Duties and Roles of Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie 1: Discussion Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:
It is impossible for me to determine what kind of engagements Prince and Princess Michael undertook at this point. Discussing the couple's engagements/appearances would be off-topic.
Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie should find sinecures and make some symbolic public appearances like rich housewives usually do. Prince Charles, his current wife, and his sons and daughters-in-law should carry all the engagements. That is all.

:previous: I think that limiting engagements to Prince Charles and his immediate family has the potential to disappoint a lot of people and disadvantage a number of charities. The current monarch has four children and their various and varying spouses whereas Charles only has two children and thus the potential for a maximum of two spouses at any one time. I think Beatrice and Eugenie are a resource that should not be wasted. They could do a lot of the fete-opening and sports-trophy-handing-out type of events and that provide an important Royal contact for a lot of people.

It seems to me that Beatrice and Eugenie for that matter, support causes close to their hearts. That the should also tag team with their Dad's pet project is no surprise. As mentioned, both of these girls go about their business with grace and happiness and are very popular.

For some reason Beatrice and Eugenie really get the snarky treatment, even here on this thread, be it about whether or not they work (none of our business) and of course there is endless bile about their fashion which, to be honest, is totally unfair.

As to their being considered surplus to royal requirements by their Uncle Charles as per the great "Slimming Down the Monarchy" debate, well we finally have had some sort of verification that someone close to Prince Charles "inimated" to someone in the media that it "might" happen around 18 - 20 years ago!

Don't know about anybody else but my world has moved and changed a lot over the last 20 years. Mostly in ways I could never have imagined or planned for. Technology has changed the way we work, the way we communicate, the way we go about the business of living.

Surely the same is true of the BRF. 20 years ago Britannia still ruled the waves, now it's a tourist attraction. Whoever would have imagined that 20 years ago! William, Harry, Beatrice and Eugenie were still children, their parents still married. 20 years ago who would have imagined the shape of the BRF as it is today. Would they have imagined separations, divorce, even death? Would they have imagined both Prince Philip and Queen Elizabeth not only alive but still kicking.

The point is that decisions and aspirations for the future have to remain flexible because who knows what tomorrow will bring. Nothing is graven in stone. Least of all the futures of the youngest generation of the BRF.

Don't know about anybody else but my world has moved and changed a lot over the last 20 years. Mostly in ways I could never have imagined or planned for. Technology has changed the way we work, the way we communicate, the way we go about the business of living.

Excellent post Marg! It also occurred to me that 20 years ago it was still a teenager's perogative to tie up the telephone. Now it would be almost impossible to find a teenager without a cell phone glued to their ear or their fingers frantically texting on one. :D

I don't think the appearance of both princesses on each race day at Ascot does anything to enhance the idea that they are busy people. I find it incredulous that they can both be so enamoured with horse racing.

I don't think the appearance of both princesses on each race day at Ascot does anything to enhance the idea that they are busy people. I find it incredulous that they can both be so enamoured with horse racing.

I don't see how it's hard to believe considering the family. Also Beatrice was "busy" during this very royal month of June, and Eugenie has obviously come back from NY in this royal month of June to see her family and participate in certain events.

Perhaps they're not that enamored of horse racing. Ascot is far more than attending horse races. Its one of the pure British traditions that has been going on for many many years and is part of the royal family's tradition for years. The DoE also attended every day with the Queen and its been stated quite a few times that he is not that into horse racing either.

I am still completely baffled as to why the Cambridges are not yet full time royals.

However, whey they, plus Harry go full time, they alone should be able to pick up the work not done by HM, Philip, and the Queen's cousins. I still see no need for the York girls to do any more than they currently are.

I am still completely baffled as to why the Cambridges are not yet full time royals.

However, whey they, plus Harry go full time, they alone should be able to pick up the work not done by HM, Philip, and the Queen's cousins. I still see no need for the York girls to do any more than they currently are.

They are not full time working royals yet because the Queen deems it not to be necessary at this time. Simple.

Perhaps they're not that enamored of horse racing. Ascot is far more than attending horse races. Its one of the pure British traditions that has been going on for many many years and is part of the royal family's tradition for years. The DoE also attended every day with the Queen and its been stated quite a few times that he is not that into horse racing either.

Yes I'm sure you're right but most of the royal family attend for a couple of days, (the Queen & the Duke are the obvious excepton) I'm not making a personal attack on these two young women, I'm suggesting that it indicates they appear to have very few duties and commitments if they can take a whole week out to attend Ascot everyday.

Anyone can take a week out of work to attend royal ascot, if I could afford to go down there for the 5 days I would. it's not every year they attend everyday, evidently both girls have taken either holiday or time off to spend at Ascot with their family.

Some statistical analysis:

Currently HM, Philip and the Queen's cousins have carried out 720 engagements so far this year in total.

For William, Kate and Harry (assuming he leaves the army) to take up those engagements - on top of the ones they already are doing (William is already at 80) they would have to have done 270 each by now PLUS what they have already done - so for William that would be 350, Kate 333 and Harry 300.

Charles is currently topping my count at 270 and Anne at 249. So they would have to do considerably more than anyone is doing now.

Some statistical analysis:

Currently HM, Philip and the Queen's cousins have carried out 720 engagements so far this year in total.

For William, Kate and Harry (assuming he leaves the army) to take up those engagements - on top of the ones they already are doing (William is already at 80) they would have to have done 270 each by now PLUS what they have already done - so for William that would be 350, Kate 333 and Harry 300.

Charles is currently topping my count at 270 and Anne at 249. So they would have to do considerably more than anyone is doing now.

We have to remember also that, like Beatrice and Eugenie, the work the Cambridges and Harry do for their own charities and patronages, for the most part, are not listed in the CC as "official" royal duties representing HM. I'm sure Iluvbertie can be more specific on this than I.

So when it is stated that Beatrice and Eugenie, William, Kate and Harry either do not work as full time royals or are just part time royals, that is indicating they do not do "official" full time work for the Firm.

At least that's how I see it. :D

Most of William, Kate and Harry's activities for their charities are in the CC but none of Beatrice or Eugenie's e.g. last week's engagements by Beatrice counted the grand total of zero in the CC.

I honestly believe that if Andrew and especially Fergie had been more popular, there would be no resistance to Eugenie and Beatrice becoming full-time working royals.

It's unfair, but they are associated with their parents in many people's minds.

If I was their advisor, I would say: go, accompany your grandmother and enjoy a day on Ascot.

Going day after day is giving the complete wrong signals and the poisonous, vitriolic and slashing comments in the online media seem to back my impression.

:ermm:

If I was their advisor, I would say: go, accompany your grandmother and enjoy a day on Ascot.

Going day after day is giving the complete wrong signals and the poisonous, vitriolic and slashing comments in the online media seem to back my impression.

:ermm:
Yes exactly. They need to be better advised.
IMO their daily appearances at Ascot is not like taking a week off work to attend something you care passionately about. They have significant "downtime". - No problem with that - they are very lucky. BUT they are very much seen as just participating in the "nice" social engagements - it may not be entirely the correct perception, but that's how it appears.

^
@ Elly C
well if it makes any difference Bea did show her support for education during Ascot week. She visited two academies and she did visit Isle of Wight the day before Ascot

As for the future roles of the york girls the future remains unseen , nothing seems certain . They obviously have to have a flexible "job" in oder to fulfill their small duties officially and unofficially. To me from the way they act about their duties and charities, they don't really care if they are listed in the CC, they do their charity work and their duty because they want to. At times they do seemed to be promised a lil something though from the royal firm as for a big role or a small role we'll just have to wait and see. Thats just the impression I get.

Last edited:
I've never really been a fan of the York princesses but I have to admit they are doing an excellent job of leading largely private lives with the occasional royal event thrown in. They are following Zara's example. :flowers:

Given Princess Beatrice's love of travelling (and I don't mean that critically), I wonder why she hasn't gone into PR for a large worldwide brand like a fashion house, jewellery company or airline (like Virgina Atlantic). Lady Helen Taylor was with Armani for 17 years and also worked for Bulgari and never received any criticism for that work and did it very successfully and stylishly.

I don't mean to be unkind, because I think Beatrice seems like quite a nice person. She has had a plethora of employment opportunities, but nothing permanent has developed. Maybe she's just not a very good employee. The employment market is generally very tight, especially for interesting, 'classy', non-professional jobs. There are plenty of well-qualified people to fill those jobs.

I don't mean to be unkind, because I think Beatrice seems like quite a nice person. She has had a plethora of employment opportunities, but nothing permanent has developed. Maybe she's just not a very good employee.

Good point; It's possible she gets bored. A full-time job, with limited vacation time, is bound to have its dull moments, and perhaps Beatrice isn't prepared to accept that.

Good point; It's possible she gets bored. A full-time job, with limited vacation time, is bound to have its dull moments, and perhaps Beatrice isn't prepared to accept that.

If she isn't prepared to accept that there are bound to be some things about having a job that she isn't going to like, she should admit it and do something with her life that is within the range of activities and constraints that she is prepared to accept. At the moment she is giving the impression that what she wants to do is spend the whole year holidaying and dabbling in high-profile charity work. If that's what she wants to do, and she finds a way to afford it, she should at least admit it and not pretend that she wants to work full time.

I don't mean to be unkind, because I think Beatrice seems like quite a nice person. She has had a plethora of employment opportunities, but nothing permanent has developed. Maybe she's just not a very good employee. The employment market is generally very tight, especially for interesting, 'classy', non-professional jobs. There are plenty of well-qualified people to fill those jobs.

Or perhaps her form of dyslexia is limiting her options. She may be able to cope with paced learning (hence her degree) but can't manage immediacy. I don't know enough about it but the media don't ever mention this.

Or the taking orders and having deadlines and possibly being talked harshly to by anyone other than teachers and parents is not to her liking. Not trying to be mean but that has to be considered.

Personally, I think she's biding her time until she can settle down and concentrate on marriage and family.

Yep, she does not ever and will not ever have to worry about money. How many of us can say we would put our nose to the grindstone everyday with no real reason?

Or perhaps her form of dyslexia is limiting her options. She may be able to cope with paced learning (hence her degree) but can't manage immediacy. I don't know enough about it but the media don't ever mention this.

You might be onto something here, but if this is so she is not being well served by whoever it is who is putting out the spin that she has been working full time (Andrew's website) and/or that she is after a job in the finance sector. Notwithstanding her dyslexia, she managed to get a degree so she is capable of learning and applying herself to tasks and meeting deadlines and there must be some way she can put the skills she has acquired to good use for the benefit of her charities or some other worthy cause. I don't really think she only wants to pfaff around the place holidaying, but that's the impression she's giving at the moment.

Yep, she does not ever and will not ever have to worry about money. How many of us can say we would put our nose to the grindstone everyday with no real reason?

Hell, I wouldn't! But I'm not an HRH and a Princess. If she can afford to, she doesn't have to work 9 - 5 in a boring office job somewhere, but she is bound by the expectations that apply to those of her rank, and noblesse oblige dictates that she should do something useful for the benefit of others.

Last edited:
:previous:

She does work for her charities and I read that she has an engagement soon for one of them.

I agree that perhaps Andrew's team have done her a misservice in their response to UK media.

Can I just add something about the UK and holidays. When I worked, if I had a weekend away I didn't consider it a holiday. I already had the weekend off, I just went somewhere other than home. I don't think I'm alone in this.

I have never had less than 3 weeks paid leave plus 8 bank holidays - that's 23 days (excluding weekends). At the end of my career as an employee, I had 38 days. When I worked for myself, I had as much time as I wanted and still didn't count weekends away as holidays.

The UK press know all this. Most of what we read is mischief making. She (and her advisers) are not helping themselves but she strikes me as someone who is unsure of herself, and is not intrinsically lazy.

I really disapprove of these attacks by the UK tabloids. I'd be happier if they could put some effort in reporting the work of the BRF - Kents, Glos, Wessexes and Princess Royal - none of these get the coverage they deserve.
But papers love the negative!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom