolutely agree.

A holiday is time away from work - and weekends don't qualify as they are part of the working time just days when you don't actually go to work. I am about to end my summer holidays this Friday when I return to school after 7 weeks. My next holiday will be in April when we again have two weeks. In Australia we only get 4 weeks a year with schools the obvious exception.

The York's are the punching bags as the press can't attack anyone else even though there is another young royal who left his last job in June, and has been unemployed ever since although he did go and spend three months in Africa - not called a holiday by the press of course. The difference is that Diana's sons can do no wrong and Sarah's daughters can do no right.

It is disingenuous of the DM and its ilk to state that a weekend away in (say) Scotland is a holiday. bUt I agree a week away would be because it means time off work.

Holiday is time off from normal working time. how else could it be defined

Exactly.

We need a thread for BRF vacations. Then we can all see how many 'holidays' each member of the RF takes and how long.

Beatrice attending a wedding is counted as a holiday but when her cousins attended the same wedding it in not counted as a holiday.

Going to church on Easter Sunday counted as a holiday for Beatrice.:whistling:

For Beatrice it is not even a weekend, it is any outing that the DM counts a holiday.

Easter counted as holiday #10 on the DM's list.

Here is photographic evidence of Beatrice's 10th holiday.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/04/05/23/274D25DD00000578-3026331-image-m-12_1428271456806.jpg

Last edited:

Agree completely. And all the poor girl does is smile nicely at the cameras. She does nothing wrong (dubious wardrobe choices not withstanding). Any duty she undertakes on behalf of charity or the royal family, she does very nicely. Anything else is her private business and the press should leave her alone. I also think she would like to do royal duties; any she has done, she seems really keen and nice.

Cepe - absolutely agree.

A holiday is time away from work - and weekends don't qualify as they are part of the working time just days when you don't actually go to work. I am about to end my summer holidays this Friday when I return to school after 7 weeks. My next holiday will be in April when we again have two weeks. In Australia we only get 4 weeks a year with schools the obvious exception.

The York's are the punching bags as the press can't attack anyone else even though there is another young royal who left his last job in June, and has been unemployed ever since although he did go and spend three months in Africa - not called a holiday by the press of course. The difference is that Diana's sons can do no wrong and Sarah's daughters can do no right.

Before you start comparing and putting Harry down I think you need to think what he has done in his life. Fighting a war being in a war zone is a lot different to being in NY or where ever they are. I don't follow what or where or if they work or spend days on the beach etc. But I do know what Harry has done ! I also know they live a very nice life if they get bad press I'm sure it worried others more than them

Before you start comparing and putting Harry down I think you need to think what he has done in his life. Fighting a war being in a war zone is a lot different to being in NY or where ever they are. I don't follow what or where or if they work or spend days on the beach etc. But I do know what Harry has done ! I also know they live a very nice life if they get bad press I'm sure it worried others more than them

1. I never mentioned Harry in that post, you did.

2. Harry is no longer active duty military. He doesn't get a pass for the rest of his life because he served in Afghanistan. He is home, and not in the military and yes he should be doing engagements and work.

While honestly his list of engagements is quite small, he shows far more dedication than others.

Difference between Harry and the girls. Harry gets paid to be a royal. The girls don't. So yes, tax payers get to question what work he does, the girls are private citizens who their father funds (yes through tax money but he works for that)

2. Harry is no longer active duty military. He doesn't get a pass for the rest of his life because he served in Afghanistan. He is home, and not in the military and yes he should be doing engagements and work.

While honestly his list of engagements is quite small, he shows far more dedication than others.

Difference between Harry and the girls. Harry gets paid to be a royal. The girls don't. So yes, tax payers get to question what work he does, the girls are private citizens who their father funds (yes through tax money but he works for that)

So if you didn't mean Harry what other young royal left their job in June and went Africa ???

How does Harry get paid to be royal and by whom? What government funding does Harry receive that should be open to questions from tax payers? And what taxpayer funding does Andrew receive?

Harry is reimbursed, I believe, for expenses that are paid out in relation to official royal engagements (such as I imagine all the expenses relating to his trip to Nepal will be covered). He does not draw a paycheck or a salary just because he is royal. His life is funded through his own money and the support of his father, The Prince of Wales. As far as his trip to Africa, that was a personal endeavor and covered from his own pocket I would think.

Just because we don't "see" Harry out and about performing royal duties it doesn't mean the guy is idle. He's probably got a lot of work going on behind the scenes with the upcoming Invictus games. He has his volunteer work with wounded service personnel and his own charities and patronages to keep up with alongside with working with the Royal Foundation.

Same with Andrew. His expenses are reimbursed or paid for when he does official royal duties on behalf of the Queen. He does not receive a "salary" or a "paycheck" just because he is royal and uses that to float the 2 York princesses. He also has his own private funds and how he uses that is his own business.

The York princess probably also have pretty hefty bank accounts in their own right.

If I'm not mistaken, the only thing the taxpayers really pay for is the cost incurred with security measures. The Queen pays (and reimburses) for official duties through the Sovereign Grant or her private income from the Duchy of Lancaster. Charles supports his immediate family with his income off the interest of the Duchy of Cornwall. No one just gets "paid" for being a royal.

A holiday is time away from work - and weekends don't qualify as they are part of the working time just days when you don't actually go to work.

Outside of education and the public sector I would have assumed it is quite rare for people to only work Monday to Friday these days.

Most of my friends who don't work in education or the public sector but in commerce and law etc also only work 9 - 5 Monday to Friday.

The service industry works shifts but not most of the people I know but even those who work shifts tend to still get two days a week off (my brother's 'weekend' has always been Tuesday and Wednesday so if he went away on those two days it wasn't a 'holiday' but simply his weekend away from home due to not working).

:previous: I suppose some people in law might only work 9-5, but none that I know. Maybe the administrative and paralegal staff, but not lawyers. If something has to be done, it has to be done. If a conference has to take place after hours, that's what happens.

For people who are self-employed, weekends and public holidays are just times when the phone doesn't ring so, so you can get on with a bit of paperwork without being pestered by other people.

Every lawyer I know, and I know quite a few, starts at 9 and leaves at 5 along with their staff. None are available after hours or on the weekends - same with every other professional other than doctors I know and as for tradies - try getting them after 3 p.m. or on the weekends (cost where I live is a minimum $125 call out after 3 in the afternoon and $150 on the weekends compared to $75 between 9 and 3.

Can we please get back on topic? This thread is not about the working hours in various industries nor is it about comparing one member of the Royal Family with another.

There isn't anything new here. Charles clearly doesn't want Bea and Eugenie representing the Firm and that's that.

Andrew is either as thick as two short planks or he's just posturing. Either way it's up to Charles and he doesn't show any interest in the Yorks having an official role.

Actually its up to the Queen. I think they will be given a chance to show their worth, if the story is true at all, and then it will be decided.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom