The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-22-2013, 06:16 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post
I agree. Eugenie does not strike me as being like her mother. I think her sister is the one who wishes to have a working royal life. I also think the father is still fighting for it even though there were reports that he was given a NO from the Queen. Something about budgets and keeping the RF down to just a few. That being Charles and his offspring I think. There were reports that this was Charles' idea but I think the government might have had something to do with it.

Or it was all hogwash!

There has never been anything from any member of the royal family or household other than a throw-away line in the early 90s that has somehow become the official line.

Beatrice has had a job since last October and before that there were reports that she was going to have a career and not do royal duties although she has also reportedly wanted to do more to help her grandmother.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:35 AM
Courtier

Thinking I might have imagined it, I went and googled...immediately these came up:

Solving the Princess Beatrice conundrum - Royal Quarters - Macleans.ca

How do you solve a problem like Princess Beatrice? - Telegraph

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2011/10/26/...o-royal-roles/

Old 06-22-2013, 09:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post

Papers republishing a single quote from the 1990s as Iluvbertie says. I find it amazing that so many people believe what is written.

The only papers in the Uk which are generally reliable are The Times and the Express. But they arent 100%. I dont think the US and Australian media have a clue, and nor do the media on continential europe.

I find it pretty disgusting that these two girls have to take so much bitching (mainly from other women) and negative reporting because of the errors in jusgement by their parents.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-22-2013, 12:56 PM
Nobility

The McLeans article says that Beatrice is quite fond of her princess status. I've always heard that she is quite down to earth.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:57 PM
Heir Apparent

How would Mcleans know? As I said - just dont believe everything you read.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:13 PM
Nobility

It is good to see that both princesses are successfully leading private lives - i think their reputation has been turned around. I still find their status as princesses an anomaly though.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
It is good to see that both princesses are successfully leading private lives - i think their reputation has been turned around. I still find their status as princesses an anomaly though.
How is their status as princesses an anomaly?

In Britain, all children of a monarch, male-line grandchildren of the monarch, and the Prince of Wales' eldest son's eldest son are all given princely titles on birth.

Beatrice and Eugenie are male-line grandchildren of Elizabeth II, through their father. The anomaly seen in this generation of the monarch's grandchildren is actually the Wessexes, who are entitled to, but do not use princely titles.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:26 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post

In Britain, all children of a monarch, male-line grandchildren of the monarch, and the Prince of Wales' eldest son's eldest son are all given princely titles on birth.

Beatrice and Eugenie are male-line grandchildren of Elizabeth II, through their father. The anomaly seen in this generation of the monarch's grandchildren is actually the Wessexes, who are entitled to, but do not use princely titles.
Totally agree with one addition - ALL children of Prince William will have HRH Prince/Princess as The Queen issued new LPs to that effect last year to ensure that this about to be born child will be HRH Princess if it is a girl.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

Totally agree with one addition - ALL children of Prince William will have HRH Prince/Princess as The Queen issued new LPs to that effect last year to ensure that this about to be born child will be HRH Princess if it is a girl.
Ah, yes, but in this case William's children (other than the first born son) are anomalies as well.

All children of the current eldest son of the Prince of Wales will have princely titles from birth, however this is not a guarantee for grandchildren of any future PoWs. So, say 30 years from now Charles is King, William is PoW, and Baby Cambridge is expecting his/her second child, that child will not automatically become a prince(ss) unless Charles has issued new LPs.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:23 AM
Courtier

I think both Princess Eugenie and Beatrice seem like lovely young women, but they are walking a fine line. They have many contacts that other young people don't, so in some ways it is easier for them to find a good paying job. On the other hand, there are probably many jobs that are probably closed to them, look at what happened with Prince Edward's attempt to maintain a full-time job.

I understand why so many male members of the royal family go into the military. At times, I think that Princesses Eugenie and Beatrice should consider starting a new tradition for the females in the family, but neither of them really seems to have the personality for it.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:07 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
It is a very positive article I'm a little surprised they have said where she will be working after it being such a secret where Beatrice works. I think there is a reason for that though Beatrice has taken more time off then is usually allowed so it probably has a link to the family in some way.
Or it could just be the nature of Beatrice's position. Working for a financial house, she could be working on accounts of a sensitive nature, or perhaps her employer doesn't want the publicity associated with having a royal employee. Whereas, in the art/auction world, having a royal employee -- and the accompanying publicity -- is definitely a good thing. JMHO
Old 06-28-2013, 10:11 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
I fully understand they are entitled to their Princess titles by birth, I was thinking more of the controversies surrounding Edward & Sophie and Prince & Princess Micheal when they have tried to be Royals who lead private careers.

I think it will be difficult to maintain the best of both world - royal and private - alongside each other.

I suppose it all depends on what a prince/ss is supposed to be/do.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Regarding comments about taking time off work, "more time than is usual" etc.

In the UK everyone is entitled to 15 days leave plus 8 "bank holidays". Many companies offer more holiday and 20 days is not unusual, especially in the larger organisations. So what is usual in the UK may not be usual elsewhere.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:00 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
I fully understand they are entitled to their Princess titles by birth, I was thinking more of the controversies surrounding Edward & Sophie and Prince & Princess Micheal when they have tried to be Royals who lead private careers.

I think it will be difficult to maintain the best of both world - royal and private - alongside each other.

I suppose it all depends on what a prince/ss is supposed to be/do.
I don't think it'll be that hard for them to maintain a private life, and for them to appear when neccessary at royal functions. The problem with Edward and Sophie's enterprise was it was TV related based upon royal life basically. Edward even went as far as filming his nephew when he was at St Andrews to make money.

Prince Michael, due to the fact he doesn't receive any money from The Queen makes his own money through commercial enterprise. The controversy surrounding The Kents is that they have been accused, MC especially, of abusing their royal status for monetary gain. Princess Michael is an author.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Regarding comments about taking time off work, "more time than is usual" etc.

In the UK everyone is entitled to 15 days leave plus 8 "bank holidays". Many companies offer more holiday and 20 days is not unusual, especially in the larger organisations. So what is usual in the UK may not be usual elsewhere.
I'm about to take 17 days off for a once in a lifetime holiday trip, and that's been allowed. Normally you're only allowed two solid weeks off and the company I work for is a worldwide retail business, and we work all bank holidays but don't work Easter Sunday due to the size of our store.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I don't think it'll be that hard for them to maintain a private life, and for them to appear when neccessary at royal functions. The problem with Edward and Sophie's enterprise was it was TV related based upon royal life basically. Edward even went as far as filming his nephew when he was at St Andrews to make money.

Prince Michael, due to the fact he doesn't receive any money from The Queen makes his own money through commercial enterprise. The controversy surrounding The Kents is that they have been accused, MC especially, of abusing their royal status for monetary gain. Princess Michael is an author.

I'm about to take 17 days off for a once in a lifetime holiday trip, and that's been allowed. Normally you're only allowed two solid weeks off and the company I work for is a worldwide retail business, and we work all bank holidays but don't work Easter Sunday due to the size of our store.
But employees should legally get alternative time off if they work the bank holiday

Old 06-28-2013, 04:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Most people I work with get 5 weeks off plus 5 sick days/personal days plus all stat holidays. I work for a large international organization and such holiday time is deemed perfectly normal except for our US operation which seems to limit their staff to 2-3 weeks holidays and even then some of the US staff actually boast about never using all their available holiday time which always seems very silly.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:53 PM
Heir Apparent

This reinforces my point that Beatrice is probably just using her holiday allowance.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:56 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
But employees should legally get alternative time off if they work the bank holiday
I wish I did! I just get double pay for working bank holiday's! I agree Beatrice like William and Henry use their official holiday time for events like this. Most of the time we see these girls out on evenings so they can't be working then.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:57 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Just out of curiosity.. where are you going??
Old 06-28-2013, 05:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

I wish I did! I just get double pay for working bank holiday's! I agree Beatrice like William and Henry use their official holiday time for events like this. Most of the time we see these girls out on evenings so they can't be working then.
That seems normal, or at least it is here. We have a holiday on Monday, and if you don't work it you get holiday pay, and if you do work then you get time and a half.

Tags
career, education, princess beatrice, princess eugenie, royal duties, social life, styles and titles