The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-21-2017, 05:12 PM
Majesty

It is assumed by some fellow posters that Andrew is a wealthy man. Is he indeed? And, if yes, what is the source of his wealth?

Old 08-21-2017, 06:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
It is assumed by some fellow posters that Andrew is a wealthy man. Is he indeed? And, if yes, what is the source of his wealth?
I've wondered that too, mostly because it has been said that Fergie, unlike Diana, didn't receive much of a settlement after the divorce.

I've always thought Andrew was basically subsidized by the Queen, and had little cash or property of his own.

That may not be accurate, since many say all the Royals have substantial trust funds.
But I've always assumed the heir gets just about everything and the rest fend for themselves.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:24 PM
Heir Apparent

He sold his home in 2007 for £15 million, £3 million over the asking price. He no doubt has investments plus a trust fund from the Queen.

He's not living paycheque to paycheque
Old 08-21-2017, 06:40 PM
Heir Apparent

IIRC weren't the Queen's children left a decent amount of money etc from the QM?

LaRae
Old 08-21-2017, 09:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
He sold his home in 2007 for £15 million, £3 million over the asking price.

That was somewhat dodgy though, wasn't it?
The place was rather derelict so why did someone pay that much?
Old 08-21-2017, 09:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
IIRC weren't the Queen's children left a decent amount of money etc from the QM?

LaRae

Yes it was reported about 3 million pounds each. The girls also have money from when the family home was sold. The girls could live lavishly off the interest of their trust funds without eating into actual assets.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks Countessmeout that's what I thought...couldn't imagine they wouldn't be set up well...and will inherit more after Andy passes.

LaRae
Old 08-21-2017, 11:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
That was somewhat dodgy though, wasn't it?

The place was rather derelict so why did someone pay that much?

Why indeed !! Anything Andrew or Sarah do money wise is a ... how and why and just a bit dodgy
Old 08-22-2017, 01:59 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post

LaRae
No, the entire estate of the late Queen Elizabeth went to her only surviving child, Queen Elizabeth II.

Source

The estate was rich in properties but was poor in cash, as the Queen Mother left substantial debts. So I don´t see where the working capital should have come from to leave "a decent amount of" money to her six grandchildren (The Prince of Wales, The Princess Royal, The Duke of York, The Earl of Wessex, The (then) Viscount Linley and Lady Sarah).
Old 08-22-2017, 02:04 AM
Heir Apparent

I believe there have been many many rumours over the years about some sources of Andrew's wealth, (and Sarah's borrowings), some of which might be worth the media looking into. It's been said that, at least during Andrew's trade envoy days, he networked and made many valuable friendships with wealthy foreigners.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:29 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
No, the entire estate of the late Queen Elizabeth went to her only surviving child, Queen Elizabeth II.

Source

The estate was rich in properties but was poor in cash, as the Queen Mother left substantial debts. So I don´t see where the working capital should have come from to leave "a decent amount of" money to her six grandchildren (The Prince of Wales, The Princess Royal, The Duke of York, The Earl of Wessex, The (then) Viscount Linley and Lady Sarah).
According to the article linked, the QM set aside money in trust funds for her grandchildren in 1994.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-22-2017, 04:52 AM
Majesty

Quote:

Source

The monies left to grand children and other family members were probably given to trusts long before she died, so would not have been part of her estate
Old 08-22-2017, 05:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Charles and William may end up supporting the girls anyway.
I don't know if they can be described as trust-fund heiresses; they did have trust funds at one point, but Fergie had access to them (who thought that was a good idea?)

There might not be anything left.
I doubt if Sarah was a trustee so she could only have access to the income and then only if the trustees/girls agreed surely?
I understood that the dvorce settlement gave money directly to the girls in trust funds and gave Sarah very little. Probably because she's known to be so bad with money it was best to set it up directly for the children.
Its possible that if they wind up in financial problems, Charles and Will may have to support them at some stage out of family loyalty, but I think C is trying to minimise the chances of that happening. He wants to keep unnecessary people away from "doing royal duties" so that he can try and avoid having to support them.. If they "work as royals" he may end up wit havng to pay for thtem later on, as the queen has had to do with the Kents. and I thik he also wants to avoid a situation where there are lots and lots of royals working because that way if one of them gets into trouble or causes a scandal he has some distance from tehm.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:50 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
According to the article linked, the QM set aside money in trust funds for her grandchildren in 1994.
Yes, I have seen that, but they inherited nothing from the late Queen Elizabeth, as was the assumption: her entire estate went to her only surviving child. When trust funds were created for her grandchildren, we may assume she made no difference in the children of her daughter Elizabeth or the children of her daughter Margaret. I can not peek in the purse of Andrew or Edward or David or Sarah but none of them appear very wealthy to me. My feeling says that they are well-off, have the luck to have been provided great housing and use of services from the Court but would they all be multi-millionaires, to say something?
Old 08-23-2017, 06:47 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

A number of posts discussing the Queen Mother's inheritance and trust funds have been moved to the Royal Wealth and Finances thread. Please continue any wealth/finances discussion there.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:05 PM
Commoner

With William's third child on the way, any chance of these two having any sort of royal duties is over. They are simply expendable in the grand scheme of the Monarchy and should settle for quiet lives away from the public eye.

Tags
career, education, princess beatrice, princess eugenie, royal duties, social life, styles and titles