The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-08-2011, 03:49 PM
Aristocracy

I am a staunch royalist and even I think it would be ridiculous to have the York girls on the royal payroll....

Times have drastically changed and the Royal Family is not needed to do as much as it used to in the past and the ones that are working for the firm need to do a lot more “work” than what their ancestors got by on

The "working" Royal Family needs to be scaled back to just the Sovereign, their spouse and their offspring and the offspring of the heir. This group of people will provide enough coverage for the duties they have to perform and should be financially maintained by the sovereign from monies they receive from the tax-payer.

Given that Anne, Andrew, Edward and Sophie will continue to work for the firm for the next several decades, there is no need to have Beatrice and Eugenie do any more than be present at the biggest occasions in the Royal Calendar-trooping of the colour etc.

Harry will eventually have to take on Royal duties along with his future spouse because as his uncles and aunts get older there will be a need to have someone shoulder some of their responsibilities. Even his offspring will have to work outside the firm (unless for whatever reason William has no offspring of his own)

In short, the time of where everyone born into the family was destined for a life of public service on the sovereign’s payroll is gone......

Old 05-08-2011, 09:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHofNothing View Post
I am a staunch royalist and even I think it would be ridiculous to have the York girls on the royal payroll....

Times have drastically changed and the Royal Family is not needed to do as much as it used to in the past and the ones that are working for the firm need to do a lot more “work” than what their ancestors got by on

The "working" Royal Family needs to be scaled back to just the Sovereign, their spouse and their offspring and the offspring of the heir. This group of people will provide enough coverage for the duties they have to perform and should be financially maintained by the sovereign from monies they receive from the tax-payer.

Given that Anne, Andrew, Edward and Sophie will continue to work for the firm for the next several decades, there is no need to have Beatrice and Eugenie do any more than be present at the biggest occasions in the Royal Calendar-trooping of the colour etc.

Harry will eventually have to take on Royal duties along with his future spouse because as his uncles and aunts get older there will be a need to have someone shoulder some of their responsibilities. Even his offspring will have to work outside the firm (unless for whatever reason William has no offspring of his own)

In short, the time of where everyone born into the family was destined for a life of public service on the sovereign’s payroll is gone......
I think you summed it up very well. Eventually a choice will have to be made about who "stays" and who "goes". I will say that I think the girls should either work for the family or work privately. If the experiences of the Wessex family is any indication then the half-way routine does not work very well.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:57 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver_bic View Post
Part of that will come from the shrinking of the commonwealth. Australia's got a strong republican movement and it seems that Canada is leaning to no crown after Elizabeth passes. With less countries to visit comes less opportunities for the rest of the royals, the family will be like all the others. Monarch and their family nothing else.

The Commonwealth isn't shrinking - it is actually increasing with more countries asking to join. If Australia or Canada or any of the other realms do become republics there is no reason to assume that they won't remain in the Commonwealth. The vast majority of member nations of the Commonwealth are republics now and get regular visits from the royal family.

The republican movements within some of the Queen's realms will have little or no bearing on the visits royals make to those countries. The monarch and their representatives will still be invited to visit these countries. The Queen makes more visits to non-Commonwealth counties than she does to Commonwealth ones most years as do Charles and the rest of the royals.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:05 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHofNothing View Post

Currently there are 15 working royals - The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh, The Prince of Wales, The Duchess of Cornwall, The Duke of Cambridge, The Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Harry of Wales, The Duke of York, The Earl of Wessex, The Countess of Wessex, The Princess Royal, The Duke of Gloucester, Then Duchess of Gloucester, The Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra. They perform about 3,000 engagements a year or an average of 200 each or fewer than 1 per normal working day.

I realise that many of them are elderly but offsetting that The Duke of Cambridge, The Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry do very very few but in time will increase to 500+ per year. Of course Harry may take decades or more to get to that number as he pursues his military career and I can see him staying in the military until 50 or even 60 - depending on how good he actually is.

Cutting back the number of younger royals doing the work means that fewer organisations will have a royal as a patron and fewer organisations will have royals opening things but who needs a royal do to something - the local MP can do it surely?
Old 05-09-2011, 12:25 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Currently there are 15 working royals - The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh, The Prince of Wales, The Duchess of Cornwall, The Duke of Cambridge, The Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Harry of Wales, The Duke of York, The Earl of Wessex, The Countess of Wessex, The Princess Royal, The Duke of Gloucester, Then Duchess of Gloucester, The Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra. They perform about 3,000 engagements a year or an average of 200 each or fewer than 1 per normal working day.

I realise that many of them are elderly but offsetting that The Duke of Cambridge, The Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry do very very few but in time will increase to 500+ per year. Of course Harry may take decades or more to get to that number as he pursues his military career and I can see him staying in the military until 50 or even 60 - depending on how good he actually is.

Cutting back the number of younger royals doing the work means that fewer organisations will have a royal as a patron and fewer organisations will have royals opening things but who needs a royal do to something - the local MP can do it surely?
Yes there are currently 15 working royals but only 6 of these 15 are really considered elderly. There will be another addition at some point of Prince Harry's spouse. That's 7 Royals to handle 3000 engagements a year-thats less than 500 engagements per Royal per year. If The Duke of Edinburugh can do that at 89, I am sure the rest are capable of doing the same.

By the time Anne, Andrew and the Wessexes need to scale back William and Harry should have children old enough to take on the workload; thus there is no need for the york girls to do any royal duties.

Given that Charles is not all that close to his siblings, I am sure he would not want to be financially responsible for his adult nephews and neices; so sooner or later the York girls will have to find their own way so might as well get started now.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Has this been already posted? I apologize if so.

Beatrice and Eugenie stripped of police protection after row over £50k cost | Mail Online
Old 05-09-2011, 02:51 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
No need to apologize, the discussion is in full swing here
Royal Security
Old 05-09-2011, 06:32 PM
Heir Apparent

The local MP is political, which I think would discourage people who didn't vote for the person from attending events. The whole point of having a Governor General or a constitutional monarch, as I see it, is that the person isn't involved in party politics.

Quote:
the local MP can do it surely?
Old 05-09-2011, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Interesting to note it was suggested a couple of years ago that any celebrity could do the same as a royal in regards to being a patron of a charity. But fame is fleeting.

I would think the same about a local MP. I am not sure how it is in the UK but its very common for people in the US not to know their local representatives in Congress much less their state legislatures.

So again, would you want an MP to be patron of your charity or someone who has royal connections?

Old 05-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Gentry

I would prefer a royal patron.
I agree that a political figure would not have the aura, history,
autonomy or magical appeal that the Royal Family exudes.

Once the Queen, Prince Phillip and the Queen's cousins become
too aged to perform their royal engagements the 'firm' could have space
for Beatrice and Eugenie. I think they should have that choice.
After all, Prince Charles does not have many children and Charles' first cousins
have chosen other fields of work, as have his in-laws (barring Sophie).
Peter and Zara Phillips are independently working.
Louise and James are too young and further removed from the throne.

Prince Harry and Prince William might continue to be heavily involved in the
forces ... only available part time for public appearances.
To maintain contact with any other career AND complete 220 royal engagements per year is a big ask.
That is one engagement per week day for eleven months of the year. An engagement takes preparation time and travel time to do sincerely and well. The public might demand and value even more appearances from the Royal Family as the population grows in number. I see a space for Beatrice or Eugenie to contribute if they choose.
It has yet to be seen whether Charles and Camilla will be blessed with as much good health
as the Queen and Prince Phillip. Prince Harry is not married and his future wife may prefer to
continue in another career and we have no idea whether William or Harry will be lucky
enough to have children of their own.
It would be worthwhile for the Royal Family to have Beatrice on board.
And she is not that far removed from the throne.
She needs to be prepared and up to speed with protocol and public speaking.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:38 PM
Serene Highness

A degree in history and history of ideas is not totally incompatible with a career in fashion, but being a teacher is much more consistent with that degree. I keep wondering what it is that Mr. Clark, her boyfriend, does for a living. Anyone know?
Old 05-09-2011, 10:16 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the Jungle View Post
Once the Queen, Prince Phillip and the Queen's cousins become
too aged to perform their royal engagements the 'firm' could have space
for Beatrice and Eugenie. I think they should have that choice.
After all, Prince Charles does not have many children and Charles' first cousins
have chosen other fields of work, as have his in-laws (barring Sophie).
Peter and Zara Phillips are independently working.
Louise and James are too young and further removed from the throne.

Prince Harry and Prince William might continue to be heavily involved in the
forces ... only available part time for public appearances.
To maintain contact with any other career AND complete 220 royal engagements per year is a big ask.
The only career that William has the luxury of maintaining is that of future monarch. If the Windsors are getting bad press now, they cannot begin to imagine the bad press if William as POW continues to have an army career and his wife continues to play housewife while being supported by monies from the Duchy of Cornwall and the monrach has to redistrbuite some of his civil list payments to pay for neices performing royal duties....
Old 05-09-2011, 10:19 PM
Aristocracy

When the DoE retires or passes on, Camilla will have to take on most of his duties-as spouse of the future King. Which means Catherine will take on a lot of Camilla's duties.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:18 PM
Heir Apparent

I hope these girls have careers.Not take on royal duties every year for the rest of their lives.If I were a royal I would get a job because,It will make me happy and,I wont feel bad about spending tax payer money on everything I have.I wonder how royals like Prince Carl Philip and Princess Madeleine feel about not working but still getting a check that comes out of the people.Yes I know they do charity but sometimes thats not enough.

Thats just my opinion.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:51 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Beatrice and Eugenie get no money from the taxpayer. If they get a job after university than that is fair enough, but they need to start doing royal duties at some point.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:10 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Beatrice and Eugenie get no money from the taxpayer. If they get a job after university than that is fair enough, but they need to start doing royal duties at some point.
If they don't start early I doubt they'll do it at all. Seems like the issue is (relatively) close to being solved so either they hit the ground running or don't race at all.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:42 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post

It has been reported as recently as last month that they have been told that they will not be doing royal duties.

If they aren't going to do it now - in their 20s - then it would be totally unfair to them to expect them to start doing it in their 40s after having had a satisfying career.

Either they spend their lives on royal duties or they spend their lives having their own careers and the lastest information is that it will be careers.

Charles has made it clear that he doesn't see a need for as many working royals as currently do that work and I see no reason for him to change his mind.

The Gloucesters and Kents will probably continue for another 10+ years each, with Charles' siblings having another 30+ years in them (maybe a few less for Anne). By then William's children should be entering the firm to take over from their great-aunts and great-uncles - thus no need for the York girls at all.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
It has been reported as recently as last month that they have been told that they will not be doing royal duties.

If they aren't going to do it now - in their 20s - then it would be totally unfair to them to expect them to start doing it in their 40s after having had a satisfying career.

Either they spend their lives on royal duties or they spend their lives having their own careers and the lastest information is that it will be careers.

Charles has made it clear that he doesn't see a need for as many working royals as currently do that work and I see no reason for him to change his mind.

The Gloucesters and Kents will probably continue for another 10+ years each, with Charles' siblings having another 30+ years in them (maybe a few less for Anne). By then William's children should be entering the firm to take over from their great-aunts and great-uncles - thus no need for the York girls at all.

I wonder if they will keep their princess titles after they marry?

I am glad to hear that they seem to be giving the girls some guidance as to their future. Also if the Queen decides not to help fund them then it will be hard for them to carryout royal duties. By that I mean that I have heard that Andrew, Edward, Anne and probably some others get some money from thee Queen's private account to help them out because they do not get accces to government money.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
I wonder if they will keep their princess titles after they marry?

I am glad to hear that they seem to be giving the girls some guidance as to their future. Also if the Queen decides not to help fund them then it will be hard for them to carryout royal duties. By that I mean that I have heard that Andrew, Edward, Anne and probably some others get some money from thee Queen's private account to help them out because they do not get accces to government money.
As they are princesses of the blood royal, I imagine that they will retain the title of Princess for their lifetime no matter who they end up marrying.

As far as the Queen's children and funding, I do believe that they are covered for any expenses related to the duties/engagements that they carry out for the crown. I imagine that for some reason either Beatrice and Eugenie do any kind of a royal duty, the same would apply to them.
It just seems likely that both girls are not to be expected to do any royal duties at all and should seek careers privately for themselves.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:33 PM
Majesty

Unless new LPs are issued restricting HRH to only the children of the eldest child of the monarch then there is no reason for them to lose the Princess title on marriage. Princess Akexandra, also a granddaughter of a monarch didn't.

That being said I can see Charles issuing such LPs.

Tags
career, education, princess beatrice, princess eugenie, royal duties, social life, styles and titles