Duties and Roles of Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie 1: Discussion Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Both girls are between "a rock and a hard place" when it comes to living their lives. They can't hide who they are, which is going to be a monumental obstacle into having their own careers. IMO, neither of them chose substantial subjects to study while at university. Hopefully, after a bunch of "internships" they will both pursue higher degrees in a specific profession so they can both get meaningful work. Of course, I believe they will both marry well and if that's the case, the ability to work might not be important at all.

Thanks for the insult - I didn't realise that I hadn't studied a 'substantial' subject at uni - e.g. History. You may not have realised that what you said was insulting to a very large number of people - myself included, who have spent our lives in studying history and making careers in a range of areas based on those degrees.

I am sorry but anyone who doesn't think that 'history' is a 'substantial' subject simply doesn't know what it involves or the careers that it can lead to - we have a chart at my school with well over 100 career options for people with degrees in History.

Beatrice has a good degree in a field that she chose so presumably she has some idea of where she would like to go - unless the idea of that she and her sister aren't to be doing royal duties has only just been sprung on them this year (as she was about to finish her degree), which I suspect might be the case and hence she is looking around with internships to find a career that she will enjoy and one that will also use her skills - history is a subject that trains people to think, evaluate, research etc etc etc.

Last time I checked Eugenie was studying politics - another substantial subject, along with English and Art History - again a coures that involves the devopment of a lot of skills.

Both girls could develop wonderful careers within the royal fold based on those skills with the Royal Archives and the Royal Art Collections.

Last edited:
IMO, neither of them chose substantial subjects to study while at university.

Since when is History, Art History, English Literature and Politics not substantial subjects?
History, English Lit and Politics, in this country anyway, are 3 of the most sought after degrees when employers look for workers. If you don't consider them "substantial" what do you consider as a good degree?

:previous:If I'm honest, I don't find those subjects substantive because everyone I have known who ended up with a liberal arts degree had a difficult time finding a job that would support them.

I work with lots of people in a profession with 10000s of peole with liberal arts (as you call them degrees) and have made very good livings from them -politicians, teachers to name two.

I have supported myself all my life, have a good standard of living, never been unemployed in my life, own my own home (and about to build another one - with no mortgage) and all on a History degree - as are most of my friends and colleagues.

Many of the students I have taught who have gone on to study History at uni have found jobs quite easily in a range of fields, not just teaching.

Calm down, Bertie. Come join me in burning our degrees and cursing the heavens. Looks like all that Shakespeare I got jammed down my throat, and eventually grew to love, for my English degree was all for nothing. :)

I pointed it out before but I'll do it again: in my experience, children of self-made entrepreneurs are forced by their parent's expectation to work more than others who are employed by people who are not family. Why Catherine's work wasn't more obvious? Maybe the Middletons are intelligent people who realised that bringing their daughter up-front in their business would get them headlines of "cashing in on Royal connection" through the sheer fact that Catherine was known to be William's girlfriend. So what were they to do?

Not to turn this into a Middleton thread but she had years where the pressure wasn't on. They were broken up for a while weren't they? She chose not to work and as such has to take the beating that comes with it.

:previous:
As for Prince Andrew's daughters, they should capitlise on their connections to find sinecures for themselves.

That would be so ridiculously sad if they simply quit life like that. Unless, of course, it's who they actually are. They'd still be sad but it'd be pathetic instead of unfortunate.

To those holding liberal arts degrees that I may have offended, my apologies.

I'd like to further state that initiative also has a lot to do with the person's success with any kind of degree. Some people can't make it with a doctorate. I do not see the York girls as being go-getters when it comes to careers.

^^^^^
Since Beatrice only recently was awarded her degree and Eugenie is still working on hers its a bit too early to write them off. They are the first British princesses to even attempt a university degree. In the long run education is never a loss.

Last edited:
It's been nearly six months since Beatrice left college. In that time all she seems to have done is party and vacation. I have yet to hear off her doing any charity work off her own bat. She is supposed to have several internships lined up where most can barely get one. So far she hasn't even started one she must be relaxed enough by now. Most others graduated would have started their careers. Bea doesn't seem to be in any hurry to start work and this will cause comparisons with her mother. It's getting close to Christmas then there is the annual ski holiday so next year is looking more likely for her to start doing something. I think they knew long before this that they wouldn't be needed for a fulltime role but her father and mother clearly have other ideas and Andrew is pushing for them but it seems it is more for the benefits of being Royal then because they have any great passion for charities. There is no reason the girls can't have careers and if they work hard in time they will earn respect. No one get's respect first thing it needs to be earned. If they work hard and show they have dedication and talent then in time they will get more positive attention. But Bea has to start working first and not make going on holidays and being seen out at events a priority. If she follows her mothers footsteps and is seen on holidays every couple of months then she will get very negative feedback. I do think Kate should off done something more usefull she had years to do something so Beatrice should learn a lesson from her in that respect.

Actually those "serious image issues" belong to their parents and Beatrice and Eugenie haven't done anything the other royals haven't done.

SNIP It is the press and people who make out B&E to be bad people or have crappy images when there is nothing wrong with their image.

SNIP

The only thing that these two have done "wrong" is the occasionally fashion mistake in my eyes. I am all for wanting Beatrice to work for her family, to live up to her title, actually i'm all for her doing something with her life. But I think it is unfair to criticise these girls when they have done nothing wrong. :)

While I agree that in my own personal view, the girls have done nothing wrong, "the people and the press" are a large part of what constitutes public reality. If they want a public career (and royals have to join the public sphere, along with many doctors, teachers, lawyers, officials and anyone else who in any way works for the public) what the "press and the people" think of them will be eternally important.

And I am not referring to the public actually paying directly for them - I'm just talking about acceptance within the public. The public is what it is. It doesn't really matter how nice (or royal) one is if the public doesn't pay attention, what would be the point of making appearances?

On a slightly different note (and nothing to do with LumutQueen's post), charities often have to put themselves out there to have a particular celebrity be their PR entity. If the publicity doesn't "feel good," then the celebrity isn't a good fit for that charity.

In short, image is everything in the business they're in.

It could also be that Prince Andrew, who stresses that his daughters are royal and feels they should enjoy the perqs of being in that position, might also be a stumbling block in encouraging them to develop viable careers. Perhaps he's too busy arguing with Charles about their status and duties in the family rather than focusing his energies on advising the girls to develop their own careers.

Last edited:
The fact that the current unemployment rate in Britain for young people of Beatrice's age is running at over 20% could also have something to do with it. She might be being advised not to take a job from someone else similarly qualified who needs the job - just imagine the outcry.

After Catherine became engaged and wound down her involvement with her parents' company, they advertised for a director of marketing. Presumably then, that's what she was doing.

The thing with Kate was that many questioned whether she was actually doing any work at all. What was she doing? Laying out catalogs? Taking pictures of the merchandise?

:previous:If I'm honest, I don't find those subjects substantive because everyone I have known who ended up with a liberal arts degree had a difficult time finding a job that would support them.

I've had the same experience. In fact, I've lived the same experience! ;)

But I don't say the main problem is that those degrees are not substantive; I think it's because they are so popular! So many many people take those degrees, and the plum jobs simply can't go around.

But I want to be honest too; those degrees are easy! It's far easier to complete a degree in English, imo, than one in biophysics!
But the jobs are harder to come by, because of the huge competition.

Of course Beatrice won't have that problem; because of her connections, she can easily get one of those sought-after positions, and simply ignore any criticism. I think that's much the best thing she could do.

:previous:Exactly, a liberal arts degree is not a specialized one; because it's in the humanities it's very broad and very popular, but certainly substantial. I had the same situation and experience as well, so even though obtaining a degree in English or history may be easier than in the sciences (some may disagree, especially when it comes to writing papers), it was really difficult finding a job because of all the liberal arts majors competing for the same positions.

In Beatrice's case, she's damned if she does and damned if she doesn't. If she has an advantage with her connections, she may as well use it for a well-placed job. She'll be criticized anyway, no matter what course she takes. And who knows how many of the other royals, like Lady Helen Taylor, used their royal connections for their positions? We probably don't hear about it because they're not high profile.

Sorry but it is horses for courses. Most Science graduates couldn't do an humanities degrees because they don't have the writing skills etc to do it just as most humanities people would struggle with a Science degree. In fact there are a number people of my acquaintance who have degrees in both who say that the humanities (History) degree was far harder - for them.

To diss a person because of their degree is rather sad in my opinion.

Beatrice not only has a degree and a good one at that - a 2.1 - she also has a noted learning disability and should be praised for that.

To me, the fact that Beatrice got a good degree while coping with dyslexia shows that she's a hard-working and determined young lady.

There seems to be an assumption that because Beatrice isn't seen about much in the daytime that this indicates that she isn't doing anything other than living the high life. In reality, we don't know what she does during the day. She could be sitting around watching DVDs or she could be building up to something big.

Beatrice not only has a degree and a good one at that - a 2.1 - she also has a noted learning disability and should be praised for that.

Sorry but it is horses for courses. Most Science graduates couldn't do an humanities degrees because they don't have the writing skills etc to do it just as most humanities people would struggle with a Science degree. In fact there are a number people of my acquaintance who have degrees in both who say that the humanities (History) degree was far harder - for them.

To diss a person because of their degree is rather sad in my opinion.

Exactly, it all depends on what side of the fence you're sitting. I have a degree in English lit and excelled in writing but was dismal at math and science, while many of my acquaintances in those latter fields were brilliant but didn't have good writing skills. I didn't think any less of them, and was confident the feeling was mutual.

I applaud Beatrice for being one of the few royals to obtain a college degree, working through a disability to get it, and hopes she puts it to good use.

This topic of duties and roles has become awfully vague. Supposedly, it has been insinuated that their uncle the Prince of Wales will reduce the number of royal duties performed by his relatives when he becomes king. It is assumed that included in this group of relatives are Princess Beatrice and her younger sister Princess Eugenie. As a result it is recommended that their uncle should not or will not provide them with the financial support to sustain a certain quality of life. Also it is recommended that their grandmother expedite this scenario by ceasing all current financial support immediately. An alternative means of support for the princesses would include income earned via employment in a certain profession. Flaunting their status as royals has been put forward as a strategy to facilitate acquiring a position. The culmination of such actions including a stellar performance in their chosen professions will in turn improve their acceptability amongst the public. Does this sum it up?

Why is it assumed that the Prince of Wales won't allow his nieces to perform royal duties? Do their performance of royal duties have anything to do with their quality of life? What kind of "professional" career does one suggest for a royal princess? If they were to seek private employment, would it be ethical for the princesses to exploit their royal status?

Average people go and start working because they want to be financially independent and their parents tell them to move out at a certain age.Most of the people I know started with work they didn´t enjoy much because they wanted to make some money while they were training to get the career they were passionate about.
I suggested arts because it is a relatively "free" business and you can even make a career without a degree if you have a lot of talent and work hard.People like Karl Lagerfeld or Jean Paul Gaultier don´t hold a degree from a well-known university/college but are among the most influental designers of our time.Being successful in fashion and art is a lot about good networking and being able to deliver what the general public wants to see.It doesn´t matter if you were the best at Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design if nobody likes your creations.
I don´t believe that marriage and charity will be a fulfilling job for the York Princesses.Most of these "trophy wives" who marry rich men and have no own career or special cause end up desperate,bored and frustrated...

Last edited:
I suggested arts because it is a relatively "free" business and you can even make a career without a degree if you have a lot of talent and work hard.People like Karl Lagerfeld or Jean Paul Gaultier don´t hold a degree from a well-known university/college but are among the most influental designers of our time.Being successful in fashion and art is a lot about good networking and being able to deliver what the general public wants to see.It doesn´t matter if you were the best at Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design if nobody likes your creations.

Fashion is a terribly competitive field; I could even describe it as cut-throat.
I can't imagine Beatrice doing well there, unless it's as a sort of figurehead.

When Caroline Kennedy finished school, she initially took a job at the Metropolitan Museum in New York.
There was some criticism of course (other candidates were better qualified) but it quickly died down and she continued working there.

Beatrice can use her status to find a niche like that; since it truly isn't a business, she can't be accused of using her title to profit.

To sum up: here are the main problems the York girls face in pursuing their father's dream of having them be serious working royals:

1. Sarah, Andrew, Sarah, Sarah Sarah

2. Too much partying, too many photos of one or the other falling out of nightclubs* and a history of unfortunate clothing choices which has now morphed into the wearing of extremely expensive designers (read Elie Saab, Vivienne Westwood, etc).**

3. Sarah, Andrew, Sarah, Sarah, Sarah.

Fairness, sadly, has nothing to do with it. Perception, in our telegenic world, is EVERYTHING -- and the York girls must understand this and behave accordingly.

*Note that it is unfortunate and unfair (for us members of the female sex) but girls look much worse than boys after a night of overindulging. Kate understood that and always took care not to drink too much and to "fix her face" before facing the inevitable photographers after a night at Boujiis. Good sense goes a long way...

**Kate's practice of mixing high street style with the occasional touch of designer has gone a long way to reinforce the perception of good sense that she is more and more widely accorded.

Yes, Caroline Kennedy did work at the Met, but she went on to further education in the law.

The girls won't need to work to support themselves. They have trust funds. I'm sure they will receive more when their grandparents pass. If they end up being working royals, they will receive money for their offices, just like current working royals do. The civil list (which is covered by the Queen) is not a salary for the royal - but an amount to cover working expenses.

Yes, Caroline Kennedy did work at the Met, but she went on to further education in the law.

True; her situation was a bit different than Beatrice's.

I only meant this same type of job, which Beatrice could easily get through her connections, wouldn't be one where she'd be accused to cashing in to make a profit, since the employer would have non-profit status.

As well as having a degree in Fine Arts from Harvard. She was most definitely qualified for the job she received.

It would be the equivalent of Beatrice working as a researcher for a prominent British historian or educating at say a national Historical Site. Something directly related to the degree.

N.B. This isn't me saying that Beatrice should only work in those examples but just adding more context to the Caroline Kennedy analogy.

As well as having a degree in Fine Arts from Harvard. She was most definitely qualified for the job she received.

Perhaps, but not as qualified as some of the other applicants at the time, who had not only the required degree, but also experience in the field.

Let's face it, if she'd been Caroline Smith, she wouldn't have gotten the job.

(This is not to say she didn't do well in the position, just that it was her name that got her in the door). :flowers:

^^^^
In my experience most people end up working in fields that have little to do with what they studied at university unless they have a more vocational degree such as accounting or engineering. Liberal arts degrees expose you to a wide range of subjects beyond your core area which makes one quite adaptable. One of the purposes of a degree is to prove your ability to learn, not to say that you studied history so that is all you are capable of doing for your entire life.

PrincessKaimi said:
In short, image is everything in the business they're in.

Indeed, so what have these girls done to damage their image that other royals haven't exactly?

^^^^
In my experience most people end up working in fields that have little to do with what they studied at university unless they have a more vocational degree such as accounting or engineering. Liberal arts degrees expose you to a wide range of subjects beyond your core area which makes one quite adaptable. One of the purposes of a degree is to prove your ability to learn, not to say that you studied history so that is all you are capable of doing for your entire life.

:previous: That was my point. Perhaps it wasn't well articulated but I was saying that people can't assume just because Beatrice wouldn't want to work in a stuffy researcher's office (?, don't know they're "place of work") that she used her name to surpass those who have degrees in fashion, etc. in getting a job.

To be completely honest it's currently a cut-throat environment in absolutely every line of work now a days. It should be assumed that everyone with the littlest connections will be using them to get a job, without any of the unfavourable reactions that Beatrice is receiving. Thank you GFC!

... [snipped] That would be so ridiculously sad if they simply quit life like that. Unless, of course, it's who they actually are. They'd still be sad but it'd be pathetic instead of unfortunate.
It would be naive to assume that Princess Beatrice's and Princess Eugenie' positions within the British caste system have no influence on their future employment opportunities. It would be much easier for them to land plum jobs than extra bright Mr. or Ms. XXX.

Indeed, so what have these girls done to damage their image that other royals haven't exactly?

Image is in the minds of people - so you'd have to ask all the people who think they have a poor image. I certainly have no real idea - but people throughout this thread have suggested that Sarah and Andrew have something to do with it, as well as other factors.

You don't have to DO anything to end up with a poor image in the public mind. Sometimes it's what you don't do - and it's often ineffable. Some people have charisma (William) and others do not. William and Harry are both benefited by the mana shed by their mother, which still descends upon them, especially William as I hear people say "oh, he looks so much like his mother, look at that smile," in a swooning tone of voice. I do not know why people react the way they do to other people. It's like falling in love - you either do or you don't.

But what the object of our affections DOES is often not the whole of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom