The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-23-2014, 03:54 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Anyone can take a week out of work to attend royal ascot, if I could afford to go down there for the 5 days I would. it's not every year they attend everyday, evidently both girls have taken either holiday or time off to spend at Ascot with their family.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:13 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
I am still completely baffled as to why the Cambridges are not yet full time royals.

However, whey they, plus Harry go full time, they alone should be able to pick up the work not done by HM, Philip, and the Queen's cousins. I still see no need for the York girls to do any more than they currently are.

Some statistical analysis:

Currently HM, Philip and the Queen's cousins have carried out 720 engagements so far this year in total.

For William, Kate and Harry (assuming he leaves the army) to take up those engagements - on top of the ones they already are doing (William is already at 80) they would have to have done 270 each by now PLUS what they have already done - so for William that would be 350, Kate 333 and Harry 300.

Charles is currently topping my count at 270 and Anne at 249. So they would have to do considerably more than anyone is doing now.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Some statistical analysis:

Currently HM, Philip and the Queen's cousins have carried out 720 engagements so far this year in total.

For William, Kate and Harry (assuming he leaves the army) to take up those engagements - on top of the ones they already are doing (William is already at 80) they would have to have done 270 each by now PLUS what they have already done - so for William that would be 350, Kate 333 and Harry 300.

Charles is currently topping my count at 270 and Anne at 249. So they would have to do considerably more than anyone is doing now.
We have to remember also that, like Beatrice and Eugenie, the work the Cambridges and Harry do for their own charities and patronages, for the most part, are not listed in the CC as "official" royal duties representing HM. I'm sure Iluvbertie can be more specific on this than I.

So when it is stated that Beatrice and Eugenie, William, Kate and Harry either do not work as full time royals or are just part time royals, that is indicating they do not do "official" full time work for the Firm.

At least that's how I see it.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:58 AM
Majesty

Most of William, Kate and Harry's activities for their charities are in the CC but none of Beatrice or Eugenie's e.g. last week's engagements by Beatrice counted the grand total of zero in the CC.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

I honestly believe that if Andrew and especially Fergie had been more popular, there would be no resistance to Eugenie and Beatrice becoming full-time working royals.

It's unfair, but they are associated with their parents in many people's minds.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

If I was their advisor, I would say: go, accompany your grandmother and enjoy a day on Ascot.

Going day after day is giving the complete wrong signals and the poisonous, vitriolic and slashing comments in the online media seem to back my impression.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:34 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
If I was their advisor, I would say: go, accompany your grandmother and enjoy a day on Ascot.

Going day after day is giving the complete wrong signals and the poisonous, vitriolic and slashing comments in the online media seem to back my impression.

:ermm:
Yes exactly. They need to be better advised.
IMO their daily appearances at Ascot is not like taking a week off work to attend something you care passionately about. They have significant "downtime". - No problem with that - they are very lucky. BUT they are very much seen as just participating in the "nice" social engagements - it may not be entirely the correct perception, but that's how it appears.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:59 PM
Gentry

^
@ Elly C
well if it makes any difference Bea did show her support for education during Ascot week. She visited two academies and she did visit Isle of Wight the day before Ascot

As for the future roles of the york girls the future remains unseen , nothing seems certain . They obviously have to have a flexible "job" in oder to fulfill their small duties officially and unofficially. To me from the way they act about their duties and charities, they don't really care if they are listed in the CC, they do their charity work and their duty because they want to. At times they do seemed to be promised a lil something though from the royal firm as for a big role or a small role we'll just have to wait and see. Thats just the impression I get.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:35 AM
Nobility

I've never really been a fan of the York princesses but I have to admit they are doing an excellent job of leading largely private lives with the occasional royal event thrown in. They are following Zara's example.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

All posts regarding Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie’s titles and the titles of their future spouses have been moved to the 'Questions about British Styles and Titles’ thread.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:28 PM
Aristocracy

Given Princess Beatrice's love of travelling (and I don't mean that critically), I wonder why she hasn't gone into PR for a large worldwide brand like a fashion house, jewellery company or airline (like Virgina Atlantic). Lady Helen Taylor was with Armani for 17 years and also worked for Bulgari and never received any criticism for that work and did it very successfully and stylishly.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:11 PM
Serene Highness

I don't mean to be unkind, because I think Beatrice seems like quite a nice person. She has had a plethora of employment opportunities, but nothing permanent has developed. Maybe she's just not a very good employee. The employment market is generally very tight, especially for interesting, 'classy', non-professional jobs. There are plenty of well-qualified people to fill those jobs.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-23-2015, 07:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
I don't mean to be unkind, because I think Beatrice seems like quite a nice person. She has had a plethora of employment opportunities, but nothing permanent has developed. Maybe she's just not a very good employee.

Good point; It's possible she gets bored. A full-time job, with limited vacation time, is bound to have its dull moments, and perhaps Beatrice isn't prepared to accept that.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Good point; It's possible she gets bored. A full-time job, with limited vacation time, is bound to have its dull moments, and perhaps Beatrice isn't prepared to accept that.
If she isn't prepared to accept that there are bound to be some things about having a job that she isn't going to like, she should admit it and do something with her life that is within the range of activities and constraints that she is prepared to accept. At the moment she is giving the impression that what she wants to do is spend the whole year holidaying and dabbling in high-profile charity work. If that's what she wants to do, and she finds a way to afford it, she should at least admit it and not pretend that she wants to work full time.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
I don't mean to be unkind, because I think Beatrice seems like quite a nice person. She has had a plethora of employment opportunities, but nothing permanent has developed. Maybe she's just not a very good employee. The employment market is generally very tight, especially for interesting, 'classy', non-professional jobs. There are plenty of well-qualified people to fill those jobs.
Or perhaps her form of dyslexia is limiting her options. She may be able to cope with paced learning (hence her degree) but can't manage immediacy. I don't know enough about it but the media don't ever mention this.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-23-2015, 07:48 PM
Courtier

Or the taking orders and having deadlines and possibly being talked harshly to by anyone other than teachers and parents is not to her liking. Not trying to be mean but that has to be considered.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Personally, I think she's biding her time until she can settle down and concentrate on marriage and family.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:02 PM
Courtier

Yep, she does not ever and will not ever have to worry about money. How many of us can say we would put our nose to the grindstone everyday with no real reason?
Old 04-23-2015, 08:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Or perhaps her form of dyslexia is limiting her options. She may be able to cope with paced learning (hence her degree) but can't manage immediacy. I don't know enough about it but the media don't ever mention this.
You might be onto something here, but if this is so she is not being well served by whoever it is who is putting out the spin that she has been working full time (Andrew's website) and/or that she is after a job in the finance sector. Notwithstanding her dyslexia, she managed to get a degree so she is capable of learning and applying herself to tasks and meeting deadlines and there must be some way she can put the skills she has acquired to good use for the benefit of her charities or some other worthy cause. I don't really think she only wants to pfaff around the place holidaying, but that's the impression she's giving at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
Yep, she does not ever and will not ever have to worry about money. How many of us can say we would put our nose to the grindstone everyday with no real reason?
Hell, I wouldn't! But I'm not an HRH and a Princess. If she can afford to, she doesn't have to work 9 - 5 in a boring office job somewhere, but she is bound by the expectations that apply to those of her rank, and noblesse oblige dictates that she should do something useful for the benefit of others.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:49 PM
Heir Apparent

She does work for her charities and I read that she has an engagement soon for one of them.

I agree that perhaps Andrew's team have done her a misservice in their response to UK media.

Can I just add something about the UK and holidays. When I worked, if I had a weekend away I didn't consider it a holiday. I already had the weekend off, I just went somewhere other than home. I don't think I'm alone in this.

I have never had less than 3 weeks paid leave plus 8 bank holidays - that's 23 days (excluding weekends). At the end of my career as an employee, I had 38 days. When I worked for myself, I had as much time as I wanted and still didn't count weekends away as holidays.

The UK press know all this. Most of what we read is mischief making. She (and her advisers) are not helping themselves but she strikes me as someone who is unsure of herself, and is not intrinsically lazy.

I really disapprove of these attacks by the UK tabloids. I'd be happier if they could put some effort in reporting the work of the BRF - Kents, Glos, Wessexes and Princess Royal - none of these get the coverage they deserve.
But papers love the negative!

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,

Tags
career, education, princess beatrice, princess eugenie, royal duties, social life, styles and titles