The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1501  
Old 09-22-2013, 09:23 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Saginaw, United States
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
irrelevant to your point, but there are 5; don't forget Princess Alexandra.
Oh thank you! How could I forget her. She's one of my favorites. Thank you
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1502  
Old 10-18-2013, 11:55 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada, Canada
Posts: 981
Here's more. Princess Beatrice has also met Malala Yousafzai:

'Youth, Education and the Commonwealth' reception | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
https://twitter.com/allthingsregal/s...974912/photo/1

She does seem much more involved than in the past; it seems odd because I thought the Palace said she was not becoming a full-time royal!
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1503  
Old 10-18-2013, 03:52 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,189
I don't think that this was ever decreed. The general discussion about this is that the Prince of Wales wants a slim-downed monarchy in the future and doesn't like the idea of his siblings and their children working as members of the Royal Family. However, nothing--to my knowledge--has ever been said officially about this. I don't think that Princess Beatrice has a day-job now, and it makes sense for her to make use of her free time in this way.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
She does seem much more involved than in the past; it seems odd because I thought the Palace said she was not becoming a full-time royal!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1504  
Old 10-18-2013, 05:36 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,491
Beatrice has attended a number of receptions over the years - but often isn't mentioned in the CC as having done so. There was at least one other reception this year that she and her sister attended, along with Andrew, and none of the Yorks were in the CC although the rest of the royals were all listed.

It will be interesting to see when I see the CC next week for Friday. (I won't see Friday's - published Saturday in the UK - until Tuesday here in Sydney.

I think her role will be more like the Michael's of Kent - occasional supportive appearances and create a separate role for herself that isn't official.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1505  
Old 10-18-2013, 05:52 PM
MARG's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 4,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I don't think that this was ever decreed. The general discussion about this is that the Prince of Wales wants a slim-downed monarchy in the future and doesn't like the idea of his siblings and their children working as members of the Royal Family. However, nothing--to my knowledge--has ever been said officially about this. I don't think that Princess Beatrice has a day-job now, and it makes sense for her to make use of her free time in this way.
You are right. Media have expounded at great length that "Charles the Mean, Selfish and Nasty" basically wants shot of all his siblings and their children, Andrew, Beatrice and Eugenie in particular.

The reasons given have run the gamut from finance to 'available work' to a personal loathing of all his siblings and Andrew in particular. There has never been any official announcement of this just regular updates on the "fact" that it is Charles stance and
he's working toward it.

There is the "Way Ahead Committee" which includes all the senior royals and they are not making any public statements either, just that they are working to a coherent plan for the future which, when you think about it, is a very sensible thing to do. The age spread of the Committee gives a really well rounded basis for discussion. The fact that the York girls keep popping up at various events with HM seems more in keeping with the ideals of the committee rather than the nefarious plots of "Charles the Mean and Nasty"!

Just a thought . . . could the listings in the CC be related to financial renumeration rather than attendance?
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
  #1506  
Old 10-18-2013, 06:12 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,491
No - the CC has nothing to do with finances as The Queen supports all the family except the Wales/Cambridges anyway.

The CC simply is her approved list of official engagements undertaken on her behalf or that of the government.

The comment about the 'slimmed down monarchy' I believe has been traced back to a comment by a member of the staff after an early Way Ahead Meeting and has since grown into 'Charles wants a slimmed down monarchy...' but even that original comment never suggested that Charles was going to cut out his siblings - but some of the anti-Charles brigade have included those specifics to the original comment. This is a case of a one-line suggestion becoming embellished and treated as fact.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1507  
Old 10-18-2013, 07:10 PM
MARG's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 4,037
As to finance I was thinking more in terms of "official" royal duties. As to the rest, well you said it. One comment from someone not a member of the group has taken on a life of it's own. How nice to see tours by the Wessexes and various charitable "sightings" of other members of the BRF, not to mention attending various "dos" at BP, showing the big lie for what it is.

If I am not mistaken there was a gala not to long ago where it was stated that only HM, DoE, PoW and DoC attended and yet several others were spotted in various snaps (Anne in a wonderful tiara), once again giving the lie the big royal Diet! I look forward to seeing the York girls or Peter and Zara in the same situation.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
  #1508  
Old 10-18-2013, 08:59 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,491
That gala was the event at which all of the others who attended were credited, except the Yorks - no Andrew, Beatrice or Eugenie even though they were all there but Edward, Sophie and Anne were in the CC.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1509  
Old 10-19-2013, 06:00 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cairo, Egypt
Posts: 359
Excuse my ignorance, what's the CC?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1510  
Old 10-19-2013, 07:03 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,491
The Court Circular.

It is the daily record of all the official duties undertaken by members of The Royal Family and is approved daily by The Queen.

It is published in a couple of newspapers in the UK and on the British monarchy website updated on the day after the engagements took place, except the monarchy website isn't updated over the weekend so the updates for Friday, Saturday and Sunday are done Monday UK.

I use these figures to work out the update I do weekly in the Annual Engagements thread.

On the British monarchy site there is also a section (FE) for Future Engagements but it doesn't list all the engagements for the Wales/Cambridges or the Duke of York.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1511  
Old 10-19-2013, 07:43 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,040
I think Beatrice is determined to join the royal merry go round whether she is wanted or not and is being egged on by her parents. I think Andrew is well aware that he and his family are in danger of being sidelined when Charles comes to the throne. That's just my opinion.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1512  
Old 10-19-2013, 08:05 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 2,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
I think Beatrice is determined to join the royal merry go round whether she is wanted or not and is being egged on by her parents. I think Andrew is well aware that he and his family are in danger of being sidelined when Charles comes to the throne. That's just my opinion.

It's an opinion I share.

By accepting patronages and turning up repeatedly at royal events while the Queen is still alive, Beatrice is setting a precedent; she knows they won't actually toss her out! People get used to seeing her and she is becoming increasingly recognizable.

I believe the Yorks intend to present Charles with a fait accompli.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1513  
Old 10-19-2013, 09:25 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 3,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
It's an opinion I share.

By accepting patronages and turning up repeatedly at royal events while the Queen is still alive, Beatrice is setting a precedent; she knows they won't actually toss her out! People get used to seeing her and she is becoming increasingly recognizable.

I believe the Yorks intend to present Charles with a fait accompli.
I have to respectfully disagree with you on this. I really don't see Beatrice having any kind of ulterior motive other than the sincere wish to help and support the specific charities that she is involved with. There are many people that are patrons and supporters of different charities and causes that are not royal. Look at the Beckhams for example. Jerry Lewis did his labor day weekend telethon for Muscular Dystrophy for decades and wasn't royal either. Beatrice's mother has supported her own causes for years.

There can be no way that anyone will be able to present Charles with anything. As it stands now with the Queen, the court circular, which is the list of engagements and appearances representing the monarch, is solely approved by her and that will not change once Charles is King.
__________________
“We live in a world where we have to hide to make love, while violence is practiced in broad daylight.”
~~~ John Lennon ~~~
Reply With Quote
  #1514  
Old 10-19-2013, 09:33 AM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
It's an opinion I share. By accepting patronages and turning up repeatedly at royal events while the Queen is still alive, Beatrice is setting a precedent; she knows they won't actually toss her out! People get used to seeing her and she is becoming increasingly recognizable. I believe the Yorks intend to present Charles with a fait accompli.
Simple fact, she wouldn't accept patronages or attend events without The Queens say so. She's obviously not doing this against HM's wishes.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #1515  
Old 10-19-2013, 11:58 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Washington, DC, United States
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Simple fact, she wouldn't accept patronages or attend events without The Queens say so. She's obviously not doing this against HM's wishes.
Very true. The CC is a matter of The Queen's role as sovereign and head of state -- ie government. Not as a grandmother and head of the House of Windsor. There could be many reasons why she doesn't see it appropriate for Princess Beatrice to be acknowledge there (let alone the fact that Princess Beatrice is still quite young and William and Harry only just recently starting taking on official roles). In my honest opinion, it's just a compromise that's been made within the royal family--Beatrice takes on patronages and charities and can obviously attend royal events because she is a royal after all, but there isn't need for them to be recognized in the CC. I doubt Beatrice worries about it at all either way. She is doing good work and is an asset to the royal family regardless.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1516  
Old 10-19-2013, 12:21 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
No - the CC has nothing to do with finances as The Queen supports all the family except the Wales/Cambridges anyway.

The CC simply is her approved list of official engagements undertaken on her behalf or that of the government.

The comment about the 'slimmed down monarchy' I believe has been traced back to a comment by a member of the staff after an early Way Ahead Meeting and has since grown into 'Charles wants a slimmed down monarchy...' but even that original comment never suggested that Charles was going to cut out his siblings - but some of the anti-Charles brigade have included those specifics to the original comment. This is a case of a one-line suggestion becoming embellished and treated as fact.
Beatrice is mentioned in the Court Circular for the Reception at BP on the 18th October, as were D&D of Glos. Beatrice has also accompanied the Queen to the races at Ascot today (19th).

Queen arrives with Princess Beatrice at Ascot hoping her horse remains unbeaten | Royal | News | Daily Express

HMQ does like royals to help her with receptions because of the number of guests but the visit to Ascot made me wonder if HMQ is gently introducung Beatrice as a "lady in waiting", not formally though. Just a thought.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #1517  
Old 10-19-2013, 02:55 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 918
The Queen appreciates all her grandchildren and the support and respect they show her and the DofE. The York and Phillips-haters better find something better to do or someone's Granny will be very cross with you!

You go Beatrice!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1518  
Old 10-19-2013, 03:53 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NN, Lithuania
Posts: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
HMQ does like royals to help her with receptions because of the number of guests but the visit to Ascot made me wonder if HMQ is gently introducung Beatrice as a "lady in waiting", not formally though. Just a thought.
I have the same thoughts. The queen will need more and more help during her engagements. Philip has health problems, so Beatrice is really good choice.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1519  
Old 10-19-2013, 04:11 PM
Elly C's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Worcester, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,844
Looking at it from a longer term perspective though, I don't think Beatrice will be carrying out many solo engagements- I'm thinking for example when Harry marries and also from what I have read elsewhere on these forums about Charles appearing to favour a slimmer group of senior royals ( not sure how true this is). I do think, however, it will not be like the previous generations where cousins of the monarch such as the Kents & Gloucesters are regularly called upon to perform Royal duties.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1520  
Old 10-19-2013, 04:57 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,491
Beatrice could accept patronages without The Queen's approval. She is an independent woman but she is only noted in the CC with The Queen's approval - and up to the 17th October this year that was on 7 occasions and none for anything she did as an individual or with Eugenie. Even when they represented Britain in Germany earlier this year it wasn't officially recognised by The Queen. They have attended at least one reception this year where they weren't recognised, and neither was Andrew, but all the other royals were recognised.

They were the only ones who were recognised as attending Epsom with The Queen, but like the rest of the family no one officially went to Ascot in June according to the CC - The Queen was the only one there officially even though we know that most of the family attended at least one day.

I don't see this as evidence of Beatrice going to be doing full-time duties but rather than as she doesn't yet have a new job a way of using her.

The story about Charles wanting a slimmer monarchy started with a comment by a member of staff in the early-mid-90s and grew and grew to the point where people take is as gospel when in fact there is no evidence for it at all - no public comment can be attributed to Charles and the story seems different every time it appears 'a slimmer royal family', 'cutting out his siblings' etc etc when in fact there is nothing anywhere where Charles actually has made a comment on the record.

I suspect that the intention is, during Charles' reign, to have Beatrice and Eugenie doing the sort of things that the Michael's of Kent do - while William, Kate, Harry and Harry's wife do 500+ engagements per year which, with Charles and Camilla, and the aging siblings means they could cover the about 3000 a year they do now. Over the last couple of years only Anne and Charles have gone over 500 so they will have to work and Harry will have to leave the army when his father ascends the throne if not sooner.

Beatrice has the best of the royal life - the perks etc and occasional appearances for charity or for the family but not the slog of boring hand-shakes and small talk, while still able to have a relatively normal life.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
career, education, princess beatrice, princess eugenie, royal duties, social life, styles and titles


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie: Old News and Photos Warren The Duke of York, Sarah Duchess of York, and Family 93 09-11-2014 08:01 PM
Duties, Roles and Royal Training of the Princes JOY! Prince Harry and Prince William 214 02-20-2013 08:07 PM
Beatrice and Eugenie : Baby/child Pics: Part 1 Martine The Duke of York, Sarah Duchess of York, and Family 133 03-04-2006 12:25 AM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince felipe crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit current events engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri habsburg hohenzollern infanta elena infanta leonor infanta sofia jewellery jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king constantine ii king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg nobility olympics ottoman pom president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince felipe prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess astrid princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess letizia princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion princess of asturias queen anne-marie queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit wedding



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:59 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]