The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-18-2014, 05:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
As it has been stated and emphasised numerous times, Prince and Princess Michael of Kent do not and will not undertake engagements on behalf of the royal family. It would be nice to streamline the family. Prince Charles, his current spouse, and his children can step up the effort.

Actually, Prince and Princess Michael do undertake engagements on behalf of the Queen, just very, very few. So far this year, the Prince has done 5, while the Princess has done 4 (according to iluvbertie's count of the CC). If they get recognition in the CC then it counts as an engagement on behalf of the Queen.

Old 06-18-2014, 05:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post

I wonder also if there will be more of this in the future. I noticed that Sarah accompanied Andrew to will.i.am's L.A. two months ago, which Andrew was visiting for his iDEA program. Most of his work related to iDEA is listed on the Court Circular, but not this event. Yet it was publicized all over his website, Facebook account, and Twitter. So what really is the difference between an 'official' and 'unofficial' royal event...could someone enlighten me?

An official engagement is undertaken on behalf of the Queen or representing the Queen and as such receives official recognition in the CC. Unofficial engagements are not on behalf of the Queen and do not receive CC recognition.

Andrew may not have received recognition in the CC because he was in LA and not there on an official visit. That would be my theory; you can't really represent a foreign monarch if you're not in a country on behalf of that monarch.

I think with Beatrice and Eugenie two things are happening. One is that they're not getting recognition for some engagements because they're "fun" engagements as opposed to more strictly charity types. While others might get recognition for these types of engagements, it is with the expectation that it's not all they do. Not to say that this is all they do, just that it's what they're most noticed for (it would be like if every event William was seen at was a polo game or movie premier).

The other is that if they get official recognition for more of the work that they do, regardless of the nature of it, they risk out shining the Cambridges and Harry. Regardless of where you stand on whether or not these three should be doing more, it wouldn't look good if their numbers were being matched or surpassed by the Yorks. The main line needs to be seen as doing more official work than side branches.

Old 06-18-2014, 05:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighnessN View Post
It's clear that the palace seems to have a bit of a dilemma coming up with roles for the Queen's titled grandchildren (I excluded Zara & Peter because their lack of titles and the way they live their lives makes it clear that they will not become full time royals, they may support the Queen here & there)
William, Harry, Beatrice & Eugenie are just trying to fit in without stepping on any toes.

Peter and Zara, regardless of how they live their lives, are not going to become working royals simply because they are not royals. They hold no royal titles, nor are they eligible to hold titles (in contrast to Louise and James, who are eligible to hold but do not hold royal titles).
Old 06-18-2014, 06:12 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
I think with Beatrice and Eugenie two things are happening. One is that they're not getting recognition for some engagements because they're "fun" engagements as opposed to more strictly charity types. While others might get recognition for these types of engagements, it is with the expectation that it's not all they do. Not to say that this is all they do, just that it's what they're most noticed for (it would be like if every event William was seen at was a polo game or movie premier).

The other is that if they get official recognition for more of the work that they do, regardless of the nature of it, they risk out shining the Cambridges and Harry. Regardless of where you stand on whether or not these three should be doing more, it wouldn't look good if their numbers were being matched or surpassed by the Yorks. The main line needs to be seen as doing more official work than side branches.
I understand that they might not be representing the Queen at movie premieres and fun events, but Princess Beatrice's recent engagements have all been fairly serious ones, along the lines of what other royals do...visiting schools and unveiling plaques.

I also understand that of course, for public appearances, William, Kate and Harry should be doing the most engagements, but if they're not doing a lot of engagements, why should Beatrice be kept back? If anything, Beatrice getting involved should spur William and Harry to do more, not the other way around.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:19 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Actually, Prince and Princess Michael do undertake engagements on behalf of the Queen, just very, very few. So far this year, the Prince has done 5, while the Princess has done 4 (according to iluvbertie's count of the CC). If they get recognition in the CC then it counts as an engagement on behalf of the Queen.
It is kind of you to let me know about the official engagements Prince and Princess Michael undertook. At the same time, TRF members pointed out time and again in the Prince and Princess Michael thread that the couple are members of the extended family, who do not do any engagements on behalf of the royal family.
As stated earlier in this thread, I strongly believe that Prince Andrew's daughters should be prepared to be the members of the extended family and carve a career without royal duties.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
One thing that strikes me is that both Beatrice and Eugenie go about doing their charities and patronages and engagements happily whether or not they are "officially" representing the Queen or make the CC.

They have no ulterior motive (such as being a full time working royal for the Firm) nor do they do it for the press attention and the spotlight on them for personal glory and recognition.

To me, this speaks volumes as to the character of these two young women.
Well said!

They are two charming young women who always look happy to be doing what they're doing. I think they are a valuable resource to the RF and have been under-utilised so far. Perhaps that is about to change.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:40 PM
Serene Highness

I just saw this article about Princess Beatrice's visit to the Isle of Wight. She met young entrepreneurs, so maybe she is following in her father's footsteps in promoting entrepreneurship?

I totally agree that Beatrice is an under-used royal asset. Her fashion sense is debatable, but she seems to have great people skills and be very willing to please.

Young Isle of Wight entrepreneurs meet HRH Princess Beatrice
Old 06-18-2014, 09:19 PM
Aristocracy

Interesting convo going on about Princess beatrice duties and future role going on at twitter
https://twitter.com/WindsorEditor/st...96754836197377
Old 06-18-2014, 09:23 PM
Aristocracy

https://twitter.com/WindsorEditor/st...10521498624000
Old 06-18-2014, 09:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
It is kind of you to let me know about the official engagements Prince and Princess Michael undertook. At the same time, TRF members pointed out time and again in the Prince and Princess Michael thread that the couple are members of the extended family, who do not do any engagements on behalf of the royal family.
As stated earlier in this thread, I strongly believe that Prince Andrew's daughters should be prepared to be the members of the extended family and carve a career without royal duties.
Prince and Princess Michael don't do engagements on their own though - they attend events with other royals but not solo - which is the same, currently at any rate, for Beatrice and Eugenie who when they do things solo don't get a mention in the CC e.g. in 2012 Eugenie presented medals at the Paralympics - no mention in the CC but when Kate did the same thing she was mentioned.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:02 AM
Majesty

It is impossible for me to determine what kind of engagements Prince and Princess Michael undertook at this point. Discussing the couple's engagements/appearances would be off-topic.
Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie should find sinecures and make some symbolic public appearances like rich housewives usually do. Prince Charles, his current wife, and his sons and daughters-in-law should carry all the engagements. That is all.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:25 AM
Heir Apparent

I think that limiting engagements to Prince Charles and his immediate family has the potential to disappoint a lot of people and disadvantage a number of charities. The current monarch has four children and their various and varying spouses whereas Charles only has two children and thus the potential for a maximum of two spouses at any one time. I think Beatrice and Eugenie are a resource that should not be wasted. They could do a lot of the fete-opening and sports-trophy-handing-out type of events and that provide an important Royal contact for a lot of people.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:24 AM
Majesty

It seems to me that Beatrice and Eugenie for that matter, support causes close to their hearts. That the should also tag team with their Dad's pet project is no surprise. As mentioned, both of these girls go about their business with grace and happiness and are very popular.

For some reason Beatrice and Eugenie really get the snarky treatment, even here on this thread, be it about whether or not they work (none of our business) and of course there is endless bile about their fashion which, to be honest, is totally unfair.

As to their being considered surplus to royal requirements by their Uncle Charles as per the great "Slimming Down the Monarchy" debate, well we finally have had some sort of verification that someone close to Prince Charles "inimated" to someone in the media that it "might" happen around 18 - 20 years ago!

Don't know about anybody else but my world has moved and changed a lot over the last 20 years. Mostly in ways I could never have imagined or planned for. Technology has changed the way we work, the way we communicate, the way we go about the business of living.

Surely the same is true of the BRF. 20 years ago Britannia still ruled the waves, now it's a tourist attraction. Whoever would have imagined that 20 years ago! William, Harry, Beatrice and Eugenie were still children, their parents still married. 20 years ago who would have imagined the shape of the BRF as it is today. Would they have imagined separations, divorce, even death? Would they have imagined both Prince Philip and Queen Elizabeth not only alive but still kicking.

The point is that decisions and aspirations for the future have to remain flexible because who knows what tomorrow will bring. Nothing is graven in stone. Least of all the futures of the youngest generation of the BRF.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:44 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Don't know about anybody else but my world has moved and changed a lot over the last 20 years. Mostly in ways I could never have imagined or planned for. Technology has changed the way we work, the way we communicate, the way we go about the business of living.
Excellent post Marg! It also occurred to me that 20 years ago it was still a teenager's perogative to tie up the telephone. Now it would be almost impossible to find a teenager without a cell phone glued to their ear or their fingers frantically texting on one.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-22-2014, 09:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think the appearance of both princesses on each race day at Ascot does anything to enhance the idea that they are busy people. I find it incredulous that they can both be so enamoured with horse racing.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:21 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
I don't think the appearance of both princesses on each race day at Ascot does anything to enhance the idea that they are busy people. I find it incredulous that they can both be so enamoured with horse racing.

I don't see how it's hard to believe considering the family. Also Beatrice was "busy" during this very royal month of June, and Eugenie has obviously come back from NY in this royal month of June to see her family and participate in certain events.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:37 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
Perhaps they're not that enamored of horse racing. Ascot is far more than attending horse races. Its one of the pure British traditions that has been going on for many many years and is part of the royal family's tradition for years. The DoE also attended every day with the Queen and its been stated quite a few times that he is not that into horse racing either.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-22-2014, 03:12 PM
Nobility

I am still completely baffled as to why the Cambridges are not yet full time royals.

However, whey they, plus Harry go full time, they alone should be able to pick up the work not done by HM, Philip, and the Queen's cousins. I still see no need for the York girls to do any more than they currently are.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:33 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
I am still completely baffled as to why the Cambridges are not yet full time royals.

However, whey they, plus Harry go full time, they alone should be able to pick up the work not done by HM, Philip, and the Queen's cousins. I still see no need for the York girls to do any more than they currently are.
They are not full time working royals yet because the Queen deems it not to be necessary at this time. Simple.
― John Lennon
Old 06-23-2014, 04:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Perhaps they're not that enamored of horse racing. Ascot is far more than attending horse races. Its one of the pure British traditions that has been going on for many many years and is part of the royal family's tradition for years. The DoE also attended every day with the Queen and its been stated quite a few times that he is not that into horse racing either.

Yes I'm sure you're right but most of the royal family attend for a couple of days, (the Queen & the Duke are the obvious excepton) I'm not making a personal attack on these two young women, I'm suggesting that it indicates they appear to have very few duties and commitments if they can take a whole week out to attend Ascot everyday.

Tags
career, education, princess beatrice, princess eugenie, royal duties, social life, styles and titles