The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-21-2011, 04:27 PM
Courtier

If people in the BRF are really looking to Chelsea Clinton as a comparison--as the article states, then that is really dumb. Chelsea ended up in a career in finance, which was high-paying and fit with her top-tier education at Stanford. Beatrice and Eugenie aren't even on that level, education-wise, and their degrees would never net them a huge salary to live as they are accustomed. They have their titles and they are just going to have to fit into the family in some way, unless they marry wealthy men and just do charity work.

It's looking increasingly foolish that someone like Beatrice isn't being used far more, especially since William and Harry are tied up.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
If people in the BRF are really looking to Chelsea Clinton as a comparison--as the article states, then that is really dumb.
It's comparing apples and oranges.
Unless the name is Kennedy, children of a president will fade into obscurity the moment he leaves office.
How often are the Bush girls or the Fords in the media? Very rarely.
(I couldn't even say what the names of Obama's daughters are).

But the Queen doesn't leave office.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Children of the President, in opposite to Children of the Monarch, are private persons.
Obama girls' names are Malia and Natasha.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:10 PM
Aristocracy

No, they're Malia and Sasha.

I daresay, the minor-aged children of a President are more known to the general public - think the Nixons, Amy Carter, Chelsea Clinton, the Bush twins, and now the Obama girls. When the children are already adults with their own lives, careers and families, they are pretty much left alone by the media. They're treated like a President's siblings or parents and are not going to be in the media spotlight unless they themselves are noteworthy... Think President Obama's brother-in-law, who is the Head Coach of the Oregon State men's basketball team. Robinson is interviewed on a regular basis but that comes with the job and while there are some occasional articles here and there that ask about Obama, they're generally few and far between because it has nothing to do with his job. But the rest of Obama's relatives and in-laws? Couldn't name them if I tried. And the only reason I know about Robinson is because I happen to live in Oregon, lol.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Sasha is short for Natasha, which is her given name.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:40 PM
Courtier

Sasha is the nickname of Natasha, her full name is Natasha Obama. Her family just calls her Sasha the same way HRH Prince Henry is always Prince Harry.

The Bush twins were only more known to the public because of their own actions while Chelsea Clinton and Amy Carter were at an age where were pounded on by the press for going through a normal ugly duckling phase and having no interest in official occasions at the White House respectively.

The Nixon girls were the same ages as the Johnson girls when their fathers were president and the two reasons why Tricia and Julie are known more are: the Checkers speech when they were children and Tricia's wedding at the White House.

When it comes to the president, he (hopefully she one day) is the only one that matters, his family is not a part of the presidential "firm" so to speak. That is not the same in a royal family. As has been mentioned before, Beatrice will almost certainly be a Counsellor of State during the early years of Charles' reign. That means something and I think it would be a very diplomatic compromise if Beatrice were given the chance to participate more in royal activities and have Eugenie be given more freedom in finding her own job.

Just MHO
Old 11-22-2011, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Okay...lets move on from US Presidential children.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:51 AM
Serene Highness

The Chicago Sun-Times is reporting that Prince Charles dislikes the York girls' taste and has mocked them, according to the reporter's "usually reliable" source. In fact, the headline says Charles called them 'twits.'

Many apologies if this story has already been discussed (I got bogged down in reading about the presidential children and didn't see any mention of it right away):

prince-charles-mocks-eugenie-and-beatrice-as-twits.html
Old 11-23-2011, 01:16 AM
Aristocracy

There has been a lot of discussion about how Beatrice should become a working royal and it is probably correct that is what the Duke of York wants for her. But is that what Beatrice wants? At the moment she really does have a very nice life. She can travel when she wants, attend the social and charitable events of her choice, has a wealthy boyfriend. And has the freedom, within limits, to live her life as she chooses.

Does Beatrice really want to give that freedom up? Royal events are planned a long time in advance. It's probably often pretending to be interested in something that completely bores you, making small-talk with people that you don't know, smiling like you're having a wonderful time even if you are freezing cold and your feet hurt. Sarah never cared for being a working royal...it may not appeal to Beatrice either.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:22 AM
Heir Apparent

If the story is true, it puts the Princesses' Uncle Charles in a very bad light. Really, from the comments they've said on camera, they really don't seem like twits at all.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
If the story is true, it puts the Princesses' Uncle Charles in a very bad light. Really, from the comments they've said on camera, they really don't seem like twits at all.
Does it really? Not that we can verify the veracity of the purported statement, but even if Charles did make the comment, he probably has a lo tmore to base his opinion on than either the Press or any of us who do not really know the York girls intimately.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:25 PM
Heir Apparent

I am sure they are using the same sources that have told InTouch and Us Magazine that the Duchess of Cambridge is preggers. . .
Old 11-23-2011, 03:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

The "rift" between the brothers has been going on for some time now. It could be Andrew is the "usually reliable" source and is using his daughters as a wedge.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:57 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^^
Or possibly his ex-wife
Old 11-23-2011, 04:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Goes without saying, but Andrew is the bitter one of that duo, don't you think? What with all the stir he caused with his "job."
Old 11-23-2011, 04:14 PM
Serene Highness

I doubt that a Pulitzer-prize winning newspaper is using the same "usually reliable" sources as US magazine.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Regarding the article with Prince Charles referring to the girls as twits, we can likely take it with a pinch of salt. We know the Royal brothers do not always necessarily get along, and during certain periods of their life have had rifts with each other. I don't, however, think Charles would call his nieces "twits" in public to members of the press. I could be wrong in thinking that though...
Old 11-23-2011, 05:22 PM
Gentry

I don't know about Charles calling them twits, but I wouldn't be surprise to find that some other royals look down at Beatrice and Eugenie. They seem vulnerable to mocking and it's not necessarily their fault
Old 11-23-2011, 06:26 PM
Gentry

The article about Charles and the York Princesses is all gossip at this point, most unfortunate given the upcoming Diamond Jubilee.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:53 PM
Serene Highness

Charles didn't, according to the article, speak directly to any member of the press, much less "members of the press," plural. Instead, he said it within the hearing of a well-place source, who then talked to one reporter at the Chicago newspaper.

Tags
career, education, princess beatrice, princess eugenie, royal duties, social life, styles and titles