The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-29-2011, 07:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
But so far it's been one very long holiday and soon she will be showing up on the ski fields. So it looks if she is going to do something it probably won't happen till February. Not exactly going out of her way and I think this kind of thing feeds the negative stories and probably verifies to Charles he has done the right thing. Fergie usually tags along too so we will get the family pictures of them all having a first class holiday, I can already see the headlines that is going to make.

It would be smarter to cancel the ski holiday, as William and Kate did.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:51 PM
Majesty

Why should they cancel? Just because William and Kate did doesn't mean that others have to do so.

William is the future King. Beatrice and Eugenie are peripheral royals who have been told they aren't needed - so they are totally free to go their own way and do their won thing - and if they wish to ski, spend their time on luxury holidays etc they are free to do so. That is the difference between the 2nd in line and the 5th and 6th - the freedom to do their own thing compared to having to do the right thing all the time.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:43 PM
Serene Highness

I find all of this speculation very interesting. But really, all it is is speculation. Regardless of what may or may not have been announced publicly, no one really truly knows what's going on behind palace doors, or in the minds of those "senior" royals who will be, or have already been, making decisions on the future of the BRF. Alot of things can change once Charles ascends the throne. Alot of things can change w/in the RF before that. Socially, royal or not, they are a family and will always be one, so attendance at family events won't probably change too much. At least not right away.
As for royal duties and who will be doing what, I guess we'll all just have to wait and see. But I do think change is inevitable, whatever that means. I'm just enjoying how things are now and can't worry too much about what might or might not happen in what could prove to be years down the road. But everyone's insight here is enjoyable.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
It would be smarter to cancel the ski holiday, as William and Kate did.
Harry didn't! He just flew budget but I am betting, security being an issue (like it or not) that he won't be staying in a Youth Hostel or any other such cheap accommodation. I also have a sneaking suspicion that what he chooses to imbibe for New Year's Eve will not be $5.99 el cheapo beer!

But that is Harry. Beatrice must be seen to give up the her holiday to "prove" she is a worthwhile human being! Pity no one bothered to set the same benchmark for William and Harry!

Beatrice is in a no win situation. If she gets a job she'll be panned for;

a. Taking a job off someone who really needs it, or

b. Accused of getting the job because of who she is instead of her qualifications, and

c. Accused of shamelessly using her Royal Connections to advance whoever employed her, which is why (of course) they employed her in the first place.

And, if she does not get a job she is dismissed as totally worthless!

As to why no one has seen her do any charity work, etc. I am betting Beatrice doing such work is not "News", just as much of the Queen's, Prince Philip's,The Princess Royal's, Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall's engagements, are largely overlooked and under reported.

I have to admit I find the unremitting condemnation being heaped on this young woman unfair, mean spirited and just plain nasty.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:21 AM
Majesty

Well said Marg.

A young woman finishes uni and still is trying to make her mind what to do.

Big deal - my neice finished uni over a year ago - still hasn't even tried for a job in the area in which she trained, will try to do some casual work this upcoming year and then go to Europe for a year.

So she will be nearly 26 before she settles down to a full-time job. My brother is basically supporting her although she does have a part-time job at Maccas that she has had since she was 16. He isn't in Andrew or the Queen's league as far as money goes but he can still support her and let her do things that he and I never had the chance to do.

I know my personal family stories don't interest people but it is to illustrate a point - that not everyone goes straight from uni to work but some can take the time to find what they want to do.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:26 AM
Aristocracy

In defense of Harry...he has a job...he can afford to pay for whatever he chooses to drink.

At the moment, it does not appear that the BRF have any plans on making Beatrice a working royal. If that is the case, then what she does is nobody's business but hers.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:10 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Speaking of charities, does anyone know what charity Beatrice and Eugenie prefer? Besides their mothers' I mean. As an example, Prince William is very close to Centrepoint and Prince Harry Sentebale. I don't know that I've ever seen the two Princesses actually zone in on one favorite charity. Please correct me if i am wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Beatrice supported Children in Crisis and UNICEF with her hat and with the Marathon.
Children in Crisis is Sarah's charity - p. 40 has the financials, btw, http://www.childrenincrisis.org/site...-%20Signed.pdf

I can't find any info. on Beatrice running a marathon this year - has she run in one since the 2010 marathon?
Old 12-30-2011, 01:51 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
Children in Crisis is Sarah's charity - p. 40 has the financials, btw, http://www.childrenincrisis.org/site...-%20Signed.pdf

I can't find any info. on Beatrice running a marathon this year - has she run in one since the 2010 marathon?

She didn't do it this year only in 2010 but she still did it and raised money for charity.

Yes Children in Crisis is the charity that Sarah is involved with - which is why it is a charity of interest to Beatrice. Regardless of what the charity is she has shown an interest.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Ah, but it seems that any Charity that Sarah is involved in and that Beatrice and Eugenie participate in with her, "doesn't count"! Somehow it's not considered a proper Charity and they are not doing proper Charity work!

Go figure!!!
Old 12-30-2011, 03:59 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Ah, but it seems that any Charity that Sarah is involved in and that Beatrice and Eugenie participate in with her, "doesn't count"! Somehow it's not considered a proper Charity and they are not doing proper Charity work!

Go figure!!!

Sadly that's true and this is a very find charity that does a lot of good work - but to some people its associate with Sarah means it can't be any good.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:26 PM
Nobility

Quote:

Yes Children in Crisis is the charity that Sarah is involved with -
It is not my intent to be critical - but to be accurate, Sarah founded Children in Crisis in 1993, and is it's lifetime president- which is more than just 'involved with' in my mind. UNICEF, the other charity receiving money from Beatrice's hat auction has no connection with Sarah, as far as I know.
According to this website
Princess Beatrice's Charity Work, Events and Causes
Princess Beatrice supports 4 charities. The Elephant one looked cool to me (my type of cause.)
Old 12-30-2011, 05:37 PM
Serene Highness

People have been pretty hard on the boys in the past - especially Harry. I don't think it's so gender specific. But, this goes with the territory of being royal - and always has. Further, since monarchy requires a line of succession and they can't all ascend the throne, it necessarily means that some characters are more peripheral in the play.

Peripheral characters are scrutinized differently in any piece - whether drama or history. Hopefully, the princesses have been prepared (by their family, especially their parents and grandparents) for this eventuality.

AFAIK, the only "firm" sense we have of the contraction of the British monarchy are the public records involving expenditures (by the public). The Royal List, for example, has been contracted. The family have responded by using their own resources for various activities - presumably "The Queen's" resources (that's what is usually said here).

Well, there's also the undercurrent played out by the princesses own father and mother (whose dealings in the past two or three years have come under intense public scrutiny, have they not?) This too plays a role in how the princesses are seen.

But to pretend that people can be both royal and treated as all the rest of us are treated is a stretch...there have to be some differences. It's possible that Beatrice and Eugenie will grow more and more private (they will have to learn how to do that, as any celebrity does), and that may be to their benefit.

It is the structure of their own family and their own system, though, that both required them to be at a certain occasion and then required them to ask the Queen if they could be excused - the rest of us didn't impose that on them, that's their own world. It's similar, I suppose, to the requirement we had as kids (no longer imposed on the next generation btw) of asking my grandmother (or aunt or parent if the host was a different person) if we could be excused from the table. There is no way a kid could abandon eating their dinner or just wander off to play video games - we had to ask permission for many things. The very fact that we had to ask gave our elders authority over us and yes, our behavior was scrutinized...
Old 12-30-2011, 06:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post

Go figure!!!

I would count it, if Sarah was involved out of the goodness of her heart.

But we've discussed this before; I do think it's far less praiseworthy when someone receives financial remuneration for charity work, instead of giving time and effort gratis!
(In fact, I don't see it's praiseworthy at all, since the charity work turns into just another source of income).

While the York girls having every right to go on vacation, they did just get back from Necker Island.
The press will immediately inflame the public with talk about the cost, since no matter what they are told, the public still believes the funding for all this comes from the taxpayers.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:31 PM
Majesty

Sarah doesn't get any remuneration for her work with Children in Crisis. She also set up the charity - to help kids. If you read the 2010-2011 Annual Financial Report on p. 46 there is the following statement The trustees did not receive any remuneration nor reimbursed expenses during the year (2010 - Nil). There entire report can be found here: http://www.childrenincrisis.org/site...-%20Signed.pdf Previous years are also able to be found here: Financial Information | Children in Crisis

There are a number of people whose jobs actually are to work for the charity - so you don't give any credit to the people who leave western countries with all their mod-cons to go and work in third world nations as teachers, nurses etc because they are employed by a charity.

That is what charities do - they employ people on the ground to do work but often they need to take them from first world countries to work as there are the qualified people in the country.

Others work voluntarily for the charity - in the first world country - to raise funds - this is what Sarah, and the royals do - raise the funds through dinners, balls, fetes, etc. The celebrity is there to raise the profile of the charity and to get other people to part with their hard won cash but that celebrity (whether royal or from the world of the arts or sport) doesn't get paid for their role although they may very well have contributed hours of time into the preparation e.g. my brother does after-dinner speeches and other activities based on his experience of having attended the last 7 Olumpics as a commentator (and many other great sports' events). He usually spends about 20 hours researching the charity or organisation and what they are going to use the money for. All he gets out of it is his dinner, and if he has to travel the costs of his travel and accommodation (although he usually then donates that back to the charity but the books need to show those expenses).
Old 12-31-2011, 03:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Sarah doesn't get any remuneration for her work with Children in Crisis. She also set up the charity - to help kids. If you read the 2010-2011 Annual Financial Report on p. 46 there is the following statement The trustees did not receive any remuneration nor reimbursed expenses during the year (2010 - Nil). There entire report can be found here: http://www.childrenincrisis.org/site...-%20Signed.pdf Previous years are also able to be found here: Financial Information | Children in Crisis

For some reason I cannot access the report, but isn't Sarah the Life President, not a trustee?
Old 01-01-2012, 08:24 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
For some reason I cannot access the report, but isn't Sarah the Life President, not a trustee?

I don't know why your can't open the link - I had no trouble using the link.

Yes Sarah is Life President.

There is no mention in the report of any payments to her either.

The only payments are to employees.

If you go to the Children in Crisis actual website there is a link from that to the financial statements for the last 5 or so years.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I don't know why your can't open the link - I had no trouble using the link.

Yes Sarah is Life President.

There is no mention in the report of any payments to her either.
I imagine any payments would be buried under administrative costs.
Judging by her previous actions, I simply don't believe she would do anything without some sort of payback. JMO.

I admit that it may be that I wrong her, and I don't mean to offend anyone.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:53 AM
Administrator

I am currently working on a Masters in Non Profit Management, and while its certainly possible to "hide" anything under the title administrative costs" its highly unlikely for a couple of reasons:

1) As a result of the economic downturn many charities are seeing a slight rise in donations after previous declines for the past two years. They are also in higher demand because more people are suffering. Simply put less money more customers
2) Charities (at least in the US) are required to have their finances done by a legit CPA's. Considering the nasty issues with corporations and the accounting firms that have gone under because of them (see Arthur Andersen and any firm connected with Worldcom, etc.). No legit company is going to sign off on dubious records. They are going to want an itemized list of these administrative costs.
3) Charities are held to a higher standard in the past because it doesn't look good when administrative costs or salaries paid out are larger than the money used to actually help people.
4) Like restuarants, hotels, etc...charities are also rated based on their finances and the work they do. The higher you are rated by Charity Navigator (and others like it) the higher standing you might have with the public. As a result of previous scandals, organizations such as the United Way and others have seen their donations decline as the public trust in the work that have done has declined.

So its highly unlikely that Sarah is getting paid under the table.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:42 PM
Nobility

Zonk - I'm no accountant (my graduate degree is in a different field) but I do know that, for example, lunch or dinner meetings to 'discuss' projects are often written off as expenses in the private sector, as is travel and hotel stays to plan and attend events relating to business - I assume that these costs for Sarah and her daughters would be paid for by her charity and entered in the category of costs of fund raising or the like rather than administrative costs.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:00 AM
Administrator

Even if any costs associated with travel and hotel stays are in the fund raising column as opposed to administrative costs, any and all charity events (i.e. galas) need to show a profit (or at least have corporate sponsors to underwrite the event). Basically any and all gala events cost a lot of money and need to make a lot of money. That's why charities traditionally have this type of event once or twice a year. The bread and butter (at least for the US charities) are the individual donors.

In addition, if Sarah (or Beatrice/Eugenie to get back on thread topic) serves on the Board of Directors ---- typically most Boards meet once or twice a year. Subcomittees tend to meet more often, and with the age of technology ---- a lot of Boards do conference (video and telephone) to cut costs.

So again, while it is certainly possible that Beatrice and Eugenie (and Sarah) have had some of their costs covered by the charities --- the possiblity is slim that they (especially since none of them hold positions of power within the organizations to authorize expenditures --- that said charity is financing an affluent lifestyle (which was somewhat inferred).

Tags
career, education, princess beatrice, princess eugenie, royal duties, social life, styles and titles