Duties and Roles of Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie 1: Discussion Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no statement but the regular reports of the discussions and decisions of the Way Ahead group that has been meeting since 1994 to determine the policies and practices of the Royal Family.

This meeting consists of senior members of the royal family and members of parliament. As early as 1998 these reports were coming out Revamping the royals | The Economist One of the first decisions, which has been put into practice, was the limiting the people who can use HRH - with Edward's children not using those titles.

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | Columnists :: No royal role for Andrew's girls

Another article about the Princesses not taking on royal duties.

Wonder when Beatrice will begin her internships.

This article is saying what others have been saying for some time but it also has at least one glaring error.

There are not six people on the civil list now so how can it be reduced to six (currently there are only 2 - The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh).

If this is right and there are only going to be 6 what will be the role of Charles' siblings as well as Beatrice and Eugenie.

Currently there are 14 royals carrying out official duties and royal duties. Charles wants 6 only - presumably Charles, Camilla, William, Kate, Harry and xxxx (Harry's wife). Where does that leave Andrew, Edward, Sophie and Anne in particular. Charles was very outspoken about Edward and Sophie trying to work but he wants his HRH neices to work.

It also seems that the girls weren't told this before starting their uni degrees which is sad as that means they chose degrees that couldn't necessarily lead them to jobs that they want to do. I know when my friends and I chose our degrees we did so with an idea of our future careers and did subjects that we didn't necessarily want to do but because they would help us get to our chosen jobs e.g. for me doing 1st year English was a requirement to become a primary teacher but if that wasn't my chosen career I would have done Latin).

Last edited:
They name the six: Charles, William, Harry, Edward, Andrew, Anne.

The article I read didn't name anyone.

If the six you name are right then where does that leave Camllia and Kate - surely as the future Queens Consort they should be one of those six? What about Sophie?

Were you referring to the article whose link you posted in your quote? That article (the Daily Express) names those six.

I would think that William and Catherine, Harry and his wife, etc. were considered to have joint finances for the purpose of this article. How accurate that is, I don't know.

It's puzzling to me that Charles would like to leave the Working Royals to be Himself, William, Harry, Andrew, Anne and Edward.

Charles, Andrew, Anne and Edward aren't getting any younger and although all work hard, the time will come when they will have to scale back.

If, God willing, The Queen makes it another 15 years, Prince Charles will be 77, The Princess Royal 76, Prince Andrew 66 and Prince Edward 62. Now, they may all be healthy, robust individuals, but common sense would dictate that someone should be there to pick up the slack.

The Yorkies are really the perfect ones for the job. Not only are they both university educated, but both are HRH, Princesses and well versed in media scrutiny thanks to the exploits of The Duke and Duchess of York. Peter and Zara Phillips are neither titled nor particularly interested in the job it would seem and Edward's children will both still be teenagers when Charles is crowned.

The Way Forward Group cannot have determined this to be a wise course of direction, I won't be surprised if there isn't much conjecture about this subject over the next decade.

Were you referring to the article whose link you posted in your quote? That article (the Daily Express) names those six.

I would think that William and Catherine, Harry and his wife, etc. were considered to have joint finances for the purpose of this article. How accurate that is, I don't know.

Sorry you are correct - I missed that paragraph because it is below the add and I simply missed it.

It also seems strange that he therefore doesn't want the spouses to be classes as working royals - as they aren't named they obviously aren't going to be doing official duties.

If this is right then when William becomes King he will have Harry and his own children, who may very much be still too young, or be denied the youth that he and Harry have had.

Maybe this is a shortsighted decision - but it is great for the girls as they will be able to choose their own way in life and not have to spend it doing the boring grind of royal duties, pretending to be interested in everyone and everything under the sun.

The fact that there are only two people on the civil list now still raises the question about the level of research that this article indicates. To have six on the Civil List would actually raise the number and William won't be on it until he is King (although the name is changing anyway).

Charles supports himself, Camilla, William, Kate and Harry at the moment (yes I know the boys have independent sources of income through their jobs and their inheritance from Diana's estate but they also have money from Charles) and the Queen supports the rest from her private income.

This is the crux of the issue though - when Charles is King he clearly doesn't want to have to support his neices and also doesn't want to have to burden William, or even William's eldest child with that responsiblity so he wants to cut the umbilical cord and force more minor members of the family to fend for themselves e.g. Princess Alexandra - the Queen's first cousin and Charles' second cousin so William's third cousin could theoretically still be alive when Willam becomes King and thus still need to be supported by William as she really has no other means of support. How many people even know their grandparents' first cousins let alone would be expected to support them?

Last edited:
I think the first thing we should do is check out the date on this article - 12th May 1998. From 1998 to 2000 there was no indication that the York girls were to be figuratively "kicked out of the kingdom" so to speak. There have been no recent credible reports to that effect either.

I would venture to guess that times change. What we thought and did in 1998 is vastly different to that of 2011. The world itself has changed, and I for one do not believe that Prince Charles thinks it a grand idea that as his parents, uncles and aunts reduce or finish their royal duties due to their age, that He, William, Harry and their respective spouses pick up the slack.

Charles and Camilla are already fully committed. William, at present, is a full-time RAF SAR Pilot and intends to continue for the next couple of years at least with he and his wife carrying out very limited duties. Harry is a full-time Army Pilot and intends to make it his career. The Princess Royal will carry on as long as she feels the need. Edward and Sophie will do the same. They have left the options open for their children as whilst they are both HRH's, they do not use them at present.

The Duke of York is more problematic, but I have yet to hear any "reliable" or "verifiable" reports of any war/feud between Charles and Andrew, and Andrew has his uses for trade or trade would not be "using" him to promote them regardless of the "scandal". Either way I cannot see Charles cutting off his nose to spite his face by disadvantaging his nieces at the expense of his sons!

I do not believe that Charles is going to force his sons out of the military and into public life, so other arrangements are going to have to be made because pulling royal support and patronage from the number of organisations and Military Units that are presently covered by the older members of the BRF would be a PR disaster.

Perhaps the York girls do have a part to play in the "public face" of the BRF. We shall see.

Last edited:
I think that is the idea to cut down on the finances in the future and make things more streamlined. This has been around for a few years and it may not have mattered the girls could off chosen the same Uni courses anyway. I noticed the tone of the story in regards to Beatrice. Her showing up at parties and not working is being noticed, she left Uni over 4 months ago and so far she hasn't seemed to really do anything except holiday and party. I thought she was going to do internships so she can work in the charity industry? With her degree there are jobs she can do. Beatrice has always said she wants to be involved in charity work but it looks like it won't be in connection with the RF which is what Andrew wanted. I am a little confused as too what will happen to some of the charities that rely on the RF now though I just can't see how such a small number will be able to do the things they are doing now. Unless they work out some sort of system or cut out certain charities. I don't think Andrew will have much luck with the Queen she is aware that at the end it is Charles's decision I would think he had her support or the girls would still have the 24 hour police protection.

I think the first thing we should do is check out the date on this article - 12th May 1998. From 1998 to 2000 there was no indication that the York girls were to be figuratively "kicked out of the kingdom" so to speak. There have been no recent credible reports to that effect either.

When I made my original link I did make it clear that that report was from 1998 and has been repeated since then a number of times actually as I said
This meeting consists of senior members of the royal family and members of parliament. As early as 1998 these reports were coming out Revamping the royals | The Economist One of the first decisions, which has been put into practice, was the limiting the people who can use HRH - with Edward's children not using those titles.

This year it has regularly been reported that the courtiers have told the girls they aren't needed. The rift between Andrew and Charles has also been reported regularly.

Now although the reports are in sources that are dubious in many ways there have never been any reports to contradict them such as 'Beatrice is looking at what charities she will be supporting now that she has finished uni' but more 'she doesn't know what she will be doing'. Those comments suggest some late change in plans to me - most girls at 23 on leaving uni know what they intend on doing - to a certain extent but she has no idea. That says a lot without actually having to say anything.

Beatrice is a credit to the BRF here.

By turning up well put together or by attending a foreign fashion show for a day? :lol:
She looks good yes, but it'd prefer it if she looked good actually doing something other than watching Size Zero models walk down a catwalk and back.

Beatrice is a credit to the BRF here.

By turning up well put together or by attending a foreign fashion show for a day? :lol:
She looks good yes, but it'd prefer it if she looked good actually doing something other than watching Size Zero models walk down a catwalk and back.

Quite right!

Quite right!

:previous: Have you got any suggestions for HRH Princess Beatrice Elizabeth Mary of York, the 23-year old 2:1 degree recipient in history and the history of ideas from Goldsmiths College less than two months ago?:ermm:

This appearance IS a reflection on the BRF, no matter you might disagree. Look at Princess Anne, a hard working royal who pays no mind to her appearance what-so-ever. A little polish and she would ZING! Now when Beatrice puts herself together such as this look at a charity event, walk-about, or whathave you for The Firm, then yes, we all will be taking her very seriously, in the meantime, this is very good practice for her and I applaud her efforts to look sophistacated and mature.

This appearance IS a reflection on the BRF, no matter you might disagree. Look at Princess Anne, a hard working royal who pays no mind to her appearance what-so-ever. A little polish and she would ZING! Now when Beatrice puts herself together such as this look at a charity event, walk-about, or whathave you for The Firm, then yes, we all will be taking her very seriously, in the meantime, this is very good practice for her and I applaud her efforts to look sophistacated and mature.

IMHO, there are good and valid points in ALL the recent posts above. I certainly think that Beatrice looks poised and elegant in the photographs. But I also think that she DOES need to be seen to be doing something worthwhile, otherwise - however unfair it might seem - she is going to be accused of doing nothing except shop, holiday and club.

The problem is that Beatrice is, IMHO, in a Royal 'no man's land'. The general feeling seems to be [based on these stories that emanate allegedly from BP] that she is NOT going to have a royal role. But then there is talk about her widening her charitable interests, which to me does suggest the beginnings of a Royal career. Which, if true, will really preclude her from working at a full time career.

Whilst I have not got a shred of evidence to back this up, I feel that the reason for the apparently hostility to the York princesses taking up royal duties has in its roots the various 'difficulties' that have beset their mother. From what I have seen in my work, there is a huge appetite for 'working royals' from many 'unsung' organisations, charitable and otherwise. The 'major' Royals and the 'large and important organisations' always hit the headlines, and so the general public is very familiar with (say) the Princess Royal and her work with Save the Children, and Prince Charles with his own Prince's Trust and his Environmental interests. But there is much 'bread-and-butter' Royal work that needs doing - small charities, particularly those concerned with 'unglamorous' subject matters will always be grateful for a Royal presence to help with fundraising, to visit and inspire projects etc and to present awards and prizes etc. It's the sort of work that 'Division Two' royals such as Princess Alexandra carry out so brilliantly. Over the past few years the BRF have lost workers such as the Queen Mother, the Princess of Wales [love her or loathe her, she was carrying out engagements post separation], Princess Alice, the Duchess of Kent. [And, I suppose, even Princess Margaret, although the general perception is that she was quite lazy]. Charles has remarried, but Camilla does not seem to be as active as Diana. In other words, to me there has been a 'net loss' overall so far as the 'Performing Royals Index' goes. And look, the current crop of Royals are getting no younger and many of whom are either approaching pensionable age or have been of pensionable age for some years. Thus, there really needs to be someone who can take over Royal duties.....

I therefore think that if Beatrice is going to have Royal duties, then the position needs to be clarified and confirmed asap. Otherwise, she is really going to have to either start a career or marry Dave!! IMHO, it is a poor move by the Palace to 'let things drift', because it opens B to accusations of 'lazy old Yorks yet again'. All of which is doubly unfortunate because she is one of the best educated members of the royal family - several male Royals have made it to university, but no home produced royal females. I therefore think that Beatrice - if she is not going to take on ANY royal work - is going to have to plan some form of career pretty sharpish!

Just my thoughts and not meant to offend,

Alex

Last edited:
Is the Palace concerned that somehow, somewhere, Sarah might "get her oar in"? I've never had the impression that Beatrice was in any way reluctant to make public appearances, including of course charity work. She's always pleasant and cheery, and so I think that she'd be a fine rep for HM.

I therefore think that if Beatrice is going to have Royal duties, then the position needs to be clarified and confirmed asap. Otherwise, she is really going to have to either start a career or marry Dave!! IMHO, it is a poor move by the Palace to 'let things drift', because it opens B to accusations of 'lazy old Yorks yet again'.

Well Beatrice looks polished and very elegant here. I have high hopes that she will use her connections well and perhaps take on a few patronages in the future, but she is still young and I think she should be given some space to decide what she wants to do.( I personally don't see marriage on the cards just yet).

Beatrice finished her course in May she got the Degree in July so that is over 4 months to decide what to do. Which is a long holiday for anyone. BP has said she will be doing internships but so far nothing has started and eventually will get some sort of job in a charity maybe. As long as she is being seen out and about at parties and fashion shows and holidays without something more substantial like a job then the press is going to start questioning. BP has said they will not be working Royals so they will need to get jobs. It seems so fuzzy because it's hard to work out how so few will be able to do so many engagements. But Charles is said to want things streamlined and doesn't want the burden of supporting anymore working Royals and it is him who would be paying Bea and Eugenie in the end. Bea should start one of her many internships she is supposed to have lined up at least she will be seen as doing something useful her having such a good education means the press will expect more out of her. Marrying Dave looks a couple of years away at least. The more Bea is seen out and about all dressed up with nothing to do the more harsh the press will become. I read that story it seemed they spoke to Bea's security guard and not Bea I can't imagine she would be so rude!

There are plenty of people who graduated from university/college and haven't gotten a job right away. Lest anyway forgets...jobs are hard to come by for some right now.

So Beatrice gets a job and is accused by the masses (let's not act like we don't know how a lot of Daily Mailers think) of stealing someone's job because she is well off and surely she doesn't really need to work. She doesn't get a job and is accused of living a jet set life style. Guess what...she isn't normal, she doesn't have to work for a living...I would imagine she could live off the interest of her trust funds alone. I do agree that she needs to do something worthwhile with her life, but frankly as long as future Queen of England isn't doing royal engagements on a regular....I don't see why Beatrice should be held to a higher standard.

And frankly, its only been four months.

I really don't have any "advice" for what Princess Bea could do. While I agree that there are a lot of minefields among her choices, the fact is that she really has a lot more choices (if not necessarily a lot of freedom) than the average new graduate.

I will say that I thought that the red gown she was wearing made her look just stunning. Round of applause.

ETA: I read the article. The picture of Bea made me look twice, three times. First time, I looked and said, good Lord, she looks just like Andrew. Second look - good Lord, she looks just like Sarah. Third look - good Lord, she looks just like Queen Victoria.

Last edited:
Good point about the job-stealing. Things are tough out there. Her situation is complex. Even a non-paying internship in an interesting field will be fiercely competed over and she has a certain kind of advantage.

I think, though, that someone somewhere will make a job just for her, and various persons/forces will probably be involved in its creation. I agree that her doing some volunteer work (not necessarily "charity" work) would be a good next step, and I hope she's mulling it over.

I can't imagine a life without some kind of meaningful work, though, so perhaps I have a class bias. If indeed she is happy going to fashion shows, clubs, and hanging out with friends until the eventual wedding with the boyfriend, then that's she'll likely do.

What's the boyfriend's job?

I think he's involved in selling Branson's recreational space travel.

You're thinking of hands-on work for a charity rather than showing up at charities and shaking hands and unveiling plaques and so on? I think of volunteerism as similar to "charity work" in that the person is doing the job out of concern for the aims of the charity/institution and not for financial benefit.

I agree that her doing some volunteer work (not necessarily "charity" work) would be a good next step, and I hope she's mulling it over.

You're thinking of hands-on work for a charity rather than showing up at charities and shaking hands and unveiling plaques and so on? I think of volunteerism as similar to "charity work" in that the person is doing the job out of concern for the aims of the charity/institution and not for financial benefit.

I've heard an interesting term in the areas in which I participate: fauxlunteer. It's where someone is a volunteer who does no work and only associates with the more "popular" charities, out of self-interest rather than a desire to serve. It's starting to become an issue as winter fundraising events are being planned and finalized down here on the sunny Gold Coast of Florida.

I'd love to see Bea mix genuine charity work including being the marquee-name draw for fundraising events, and not along the lines of a fauxlunteer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom