The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-22-2013, 09:23 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
irrelevant to your point, but there are 5; don't forget Princess Alexandra.
Oh thank you! How could I forget her. She's one of my favorites. Thank you

Old 10-18-2013, 11:55 AM
Courtier

Here's more. Princess Beatrice has also met Malala Yousafzai:

'Youth, Education and the Commonwealth' reception | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
https://twitter.com/allthingsregal/s...974912/photo/1

She does seem much more involved than in the past; it seems odd because I thought the Palace said she was not becoming a full-time royal!

Old 10-18-2013, 03:52 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think that this was ever decreed. The general discussion about this is that the Prince of Wales wants a slim-downed monarchy in the future and doesn't like the idea of his siblings and their children working as members of the Royal Family. However, nothing--to my knowledge--has ever been said officially about this. I don't think that Princess Beatrice has a day-job now, and it makes sense for her to make use of her free time in this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
She does seem much more involved than in the past; it seems odd because I thought the Palace said she was not becoming a full-time royal!
Old 10-18-2013, 05:36 PM
Majesty

Beatrice has attended a number of receptions over the years - but often isn't mentioned in the CC as having done so. There was at least one other reception this year that she and her sister attended, along with Andrew, and none of the Yorks were in the CC although the rest of the royals were all listed.

It will be interesting to see when I see the CC next week for Friday. (I won't see Friday's - published Saturday in the UK - until Tuesday here in Sydney.

I think her role will be more like the Michael's of Kent - occasional supportive appearances and create a separate role for herself that isn't official.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I don't think that this was ever decreed. The general discussion about this is that the Prince of Wales wants a slim-downed monarchy in the future and doesn't like the idea of his siblings and their children working as members of the Royal Family. However, nothing--to my knowledge--has ever been said officially about this. I don't think that Princess Beatrice has a day-job now, and it makes sense for her to make use of her free time in this way.
You are right. Media have expounded at great length that "Charles the Mean, Selfish and Nasty" basically wants shot of all his siblings and their children, Andrew, Beatrice and Eugenie in particular.

The reasons given have run the gamut from finance to 'available work' to a personal loathing of all his siblings and Andrew in particular. There has never been any official announcement of this just regular updates on the "fact" that it is Charles stance and
he's working toward it.

There is the "Way Ahead Committee" which includes all the senior royals and they are not making any public statements either, just that they are working to a coherent plan for the future which, when you think about it, is a very sensible thing to do. The age spread of the Committee gives a really well rounded basis for discussion. The fact that the York girls keep popping up at various events with HM seems more in keeping with the ideals of the committee rather than the nefarious plots of "Charles the Mean and Nasty"!

Just a thought . . . could the listings in the CC be related to financial renumeration rather than attendance?
Old 10-18-2013, 06:12 PM
Majesty

No - the CC has nothing to do with finances as The Queen supports all the family except the Wales/Cambridges anyway.

The CC simply is her approved list of official engagements undertaken on her behalf or that of the government.

The comment about the 'slimmed down monarchy' I believe has been traced back to a comment by a member of the staff after an early Way Ahead Meeting and has since grown into 'Charles wants a slimmed down monarchy...' but even that original comment never suggested that Charles was going to cut out his siblings - but some of the anti-Charles brigade have included those specifics to the original comment. This is a case of a one-line suggestion becoming embellished and treated as fact.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:10 PM
Heir Apparent

As to finance I was thinking more in terms of "official" royal duties. As to the rest, well you said it. One comment from someone not a member of the group has taken on a life of it's own. How nice to see tours by the Wessexes and various charitable "sightings" of other members of the BRF, not to mention attending various "dos" at BP, showing the big lie for what it is.

If I am not mistaken there was a gala not to long ago where it was stated that only HM, DoE, PoW and DoC attended and yet several others were spotted in various snaps (Anne in a wonderful tiara), once again giving the lie the big royal Diet! I look forward to seeing the York girls or Peter and Zara in the same situation.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:59 PM
Majesty

That gala was the event at which all of the others who attended were credited, except the Yorks - no Andrew, Beatrice or Eugenie even though they were all there but Edward, Sophie and Anne were in the CC.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:00 AM
Nobility

Excuse my ignorance, what's the CC?
Old 10-19-2013, 07:03 AM
Majesty

The Court Circular.

It is the daily record of all the official duties undertaken by members of The Royal Family and is approved daily by The Queen.

It is published in a couple of newspapers in the UK and on the British monarchy website updated on the day after the engagements took place, except the monarchy website isn't updated over the weekend so the updates for Friday, Saturday and Sunday are done Monday UK.

I use these figures to work out the update I do weekly in the Annual Engagements thread.

On the British monarchy site there is also a section (FE) for Future Engagements but it doesn't list all the engagements for the Wales/Cambridges or the Duke of York.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:43 AM
Serene Highness

I think Beatrice is determined to join the royal merry go round whether she is wanted or not and is being egged on by her parents. I think Andrew is well aware that he and his family are in danger of being sidelined when Charles comes to the throne. That's just my opinion.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
I think Beatrice is determined to join the royal merry go round whether she is wanted or not and is being egged on by her parents. I think Andrew is well aware that he and his family are in danger of being sidelined when Charles comes to the throne. That's just my opinion.

It's an opinion I share.

By accepting patronages and turning up repeatedly at royal events while the Queen is still alive, Beatrice is setting a precedent; she knows they won't actually toss her out! People get used to seeing her and she is becoming increasingly recognizable.

I believe the Yorks intend to present Charles with a fait accompli.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
It's an opinion I share.

By accepting patronages and turning up repeatedly at royal events while the Queen is still alive, Beatrice is setting a precedent; she knows they won't actually toss her out! People get used to seeing her and she is becoming increasingly recognizable.

I believe the Yorks intend to present Charles with a fait accompli.
I have to respectfully disagree with you on this. I really don't see Beatrice having any kind of ulterior motive other than the sincere wish to help and support the specific charities that she is involved with. There are many people that are patrons and supporters of different charities and causes that are not royal. Look at the Beckhams for example. Jerry Lewis did his labor day weekend telethon for Muscular Dystrophy for decades and wasn't royal either. Beatrice's mother has supported her own causes for years.

There can be no way that anyone will be able to present Charles with anything. As it stands now with the Queen, the court circular, which is the list of engagements and appearances representing the monarch, is solely approved by her and that will not change once Charles is King.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:33 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
It's an opinion I share. By accepting patronages and turning up repeatedly at royal events while the Queen is still alive, Beatrice is setting a precedent; she knows they won't actually toss her out! People get used to seeing her and she is becoming increasingly recognizable. I believe the Yorks intend to present Charles with a fait accompli.
Simple fact, she wouldn't accept patronages or attend events without The Queens say so. She's obviously not doing this against HM's wishes.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:58 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Simple fact, she wouldn't accept patronages or attend events without The Queens say so. She's obviously not doing this against HM's wishes.
Very true. The CC is a matter of The Queen's role as sovereign and head of state -- ie government. Not as a grandmother and head of the House of Windsor. There could be many reasons why she doesn't see it appropriate for Princess Beatrice to be acknowledge there (let alone the fact that Princess Beatrice is still quite young and William and Harry only just recently starting taking on official roles). In my honest opinion, it's just a compromise that's been made within the royal family--Beatrice takes on patronages and charities and can obviously attend royal events because she is a royal after all, but there isn't need for them to be recognized in the CC. I doubt Beatrice worries about it at all either way. She is doing good work and is an asset to the royal family regardless.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
No - the CC has nothing to do with finances as The Queen supports all the family except the Wales/Cambridges anyway.

The CC simply is her approved list of official engagements undertaken on her behalf or that of the government.

The comment about the 'slimmed down monarchy' I believe has been traced back to a comment by a member of the staff after an early Way Ahead Meeting and has since grown into 'Charles wants a slimmed down monarchy...' but even that original comment never suggested that Charles was going to cut out his siblings - but some of the anti-Charles brigade have included those specifics to the original comment. This is a case of a one-line suggestion becoming embellished and treated as fact.
Beatrice is mentioned in the Court Circular for the Reception at BP on the 18th October, as were D&D of Glos. Beatrice has also accompanied the Queen to the races at Ascot today (19th).

Queen arrives with Princess Beatrice at Ascot hoping her horse remains unbeaten | Royal | News | Daily Express

HMQ does like royals to help her with receptions because of the number of guests but the visit to Ascot made me wonder if HMQ is gently introducung Beatrice as a "lady in waiting", not formally though. Just a thought.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 10-19-2013, 02:55 PM
Courtier

The Queen appreciates all her grandchildren and the support and respect they show her and the DofE. The York and Phillips-haters better find something better to do or someone's Granny will be very cross with you!

You go Beatrice!
Old 10-19-2013, 03:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
HMQ does like royals to help her with receptions because of the number of guests but the visit to Ascot made me wonder if HMQ is gently introducung Beatrice as a "lady in waiting", not formally though. Just a thought.
I have the same thoughts. The queen will need more and more help during her engagements. Philip has health problems, so Beatrice is really good choice.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:11 PM
Royal Highness

Looking at it from a longer term perspective though, I don't think Beatrice will be carrying out many solo engagements- I'm thinking for example when Harry marries and also from what I have read elsewhere on these forums about Charles appearing to favour a slimmer group of senior royals ( not sure how true this is). I do think, however, it will not be like the previous generations where cousins of the monarch such as the Kents & Gloucesters are regularly called upon to perform Royal duties.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:57 PM
Majesty

Beatrice could accept patronages without The Queen's approval. She is an independent woman but she is only noted in the CC with The Queen's approval - and up to the 17th October this year that was on 7 occasions and none for anything she did as an individual or with Eugenie. Even when they represented Britain in Germany earlier this year it wasn't officially recognised by The Queen. They have attended at least one reception this year where they weren't recognised, and neither was Andrew, but all the other royals were recognised.

They were the only ones who were recognised as attending Epsom with The Queen, but like the rest of the family no one officially went to Ascot in June according to the CC - The Queen was the only one there officially even though we know that most of the family attended at least one day.

I don't see this as evidence of Beatrice going to be doing full-time duties but rather than as she doesn't yet have a new job a way of using her.

The story about Charles wanting a slimmer monarchy started with a comment by a member of staff in the early-mid-90s and grew and grew to the point where people take is as gospel when in fact there is no evidence for it at all - no public comment can be attributed to Charles and the story seems different every time it appears 'a slimmer royal family', 'cutting out his siblings' etc etc when in fact there is nothing anywhere where Charles actually has made a comment on the record.

I suspect that the intention is, during Charles' reign, to have Beatrice and Eugenie doing the sort of things that the Michael's of Kent do - while William, Kate, Harry and Harry's wife do 500+ engagements per year which, with Charles and Camilla, and the aging siblings means they could cover the about 3000 a year they do now. Over the last couple of years only Anne and Charles have gone over 500 so they will have to work and Harry will have to leave the army when his father ascends the throne if not sooner.

Beatrice has the best of the royal life - the perks etc and occasional appearances for charity or for the family but not the slog of boring hand-shakes and small talk, while still able to have a relatively normal life.

Tags
career, education, princess beatrice, princess eugenie, royal duties, social life, styles and titles