The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-06-2011, 05:18 PM
Royal Highness

Well Beatrice looks polished and very elegant here. I have high hopes that she will use her connections well and perhaps take on a few patronages in the future, but she is still young and I think she should be given some space to decide what she wants to do.( I personally don't see marriage on the cards just yet).

Old 10-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Courtier

Beatrice finished her course in May she got the Degree in July so that is over 4 months to decide what to do. Which is a long holiday for anyone. BP has said she will be doing internships but so far nothing has started and eventually will get some sort of job in a charity maybe. As long as she is being seen out and about at parties and fashion shows and holidays without something more substantial like a job then the press is going to start questioning. BP has said they will not be working Royals so they will need to get jobs. It seems so fuzzy because it's hard to work out how so few will be able to do so many engagements. But Charles is said to want things streamlined and doesn't want the burden of supporting anymore working Royals and it is him who would be paying Bea and Eugenie in the end. Bea should start one of her many internships she is supposed to have lined up at least she will be seen as doing something useful her having such a good education means the press will expect more out of her. Marrying Dave looks a couple of years away at least. The more Bea is seen out and about all dressed up with nothing to do the more harsh the press will become. I read that story it seemed they spoke to Bea's security guard and not Bea I can't imagine she would be so rude!

Old 10-06-2011, 08:52 PM
Administrator

There are plenty of people who graduated from university/college and haven't gotten a job right away. Lest anyway forgets...jobs are hard to come by for some right now.

So Beatrice gets a job and is accused by the masses (let's not act like we don't know how a lot of Daily Mailers think) of stealing someone's job because she is well off and surely she doesn't really need to work. She doesn't get a job and is accused of living a jet set life style. Guess what...she isn't normal, she doesn't have to work for a living...I would imagine she could live off the interest of her trust funds alone. I do agree that she needs to do something worthwhile with her life, but frankly as long as future Queen of England isn't doing royal engagements on a regular....I don't see why Beatrice should be held to a higher standard.

And frankly, its only been four months.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Apparently a week isn't a long time only in politics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Old 10-06-2011, 11:34 PM
Courtier

I really don't have any "advice" for what Princess Bea could do. While I agree that there are a lot of minefields among her choices, the fact is that she really has a lot more choices (if not necessarily a lot of freedom) than the average new graduate.

I will say that I thought that the red gown she was wearing made her look just stunning. Round of applause.

ETA: I read the article. The picture of Bea made me look twice, three times. First time, I looked and said, good Lord, she looks just like Andrew. Second look - good Lord, she looks just like Sarah. Third look - good Lord, she looks just like Queen Victoria.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:36 PM
Serene Highness

Good point about the job-stealing. Things are tough out there. Her situation is complex. Even a non-paying internship in an interesting field will be fiercely competed over and she has a certain kind of advantage.

I think, though, that someone somewhere will make a job just for her, and various persons/forces will probably be involved in its creation. I agree that her doing some volunteer work (not necessarily "charity" work) would be a good next step, and I hope she's mulling it over.

I can't imagine a life without some kind of meaningful work, though, so perhaps I have a class bias. If indeed she is happy going to fashion shows, clubs, and hanging out with friends until the eventual wedding with the boyfriend, then that's she'll likely do.

What's the boyfriend's job?
Old 10-06-2011, 11:46 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
What's the boyfriend's job?
Works for Richard Branson, I believe.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:49 PM
Heir Apparent

I think he's involved in selling Branson's recreational space travel.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:52 PM
Heir Apparent

You're thinking of hands-on work for a charity rather than showing up at charities and shaking hands and unveiling plaques and so on? I think of volunteerism as similar to "charity work" in that the person is doing the job out of concern for the aims of the charity/institution and not for financial benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
I agree that her doing some volunteer work (not necessarily "charity" work) would be a good next step, and I hope she's mulling it over.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:00 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
You're thinking of hands-on work for a charity rather than showing up at charities and shaking hands and unveiling plaques and so on? I think of volunteerism as similar to "charity work" in that the person is doing the job out of concern for the aims of the charity/institution and not for financial benefit.
I've heard an interesting term in the areas in which I participate: fauxlunteer. It's where someone is a volunteer who does no work and only associates with the more "popular" charities, out of self-interest rather than a desire to serve. It's starting to become an issue as winter fundraising events are being planned and finalized down here on the sunny Gold Coast of Florida.

I'd love to see Bea mix genuine charity work including being the marquee-name draw for fundraising events, and not along the lines of a fauxlunteer.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Oh yes, definitely! The British like to see their Royals "earning their keep" as much as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPretender View Post
I'd love to see Bea mix genuine charity work including being the marquee-name draw for fundraising events, and not along the lines of a fauxlunteer.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
There are plenty of people who graduated from university/college and haven't gotten a job right away. Lest anyway forgets...jobs are hard to come by for some right now.

. . . . . . . . . I do agree that she needs to do something worthwhile with her life, but frankly as long as future Queen of England isn't doing royal engagements on a regular....I don't see why Beatrice should be held to a higher standard.

You raise a very good point. It has only been four months and, for a future Queen, how many years before she . . . . . .

Fair's fair! I think it's time that people laid off Beatice, as she is entitled to do as little as she pleases. So many people have taken great pleasure in repeating, ad nauseum, that for reasons beyond our comprehension Charles, or BP, doesn't want them working for the "firm" That being the case, the choices are hers. So if she wants to live a life of unfettered leisure, what's it to us? Is it our business?

So, we want to complain that her (Neanderthal) minder, more used to dealing with "celebrities" rather than royalty, was incredibly rude and disrespectful to Thai Princess Sirivannavari ? Well, Protection Officers are pretty sharp at navigating diplomatic waters and if this is a problem guess whose fault it isn't . . . . . Beatrice's, who by all reports is a very polite young woman.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:38 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock221B View Post
Have you got any suggestions for HRH Princess Beatrice Elizabeth Mary of York, the 23-year old 2:1 degree recipient in history and the history of ideas from Goldsmiths College less than two months ago?
Is there any reason you use her full name, age and degree? This is a thread about Princess Beatrice, so people posting are probably going to know who she is.
I suggest she actually does some work like I said in my first post.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:48 AM
Aristocracy

One of the King of Spain's sisters trained as a nurse and worked in a hospital. The other took a course in childcare and worked as a volunteer in a nursery that cared for poor children, and it was definitely a hands on nappy changing work. I am sure other royals have done something useful with their lives and others haven't.
By the way I think that Sherlock is quite in his/her right to give the Princess her full name, some wouldn't but it is a choice and not incorrect and not all people can be as knowledgeable as others seem to think they are.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:23 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Is there any reason you use her full name, age and degree? This is a thread about Princess Beatrice, so people posting are probably going to know who she is.
I suggest she actually does some work like I said in my first post.

You have been asked for suggestions - do you have any??
Old 10-07-2011, 05:25 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
You have been asked for suggestions - do you have any??
I suggested doing work for the family she belongs to. Or do you guys want me to provide names of charities and organisations she can work for and hospitals she can open?

She's got a degree in History and History of Art but shows no signs of actually using it, yes she's only been out of uni for 4 months but graduates are encouraged and helped to find work at the start of their third year which was last september for Beatrice. If she doesn't want to put her degree to good use then I suggest she start work for some charitable organisations, perhaps arrange dinners, fundraisers, charity events and the like.

People have said that Catherine isn't doing anything so why should Beatrice? Well I think both Catherine and Beatrice should be doing something, Catherine is apparently doing something contrary to reports she wants a quiet country life.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:19 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist View Post
Whilst I have not got a shred of evidence to back this up, I feel that the reason for the apparently hostility to the York princesses taking up royal duties has in its roots the various 'difficulties' that have beset their mother.. And look, the current crop of Royals are getting no younger and many of whom are either approaching pensionable age or have been of pensionable age for some years. Thus, there really needs to be someone who can take over Royal duties.....

I therefore think that if Beatrice is going to have Royal duties, then the position needs to be clarified and confirmed asap.

ITA!
It has long been speculated that Charles intends to streamline the BRF once he succeeds.
But demand for royal patronage is, if anything, on the increase. Someone has to take up the slack, and really Beatrice is the only royal available!

The Kents, the Gloucesters, Princess Alexandra, even Princess Anne is approaching retirement age; Andrew has a cloud over him, William and Harry are both trying to maintain military careers.

IMO, there would be no doubt about this if it were not for Fergie. Her antics have been so damaging to her daughters that, though no fault of their own, they are seen in a negative light when it comes to fulfilling engagements with grace and dignity.

But I hope Beatrice is given a chance, because the need is there, and I think she'd rise to the occasion and be a credit to the BRF.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:37 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree. I think that the "powers that be" are nervous that Sarah might tag along or involve herself in some other way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
IMO, there would be no doubt about this if it were not for Fergie. Her antics have been so damaging to her daughters that, though no fault of their own, they are seen in a negative light when it comes to fulfilling engagements with grace and dignity.

But I hope Beatrice is given a chance, because the need is there, and I think she'd rise to the occasion and be a credit to the BRF.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:42 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I agree. I think that the "powers that be" are nervous that Sarah might tag along or involve herself in some other way.
Depending on how much Beatrice wants it it might be part of the deal that she not have an "accessory" with her.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Please note that posts regarding the security of Beatrice and Eugenie have been moved to Royal Security .

Thanks!

Zonk

Tags
career, education, princess beatrice, princess eugenie, royal duties, social life, styles and titles