Duties and Roles of Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie 1: Discussion Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe i missed it earlier. But what happend to beatrices job in us. I remember reading about the palace heralding that there was a mad rush in corporate america for this supertalented overqualified (in finance, not art/thought) girl, and after considerable thought she finally blessed one company.
its been a few months. Has she joined? Or changed her mind or have they? Whats the present status

:previous: It was only ever an unsubstantiated DM story. And I think we all know what their current "hit rate" for accuracy is.

IF, and that's a big if, recent DM report is to be believed, Beatrice is currently taking her 18th vacation of the year. With that kind of a work ethic, I can't imagine she can hold down a job, unless the employer just wants the royal name in its' organization chart. I can see if she takes a day off for a royal engagement but if she has gone on 18 vacations this year, that will legitimately be perceived as excessive.

What constitutes a 'vacation' though?

Some of these 'vacations' have actually been a weekend type affair and many young Brits are able to do that.

I have some friends and former students who are working in the UK as teachers but spend most weekends somewhere else in Europe. Does that mean they are taking a vacation every week? If Beatrice is simply going somewhere for the weekend that to me isn't a 'vacation' but something many other people are able to do. If she is going away for more than a weekend then we have to look at the working conditions of her company e.g. is she working shifts or flexi hours that allow her to accumulate extra days off or is she in the standard 9 - 5 Monday to Friday type job which doesn't make it easy to do those longer weekends away.

I don't know what to think or to say about this to be honest... I think that I will wait for the summer to be over before expressing myself... All royal families seem to be on vacation now, and who knows, maybe Beatrice's new job is going to start in the fall... Judgement suspended at the moment...

Is that the new job she supposedly got back in March? I don't believe for a second it exists. A lot of her vacations have been more then 2 days if you look at her track record she always seems to be jobless for several months always including a Summer she left work back in December and she took holidays with that job and she hadn't even been there a year. So we are into August it's 8 months and counting and going by her love of holidays it is going to awhile before she bothers to do anything much. Probably another internship cause you know she has no idea what she wants to do which actually seems to be going on holidays! At least be honest about it.

What constitutes a 'vacation' though?

Some of these 'vacations' have actually been a weekend type affair and many young Brits are able to do that.

I have some friends and former students who are working in the UK as teachers but spend most weekends somewhere else in Europe. Does that mean they are taking a vacation every week? If Beatrice is simply going somewhere for the weekend that to me isn't a 'vacation' but something many other people are able to do. If she is going away for more than a weekend then we have to look at the working conditions of her company e.g. is she working shifts or flexi hours that allow her to accumulate extra days off or is she in the standard 9 - 5 Monday to Friday type job which doesn't make it easy to do those longer weekends away.

I agree with this 100%. In the UK having a weekend away is not unusual and neither is "popping over" to mainland Europe. I certainly did that regularly at her age and in fact Im popping over to Amsterdam for a few days at the end of this month.

Rebecca English of the DM posted on Twitter that Beatrice started in a new job with a private equity firm in NY.

Maybe it a job where you can do it on computer but if not and she has to be in NY than its not a quick pop over to the continent from London but a multi hour flight over the Atlantic. There isn't a U.S. holiday until September and the vacation policies of companies in the U.S. are pretty bad - you don't get any when you start and have to work a year to get a week.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Rebecca English of the DM posted on Twitter that Beatrice started in a new job with a private equity firm in NY.

Maybe it a job where you can do it on computer but if not and she has to be in NY than its not a quick pop over to the continent from London but a multi hour flight over the Atlantic. There isn't a U.S. holiday until September and the vacation policies of companies in the U.S. are pretty bad - you don't get any when you start and have to work a year to get a week. Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

It's odd that the NY Post has not been sharing photos of her, as they did with Eugenie. It makes me doubt the report from Rebecca. She's not in NY.
That said, if she has that job, I think it likely that she might be a CONTRACT employee, retaining her British status, health care, residence, etc. and that she also contracted for liberal amounts of time off. For all we know she could be servicing clients when they visit the UK, generating UK leads of clients or equity targets. She could be working contingency, which would let her have all the time off in the world, without cost to the firm. ;) but she would be technically "employed."
Oh and yes, I know she probably does not use the UK public health service, but I doubt her coverage over here would suit her either.

You seem to think that being born into the Royal Family comes with no responsibilities and thats simply not the case these days. British people expect to see the Royal Family working because although we're told that only the Queen gets money from the civil list, there's no doubt at all that everything Beatrice and Eugenie have - we've paid for. Though they recieve no money directly, their father has because he carries out Royal duties and so essentially, we're paying for them. The Duchess of York may very well pay for them to party etc but as Princesses of the UK, we actually expect them to follow their Aunty Anne's lead and so something worthwhile to legitimise the luxury they live in. They don't appear to be doing anything at all worthwhile with their lives and though they didn't choose to be born into the Royal Family, the homeless didn't choose to be homeless but they deal with their station in life.
. I found this quote and it still sums up how alot of people feel about the York's in my humble opinion.

. I found this quote and it still sums up how alot of people feel about the York's in my humble opinion.

I agree with the quote. I also think the girls should pay for their own protection if they require it. It's not fair to expect the Duke of York to keep forking out £500k a year for this luxury.

To be expected to both pay for their own protection and still perform royal duties like Anne "to legitimize the luxury they live in " is Hardly reasonable.

I agree with the quote. I also think the girls should pay for their own protection if they require it. It's not fair to expect the Duke of York to keep forking out £500k a year for this luxury.

Since it's because of him that they are Royal Princesses with the burden of an HRH, I don't see why he shouldn't pay for their protection. If they had been allowed to grow up without the Royal tag, they wouldn't need it.

In 1988 when Beatrice was born the public were delighted to have a new little princess after two princes. The royal family were very popular and there was never any thought that they wouldn't have the same titles that their grandmother had held when she was born as the daughter of the second son of the monarch - a princess of York.

I actually think that Beatrice would like to do the sort of work that Anne does but she is stopped from doing so by the powers within the Firm - The Queen, Charles and William.

If Andrew wants to pay for security for his daughters then why shouldn't he? What he does with his own money is his own decision.

In 1988 when Beatrice was born the public were delighted to have a new little princess after two princes. The royal family were very popular and there was never any thought that they wouldn't have the same titles that their grandmother had held when she was born as the daughter of the second son of the monarch - a princess of York.

I actually think that Beatrice would like to do the sort of work that Anne does but she is stopped from doing so by the powers within the Firm - The Queen, Charles and William.

If Andrew wants to pay for security for his daughters then why shouldn't he? What he does with his own money is his own decision.

I, too, believe Beatrice would like to do that sort of work, and I find it bewildering that the triumvirate is preventing her from doing it. She is an HRH and she has a sweet disposition and has no bad habits that we know of. She seems to have acquitted herself well when she has appeared at charity events and given speeches. How can it hurt to use an available asset who is ready and willing to perform royal duties?

Even if she didn't get into royal duties to the same degree and at the same level as Princess Anne, Beatrice could be shaped into tomorrow's Princess Alexandra. There's still a bit of magic and sparkle about a born Royal Princess that a married-in, middle class Duchess will never acquire so why not take advantage of it? Beatrice and her sister are the only HRH princesses of this generation and their status will not be passed on to their children, so it's not as though allowing Beatrice, or even both Princesses, to do a bit of work for the firm would be opening the floodgates.

Last edited:
Both Beatrice and Eugenie have been involved for years with a handful of charities close to their heart. This is as an unofficial role, as they are not considered working royals and do not get compensated by their grandmother for these visits, like Kate/Will/Harry do.

Bea is very involved with springboard and children in crisis, and has done visits to Ormond hospital. Eugenie is involved with the teenage cancer trust, the orthopedic association and dyslexia. T

On top of that, and attending royal events with the family, they work and have private lives. Honestly unless they start getting compensated for the work and are considered working royals, it seems like they do a fair amount. Zara and Peter had their own childhoods paid for by the tax payers, even if they don't have a title, and I don't see anyone thinking they have an obligation to do more

This thread was begun on 06-19-2006, 07:42 PM.

Beatrice was 17.

Eugenie was 16.

That should tell you everything.

The trashing of Beatrice and Eugenie is considered acceptable.:whistling:

It is the old double standard.

George is not expected to work until he is 30.
Harry well, wink, smile, boys will be boys.
William well he still young, he has a life time to do royal duties.

Articles trashing Beatrice and Eugenie have been around for more than 10 years.

These articles praising William and Harry while referring to their cousins Beatrice and Eugenie as lazy have been around since around 2003.

Beatrice would have been around 15, Eugenie was 13. :bang:

Clearly different expectations or simply put a double standard.

Last edited:
Yet I'm interested in the people in the royal family. I feel sorry for Beatrice and Eugenie (and William and Harry) because I think they're pulled in two directions and as a result can't go far in either one. They are asked to be useful and told not to squander their money or appear entitled--and yet at the same time they're constantly reminded that they can't go out and get an ordinary job like most people who want to be "useful," and as much as they're forbidden from flaunting their royal status, they're also asked to remember their position, to behave better than their peers, to set a good example. I think it's kind of fascinating to watch because deep down, everyone knows that there is no essential difference between royals and commoners or the titled and untitled, but there seems to be such a strong human desire to believe otherwise.

If Beatrice and Eugenie should act more like royals and their behaviour reflects badly on the royal family, then I think it is Prince Andrew and the Queen's responsibility to place some limits on their activities. I have no problem with most of their behaviour, but then I always forget that I'm supposed to be judging Beatrice and Eugenie as members of the royal family, not as ordinary eighteen and twenty year-old young women.

This post was made 7-years ago but it sums up my feelings on the York Princesses quite well.

What bad things are they doing to hurt the monarchy? Other than bad clothing choices. They go out and party once in a while? Honestly who doesn't at that age? Their older cousins certainly did. They aren't doing drugs, drunk driving, posting hate slurs, committing crimes. They both have jobs, both involved in charity work, seem to have stable relationships and they attend royal functions and behave well at them. They take vacations? Is that any different then will and Kate and their trips to Mustique and skiing and the rest? And the difference? Will and Kate are meant to be 'working royals' and get financial compensation directly for it. Bea and Eugenie don't, except whatever money their dad shares with them, which he gets for his own work.

Beatrice is expected to perform the same number of royal engagements as Princess Anne.

William and Harry combined total performed less half the numbers engagements as Princess Anne.

William and Harry are expected to receive the grandest of mansions in London no matter how little royal engagements they perform.

Beatrice will be expected to pay for her meager apartment no matter how many royal engagements she performs.

Beatrice will also be expected hold a full time job while working full time as a working royal and to be a full time wife and mother without any staff.

If so much as a nanny or a housekeeper is employed then of course, she is lazy.

Last edited:
Beatrice is expected to perform the same number of royal engagements as Princess Anne.

William and Harry combined total performed less half the numbers engagements as Princess Anne.

William and Harry are expected to receive the grandest of mansions in London no matter how little royal engagements they perform.

Beatrice will be expected to pay for her meager apartment no matter how many royal engagements she performs.

Beatrice will also be expected hold a full time job while working full time as a working royal and to be a full time wife and mother without any staff.

If so much as a nanny or a housekeeper is employed then of course, she is lazy.

That's how all the royal women are treated. The British press are disgusting.

Of course. She is not of the untouchable trinity of the Cambridge's and Harry.

Hardly all Royal women. If the women in Question is Thin and Pretty and fashionable she can do no wrong and is above criticism apparently.

Last edited:
What bad things are they doing to hurt the monarchy? Other than bad clothing choices. They go out and party once in a while? Honestly who doesn't at that age? Their older cousins certainly did. They aren't doing drugs, drunk driving, posting hate slurs, committing crimes. They both have jobs, both involved in charity work, seem to have stable relationships and they attend royal functions and behave well at them. They take vacations? Is that any different then will and Kate and their trips to Mustique and skiing and the rest? And the difference? Will and Kate are meant to be 'working royals' and get financial compensation directly for it. Bea and Eugenie don't, except whatever money their dad shares with them, which he gets for his own work.

There is a gender double-standard. Prince Harry went on more holidays than Beatrice in 2014, and yet the press stayed mum. But they zealously attacked Beatrice instead, even though she is basically a private citizen unlike Harry.

Harry's Holiday Spree in 2014

jan- skiing in Alps
feb - hunting in Spain
march- skiing in Kazakhstan
april- holiday safari in Africa
may- party in Miami/ Memphis
june- party in slovakia
aug- 1. holiday in Sotogrande, Spain with the Yorks
2. Yachting with Ben Goldsmith
sept- party in Italy
oct- holiday safari in Africa
nov- Abu dubai partying, yachting

Not to mention all his domestic holidays to friends estates and party festivals. Beatrice has been given the shaft by the sexist tabloids!

Well Beatrice took something along the lines of 17 holidays in 2015. William and Kate go on one holiday a year to Mustique (not counting their visit to Balmoral to see the Queen). Harry usually goes on at least two ski holiday a season

Not everything is about the Cambridges

Well Beatrice took something along the lines of 17 holidays in 2015. William and Kate go on one holiday a year to Mustique (not counting their visit to Balmoral to see the Queen). Harry usually goes on at least two ski holiday a season

Will and Kate go on more trips then Mustique and as pointed by the poster above Harry went on as many as Bea.

The difference? Bea is NOT a working royal. She doesn't get paid to do or not do royal engagements. The only people with the right to complain about her vacation time are her employers. Or maybe her father who uses his royal allowance to help fund them probably.

It is very much about the Cambridges and other royals. Bea and Eug are being held to double standards. If they are expected to do certain things beause they are HRH, then their cousins should be held to such standards. It is funny that those who tax payers are paying for are expected to do less than those who are basically private citizens.

Will and Kate go on more trips then Mustique and as pointed by the poster above Harry went on as many as Bea.

The difference? Bea is NOT a working royal. She doesn't get paid to do or not do royal engagements. The only people with the right to complain about her vacation time are her employers. Or maybe her father who uses his royal allowance to help fund them probably.

It is very much about the Cambridges and other royals. Bea and Eug are being held to double standards. If they are expected to do certain things beause they are HRH, then their cousins should be held to such standards. It is funny that those who tax payers are paying for are expected to do less than those who are basically private citizens.

Catherine actually goes on very few vacations, but the press bash her for it all the same.

2013-
Jan- Mustique
March- Arosa, Switzerland

2014-
Jan- Mustique
March- Maldives

2015-
Jan- Mustique

That's all she's had in the last 3 years unless I'm experiencing a mind blank. I don't count Balmoral to visit The Queen and Philip.

William goes on more because he'll go on boys hunting trips with Harry. He'll also go to overseas weddings (Guy Pelly).

It's sad to see Beatrice and Catherine continually bashed in the press while William and Harry are given free passes.

The 17 holidays is the DM version of events. Read lies.

These are her holidays.

Christmas at Sandringham with the Queen followed by Christmas with her parents at their home in Switzerland.

Easter with Queen at Windsor was also counted as a holiday.

When she joined her father in Bahrain and performed royal duties that was also considered a holiday.

Attending a wedding that too the DM considered a holiday.

Her move to New York was also listed by the DM as a holiday.

The old double standard....

Whenever Beatrice visits her parents or the Queen it is listed as a holiday.

Switzerland is now her home. As is New York, London and Windsor.

Double standard...plain and simple.

If you are going to count attending a wedding as a holiday for one why not the others?

If you are going to count visiting family as a holiday for one while not the others?

If you are going to count living in your second home as a holiday for one why not the others?

If you are going to count your place of business as a holiday for one why not the others?

If you are going to count royal duties outside of the London as a holiday for one why not the others?

The old double standard pure and simple.

Last edited:
This thread is not about the William, Catherine or Harry. Let's get back on topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom