Duties and Roles of Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie 1: Discussion Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pardon me for this rant, but: Sadly all we ever see the York girls (and William and Harry, but not as much since they actually have jobs in the military) is go to clubs. Perhaps we should start a thread calling it "Young Royals Out Partying". I know they are young and like all young people entitled to go out, but it's turning in to a profession for them and not very befitting of members of the royal family.

I know that Beatrice is supposed to be in college, but I'm sure pictures by the paparrazi of her strolling to class (albeit 20 minutes late!) don't sell as much as they do of her and her sister leaving a club at 4am. It's getting old and I would think that Granny would have a come to Jesus meeting with them and their parents about the bad image they are projecting.

Well, as you said, it's harder (and probably less convenient) for the photographers to get sellable photos of Beatrice at university, so they try and get photos of her at play. It's like with Kate Middleton - if she goes shopping once a week and to a nightclub once a week, we get photos for the whole week and it appears that she goes shopping every day and to a nightclub every night. But on the other hand, if they're never doing royal duties, you can see why people are getting this perception that they're a bunch of layabouts.

I'm still not sure why these kids aren't starting royal duties. I know they're grandchildren of the monarch rather than children, but the extended royal family is smaller than it was when Charles and Anne started their royal life - back then we had the Queen Mother, Princess Margaret, the Gloucesters, Princess Alice, the Kents, Princess Marina (at least till 1968), and Princess Alexandra. Now all of those people are pretty much retired or have died, and the Queen and her children are the only royals really doing much any more. William is in his mid-20s, and Beatrice is over 18; I'm surprised they're being allowed to carry on like spoiled rich kids and not show up for royal duties where they're actually doing something on their own account.

Actually although I am a critic, I think that the secret to them not doing royal duties is that they are not on the civil list and so don´t find any need to put themselves out and do what, we must admit are, boring things for young people.
My problem is more with the eldest who has started University but is still out quite often or at least the papers seem to show that she is, there is no doubt that she looks under the weather or terribly tired in the photos they show. Then again they are probably not looking for flattering photos as they won´t sell as well.

Well, with the way the Civil List is at the moment, they'll never be on it. None of the Queen's children draw Civili List income, but they're still doing royal duties, and in Princess Anne's case she's doing a lot of them. The young royals are playing a dangerous game at the moment with this rich-brat image, and I'm surprised that more isn't being done about it. Especially the way the Duchess of York carts those girls around to society events and parties. The royals get more brownie points for hands-on charity work, meeting the workers on the front lines, than for attending flashy fund-raisers.

I figured something like this was going to happen someday (private Facebook pictures going public). Since this friend "Sara" mentioned in the article has pictures of herself and Beatrice on her Facebook, anyone who's friends with Sara (not Beatrice) can see the pictures and sell them to the media, as they obviously did.

Also, though, the article mentions Beatrice's favourite books and movies listed on her Facebook profile. To see Beatrice's page, someone would actually have to be friends with Beatrice (or be part of a network she's joined). So it seems from this information that one of her "friends" betrayed her by spilling details of her Facebook page to the media.
I don't think the pics are that bad - thanks Ice!!! Even princesses need to let their hair down w their friends. As for the photos being "leaked" to the media, you can't trust any website as being totally private. Even if one of her "friends" didn't betray her, there are plenty of capable hackers who can get into almost anything. It's free reign out there, I'm afraid.

As if her aunt Anne had never existed and Beatrice has to invent the whole way of being a benevolent princess all on her own!

I know what you're saying, Jo of P - Pss Anne has come to mind many times. But I will just say that when Pss Anne was a young woman things were alot different than they are now. There was still pretty much the "hands-off the Royals" protocol and there wasn't all this in-your-face technology (the internet, pic phones, etc.) that the young royals have to remember and deal with now. I remember it being a big deal - almost scandalous - when Pss Anne told some reporter to "Naff Off". I think young royals are looking for a way to fit in both royally and socially - in a manner unprecedented by those before them.

Agreed. I think that the current generation of HRHs--William, Harry, Beatrice, and Eugenie--are trying to straddle the Royal world and the "normal" world. Their Windsor aunt and uncles had to make adjustments in their generation as well, but they didn't have quite the media exposure that this generation has. They didn't have racks and racks of celebrity magazines to deal with, paparazzi in the UK, cellphone cameras, etc. etc. They didn't have the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh giving interviews about their family lives or divorced parents. The Wales and York "children" live in an entirely different world and somehow have to find their own way to live balanced, contented lives amongst all the craziness.:flowers:

I think young royals are looking for a way to fit in both royally and socially - in a manner unprecedented by those before them.

They'll probably just go to expensive parties in private then, and some fool with a celphone camera will sell exclusive pics to the rags.

They'll probably just go to expensive parties in private then, and some fool with a celphone camera will sell exclusive pics to the rags.

Quite possible. BTW, are you suggesting that the boys completely abandon their social lives as a mark of solidarity?

BTW, are you suggesting that the girls completely abandon their social lives as a mark of solidarity?

I'm also curious as to why the girls should renounce their titles? Especially on their 21st birthdays when their parents would be forgiven for no longer supporting them and they will never receive a civil list payment? What does this say about the value that the Kents, Gloucesters and Princess Alexandra have been of the RF all these years if people want to cut off the York girls at the knees before they even get a chance to carve out their adulthoods as royals?

I commend everyone here that were such nose to the grindstone 18 and 20 years olds that they never went clubbing. I must have been an embarrassment to my family as I went clubbing all the time as a college student before settling down to my career.

Quite possible. BTW, are you suggesting that the boys completely abandon their social lives as a mark of solidarity?

Not really. :) From the Queen's statement, it looks like she's looking at appearances so the logical thing for the young royals to do is to do their partying in private. I wonder though if that would work. Harry and William's private antics were spilled out in the daily rags by partygoers taking celphone pictures and selling them to the rags.

So the better thing for them to do might be to keep their social life in public where they'll know they're being watched and can act accordingly.

BTW, are you suggesting that the girls completely abandon their social lives as a mark of solidarity?

I'm also curious as to why the girls should renounce their titles? Especially on their 21st birthdays when their parents would be forgiven for no longer supporting them and they will never receive a civil list payment? What does this say about the value that the Kents, Gloucesters and Princess Alexandra have been of the RF all these years if people want to cut off the York girls at the knees before they even get a chance to carve out their adulthoods as royals?

I commend everyone here that were such nose to the grindstone 18 and 20 years olds that they never went clubbing. I must have been an embarrassment to my family as I went clubbing all the time as a college student before settling down to my career.

Not at all. The girls are in an odd position - they are minor royals, and at this stage, are not really expected to contribute much to the firm. However, as they go about their student years, they have the potential to be a huge embarrasment, and that is what I think needs to be focussed on. Being seen out partying 3-4 nights a week at some of the most expensive places in town, and regulary appearing at openings of shops or fashion events, without "balancing" those outings with a certain number of slightly more "serious" pursuits - musueums, charity work..... anything to demonstrate they have a little more substance than that demonstrated by their mother during her royal career.

As regards titles, I just do not believe there is a central role for them in the royal family going forward. The most sensible thing for them would be for them to develop independent careers for themselves, and quite like the Kents and the Gloucesters, do a limited number of public engagements from time to time. With a view to minimising any potential conflicts of interests (and avoiding the likes of the fake sheikh!) they are probably best left to pursure their careers without their titles.

Not really. :) From the Queen's statement, it looks like she's looking at appearances so the logical thing for the young royals to do is to do their partying in private. I wonder though if that would work. Harry and William's private antics were spilled out in the daily rags by partygoers taking celphone pictures and selling them to the rags.

So the better thing for them to do might be to keep their social life in public where they'll know they're being watched and can act accordingly.

I think the key is for he boys to achieve a "balance" between their careers in the forces, their charitable engagements (which need to be clearly focussed) and their private lives. Nobody results the boys enjying the odd sherry every now and then, its just that they are likely to attract adverse press if they are seen stumbling out of nightclubs ever so often (which is quite rare, actually!)

Recession or no recession, their 'social lives' do not show them to be young men or women with too much class or sense. All they seem to do is go drinking and dancing. William and Harry aren't exactly teenagers anymore- it's time they grew up and found an alternate method of entertaining themselves. As for the girls, I know I sound like an old fashioned prude, but I just can't swallow royal princesses hanging out the way they do and the way they dress is just awful and sleazy. Frankly, these are not young people to look up to. They have so much and do so little.

I agree that it certainly looks as if Bea parties entirely too much--and after recalling my own memories of myself at that age, well, I can't point a finger with all my hindsight brilliance, now can I?
However, I was not a young lady with an HRH Princess before my name and consequently I did not have any thing to live up or obligations (other than not getting arrested and embarassing my family). I think that there is nothing wrong with Bea enjoying the social scene that comes with college life--as long as her grades hold up. For someone with dyslexia she doesn't seem to study too much, and having working with young person with dyslexia I do know they need to spend more time on their studies--it just looks like she may not be doing so, what with all the parties, club anniversaries, and uncombed hair flying about. I do think in this difficult economic time that she needs to curtail her nights out and at least appear to be more mindful of others.

I don't think it's unfair to criticize Pss B for her excessive partying. Come on, if she were actually doing something worthwhile - working in some sort of charitable venue, volunteering somehow, even dishing out meals at a soup kitchen - there would be photos and stories about it. But we don't see that 'cuz she's not doing it. She's partying and going to school (I guess) and going shopping and leaving her keys in her car and looking for her lost dog. She'll be 21 this year which in most places is the considered age of maturity. I hope she starts taking on some more mature responsibilities. I don't think anyone wants or expects her not to hit the clubs now and then, but she needs to balance that out w other activities, esp. if she wants to be taken seriously and respected.

I don't know...I still don't really see anything wrong with what Beatrice does. I think she seems immature and doesn't seem to have too much direction in life, but, I mean, dishing out meals at a soup kitchen? I support royals doing charitable causes, but I think ideally they should find something they genuinely care about, or it's just a meaningless photo op to make the royal "look good." I know Prince Charles has been involved in some good causes like architecture, horticulture, sustainable living, but these are things he has a genuine passion for. What's the point in forcing someone to do something they're not that interested in just for the sake of PR? If royals only do charities to boost their image (think Diana here) how is it much better than not doing any charities at all? What does it mean if it doesn't come from the heart but is just a photo op to get some good press?

Sure, I'd like Beatrice to do some worthwhile work in her life, but so much of the criticism of her is just about image. But then, the royal family is kind of a glorified PR firm anyway. But I also think that even if Beatrice were involved in charitable causes and she kept partying on the side, papers like The Daily Mail would only show her at the parties and the nightclubs.

When Beatrice talked about doing a charity fashion show with her school a couple of years ago, it wasnt publicized, no fuss was made about it (the only reason i picked up on it was because she mentioned it for like 2 seconds during that birthday interview she did), nonetheless she did something worthwhile with her time. I think the only reason were focusing on these negatives is because they are only things that are well publicized. Again i repeat, because the only times we see her is when she goes out to parties, does not mean that she parties more than someone of her age should! Maybe she should do more charity work, but then again would she not be critized for abusing her royal image by going the celebrity route? Remember that she is still a student and perhaps when she graduates, she ill take on more responsibility, Then again, due to the modernisation of the Royal Family, she may not be required to do work officially for the Royal family.

Drama? Film studies? Goodness how very difficult. She has been consistently late going to her classes (or so I have read but I Don't believe everything I read,) but is always seemingly on time at her "clubs". I just fail to see why it is going to take a 'couple of years' for her to realize that she is a HRH and Not just a regular girl. She has been brought up her Entire life knowing that she Is Not! I am sorry but I just don't get it.... Evidently neither does she.
I have to agree, she appears to want/expect the trappings of royalty but lives the life of a badly behaved Hooray Henrietta.:flowers:

I have to wonder if the uproar over both Beatrice and Eugenie and some of their activities doesn't have something to do with the cost of their security--I believe for both girls it's around 500,000 pounds per year. I wonder if the people of the UK weren't seeing their tax dollars being used/wasted in this way, that there would be all this disapproval of the girls and what they do. In other words, people of the UK--and I would feel this way too if I lived there--see their hard earned tax dollars going to support 2 girls who for the most part spend their time partying and traveling. I wonder if the girls didn't have this security, would there be this level of disapproval.

Part of the problem, imo, is that these girls are not like everybody else. If they were, who'd care if they lived in a nightclub. I look at it like this, Pss B & E have been born (thus not their fault) into a world of immense priviledge and luxury. Short of the sort of revolutions that saw the demise (and murders) of the Russian and French royal families, these girls are "set for life." They don't have to worry about getting good-paying jobs, they don't have to worry about how they're going to pay their mortgages or if they'll ever go hungry, etc., etc. More-than-likely they won't have to sacrifice anything (except maybe a certain amount of privacy). And to top it off, the British taxpayer - many of whom are struggling at the moment - are footing the bill for this lifestyle (Prince Andrew's pension would in no way cover nearly half of these girls' expenses and he does not have a money-making venture like the Duchy of Cornwall). Once again, I say if the York girls took some of their time and worked, say in a hospital or something, or at least volunteered so many hours a week (yes, in addition to going to university - thousands of other kids their age do it) there probably wouldn't be such a backlash. If they want to enjoy a lifestyle that is so far removed from those in their community, then they need to give something back to the community. Perhaps they should read the biographies on Grandpapa Hilton or Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney or even Bill Gates and learn a bit on enjoying vast wealth yet addressing the needs of others as well. (Hilton and Whitney, born into wealth like the York girls, began their charitable actions at about the age B & E are now, Gates - who earned his own fortune - came into his wealth a bit later in life but was involved w charities early on).

Andrew and the girls are supported by the Queen from the Duchy of Lancaster estate (as well as his pension) and his inheritance from his grandmother. Of course, when he does official duties those expenses are covered by the state - but then again Andrew, in those circumstances, is working for the state.

The taxpayers are paying for the protection these girls get which does cause a lot of people to get angry at the antics of these girls.

They are still being educated so I wonder why they aren't getting the same press protection that was afforded William and Harry at the same stages of their lives. You can't tell me that William didn't get smashed while at St Andrews but it didn't make the front pages but when Bea does her behaviour is published. I think she should be getting the same protection from the press that William got at St Andrews and the same goes for Eugenie.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's about location, isn't it? Had William chosen to go to uni in London, and had he gotten smashed at clubs where paparazzi are known to be, that deal with the media about access surely would have been blown out of the water. It worked because he removed himself from the media spotlight. Bea has chosen to stay in the capital and stay in the spotlight.

Should Eugenie choose to stay in London, I would expect the same for her next year, but if she goes out of the city to study in another part of the country with a smaller population and fewer clubs with photographers buzzing around, I imagine we'll see far less of her antics reported in the press.

Both York girls just Love the publicity and they will always find ways to be in the public eye. I doubt that we will find fewer antics from either one of them. Just imho...

That's an interesting thought, Iluvbertie. I wonder why there wasn't this sort of agreement made for Beatrice and Eugenie? They are as much HM's grandchildren as William and Harry are.:ermm:

I think she should be getting the same protection from the press that William got at St Andrews and the same goes for Eugenie.

There was a formal agreement in place between St James' Palace and the media. Remember the controversy when Edward's company were the ones that broke the agreement.

If the paparazzi had really wanted to go to St Andrews to get the photos they could have done so. It isn't that far from London.

Why isn't there the same agreement in place for these girls is what I want to know?

Right -- that's the media deal I referenced in the post. I think that the only reason that the deal was possible is that William was deliberately moving himself away from London and the locus of all of this spectacle. I don't know why a similar deal wasn't made for Beatrice -- because she's not the heir to the heir, I suppose? -- but I'm not sure that such a deal would work in London anyway. It would be pretty tough to swallow the idea that Bea should be "left alone" and her privacy protected when she's going to places known to be hotbeds for paparazzi.

Both York girls just Love the publicity and they will always find ways to be in the public eye. I doubt that we will find fewer antics from either one of them. Just imho...

That's an interesting thought. Plus: with their ongoing presence in the media they have successfully elevated "Sarah, Duchess of York" back to "The Duchess of York" when it comes to their mother in various articles.

However the deal was made before he decided on a university - Charles did it while both the boys were still at school and it covered the entire time they were being educated. This applied while they were at Eton as well.

Just because the paps are taking photos doesn't mean they have to publish them and if a deal had been made then the photos and stories simply wouldn't be being published.

William and Harry were protected by their mother's death

The circumstances of her death (being chased by the paps) combined with the tender ages of William and Harry made them off limits. If they had been hounded whilst at school there would have been a public backlash.

I also agree that location made a difference. St. Andrews is not as convenient as a London school. They were also buffered by the military while attending Sandhurst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom