Duties and Roles of Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie 1: Discussion Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, I stand by one of my earlier posts that its too early too write the York girls off.

We don't know what the future holds. For all we know, the monarchy can disappear after Queen Elizabeth dies.

But its important to note a couple of things in British history:

No one EVER though the following people had a chance at being crowned King or Queen of England: Queen Elizabeth I, Elizabeth II, Mary I, William IV, George VI, George V, James I, and George III (his father Frederick, Prince of Wales died before HE could become King).

I am not even talking about the Kings who took the throne by force.

And at some point, the royal family will become smaller. Once the current Dukes of Kent and Gloucester die, their heirs will become Your Grace's. Beatrice and Eugenie have the opportunity to contribute to the BRF.

If it is left to B or Eugenie to become monarch, that is the time I think the UK would become a republic.

We will see what they can contribute in this modern day and age, sadly with their reputations, deserved or not, I don't hold out a lot of hope of anything worthwhile.

These girls can't even pick a nice or,at least,decent dress :whistling: Are we sure they can handle more "duties"? :cool:

I am really disappointed that people here are writing off a 21 and 18 year old.

For crying out loud they are young and have a lot of growing up to do.

Both are at university (well Eugenie starts this week) so have a number of years before their future is decided.

As Beatrice will serve as a Councillor of State over the next 20+ years she has to be available for that role if needed (she is eligible now I think but if not will be when Charles becomes King as the Coucillors of State are either the next 4 or 5 in line over the age of 21). As a result until either William or Harry have a child reach 21 she will be involved in royal matters as she simply could be asked to do the job temporarily at any time over the next generation. These are the people who do the job of monarch when the monarch is out of the country by the way. The monarch appoints one or more of them before leaving the country. Scenario - Charles is King, William is touring the US, Harry on deployment to some place needing peacekeepers, Andrew is in China working for the government and Charles has a stroke. For the day or so it takes to get William home Beatrice would actually be the one in charge.

These girls will be working for the firm to a greater or lesser extent for the next 20 years or so.

---- SHORTENED ------ Scenario - Charles is King, William is touring the US, Harry on deployment to some place needing peacekeepers, Andrew is in China working for the government and Charles has a stroke. For the day or so it takes to get William home Beatrice would actually be the one in charge --- SHORTENED ---
I just wonder how many times HM has had to use stand ins at the bottom of the pecking order.:cool: Of course if Charles has a stroke, he wouldn't be appointing anyone!:whistling:

IMO, most people in the UK have no idea who B or E are and again IMO, would question the need for a monarchy if we were reduced to having either of these young women represent us. They may be young but what have they done so far that is memorable or praiseworthy?

And I,dear Iluvbertie,find it extremely odd for grown-ups to support girls like Beatrice & Eugenie,as if they are the best examples of 21 and 18 year old people.Personally,I know 13 year old children that are far more intelligent,serious and sophisticated than these 2 royal "I-have-tons-of-opportunities" sweethearts(and,for the record,the children I know don't live in a cage...)...

Thank you Iluvbertie!

I was wondering if was just me or has the world run out of kittens to kick. Which I dont condone by the way just a figure of speech.

First of all, I totally agree that its sad to write off an 18 and 21 year old.

Secondly, I don't think its necessary to use Beatrice and Eugenie's dress as a barometer for public service.

Finally, I think its unfair to compare all 18 and 21 years old. Each young person has their own story, experiences, etc. An 18 in London is not having the same experiences as one in NYC, Rome, Berlin or London. Just like an 18 years who is brought up both of their parents is most likely to have a different maturity than one who was brought up by a single mother, single father or no parents at all. There are 21 years that are more mature than 25 years old, etc. I hope you get my point.

I can't speak on who does and doesn't know of Beatrice and Eugenie in the British public. I would imagine that based on this board and the news (some of it deserved and some of not so deserving) that the image is not positive. But its too early to write people off as worthless.

Last edited:
And I,dear Iluvbertie,find it extremely odd for grown-ups to support girls like Beatrice & Eugenie,as if they are the best examples of 21 and 18 year old people.Personally,I know 13 year old children that are far more intelligent,serious and sophisticated than these 2 royal "I-have-tons-of-opportunities" sweethearts(and,for the record,the children I know don't live in a cage...)...

So becaue they aren't the 'best' we simply write them off.

Thank goodness I don't have to live up to your standards as I too would be a write off, as I make poor choices even now at over 50 let alone at 18 and 21.

They are the same ages as my neices, who have had good educations and currently are at good unis or schools but they are no different to the things these princesses in the way they dress or what they enjoy doing. My family isn't writing them off but allowing them to grow.

It seems that Beatrice and Eugenie aren't allowed any slack (but of course William and Harry were given the slack at the same ages as being 'boys' and being 'young' etc but the girls can't get the same slack.

I suspect that the girls are given bad press because of their parents whereas William and Harry were given slack because they were Diana's sons.

I will give these girls at least 5 years.

:previous: As far as I am concerned it is not the way they dress that bothers me it is the way they act and the company they are sometimes seen with. What I would like to point out is that there are many young girls of that age who are very sensible and mature who have wise parents who give them good advice and an example to follow.
As to the point that there is still time, I admit there are many people who are late developers so perhaps there is hope.

Beatrice needs to step it up and starting doing some duties IMO.

I am and always have been a York supporter and I realize that she is at university but considering she always has the time to take in a fashion show or a party or a fundraiser....she needs to start doing public engagements. At least one or two a quarter that doesn't involve a fashion show.

Okay my rant is over.

She does look lovely though.

Did William and Harry do official engagements when they were in university, though? I'm not saying if Beatrice should or shouldn't, but if William and Harry didn't have to do public duties when they were in school, then I don't think the royal family would suddenly start with Beatrice.

Well there is a difference, William and Harrys future within in the Firm is practically set in stone. What they are expected to do and whay the can and cannot do. The Yorks have much more freedom in deciding what they want to do with their royal life. Ive always felt the Windsors are missing out on a great oppurtunity with the York girls. Everybody loves a princess and they could at least have the York girls accompy their father on official engagments here and there.

Well I certainly don't expect Beatrice and/or Eugenie to all of a sudden do 100 to 200 engagements a year.

Doing engagements with their father and/or grand parents or heck their aunts and uncles every now and then would not hurt their public perception IMO.It might actually improve it.

Again I realize that they are in school, but if you expect the British publc to pay for you (in terms of security) then I don't think that doing an engagement with your family once every three months is not a bad thing.

My own view is that the York girls should focus their energies to developing careers for themselves, independent of the BRF. Alongside their careers, they may from time to time carry out supporting roles on engagements carried out by their grand parents, or uncles and aunt. Clearly, if they choose to develop and support charitable interests, they could do that in their spare time as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Realistically the girls can never be independent of they BRF even if they wanted to be. I think to some degree they will always face the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" method when it comes to carving out a career. As for a supportive role the girls have often been there- standard royal occasions, girls at the unveiling of the Queen Mother statue even accompanying their father (and mother) on foreign trips.
As for charitable interests they've often been seen, Beatrice more so, to support the charities Sarah is patron of and/or supports. Springboard for Children, Children in Crisis and the Teenage Cancer Trust are perfect examples. What about the Duchess and Daughters documentary or Eugenie at the Football Charity outing at Stamford Bridge? We really only know the extent of their involvement when it is reported in the press.
Really I think the girls are doing a wonderful job and are balancing both their education and royal duties just fine. :)

I doubt that their involvement is under reported considering how the paparazzi follow them but I agree on their being stuck. Unlike the Phillips kids, who were purposely kept away, and the Wales boys, who will always the poster boys of the crown, the York girls are in a kind of limbo.

It's simply impossible for them to do anything that isn't somehow connected to the RF. Once William and Harry have children, the Yorks will be pushed into the background but the fact that they are Princesses and receive the perks of their title will keep the scrutiny on them. The best that they can do is find something they like and go all out so as not to be seen as scroungers.

I'm glad that Beatrice is stepping up her game, but i'd like to see her doing more events with family. :)

She is still a full time university student.
No one expected William to do much while he was still a student so why should we expect more of Beatrice?
Sometimes I think people forget that Beatrice and Eugenie are still at university and therefore still entitled to the freedom associated with that time, as William had at their ages.

I haven't forgotten they're at Uni, but IMO they have enough time to party, go to film premieres etc. They could make time occasionally to do events with family, I would of said the same thing about William when he was at Uni. :)

Both York princesses do, do royal events with family members. For example, late last year the Queen and the DoE were in Newcastle on official engagements, Eugenie is studying there and she accompanied them on their engagements that day. Last year at the unveiling of the QM statue both Beatrice (who's at university) and Eugenie (who was on her gap year) were there. When the Queen gave a reception for President Obama last April Beatrice accompanied her father to the reception at Buckingham Palace.

Both princesses have shown they are willing to do royal duties and charity work for that matter but so far Buckingham Palace hasn't organised anything for them (probably since they are both studying) and neither are listed in the Court Circular even when they do accompany a working royal. The working royal is listed the girls aren't.

So the charity work they have done has all be through their mother's organisations The Teenage cancer Trust (both have done work for them) Their mother's charity Children in Crisis (Beatrice is a junior ambassador and is raising money for them in the London marathon) Eugenie also did an engagement with a special olympics type soccer association last year, again one of Sarah's.

Beatrice was also at a reception with her father fairly recently--it was the British Fashion Awards reception at St. James' Palace. She showed up in pictures of the event. It seems that Beatrice and Eugenie are willing to do charity and public engagements, but the royal family doesn't expect them to do regular engagements yet because they are in school.

Speaking of which, how long is Beatrice's program at Goldsmith's College? If it's three years, wouldn't she be finished this year?

I dont think the girls are on the civil list.
They are supported by thier parents.

I dont think the girls are on the civil list.
They are supported by thier parents.

There are only two people on the Civil List - The Queen and Prince Philip. Any other moneys paid from the Civil List to any of them is repaid by the Queen. All of them are given tax-payer funded security (police protection) and expenses incurred in the course of their public duties e.g. if Charles is sent overseas for the government then those expenses are paid by the government (the same as would be paid if a politician was sent).

Charles, Camilla, William and Harry are supported from the Duchy of Cornwall estate and the rest from the Queen's income from the Duchy of Lancaster estate.

:previous:This is NOT the right place for this but Bertie, are there any other duchies that are left to support the royals? I was thinking PA should have received one to offset his helicopter jaunts.

:previous:This is NOT the right place for this but Bertie, are there any other duchies that are left to support the royals? I was thinking PA should have received one to offset his helicopter jaunts.

Prince Andrew derives his income in the form of allowances and capital from HM. There are no Duchies that specifically support the Duchies. So to answer your question, he does not need a Duchy to pay for helicopter jaunts as Mummy pays for it all.

If Mummy pays for everything does that means she pays for Beatrice and Eugenie?
Then of course if it is one of those occasions that Sarah needs financial help and lives in her ex husband´s home then I suppose that Mummy pays for that too.
I bet they all sing "God Save Mummy" in a very heartfelt way.

If Mummy pays for everything does that means she pays for Beatrice and Eugenie?
Then of course if it is one of those occasions that Sarah needs financial help and lives in her ex husband´s home then I suppose that Mummy pays for that too.
I bet they all sing "God Save Mummy" in a very heartfelt way.

I am sure Mummy does not hand Andrew an annual "Sarah allowance". Certain trust funds have probably been established for each of HMs children and grandchildren, and I suspect they live off the interest. Additionally, Mummy probably pays for the staff.

That was not exactly what I was thinking, it was more on the lines that if Mummy pays for Andrew´s living expenses and Sarah goes to live with him she is indirectly being supported by HM. The staff I am sure would not ignore her and let her look after herself etc etc.
In fact she has had her cake and eaten it too at times. No boring royal duties, she can commercialize herself to make money and still occasionally have all the royal trimmings and perquisites. Royal but not royal. Not a bad kind of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom