The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-07-2012, 02:58 PM
Courtier

The UK position, as I understand it, is that if anyone is a Director of an charitable or not for profit organisation and particularly one that is registered as a company, any payment to them - even if it is re-imbursement for expenses properly incurred - has to be reflected in the accounts as a payment to the Director. There is also a slight difficulty with nomenclature: 'Trustees' are usually registered as Directors as well at Companies House [ The regulatory organisation for Companies, including not for profits etc].

Thus [to keep the thread on topic] if Beatrice and Eugenie are Directors of a charity or company [which they could be if they were in fact known as 'Trustees' ]and each receives a payment in respect of (say) mileage ( even at the 'approved' rate of HM Revenue and Customs [The UK version of the USA's IRS] which is a modest 40 pence per mile or more generously] there has to be a note somewhere in the accounts: it is a payment made to a Director, and the Director will have to be named. In practice, if the sum involved was very small - perhaps a tube [subway] fare of £1.50p, I expect the money would be refunded in coinage as 'petty cash' and probably wouldn't appear, but any payment made to a bank account [by cheque (check) or electronically] would form part of the 'audit trail' [so-called] and would have to reported.

I am a little unclear about the role of a Life President because I have not yet read the Children in Crisis Link in any great detail and It is more a discussion for the appropriate 'Sarah thread', but from the accounts, Sarah is not a Trustee and thus would NOT have been registered as a Director at Companies House, and thus payments to Sarah would not have to appear in the reporting section of the accounts as 'payments made to a director [trustee]' and so theoretically Sarah could receive reimbursements and payments if she was NOT a director. Without wanting to take this thread too far off topic, it does seem to me that Sarah is (for want of a better word]a 'non-working figurehead', probably more an 'Inspiration' if you like.

Hope this helps,

Alex

Old 01-07-2012, 03:17 PM
Courtier

I've done a bit of snipping from the York fashion thread:

Read more: Princess Beatrice opts for simple, but chic fashion choice | Mail Online

While [Dave Clarke] busies himself working for Branson, Bea is said to be organising a series of internships following her History and History Of Ideas degree.

A Buckingham Palace spokesperson said: 'She hopes to broaden her knowledge and experience to complement her position as a member of the royal family. She will look to progress this work into other relevant areas.'

[My emphasis]

Interesting statement from Buckingham Palace again, and since it is attributed to a spokesman it has the status of a properly verifiable comment and source. The words 'royal family' are used again..........which makes me think that if BP has just released this statement again, then there is the possibility that Beatrice could end up doing some royal duties in due course. I am of course not allowed to speculate too deeply in my posts, but it may be the case that Prince Philip's recent surgery could be prompting the BRF to assess their options again in respect of the York Princesses.

Alex

Old 01-07-2012, 06:23 PM
Heir Apparent

I am really hoping you are right about this latest report. She seems such a lovely girl, and is almost always smiling or laughing when seen in photos. I marvel at how she has managed to to retain her own sense of self over those awkward teenage years that are torment for most girls and made hell for her by the media for no other reason than who her parents are?

She epitomises grace under pressure and displays a maturity far beyond her years as illustrated by the stunning backhander when played when she auctioned her much vilified wedding hat for her favourite charities, and made a bomb doing it!

Her handling of the press and their intrusions has been gracious and dignified with none of the sulks and pouts of her older cousins at the same age. That grace and maturity would be a great asset to the public face of the BRF
Old 01-07-2012, 06:38 PM
Courtier

Marg, it sounds odd to us, but without wanting to be accused of baseless speculation again, perhaps Beatrice does not read too much of the negative press about her. Royal Biographies over the years have stated that senior members such as the Queen, Prince Phillip. Prince Charles and The Princess Royal don't read that tabloids. [Princess Diana reputedly used to study the Daily Mail and the Daily Express each day: perhaps this is explained by the fact that her friend Richard Kay used to work for the former and Ross Benson, who was at school with Prince Charles, used to write for the latter.] I am not suggesting that Princess Beatrice or Eugenie 'live in a bubble' and I would think that they are probably told little bits here-and-there, but as royal family members they may well have adopted the practice of senior royals to avoid the tabloids and only concentrate on selected articles from the broadsheets.

Alex
Old 01-07-2012, 09:20 PM
Majesty

As this statement about the internships is the same one that was given when she graduated I have a question.

Is it a statement just being regurgitated or is it a new statement?

The first time this was published was in September - nearly 4 months ago - what has she actually done to organise these internships in the intervening 4 months? It appears to be nothing but...for all we know she could have been doing 10 interviews a week for internships and being turned down or getting them organised or doing nothing at all.

I do hope we hear soon that she has something lined up as there are way too many people ready to drag her down for doing nothing rather than earning her keep.

She will always be a member of the royal family - but that doesn't mean she will ever do royal duties (I think it would have been good to send her to India with her father - so that he had a partner at the official dinners etc that there will be on that tour).
Old 01-07-2012, 10:45 PM
Nobility

I am not so sure that this isn't the DM rerunning the BP statement from last Sept.. It is tucked into the end of the article (along with reference to P. Beatrice and Dave's attendance at a TV show earlier and a previous quote from their friend in the show) historical filler if you will (we need X more inches in this article - here add this previous news.) If it's a new BP statement, though, I'm sure we'll see other news/tabloids pick up on it.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist View Post
. . . . . I am not suggesting that Princess Beatrice or Eugenie 'live in a bubble' and I would think that they are probably told little bits here-and-there, but as royal family members they may well have adopted the practice of senior royals to avoid the tabloids and only concentrate on selected articles from the broadsheets.

Alex
Hmm, I agree with your analysis. However, all that was previous to the advent of the pernicious Internet and it's evil spawn, Facebook, My Space, etc. where it would be a little harder to miss. And the cherry on top of the cake has to be Tweeting!

Oh good grief. People even tweet in Church!
Old 04-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Courtier

Whilst it was lovely to see Beatrice at the Maundy Service with HM and the DofE I do think the Palace needs to think carefully about such events. Her appearance seems to suggest she might possibly take on royal duties at some time. Personally i think the Royal advisers need to either make Beatrice a full time royal as such (which i think for several reasons is unlikely) or stop events such as this and make her as much of a private person as possible. As we saw with the Wessex's you can't have it both ways. I do feel Beatrice isn't getting supported very well by the Palace.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Whilst it was lovely to see Beatrice at the Maundy Service with HM and the DofE I do think the Palace needs to think carefully about such events. Her appearance seems to suggest she might possibly take on royal duties at some time. Personally i think the Royal advisers need to either make Beatrice a full time royal as such (which i think for several reasons is unlikely) or stop events such as this and make her as much of a private person as possible. As we saw with the Wessex's you can't have it both ways. I do feel Beatrice isn't getting supported very well by the Palace.
Totally disagree.
As we see at the moment, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are taking part in occasionally engagement whilst still living the "army" life mainly. I see nothing wrong with Beatrice or Eugenie attending the occasional event, particularly through this year, and living a private life on the side. Not seeing them at all, considering at this moment they are 5th & 6th in line, would be tragic.
Creating a television show, and partially making money off your own relatives is a bit of a different lifestyle than the one Beatrice may lead.

You do realise the connection as to why Beatrice attended this specific event?
Old 04-05-2012, 12:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Totally disagree.
As we see at the moment, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are taking part in occasionally engagement whilst still living the "army" life mainly. I see nothing wrong with Beatrice or Eugenie attending the occasional event, particularly through this year, and living a private life on the side. Not seeing them at all, considering at this moment they are 5th & 6th in line, would be tragic.
Creating a television show, and partially making money off your own relatives is a bit of a different lifestyle than the one Beatrice may lead.

I hope the appearance by Bea was a one-off, or one of a few related to the jubilee. IMO, she should be free to fly and find her place in the big wide world, and not be constricted by duties to the BRF, where she can, at best, have a very supporting role. Let her have the freedom to rise in her career (whatever that may be in), rather than be held back because of her position in the BRF.

The position of the Cambridge couple is very different. They are the future King and Queen. As there are plenty of other royals around at the moment, they can have the luxury of maintaing "relative normalcy" in their life in Wales. They will continue to pop up now and then, but I hope they can keep this arrangement alive for another few years at least. I suspect the answer to how long they can do this is linked nexcusably to when Charles succeeds to the throne.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
As there are plenty of other royals around at the moment, they can have the luxury of maintaing "relative normalcy" in their life in Wales. They will continue to pop up now and then, but I hope they can keep this arrangement alive for another few years at least. I suspect the answer to how long they can do this is linked nexcusably to when Charles succeeds to the throne.
I agree there are a lot of working royals right now, but most of those royals are a generation or two older; in a couple of decades, most of them might have to scale down their official roles. That would effectively leave William, Kate, Harry and Harry's future wife as the working royals of their generation. Taking that into consideration, Beatrice might well become a full-time working royal in future; if that is the plan, it's good she's starting so soon.
If, however, the plan is for her to have a "normal' life devoid of royal duties, then hopefully occasions like this will be rare.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
I agree there are a lot of working royals right now, but most of those royals are a generation or two older; in a couple of decades, most of them might have to scale down their official roles. That would effectively leave William, Kate, Harry and Harry's future wife as the working royals of their generation. Taking that into consideration, Beatrice might well become a full-time working royal in future; if that is the plan, it's good she's starting so soon.
If, however, the plan is for her to have a "normal' life devoid of royal duties, then hopefully occasions like this will be rare.
IMO, she may be required at some distant point in the future, say 15 years from now, when the Wessex couple, Andrew and Anne want to retire. Till then she should be free to live a normal life. who knows what the world looks like then.

I really do not thing the British public want to see more "minor" royals. Have a look at the comments on the DM website under the story about Bea's appearance at the Maundy service to illustrate my point.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Totally disagree.

Of course I realise the York connection however this is an event that in my lifetime at least the Queen and DofE have done alone so its not as if the Kents of Gloucesters appear when they are in those areas. This just seems to me as if Beatrice wanted to be involved in some duties so they chose on this probably because it has a link to York.
I'm not saying Beatrice can't make appearance and of course this was not a solo engagement but at a time when there is much debate about the future roles of the York Princesses its imperative the Palace sets the right message. I really do believe from what we've seen in the past that mixing public engagements and a "private life" does not work, either you are a full time royal or your not. Kate and William are different as they will be King & Queen one day so there was never any way in which they would lead a private life with jobs etc in the way the York girls may have to.
I like Beatrice and I think she is a kind, warm person so this is not a personal attack its saying that people around her need to think carefully about what her life holds for her and put her in the best position to lead that life. Of course they will always appear at Trooping the Colour, Sandringham Christmas etc but engagements such as this or solo engagements are a different matter.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:17 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Till then she should be free to live a normal life. who knows what the world looks like then.
You're right, but she should not be stopped from attending royal events with her parent or grandparents.

Quote:
Have a look at the comments on the DM website under the story about Bea's appearance at the Maundy service to illustrate my point.
Oh yes because the readers who comment on DM articles reflect the public mood.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:

Oh yes because the readers who comment on DM articles reflect the public mood.
i don't think anyone thinks that for a minute!
Old 04-05-2012, 01:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
IMO, she may be required at some distant point in the future, say 15 years from now, when the Wessex couple, Andrew and Anne want to retire. Till then she should be free to live a normal life. who knows what the world looks like then.

I really do not thing the British public want to see more "minor" royals. Have a look at the comments on the DM website under the story about Bea's appearance at the Maundy service to illustrate my point.
I don't think those you have mentioned when retire, as Princess Alexandra and The Duke of Kent are still going strong in their 70's. I don't think when we have a King Charles, Beatrice and Eugenie will have a chance to do any engagements. We all know Charles wants to slim down the family, hence why Louise and James aren't HRH. (I know Edward chose to have their kids not styled as HRH, but I can see Charles having had something to do with it.) With this slimmed down family, there wont likely be room for the Yorks to do any work. William and Harry's kids will be helping out as Andrew, Anne, Edward and Sophie age.

I hope the York girls can get jobs and lead normal lives, whether they are Princesses or not. They are human beings after all, if they want to get a job and there is one available, I see no reason why they can't be able to. The reason it didn't work for the Wessex couple is they tried to work AND do Royal engagements, among other things. If the Yorks can just solely work as regulars then they should be successful. Any company who has one of the Queen's grandchildren as part of their crew would be onto a winner!
Old 04-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think this whole 'Charles wants to slim down the family' has become a bit of an urban myth. We don't honestly know if that is his intention, or if it will be his intention when he finally accedes the throne.

I do feel, however, that Beatrice and Eugenie should live their own lives, attending the Trooping/Remembrance Sunday etc. if they want while perhaps having a handful of charities that they support. If I were them I wouldn't even try to make a career as a full time royal. I just wouldn't want the continual carping that we already see about the cost to the taxpayer of the bodyguards, the cars, the helicopter rides and so on. No matter what these girls would do as full time royals they'd still be accused of clinging onto the royal lifestyle. The only reason this kind of comment doesn't happen with the Gloucesters, Kents etc. is that the vast majority of Brits don't know they even perform royal duties. The Duke of Gloucester, as dedicated and hard working as he is, could walk down Oxford Street and no one would know who he was.

It won't be easy for them to find employment here, and it's likely they'll suffer much the same press interference in their jobs as Sophie did. So, if I were advising them, I'd say if they can live to their desired standard from the income they derive from their trust funds, they should volunteer their time in a charity or good cause full time. If they can't, I'd encourage them to work abroad in the US or Hong Kong, or on the Continent, where they'll be able to get a job and do it without having the British press continually going on about how they only got the job because of who they are, or is their employer trying to 'take advantage' of having a royal on the payroll? Because, let's say for example, Princess Beatrice is working for a London bank (unlikely I know) and is attending some work event put on for prospective customers. Someone overhears her talking about how she spent last weekend with her cousin William and his wife in Balmoral. That's an entirely innocent conversation. But the British press will trip over themselves to accuse her, and her employer, of trying to profit from her royal connections. To me, that's just not worth it. So, I'd work abroad.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, there will always be complaints about commercial activities by members of the BRF, even if it is by members not financially supported by the crown and not undertaking official engagements. When Richard Gloucester was a practicing architect, and not a working role, there were complaints that his firm was getting clients based on him being a royal. It doesnt matter if the complaints are based on facts, people will still complain and some elements in the press will still write about it.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Peter Phillips has been lucky so far, he's not well known as a royal, and he's been principally employed by RBS in Hong Kong, which is far enough away from the British press. We'll see what happens now he's unemployed and presumably seeking employment.

Prince Friso was able to work here in the UK completely freely because he had no profile here. Beatrice or Eugenie could head to Hong Kong or Singapore or LA and enjoy much the same freedom.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Peter Phillips has been lucky so far, he's not well known as a royal, and he's been principally employed by RBS in Hong Kong, which is far enough away from the British press. We'll see what happens now he's unemployed and presumably seeking employment.

Prince Friso was able to work here in the UK completely freely because he had no profile here. Beatrice or Eugenie could head to Hong Kong or Singapore or LA and enjoy much the same freedom.
I agree about Peter Phillips and that highlights my biggest concern. Peter and Zara were almost always kept away from the press as much as possible thus when they became adults they were able to move with relative ease to full time"normal" jobs. Personally I feel at times that its almost as if some people are trying to put the Princesses into such a position whereby their public profile makes being a full time royal the only option for them.

Tags
career, education, princess beatrice, princess eugenie, royal duties, social life, styles and titles