The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-05-2010, 03:16 PM
Gentry

I say good on sarah!
If she can have her cake and eat it too.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

I get annoyed whenever the royals go on vacation or do anything non related to public duties and the public complains about wasting taxpayer money. They are not even using taxpayer money.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwbohm View Post
I say good on sarah!
If she can have her cake and eat it too.
Just cake for thought: Why not set an example for their children that Mummy can stand on her own two feet and doesn't need to mooch off HM let alone her ex husband??
Old 05-05-2010, 05:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Just cake for thought: Why not set an example for their children that Mummy can stand on her own two feet and doesn't need to mooch off HM let alone her ex husband??
Because except for a wedding right Andrew and Sarah are a couple and the girls know that.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Because except for a wedding right Andrew and Sarah are a couple and the girls know that.
I still disagree, I believe there is a lot more to this than we are privy to.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Upon what are you basing this conclusion?
Old 05-06-2010, 06:10 AM
Nobility

Quote:
That is the overall opinion but it doesn't change the fact that Sarah has failed repeatedly to get her life under control. I like her, I really do, but to sit there at her age, still unable to, apparently, find financial stability in her life is a serious issue.

It's not so much that she doesn't have the know how as it is the inability to maintain the reasonable lifestyle for someone in her tax bracket. She dreams too big and while crashing at 20 or 30 happens, at 50 it becomes a question of whether the person is taking the situation seriously.

The unfortunate thing is that she's tied to a man who has his own issue with unnecessary spending, the difference is that Andrew has access to money that has never yet run out and this all turns onto their daughters and whether they'll truly be able to carve themselves out a place in the world. Loving parents? Most definitely. But that doesn't excuse everything.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
...Royal but not royal. Not a bad kind of life.
Looked at it from Sarah's perspective, whats wrong with that?
Old 05-06-2010, 01:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver_bic View Post
...Sarah has failed repeatedly to get her life under control.
If you read the Starkie book, it gives a very good description as to how Sarah operates. She has so much potential and wastes it away. I am hoping that the Princesses are more solid, less quicksilver and will stick with something. Beatrice's marathon was good. Now if they could both carve some sort of niche in society and stand for something. Like adopt a regiment. They gave the Russian Grand Duchesses all their own regiments when they were children. I think that would be a good thing to bring back into play as HM's Christmas address stressed the BRF's committment to the troops.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Upon what are you basing this conclusion?
They share a house, refer to each other in loving terms, arrange parties for each other, holiday together etc.

In other words they do all the things married couples and de facto couple do together therefore I conclude they are a couple but no married to each other any more.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Like adopt a regiment. They gave the Russian Grand Duchesses all their own regiments when they were children.
Times have changed since the Russian Grand Duchesses were alive and giving regiments to children has long past into history.

Until the girls finish their education and decide on their futures they won't be given any royal activities officially so that they can enjoy these years - like William was able to do at St Andrews where he was able to party to his hearts content (or not as he felt) without criticism etc but because Beatrice chose a London university she is always being criticised.

I have some friends who live in St Andrews and they told me that William was regularly seen at local pubs, drunk etc but because of the press embargo and local requests it was never made public. They, and I believe that the same rights should be afforded Beatrice and Eugenie - namely they should only be reported if doing things with the royal family and not for anything they are doing on their private time - the same thing that was afforded William.

Beatrice has a year at least to go until she finished her degree and then, like William, will probably have a second gap year (Harry had nearly 2 years when coming out of school because he injured his knee and was delayed from entering Sandhurst until nearly two years after leaving school instead on the original planned about 18 months). I don't see why the girls aren't being given the same slack as the boys - but then again the Yorks are fair game because of their parents less than stella reputations while the boys can do no wrong because their mother died leaving them with a father many people despise and think is loony.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:05 AM
Commoner

I believe that they are still loved. The girls are criticized for the reputation of their parents. I didn´t know that William was regularly seen at local pubs, drunk etc while he is studied in University.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaelena View Post
I believe that they are still loved. The girls are criticized for the reputation of their parents. .
You are absolutely correct there. One would think the parents would clean it up as well. . . .
Old 05-07-2010, 06:15 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaelena View Post
I believe that they are still loved. The girls are criticized for the reputation of their parents. I didn´t know that William was regularly seen at local pubs, drunk etc while he is studied in University.

The reason why it isn't known is that the locals and the press didn't tell anyone and so it wasn't front page news at the time or since but my point is that the York girls aren't being given the same freedom at the same age and stage of life - university.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:51 PM
Nobility

Neither of them is the heir or the spare. On top of that the amount of money being dropped on their protection, which is considered pointless by more than a few people, makes them quality targets.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Heir Apparent

I suppose that one could call them the spares to the heir and the spare. If anything happens to William and Harry, they're next in line to the throne. That justifies their protection IMO.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:47 PM
Majesty

They are 5th and 6th in line. They are high profile granddaughters of the monarch. Their cousins are in the military flying helicopters, which have been knonw to crash just in training exercises let alone on active duty (and Harry at least wants to return to serving on the front line killing Taliban insurgents while the SAR isn't exactly the safest of activities either).

Beatrice will certainly serve as a Councillor of State (or at least be eligible to do so) and that means she will most probably at some point in her life be called upon to do the duties of the monarch. And relatives of the monarch are targets e.g. Anne's attempted kidnapping and Lord Mountbatten's assassination.

These girls are still at university and preparing for a life doing what we aren't sure yet but probably heavily involved as royal princesses.

If you think that 4th and 5th are a long way to the throne and they won't ever be involved you are probably right but Victoria was born 5th and the present Queen was born 3rd (and no one ever thought that she would be Queen when she was born expecting her uncle to marry and have children). Today we expect both William and Harry to marry and have children but they are't yet and seem in no hurry to do so so....
Old 05-08-2010, 09:33 AM
Nobility

I never claimed that they wouldn't eventually have duties, I never questioned the possibility that they could be bumped up in the order and I never said they couldn't be targets. All my post mentioned was that they are easy to pick on because many believe that they do not need the protection.

Yes, they are princesses and that carries a spotlight but that doesn't seem to matter to the people who see the Yorks vacationing and partying while being protected by men who are being paid with what many consider to be the people's money.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Heir Apparent

The Daily Mail, in particular, seems to have singled out the York family for negative articles. They seem to suggest that it's only the Duke who uses helicopters, when in fact they're likely used by other members of the family for convenience. And, as another poster said, the girls are convenient targets because they're not tucked away in a remote university.

I was watching a Charles and Diana documentary last night, and there was much made of the convenience of having a helicopter pad on their property. I thought to myself: "That wouldn't 'fly' now."

As for the partying, I suppose that other younger members of the RF stay home and knit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver_bic View Post
Yes, they are princesses and that carries a spotlight but that doesn't seem to matter to the people who see the Yorks vacationing and partying while being protected by men who are being paid with what many consider to be the people's money.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Nobility

I agree on the Daily Mail comment, they really enjoy popping on Andrew and Co but when you're not the on the top tier you're not going to get the slack that those who are get.

To me, once the Yorks introduced into the royal rounds the negative attention will drop a bit but it won't truly go away (Not literally there will always be an anti-royal complaint) until they've built something for themselves.

If you look at the four titled cousins Harry is the one who's not really receiving criticism, even William, people's choice to save the monarchy after his grandmother, takes hits for the amount of time he spends on vacation and away from the force.

Tags
career, education, princess beatrice, princess eugenie, royal duties, social life, styles and titles