The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-20-2016, 02:13 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
1. I never mentioned Harry in that post, you did.

2. Harry is no longer active duty military. He doesn't get a pass for the rest of his life because he served in Afghanistan. He is home, and not in the military and yes he should be doing engagements and work.

While honestly his list of engagements is quite small, he shows far more dedication than others.

Difference between Harry and the girls. Harry gets paid to be a royal. The girls don't. So yes, tax payers get to question what work he does, the girls are private citizens who their father funds (yes through tax money but he works for that)
How does Harry get paid to be royal and by whom? What government funding does Harry receive that should be open to questions from tax payers? And what taxpayer funding does Andrew receive?

Old 01-20-2016, 02:15 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Difference between Harry and the girls. Harry gets paid to be a royal. The girls don't. So yes, tax payers get to question what work he does, the girls are private citizens who their father funds (yes through tax money but he works for that)
Harry is reimbursed, I believe, for expenses that are paid out in relation to official royal engagements (such as I imagine all the expenses relating to his trip to Nepal will be covered). He does not draw a paycheck or a salary just because he is royal. His life is funded through his own money and the support of his father, The Prince of Wales. As far as his trip to Africa, that was a personal endeavor and covered from his own pocket I would think.

Just because we don't "see" Harry out and about performing royal duties it doesn't mean the guy is idle. He's probably got a lot of work going on behind the scenes with the upcoming Invictus games. He has his volunteer work with wounded service personnel and his own charities and patronages to keep up with alongside with working with the Royal Foundation.

Same with Andrew. His expenses are reimbursed or paid for when he does official royal duties on behalf of the Queen. He does not receive a "salary" or a "paycheck" just because he is royal and uses that to float the 2 York princesses. He also has his own private funds and how he uses that is his own business.

The York princess probably also have pretty hefty bank accounts in their own right.

If I'm not mistaken, the only thing the taxpayers really pay for is the cost incurred with security measures. The Queen pays (and reimburses) for official duties through the Sovereign Grant or her private income from the Duchy of Lancaster. Charles supports his immediate family with his income off the interest of the Duchy of Cornwall. No one just gets "paid" for being a royal.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 01-22-2016, 11:42 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
A holiday is time away from work - and weekends don't qualify as they are part of the working time just days when you don't actually go to work.
Outside of education and the public sector I would have assumed it is quite rare for people to only work Monday to Friday these days.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Most of my friends who don't work in education or the public sector but in commerce and law etc also only work 9 - 5 Monday to Friday.

The service industry works shifts but not most of the people I know but even those who work shifts tend to still get two days a week off (my brother's 'weekend' has always been Tuesday and Wednesday so if he went away on those two days it wasn't a 'holiday' but simply his weekend away from home due to not working).
Old 01-22-2016, 06:55 PM
Heir Apparent

I suppose some people in law might only work 9-5, but none that I know. Maybe the administrative and paralegal staff, but not lawyers. If something has to be done, it has to be done. If a conference has to take place after hours, that's what happens.

For people who are self-employed, weekends and public holidays are just times when the phone doesn't ring so, so you can get on with a bit of paperwork without being pestered by other people.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

Every lawyer I know, and I know quite a few, starts at 9 and leaves at 5 along with their staff. None are available after hours or on the weekends - same with every other professional other than doctors I know and as for tradies - try getting them after 3 p.m. or on the weekends (cost where I live is a minimum $125 call out after 3 in the afternoon and $150 on the weekends compared to $75 between 9 and 3.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

Can we please get back on topic? This thread is not about the working hours in various industries nor is it about comparing one member of the Royal Family with another.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Interesting story over Beatrice and Euegine's official royal roles. Something must have worked out. Beatrice and Euegine are more busy on duties this year.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/...-queen-william

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-22-2016, 08:39 PM
Heir Apparent

There isn't anything new here. Charles clearly doesn't want Bea and Eugenie representing the Firm and that's that.

Andrew is either as thick as two short planks or he's just posturing. Either way it's up to Charles and he doesn't show any interest in the Yorks having an official role.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:55 PM
Gentry

Actually its up to the Queen. I think they will be given a chance to show their worth, if the story is true at all, and then it will be decided.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:05 PM
Heir Apparent

It's up to Charles because he will be the one responsible for the Yorks as working royals. It wouldn't make any sense for them to have an official role with the Firm during the Queen's reign only for Charles to nix it when he's king.

I don't know if this story is true but in every version I read the Queen defers to Charles on this and Charles says no.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:10 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
It's up to Charles because he will be the one responsible for the Yorks as working royals. It wouldn't make any sense for them to have an official role with the Firm during the Queen's reign only for Charles to nix it when he's king.

I don't know if this story is true but in every version I read the Queen defers to Charles on this and Charles says no.

I agree it would be Charles who would decide he's the one that will have to "balance the books" going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 10-22-2016, 09:14 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
While I've always known that Andrew is very status conscious as in "I'm the prince", if this story is true and Andrew is complaining about W&K&H overshadowing his daughters, he's been baking out in the sun too long. Just needs a dollop of sour cream and some chives.

I seriously get the feeling that if Charles really does not want the girls as working royals, HM wouldn't go ahead and put them "on the payroll" so to speak and have Charles "fire" them when the time comes.

I'd be very, very surprised if Beatrice and Eugenie ever do become working royals for the "Firm".
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 10-22-2016, 09:28 PM
Heir Apparent

William, Harry and wives would overshadow the Yorks just because of their positions in the family.

Old 10-22-2016, 09:28 PM
Aristocracy

I was wondering when the press would bring that up again, every now and then when the press wants to talk about the York princesses charities/duties or they see them a bit more active in those areas they like to come up with this story, they even added they kate rivalry into the article. That will defiantly perk up some ears for gossip. The press seems to have a pattern with them. Next up will be their 'partying' ways.. probably .. But if true in some way PC and PA seem to have to come to an understanding of sorts as they seem a bit more active, but then again its a special year for their grandmother and they are usually active with their chairities family events, even in unofficial level.

Either way must be a slow news day to bring this up again.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
There isn't anything new here. Charles clearly doesn't want Bea and Eugenie representing the Firm and that's that.

Andrew is either as thick as two short planks or he's just posturing. Either way it's up to Charles and he doesn't show any interest in the Yorks having an official role.
I'm more annoyed that Camilla T. has the gall to call this an 'exclusive'. Like you said it's nothing new and has been reported since the '90s.

I can only imagine the forthcoming articles:

Exclusive by Camilla T. - Prince Philip had nazi brother-in-laws!

Exclusive by Camilla T. - The Queen prefers Windsor Castle over Buckingham Palace!

Exclusive by Camilla T.- Prince Harry is 32 and single!
Old 10-22-2016, 10:22 PM
Royal Highness

Just because we all have heard it before doesn't mean that others have.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Interesting story over Beatrice and Euegine's official royal roles. Something must have worked out. Beatrice and Euegine are more busy on duties this year.

Prince of Wales and brother Andrew clash over princesses' royal duties | Royal | News | Daily Express

Quote:

I am surprised that you both seem to take this nasty piece if work as gospel when there is nothing to support the story at all.

Love him or loath him, Prince Andrew is not stupid or thick as two short planks! He knows his place in the famiy and he can count. Any whiff of credibility was shot with Andrew's supposed assertion that his daughters were being overshadowed by William, Catherine and Harry! Hello!!!

Come on people, use your nous. This is just another swipe at Andrew and his daughters with not one whit of evidence to support anything other than it was a slack news week.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Agreed

Love how they gloss over facts. Like claiming Eugenie has no intentions of a career, and pushing the engagement rumours. Over looking the fact that she had a full time job at an art gallery for over a year, after spending two years working n auctions in New York.

Or the fact that it implies they suddenly started taking up charity work, to try and push their public image. Over looking the fact both girls have been patrons of a handful of charities since they came of age, and with their mom as teens

Should have seen the story coming. They have been getting too much good press. Eugenie with her job article, Beatrice with her photos in Nepal. It was over due for a smear piece to remind people they are lazy worthless socialites.
Old 10-23-2016, 01:46 AM
Courtier

Well the article mixed up which York daughter did what in a few places - that seems to happen fairly often, but why? It's not like they look alike and it shouldn't be that hard to get the correct name attached to an event or a pix.
The story line has legs because it fits certain themes - the jealous younger brother tries to use his position as the Quenn's spoiled favorite child to maneuver better positions for his daughters - the 'true Princesses' over that interloper commoner William married.
Hopefully it's all hogwash as it would be unfortunate if Andrew had led his daughters to expect to be supported by the Crown in the way that he's been. The days of many ancillary family members being supported just because they are Royal are in the past, I think. As long as the York daughters are prudent their trusts along with whatever additional funds Andrew & their grandparents have tucked away for them should enable them to live comfortably. I'm sure they are welcome to live at KP when space becomes available if they choose to, but I expect that they'll need to pay fair market rent like the Prince Michaels currently do.

Tags
career, education, princess beatrice, princess eugenie, royal duties, social life, styles and titles