The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-02-2015, 08:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by janjan View Post
it was an article that stated Andrew wanted his daughters more involved and that Charles wanted a slim down list of members of the firm Bea will go any where especially is the queen is present Bea is the rent a royal right up there with Princess Michael of kent
An article based on anonymous 'sources' and not directly from either Andrew or Charles.

Charles has never publicly made any statement about a smaller royal family. All that ever happened was a comment by a staffer back in 1992 that has taken on a life of its own to the point that it is now taken as gospel when there is actually no evidence to support that comment at all.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:25 PM
Serene Highness

IMO Beatrice and Eugenie may end up performing a little bit similar role to the Kents and Gloucesters now but whilst working as well. I think there will be more focus on Charles, Camilla, Will & Kate, Harry (& maybe a wife?) but that Beatrice and Eugenie may continue to support a small number of carefully chosen charities that are personally close to them whilst continuing to have their own careers/lives. I don't think they will become anything like 'full time' royals but will support a few charities and possibly the very very very odd event supporting/representing Charles or William when they are King.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:37 PM

In a time when royal families are under pressure from the media and those who do not appreciate their effect on the popular culture and their ability to bring revenue to their countries, Pr. Andrew's insistence on pushing his daughters to the fore shows little to no wisdom on his part for the future of Royal England. When stories get out such as the one from Ascot Ladies Day, it doesn't help the Queen, it doesn't help Andrew and it doesn't help Beatrice. Beatrice needs to get a really good job and work the way the lesser members of other royal families do.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshepard7 View Post
In a time when royal families are under pressure from the media and those who do not appreciate their effect on the popular culture and their ability to bring revenue to their countries, Pr. Andrew's insistence on pushing his daughters to the fore shows little to no wisdom on his part for the future of Royal England. When stories get out such as the one from Ascot Ladies Day, it doesn't help the Queen, it doesn't help Andrew and it doesn't help Beatrice. Beatrice needs to get a really good job and work the way the lesser members of other royal families do.
I broadly agree with you, B&E need to work independent of the BRF.

What was the story from Ascot Ladies Day?
Old 06-22-2015, 03:12 PM

In the Daily Mail's Girl About Town column by Charlotte Griffiths on the 20th.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshepard7 View Post
In the Daily Mail's Girl About Town column by Charlotte Griffiths on the 20th.
I would pay no heed to that article in the Mail. Its absolute drivel, IMO. How would they know what may or may not have happened? Just an attempt to fill the papers
Old 06-22-2015, 04:52 PM
Nobility

To me if a child or grandchild of the monarch wants to take on royal duties then I think they should be allowed to be working members of The Firm. It's not like there is a high birth rate in the British Royal Family, and the UK is a big country and when you add in the Commonwealth then you are dealing with an even bigger entity.

I think that working royals should have accountability to make sure that they actually work and properly represent the monarch, but if the allegations are true about Charles only wanting the monarch's/heir's direct line to be working royals, I don't get why he feels the need to limit the pool to such small group especially when someone from that group may decide they don't want to be a working royal or wants to delay becoming a working royal.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

I would rather see the grandchild of the monarch take on roles and responsibilities than the monarch's cousins. Don't misunderstand me, they have served well for the Queen, but they are past retirement age and could make room for someone younger who seems to be keen.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
An article based on anonymous 'sources' and not directly from either Andrew or Charles.

Charles has never publicly made any statement about a smaller royal family. All that ever happened was a comment by a staffer back in 1992 that has taken on a life of its own to the point that it is now taken as gospel when there is actually no evidence to support that comment at all.
That may be so, but I have to say, it sounds like something Charles would do.

I could easily see him deciding that his own family was sufficient and there was no need for any others.
(Besides, it's been long-rumored that Charles and Andrew don't get along all that well).
Old 06-22-2015, 05:20 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Although it does sound like a bright idea to have lotsa lotsa royals out there up front and personal with the public, its been reported in several threads around the forums here that the one major drawback to that idea would be the cost. Other than Charles, Camilla, William, Kate and Harry who are funded by the Duchy of Cornwall, HM, The Queen picks up the tab for all other working royals. This, I believe, covers any of their expenses and also pays for the protection officers and transportation.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-22-2015, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crm2317 View Post
I would rather see the grandchild of the monarch take on roles and responsibilities than the monarch's cousins. Don't misunderstand me, they have served well for the Queen, but they are past retirement age and could make room for someone younger who seems to be keen.
But don't forget the cousins are also grandchildren of a monarch....George V. And the "cousins" have dedicated their lives to their monarch, often to the detriment of their own careers (Edward/army, Richard/Architecture, Alexandra/Nursing). Alexandra has already slowed down, and Edward and Richard will do the same when they are ready.

To retire them when they are not ready, is not a nice way to say thank you for your years of service IMO.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
But don't forget the cousins are also grandchildren of a monarch....George V. And the "cousins" have dedicated their lives to their monarch, often to the detriment of their own careers (Edward/army, Richard/Architecture, Alexandra/Nursing). Alexandra has already slowed down, and Edward and Richard will do the same when they are ready.

To retire them when they are not ready, is not a nice way to say thank you for your years of service IMO.

I agree with you, I have nothing but admiration for their dedication! I just feel there is 'wiggle room'. Could Beatrice not take a couple from each to begin her royal career, like a wind down for them and a start for her?
Old 06-22-2015, 05:35 PM
Nobility

I don't think that the older ones have to be put out to pasture to make room for the younger ones. As I mentioned earlier, the UK is a big country, there are undoubtedly charities that would like a royal patron and entities celebrating major anniversaries or milestones that would love a royal to show up and unveil a plaque.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Beatrice is already a patron of a number of patronages. She also undertakes 'engagements' for those patronages. Those engagements aren't recorded in the CC and so they aren't official. She does something and no credit given by HM while Kate does the same thing and HM gives her credit in the CC (HM decides what is and what isn't an official engagement and for whom and we saw in 2012 the scenario where Kate presented medals at the Paralympics and that was an engagement for her but when Eugenie did the same thing the next day it wasn't an engagement for Eugenie - HM's decision).

Same thing with Ascot - we all saw many members of the royal family attend but only HM and the DoE will get credit for attending in the CC.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:01 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm not certain it really is HM's decision.
It's been said that the Queen mostly defers to Charles these days, and his wishes are paramount.
It makes sense; this will make for an easier transition.
But if it's true the Queen has decided to go this route, I can't see her going behind his back to undermine his authority.

(Still... I don't see why he can't make use of Beatrice, at least. Eugenie has her own career, but Beatrice seems to want to join the Firm. So why not? I've read that many, many organizations would like a royal patron but can't get one; patrons are not easy to get. So why not make use of her? Face it, she is not going to get some job in finance! She doesn't seem to want to do anything but royal engagements, so instead of letting her degenerate into a party girl, why not make use of her? I think she'd be good at it, and she doesn't seem to have any interest in anything else).
Old 06-22-2015, 10:14 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I think she'd be good at it, and she doesn't seem to have any interest in anything else).
It's almost like she was born to do it! Wait; she was. When she was a child, there was total expectation that all the Royal princes and princesses would one day work for the firm, or at least most of them. Things have changed. I believe those who want to work for the firm should. Pcs Eugenie seems perfectly happy (and good) with a career, and i agree with those who think Pcs B would like to go the Royal route.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
It's been said that the Queen mostly defers to Charles these days, and his wishes are paramount.
But if it's true the Queen has decided to go this route, I can't see her going behind his back to undermine his authority.

HM signs the CC each day. That is why it is her decision. She can put in anything or leave out anything she wants. Charles isn't there when she signs it.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

I suppose the Queen has her reasons - doesn't mean she's right, as she is human. I too think Beatrice would be a tremendous asset to the Firm, and it seems to be her calling in life.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:52 AM
Royal Highness

I really can't see the a Queen or Charles making these decisions I'm sure it's a lot more involved than that. A lot of people would have input into the way the family will function going forward. Of course the Queen can have final say but would take advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post

(Still... I don't see why he can't make use of Beatrice, at least. Eugenie has her own career, but Beatrice seems to want to join the Firm. So why not? I've read that many, many organizations would like a royal patron but can't get one; patrons are not easy to get. So why not make use of her? Face it, she is not going to get some job in finance! She doesn't seem to want to do anything but royal engagements, so instead of letting her degenerate into a party girl, why not make use of her? I think she'd be good at it, and she doesn't seem to have any interest in anything else).

Because she can't or won't get a job doesn't mean she should be a full time royal. As others have pointed out it's about money as much as anything
Old 06-23-2015, 01:12 AM
Courtier

The Queen is the head of the firm she may take advice but in the end it's her decision and she will listen to Charles because he is going to take over for it to be a smoother change over I can see her allowing Charles more say and taking on what he wishes his reign as Monarch will be. Of course they listen to others but I don't think Beatrice or Eugenie have much support aside from their father. By now if it was going to happen it would off already happened. It's in the courtiers best interest to cut down who get's paid by the Monarch not add to the list and I think money could have something to do with this decision. The Staff at the palaces are underpaid as it is people are losing jobs etc it wouldn't look good to add someone else to the payroll. There was a story only the other day that Andrew got upset with where Beatrice would be sitting in the carriage at Ascot and basically threw a tanty to move her next to him in the Queens carriage. How true that is I don't know. But Andrew has always said he wants the girls to have a role in the firm it's just not going to happen.

Tags
career, education, princess beatrice, princess eugenie, royal duties, social life, styles and titles