The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-19-2013, 07:14 PM
Serene Highness

The balcony appearance after the Diamond Jubilee serviceof thanksgiving should tell us all we need to know about the future of the monarchy. Charles and his family were the only ones who accompanied the Queen on the balcony that day. I am sure that Her Majesty's other children and grandchildren would have been delighted to have been there but they were not there because a very clear message was being sent about the future. It didn't escape me whilst watching at the time nor any royal reporter who commented on it afterwards.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:17 PM
Majesty

The balcony appearance was a recreation of what Queen Victoria did and nothing more - Victoria had her son, his wife, their children and spouses and some of their grandchildren.

To say it was more is to underestimate the importance to QEII to acknowledge that she is only the second monarch to reach a Diamond Jubilee and so she recreated the balcony from her great-great-grandmother.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The balcony appearance was a recreation of what Queen Victoria did and nothing more - Victoria had her son, his wife, their children and spouses and some of their grandchildren.

To say it was more is to underestimate the importance to QEII to acknowledge that she is only the second monarch to reach a Diamond Jubilee and so she recreated the balcony from her great-great-grandmother.
That is interesting, but it would also be true that HMQ knew the interpretation that the media and most other people would give; and if she didn't then she certainly knew the day after. I cannot recall any UK paper interpreting as you have. I prefer your viewpoint.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 10-19-2013, 09:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Article on the "rise" of Beatrice in the Sunday Express

EXCLUSIVE: Princess Beatrice rises up ranks of Royals | Royal | News | Daily Express

Old 10-19-2013, 10:14 PM
Majesty

I think we all know who are the major players of the royal family. Beatrice would be a great addition to the working "Firm" if that's the plan but the major players are the Prince of Wales & Duchess of Cornwall. The Cambridge's and Prince Harry. Of course The Queen and Prince Philip leading the way.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 10-19-2013, 10:57 PM
Royal Highness

Even without reading the article on the rise of Beatrice, I think people do enjoy seeing her out and about, esp. with her grandmother. If she has an affinity, why not use her, at least part time?

The fact is, we don't know when/if Harry will marry (gasp!) no matter what we assume, we don't know how many maternity leaves Kate and/or Harry's future wife will have - and perhaps simultaneous ones. We don't know how many broken legs and appendectomies will take the main line out of circulation - we don't know how long the senior royals will enjoy good health. Seems that Beatrice is necessary, even in a part-time capacity and perhaps even full time.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:05 PM
Gentry

At the end of the day, Beatrice is a blood princess (one of the few), high up in the line of succession, the first female in the line of succession and has a high profile. Even Charles can't deny that.

Beatrice will continue to add patronages to her roster and be more prominent in the royal ranks. It's her birth right. It's just happening at a slower pace because she is still quite young. After all, the Duchess of Cambridge doesn't so much herself. Full-time royal? What does that even mean now for a modern day princess? I suspect Beatrice will be the one to tell us and pave the way for future princesses in her position. She will no doubt fill a role suitable for her position.

And let's be real, she is the granddaughter of the Queen. She was born royal, will always be royal and that's just the reality.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:52 AM
Heir Apparent

I think the thing that a lot of people overlook is that the Queen's (female) grandchildren have been her willing handmaidens since they were young. The official introduction is the Annual After Church walkabout.

Zara, Beatrice and Eugenie all reached an age where they went from "children" with their parents to being one of the gathers of flowers for "Granny" and, as they have grown, now talk to those in the crowd that aren't close enough to speak to HM .

This year saw them fluttering around like mother hens over Lady Louise as she made the transition from walking with her parents holding hands to making her debut as one of "Granny's Girls". It was quite charming to watch.

In fact, you often see the girls work as ad hoc Ladies in Waiting for Granny at any gathering where the family is out in force. You know . . . church . . . the races . . .

None of these things is special except to them and as to Charles the Mean and Nasty? One of my favourite photos is of Zara, wearing a fabulous outfit and hat planting herself on Uncle Charles knees at the Races. He looked both stunned and totally bemused by her hat.

I think there is quite a bit of affection within the family and I think they see far more of each other than we tend to think.

Beatrice is of an age where she can indulge a passion for charity if she so wishes. She has been very careful about those causes she has agreed to become patron of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of York Website
Princess Beatrice is Patron of the York Musical Society, the York Theatre Royal, The Sick Kids Friends Foundation, Forget Me Not Children's Hospice and Broomwood African Education Foundation, and is Ambassador to Teenage Cancer Trust. HRH is dyslexic and as such is interested in charities involved with dyslexia and learning difficulties. Princess Beatrice is Patron of the Helen Arkell Dyslexia Centre
I don't believe anyone has an agenda here except the paparazzi who seem to spend an inordinate amount of time dragging the York family through the mud in a sickly display of bullying, and the gullible Mail readers who believe in Machiavellian Palace Plots!
Old 10-20-2013, 08:33 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAPolitics View Post
At the end of the day, Beatrice is a blood princess (one of the few), high up in the line of succession, the first female in the line of succession and has a high profile. Even Charles can't deny that.

Beatrice will continue to add patronages to her roster and be more prominent in the royal ranks. It's her birth right. It's just happening at a slower pace because she is still quite young. After all, the Duchess of Cambridge doesn't so much herself. Full-time royal? What does that even mean now for a modern day princess? I suspect Beatrice will be the one to tell us and pave the way for future princesses in her position. She will no doubt fill a role suitable for her position.

And let's be real, she is the granddaughter of the Queen. She was born royal, will always be royal and that's just the reality.
A voice of reason ... amen!
Old 10-20-2013, 09:07 AM
Aristocracy

The sibling dynamic between Andrew and Charles must be very interesting if he doesn't want him and his family being working royals. Maybe the queen doesn't mind Beatrice doing that, but, when she passes Charles may not be fond of having Beatrice being a full time working royal....a lot of arguments you have is that she is a blood royal...but Charles may not care that she is...If Charles wants a slimmed down monarchy when he is king...he probably will make that happen.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:32 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by iisuzieii View Post
The sibling dynamic between Andrew and Charles must be very interesting if he doesn't want him and his family being working royals. Maybe the queen doesn't mind Beatrice doing that, but, when she passes Charles may not be fond of having Beatrice being a full time working royal....a lot of arguments you have is that she is a blood royal...but Charles may not care that she is...If Charles wants a slimmed down monarchy when he is king...he probably will make that happen.
This is true. After all, it has been dully noted that Andrew is the Queen's favorite child to spend time with. But what's also true is that by the time Charles succeeds to the throne, Beatrice will have already made a name for herself as a royal. He may not have much of a choice but to keep her around.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
This is true. After all, it has been dully noted that Andrew is the Queen's favorite child to spend time with. But what's also true is that by the time Charles succeeds to the throne, Beatrice will have already made a name for herself as a royal. He may not have much of a choice but to keep her around.

Agreed; Charles won't want to give the media the opportunity to paint him as a villain who is shutting out his nieces.
That's why I said the Yorks intend to present him with a fait accompli as Beatrice lines up more and more patronages and attends more and more events.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:11 PM
Heir Apparent

And once again your conclusions are predicated on the nameless, unsupported and totally unproven wittering of nobody knows who. And, of course, the alleged skulduggery and machinations of Charles the Mean and Nasty.

A few actual facts would be nice.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:

I agree. Isn't it also highly likely that she will be a counsellor of state for at least some period of time? If the Queen passes before George is 21, then Beatrice will serve until he is 21. The Queen is 87, George is 3 months old. It is also possible that Charles could die before a second child of William's (or Harry's) is 21. If that occurs, she would actually be the 3rd in line over the age of 21 for some period of time. I don't think that makes her a "minor royal". Like many before her, she probably will lose her precedence over time. That has not happened yet and right now she is still pretty important to the BRF.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsmom View Post
I agree. Isn't it also highly likely that she will be a counsellor of state for at least some period of time? If the Queen passes before George is 21, then Beatrice will serve until he is 21. The Queen is 87, George is 3 months old. It is also possible that Charles could die before a second child of William's (or Harry's) is 21. If that occurs, she would actually be the 3rd in line over the age of 21 for some period of time. I don't think that makes her a "minor royal". Like many before her, she probably will lose her precedence over time. That has not happened yet and right now she is still pretty important to the BRF.
I just don't see evidence that she is being made a full time working royal with the thought that someone else will or will not die any time soon. I think (god forbid) deaths and ascensions will force clarification of the issue. I just have always thought that the family learned a long time ago that the public will only put up with working royals being supported financially by the queen. And the public will still watch every penny and grouse about every expenditure.

For the BRF, right-sizing is the order of our times.

"They are pretty, they are shiny, and they are more fun to look at than the shame that lives inside us all". John Stewart, The Daily Show
Old 10-21-2013, 10:08 AM
Serene Highness

Every other monarchy copes fine with just the monarch and his or her eldest child and their family being involved.Throw in any work the monarch's younger children may do and that is more than enough.The British royals don't need to be bringing cousins into it and IMO they won't when Charles is King.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:10 AM
Majesty

Martin ‏@MartinRoyalUK 15m
It turns out Princess Beatrice will 'categorically' not become a full time working royal. Read my piece at: http://www.royalcentral.co.uk/yorks/princess-beatrice-not-becoming-a-full-time-royal-17912 …

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 10-21-2013, 11:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
And once again your conclusions are predicated on the nameless, unsupported and totally unproven wittering of nobody knows who. And, of course, the alleged skulduggery and machinations of Charles the Mean and Nasty.

A few actual facts would be nice.

If you mean me, I don't believe Charles is mean and nasty at all, I have a lot of respect for him.
However, I feel he is very aware of his PR (it would be foolish of him not to be in his position).

IF, as has been alleged, he does want to streamline the monarchy, then I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Beatrice is trying an end run around that before the Queen dies and Charles takes over.

If at that time Beatrice has hundreds of patronages and can present herself as hard-working, I don't believe Charles will show her the door. JMO.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:07 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
Every other monarchy copes fine with just the monarch and his or her eldest child and their family being involved.Throw in any work the monarch's younger children may do and that is more than enough.The British royals don't need to be bringing cousins into it and IMO they won't when Charles is King.

The other monarchs are only monarchs in one country while the British monarch is monarch of 16 different countries and Head of a Commonwealth of 54 nations - or 25% of the world's nations. They therefore have calls on their time that the others don't have and thus do need a larger set of working royals.

Personally I don't think they want or need Beatrice simply because Andrew, Edward, Sophie and Anne will keep working for The Firm until well into their 70s or even 80s - meaning into the 2030s by which time George will be finished with full-time education and be able to take up full-time duties (he won't be able to take his 20s off to do military training as his father did in all probability). Harry won't have the 20 year military career that Andrew had either as he will be needed sooner rather than later but with those people having to take up the slack and doing 500 engagements a year each they can manage the 3000 or so a year done by the 15 working royals now with 6 royals. It averages out to less than 2 a day (and many days they do 5 - 6).
Old 10-21-2013, 04:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The other monarchs are only monarchs in one country while the British monarch is monarch of 16 different countries and Head of a Commonwealth of 54 nations - or 25% of the world's nations. They therefore have calls on their time that the others don't have and thus do need a larger set of working royals.

Personally I don't think they want or need Beatrice simply because Andrew, Edward, Sophie and Anne will keep working for The Firm until well into their 70s or even 80s - meaning into the 2030s by which time George will be finished with full-time education and be able to take up full-time duties (he won't be able to take his 20s off to do military training as his father did in all probability). Harry won't have the 20 year military career that Andrew had either as he will be needed sooner rather than later but with those people having to take up the slack and doing 500 engagements a year each they can manage the 3000 or so a year done by the 15 working royals now with 6 royals. It averages out to less than 2 a day (and many days they do 5 - 6).
BRF,like any other organisation, needs a Plan B, literally in this case.

We all assume that Harry will happily give up his military career, that his future wife will happily take on royal duties and it will all go smoothly. but it may not happen. I agree with Iluvbertie about the scale of responsibilties, plus a population in the Uk alone of c.70m who expect to see the royals out and about.

So if there was no Harry f/t or a wife f/t, then perhaps Beatrice would be needed. It wouldnt be acknowledged now but she could be available if required.

Tags
career, education, princess beatrice, princess eugenie, royal duties, social life, styles and titles