Duties and Roles of Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie 1: Discussion Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of me even wonders if Beatrice and Eugenie would be more well thought of if they dressed in a more classic (though not boring) way. Sometimes the loud colors and the frilly frocks and the fascinators make them look frivolous--and I'm one who thinks well of Beatrice and Eugenie! In terms of evening wear, Beatrice is actually dressing more conservatively than she used to.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they wear fascinators because they are afraid of wearing full blown hats, you don't see many royals there age wearing hats. I can understand about the way the dress, I loved there outfits at Ascot portraying the red, white and blue. :)

They do royal duties, charity events, Beatrice has even ventured to the film industry, both are studying hard at Uni at the same time, I don't see what people have against them other than Sarah.

I think people have against them the perception that Beatrice and Eugenie are party girls who do nothing but go to nightclubs and take vacations at taxpayer expense. It's a problem more of perception than reality, IMO. haven't seen pictures of them coming out of nightclubs very often lately, and of course we don't see pictures of them studying at university.

I do agree that Beatrice and Eugenie would probably be perceived better if they dressed more conservatively. We live in an image-dominated society, and "a picture is worth a thousand words."

Honestly I think its a bit of all of the above:

1) Beatrice and Eugenie are perceived as Sarah and Airlines Andy's children. Diana is perceived (rightly or wrongly) as a Saint (and a royal pariah to some) and Charles is the same. Many think he is a great PoW and others think he is worthless...but its almost evenly matched. You find very little people who think well of Sarah (particularly after this last fiasco) and the same with Andy. So is Beatrice and Eugenie had different parents it might be different;
2) As iluvbertie previously mentioned....Beatrice and Eugenie are no different than William and Harry. Unforunately for Bea and Eug, the passage of time has made people forget that Harry and William did the same thing. Its been what...three to five years since William and Harry became serious about their careers (army and royal).
3) Let's face it....controversy sells papers and its all about perception. Papers like the The Sun and the Daily Mail can say what they want (as long as it isn't libelous) because who is going to challenge them? Certainly not Buckingham Palace. BP will only step in when it gets ridiculous.

I could go on and on but I think you get the point.

The taxpayers pay about 74p for the royal family, the entire royal family every year. Personally I don't have a problem with that.
The 74p does not include security costs.

I think comparing the Wales boys with the York girls, either now or when the boys were 21 is just not relevant.

In my mind, the bigger point is, irrespective of titles, do we see a major role in the BRF for the York girls. In my view, the answer to that question in an unequivocal no. Small parts, like those currently played by the Kents and Gloucesters, but little more than that on a day to day basis. I appreciate that they do some charity work and make appearances at other royal events. These girls really should plan careers for themselves independent of the family. I really do not think Charles will be offering them much more than that in a hurry.

I think the girls are young, and it is only fair they be allowed to party as often as they like (within reason!), as long as it does not compromise on their academics. I also think that the argument that their movements should be restricted because of security costs is spurious - they are either deemed to need security or not.

I think that as soon as Beatrice and Eugenie start carrying out duties after their studies on behalf of the monarch they will have the appropriate security. They have done some charity work, but I'm not sure this has been on behalf of the Queen. They do attend some official duties such as Trooping the Coulour, where security is present anyway.

Would they have more of a responsiblity because of their titles? More than Princess Ann's son and daughter? No titles, no duties? Charlotte Casiraghi does not have duties because she is not titled.

I believe so, yes. Beatrice and Eugenie are currently fifth and sixth in line to the throne. Given their position, I think that they'll be expected to do at least some royal duties until William's children are of age.

Would they have more of a responsiblity because of their titles? More than Princess Ann's son and daughter? No titles, no duties? Charlotte Casiraghi does not have duties because she is not titled.

Yes they do have a certain amount of "responsibility" to their titles.
And when they have finished uni, they will have to start royal duties. But as they get older, their roles in the royal family will decrease.

Yes they do have a certain amount of "responsibility" to their titles.
And when they have finished uni, they will have to start royal duties. But as they get older, their roles in the royal family will decrease.

I do expect that they will start royal duties when leaving uni but I wonder why we expect that of them but not of William (Harry of course didn't go to uni so it is unfair to compare them with him on this issue).

Maybe one or both of the girls would like to do something else with their lives first - like the boys get the chance to join the military. I wonder if either of them might considering joining the navy for instance.

I could see Eugenie going to work, but not going into the armed forces.
I don't know about you, but I certainly expect that of William.

I could see Eugenie going to work, but not going into the armed forces.
I don't know about you, but I certainly expect that of William.

I think my point is really that we are expecting the princesses to take on royal duties as their role in life in their early 20s despite being further from the throne and yet William and Harry have been allowed to delay that role until their late 20s. To be fair the girls should be allowed to spend their 20s doing their own thing like the boys have been allowed to do.

I think my point is really that we are expecting the princesses to take on royal duties as their role in life in their early 20s despite being further from the throne and yet William and Harry have been allowed to delay that role until their late 20s. To be fair the girls should be allowed to spend their 20s doing their own thing like the boys have been allowed to do.

I do not think the York girls should be encoiuraged to think about royak duties at all. They should be developing independent careers for themselves, and occassioanlly carry out the odd engagement to support the crown.

I am sorry muriel...but I don't see that happening.

The older generation of the BRF is getting old....so within 10 years you could see the absence of the Queen, DoE and any of the Kents and the Gloucesters.

Surely Edward, Sophie and Camilla will pick up some patronages...as well as William and Harry but goodness knows Anne couldn't do anymore...and as William and Harry are in the service it will fall to Beatrice at least. I mean, she is 5th in line to the throne.

In 10 yeats time, i would expect to see William, his wife and Harry's wife to be full time working royals. I would also expect Harry to be dividing his time between armed fioces duties and royal duties, so it may well be that the role for the York girls could be similar (or lesser) to that of the Gloucesters and Kents today

I can certainly see the Yorks doing the work of the Gloucesters and the Kents.

Remember the reason that the Gloucesters and Kents picked up so much work (although their parents had been doing it in the past) because by the time Margaret got married, it was just the Queen, DoE (as their kids were fairly young and Andrew and Edward not even born yet), the Queen Mother, Princess Alice (Countess of Athlone not doing much), you had th DoG in Australia for a bit (not a successful run), the DoK was dead so it was up to Marina, and Alexandra to help pick up the slack. Fast forward 10 to 15 years, Edward is married, in the military, Marina is dead and he and Katherine pick up some work. Prince William die, the DoG has a stroke and can't do anything, and so Richard marries Brigitte becomes DoG (totally unexpected he was training to be an architect), and he and Brigitte starting working for the Firm. They all picked up the slack because there was work tobe done. If that is the case with Beatrice and Eugenie I imagine they would do the same.

And honestly, considering that William (and Harry) don't seem like a they are pressed to be married so we are not sure if they will have wives in 10 years. If they follow some of the other European royals (like Phillipe, Frederick, WA) they didn't get married until their mid to late 30's.

Again, I would like Beatrice to have a more active role. The world is a dangerous place and both William and Harry are in the spotlight with dangerous roles. Anything can happen and we could find ourselves with a Queen Beatrice. She really isn't an awful person she just needs to do a bit of growing up...and so far, other than her dress sense....she has been somewhat okay.

Last edited:

Well not we.
I don't expect them to do everything all at once in their early 20's but i'd like them to start doing something.

Kate Middleton snubs Fashion For The Brave dinner for war heroes | Mail Online

The article mainly focuses on Kate and Pippa, but

Of the 320 invitations sent out, just four people did not RSVP. The other two were the student ­princesses, Beatrice and Eugenie.
‘In the Princesses’ case, we sent the invitations to the Duke of York’s office at Buckingham ­Palace.
‘At the Palace, we were told both girls were at university, but we still didn’t get a formal response, which we think — to put it bluntly — is pretty rude.’

I saw that article and thought it a bit whiny to sit there and complain that she was not given an "official" no. While the dinner was for a good cause, she admitted that they were given a response as to why the girls couldn't make it, the invite may have never even been sent forward. so complaining that it wasn't done in "the right way" seems more about getting some publicity than anything else.

It's rude not to respond to an invitation when a person is asked to RSVP, but it's just as rude to tell something that puts someone in a bad light.:ermm:

I thought the article was just plain unnecessary. The Mail has never been partial to Kate and prints whatever they can to place Kate and her family in a bad light.

I forgot to add that even though it's a whining piece, if it's true that Beatrice and Eugenie as well as the Middleton sisters didn't respond to the invitations, it's in very poor form for all of them. I don't think it warranted an outraged piece in the Mail.:)

It's rather nice of the DM to focus on Kate and Pippa not attending the event, rather than two actual princesses.

It's rather nice of the DM to focus on Kate and Pippa not attending the event, rather than two actual princesses.

The article does point out that according to BP the princesses didn't receive the invitations - so no doubt that is why they being condemned for not replying - the office that manages their affairs says it didn't receive the invitations.

The article does point out that according to BP the princesses didn't receive the invitations - so no doubt that is why they being condemned for not replying - the office that manages their affairs says it didn't receive the invitations.

Well, the office said the princesses didn't receive the invitations. That might be a polite way of saying that the office got the invitations but never bothered to let Beatrice and Eugenie know...

On the other hand, it seems that Party Pieces told the charity that Kate and Pippa got the invitations. If so, then they should have responded. If they didn't actually get them, Party Pieces is at fault for not telling the truth.

I found this info on another Board that " the event is expected to raise 1 million pounds" and this quote was from the Telegraph before the event. The Mail reported that the event raised 225,000 pounds. So I'm believe that the event organizers are trying to find blame for the lack of funds collected and it's easy to blame the Middleton and York sisters.;)

I asked this somewhere else but I can't remember where, If the Princess' never recieved the invitation, then BP spoke on their behalf when they said that they were both at uni and couldn't attend?

It should have been up to the girls whether they could have attended the event.

I asked this somewhere else but I can't remember where, If the Princess' never recieved the invitation, then BP spoke on their behalf when they said that they were both at uni and couldn't attend?

It should have been up to the girls whether they could have attended the event.

If the girls never received the invitations then they couldn't have a say as they knew nothing about it. BP handles the princesses engagements at this time because they are full time students. The powers that be there make the decisions.

If the girls never received the invitations then they couldn't have a say as they knew nothing about it. BP handles the princesses engagements at this time because they are full time students. The powers that be there make the decisions.

Agreed. Though they are adults, their family knows it's important to have as few distractions as possible when in school so it doesn't seem surprising that, in the middle of term, they wouldn't have an invite forwarded.

But they should have been allowed a say, it's not like this was going to a nightclub on a school night. It was a charity event.
On the Monday 11th October, Beatrice attending the Art for Bhopal Charity event.
On Wednesday 13th October, Beatrice and Dave were out for the evening.
On Thursday 14th October, Beatrice was at Boujis Bar.

The last time Eugenie was seen, other than those Facebook pictures was September 7/8th.

Surely a charity event would have been suitable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom