Duties and Roles of Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie 1: Discussion Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread was started in 2006. Beatrice was 17, Eugenie was 16.

Some people have been criticizing the York girls about their 'lack of work ethics' since 2006.

Beatrice may have taken a class in finance to start her own fashion line or business.

Last edited:
Beatrice and fashion line are not normally terms that go together...But a finance course or apprentiship at a financial institution would beneficial for her future if she ends up with no Royal place but tons of money at her disposal.

Actually according to an interview Eugenie gave some years ago, Beatrice is interested in fashion and clothes but Eugenie is not.

Some people may not like Beatrice's style but that does not mean it will not sell.

If she isn't prepared to accept that there are bound to be some things about having a job that she isn't going to like, she should admit it and do something with her life that is within the range of activities and constraints that she is prepared to accept. At the moment she is giving the impression that what she wants to do is spend the whole year holidaying and dabbling in high-profile charity work. If that's what she wants to do, and she finds a way to afford it, she should at least admit it and not pretend that she wants to work full time.

But suppose she did admit precisely that?

Everyone would say
Just like her mother!

In fact, they say that now, every time she's in the papers on another holiday.

It's fine to say that she can afford to do as she pleases, but it makes the entire RF look bad and they come in for a great deal of criticism because of it.

She is so at ease and more importantly, the kids are at ease with her. She seems to get down to their level. I think the absence of bureaucracy and it's attendant entourage allows kids to relax and become engaged with what is happening rather that who Beatrice is.

Now that is a gift, you either have it or you don't, and all the flash and dash in the world cannot make up for that simple, easy manner that enables her to establish a rapport. The BRF are utterly squandering an incredibly useful tool. :bang:

She is so at ease and more importantly, the kids are at ease with her. She seems to get down to their level. I think the absence of bureaucracy and it's attendant entourage allows kids to relax and become engaged with what is happening rather that who Beatrice is.

Now that is a gift, you either have it or you don't, and all the flash and dash in the world cannot make up for that simple, easy manner that enables her to establish a rapport. The BRF are utterly squandering an incredibly useful tool. :bang:

Yes, she seems to have that knack with children that Harry has. And she also has his natural charm and ability to connect with people, and enthusiasm. Such a shame her grandmother seems determined not to put her talents to use. Every generation should have a princess.

Not only her grandmother but her uncle and cousin. It was reported in 2012 that she asked William to ask her grandmother to allow her to do during the Jubilee year and he said 'no'. Don't just put the blame on one generation but on the current and next two monarchs - none of them want her.

Not only her grandmother but her uncle and cousin. It was reported in 2012 that she asked William to ask her grandmother to allow her to do during the Jubilee year and he said 'no'. Don't just put the blame on one generation but on the current and next two monarchs - none of them want her.

How on earth do you know this ??? Who reported that ??

:previous: They could need her talents yet, as I mentioned in another post. If everything goes according to plan, William, Harry, and their wives and families are the future of the BRF. However, tragedies happen and plans have to change. I think it's such a shame if she's being held back in royal engagements because her parents have been so controversial. After all, Beatrice's future children won't have royal titles and won't ever be expected to be a 'burden on the system.'

3 adults plus Charles and Camilla will be doing all the engagements?

3 adults plus Charles and Camilla will be doing all the engagements?

Current ages of "working royals", full time and part time are;

Charles = 66
Camilla = 67 (68 in July)
Anne = 64
Andrew = 55
Edward = 51
Sophie = 50
William = 32 (33 in June)
Catherine = 33
Henry = 30
DOK = 79
DOG = 70
DuOG = 68
PAOK = 78

The last 4, we can most likely disregard as doing little if no engagements except major events after 80+. I can't see any of The Queens children stopping doing engagements unless like their mother they become too frail to do so. They all have that work ethic. You've therefore got 9, 10 when Henry marries. You're losing two big players (The Queen and DOE), and 4 minor players due to age/death. James and Louise are most likely to do a Beatrice and Eugenie and represent charities and attend major events. But I imagine Edward and Sophie's guidance will be stronger in terms of image.

In the longer term (25 years) we most likely will have the following adult members in the very core royal family:

HM The King (57 years)
HM The Queen (58 years)

HRH The Prince George, The Prince of Wales (27 years)
HRH The Princess George, The Princess of Wales

HRH The Prince(ss) soon-to-be-born (25 years)
The spouse of this Prince(ss)

HRH The Prince Henry (55 years)
HRH The Princess Henry

HRH The Princess Royal (89)
Vice-Admiral Sir Timothy Laurence (85)

HRH The Prince Andrew, The Duke of York (80)

HRH The Prince Edward, The Duke of Edinburgh (76)
HRH The Princess Edward, The Duchess of Edinburgh (75)

Without eventual children of Prince Harry, there will already be 13 adult male members in the very core royal family in 25 years time. That seems sufficient to me, for sure when other members of the family possibly can do representative duties on ad-hoc base. Would Prince Harry have two children and they are married, then there are 17 adult members in the very core royal family. A future royal role for Beatrice, Eugenie, James and Louise seems minimal to me.

Last edited:
Sorry, just checking my eye sight but where? :)

Given the marrying ages of royals I wouldn't expect that George or the new child would have married in 25 years - maybe in 35 years.

Given the longevity of the Queen and Philip I would also expect Charles to still be the King in 25 years. Sure both his grandfathers died relatively young but they were both heavy smokers and did other things that didn't take care of their health. Charles has done so and medical care is much better now.

I would suggest that except for Charles and Anne the rest of that generation will be retired, or largely so, while George and his siblings will, like William be spending their 20s doing military training or other non-royal related activities so not on the royal duties roster.

Not every one will marry and if they do they might not have children... Just because they are royals does not make it a give.

I read that Charles wants to cut back everyone when he comes to the throne he wants only senior royals to do engagements Andrew is pissed off he thinks his children Bea his oldest should be on that list Andrews kids need to get out and work and stop wasting money on expensive trips Look at Ann children they are actually making a living and not whinning about hand outs

Charles wont be on the throne till he is 80

Last edited by a moderator:
I read that Charles wants to cut back everyone when he comes to the throne he wants only senior royals to do engagements Andrew is pissed off he thinks his children Bea his oldest should be on that list Andrews kids need to get out and work and stop wasting money on expensive trips Look at Ann children they are actually making a living and not whinning about hand outs

All of this is hearsay, plus Zara and Peter don't have titles. Makes a world of difference.

Charles wont be on the throne till he is 80

That would put the Queen at 103, I think that's pushing it slightly.

Unfortunately for Beatrice she won't be needed to carry out full time royal duties. She's probably be something like prince Michael of Kent - reimbursed for every duty she does, if needed.

All royals will up their figures doing an average of 300-350 engagements if age and health permit.

In 20 years, there would still be (hopefully):

The King
The queen
Prince William
Duchess of Cambridge
Prince Harry
Princess Harry
Prince Andrew
Prince Edward
Countess of Wessex
Princess Anne

That's 10 people carrying out full time royal duties. Prince George and his children will still be studying/in the military.

Between 10 people they could easily do 3000-3500 engagements.

And if they need more they will take on the services of Beatrice or Eugenie.

Also who knows how popular the monarchy is then. And how many engagements will be needed to be done.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Without eventual children of Prince Harry, there will already be 13 adult male members in the very core royal family in 25 years time. That seems sufficient to me, for sure when other members of the family possibly can do representative duties on ad-hoc base. Would Prince Harry have two children and they are married, then there are 17 adult members in the very core royal family. A future royal role for Beatrice, Eugenie, James and Louise seems minimal to me.

Why include the eventual future children of Harry in a post that tries to prove why the York girls aren't needed by the royal family? They would all have the same degree of separation from the monarch during their lives.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Why include the eventual future children of Harry in a post that tries to prove why the York girls aren't needed by the royal family? They would all have the same degree of separation from the monarch during their lives.

Not necessarily, when Henry's children are of age their Uncle will be on the throne. And Anne, Andrew, Edward and Sophie will possibly be gone.

Isn't it a bit condescending to say " Beatrice is confused"? She's 26 years old, university-educated, and can certainly understand her place in the family. And if this lovely, rich, fun-loving princess has hurt feelings because people grouse about her life of privilege, it's quite hard to care! I'll bet she never wastes a moment thinking about it.

Not necessarily, when Henry's children are of age their Uncle will be on the throne. And Anne, Andrew, Edward and Sophie will possibly be gone.

The Yorks are of age and their uncle will in the foreseeable future become a monarch. You can't argue on one hand that the royal family has to be more streamlined and then later include the same kind of people you earlier excluded based on the eventual popularity of their parents.

Someone mentioned earlier that they could see Beatrice do a Michael of Kent and turn up at big events and also do some kind of representation at the fringes of the Royal family in addition to her own career and charitable projects and imo that's a very realistic prospect.

Is there anything keeping Beatrice from being very actively involved in charities if she so wishes? She doesn't need anyone's permission to push a book cart around in a hospital or to peel potatoes at a soup kitchen. And there is plenty of paper-shuffling and envelope-stuffing to be done as well. I think she likes her life just the way it is (who wouldn't?).

Isn't it a bit condescending to say " Beatrice is confused"? She's 26 years old, university-educated, and can certainly understand her place in the family. And if this lovely, rich, fun-loving princess has hurt feelings because people grouse about her life of privilege, it's quite hard to care! I'll bet she never wastes a moment thinking about it.

I don't doubt that she doesn't waste a moment thinking about it. But the representation of her image does little to increase the popularity of the monarchy in the UK. From appearances she doesn't know what she wants to do with her life, she's come straight out of university and flipped through 3, maybe 4 jobs since. Now i graduated last year, I know how hard it is to find a job, any job, especially one relating to your degree subject. I personally am not doing something relating to my degree subject, and saving money to do exactly that in the future.

I'm not "grousing" at her life of privelige, if she wants to blow through her inheritance and her fathers money, ther boyfriends/future husbands money etc she can. My gripe is that as you say she's a very capable young girl with a degree who can do so much with her life. You just have to look at the pictures from her latest engagement to see that she's fantastic with interaction of this kind. Why deprive her of something she can do, and something she can do well? With the right push/marketing Beatrice could represent the monarchy in so many ways and she doesn't.

You can't argue on one hand that the royal family has to be more streamlined and then later include the same kind of people you earlier excluded based on the eventual popularity of their parents.

Where did I "argue" for a more streamlined family? When amaryllus questioned the fact that we'd have 5 working royals, after The Queen and DOE had passed, I pointed out that we wouldn't we would have 13, potentially losing 4 within the next 10+years.

I am a firm believer that Beatrice and Eugenie are both needed to perform duties if the popularity and the visibility of the monarchy is to stay where it is. All royals are popular, and they all have an effect on the popularity of the monarchy. Whoever has made the decision not to include her/deny her when she's clearly wanted to become part of The Firm made a mistake IMO.

Is there anything keeping Beatrice from being very actively involved in charities if she so wishes? She doesn't need anyone's permission to push a book cart around in a hospital or to peel potatoes at a soup kitchen. And there is plenty of paper-shuffling and envelope-stuffing to be done as well. I think she likes her life just the way it is (who wouldn't?).

We don't know what she's doing when she's not in front of a camera. I might have to check with Bertie's figures next week but I doubt that engagement this week was official. She would have been invited and gone herself. Beatrice is linked to many charities, and I imagine she's asked to be patron or attend events for many more. I can imagine none of them would count of official engagements so she wouldn't be working for the RF whether she chose to do them or not. Point is whatever she does, whoever she represents she would be getting her name out there in a positive way.

I personally wouldn't want to be in Beatrice's shoes, she's between a rock and a hard place and doesn't seem to want to get out of it.

Last edited:

She is actively involved in several charities so no nobody's keeping her from doing so at all.

Right. Plus, even with the best medical care and no accidents/assassinations, not everyone lives past their 60s.

Not every one will marry and if they do they might not have children... Just because they are royals does not make it a give.

Putting aside the older generations (just for now!): there's Prince William, the DoC, Prince Harry and then......? Peter & Zara don't do royal duties, Viscount Severn and Lady Louise are still children and then who is left?

Edward's children may be steered away from royal duties, the Cambridge children won't be full time royals for years, Harry may never marry and have kids - I think a stop gap may be needed, even if that means B&E combine a more part-time royal schedule with their own work - whether that's a career in the conventional sense or charity work.

Beatrice seems bright, personable and compassionate and I think she should be considered for more duties. But as someone else mentioned further up the thread, that maybe her ultimate wish is to marry and have kids. Maybe she feels she's too young to be doing that but doesn't know how to fill her time until then?

Lumutqueen was much more articulate in her post but the final comment about Beatrice being stuck "between a rock and a hard place" and not wanting to (or knowing how to?) pretty much sums up her situation for me.

Beatrice seems bright, personable and compassionate and I think she should be considered for more duties. But as someone else mentioned further up the thread, that maybe her ultimate wish is to marry and have kids. Maybe she feels she's too young to be doing that but doesn't know how to fill her time until then?

The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to lean towards the opinion that perhaps Beatrice prefers not to be on the roll call of the official, working members of the royal family. Right now it seems that she has the best of both worlds but can pick and choose what she wishes to do or not to do. She doesn't lack for charity involvement and its at her own pace, in her own time with basically no fanfare. She'll marry and have kids when she feels its right for her without any pressure or remain single if that's her choice. She'll always be in the limelight as a Princess of the UK but has far more freedom of choice than those that are in the direct line of succession.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom