The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-25-2009, 09:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

[

Very true, there is still time for them. I think that up until this generation we didn´t see the adolescence of the young royals in the spotlight, they may have got up to all kinds of pranks but they were taught to be more careful and to always be on their best behaviour in public, in fact to act befitting their rank.
I agree that it is about time that a healthy figure is admired instead of the ultra thin models we often see on catwalks.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
I strongly disagree with those who think the Princesses shouldn't live a normal student-life. It's completely reactionary to believe they have to do abstraction of what everybody of their age does. Of course, they are royals but they didn't have a choice - it's not like they had become royals by marriage! You can't reproach something to someone that isn't of his responsibility. They weren't asked to be royals but because 'unfortunately' for them they are Royals, then they shouldn't have the right to have a normal youth? It's totally unjustified.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 04-25-2009, 10:15 AM
Royal Highness

having a normal youth is, i believe, what everybody wants for them. but they do also have a responisibility, just like every other human being on earth.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
I strongly disagree with those who think the Princesses shouldn't live a normal student-life. It's completely reactionary to believe they have to do abstraction of what everybody of their age does. Of course, they are royals but they didn't have a choice - it's not like they had become royals by marriage! You can't reproach something to someone that isn't of his responsibility. They weren't asked to be royals but because 'unfortunately' for them they are Royals, then they shouldn't have the right to have a normal youth? It's totally unjustified.
I agree with you, TheTruth. You raise an excellent point. These young women did not seek out their royal status. They were born to it. It is not reasonable to expect them to want to shun the typical adolescent experience of today's young people. They simply have the misfortune of having photographers around to capture their activities. I fully believe that they will grow up to become lovely women who have something to contribute to society. I know that I certainly am not proud of the way I behaved when I was their age (of course, I am a nobody, and thankfully, cameras weren't around to capture my image at parties). I think that there is a lot of criticism of Beatrice and Eugenie that often overlooks the fact that their cousins and many of the other young royals have behaved in similar fashion.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
They should give up the perks then, or their father should. I don´t know whether it is unfortunate for them to be born royals, look at all the young ladies who would like to get a prince, and some have managed.
Maybe it is normal student life in Britain these days but I can assure you it is not that normal in some other countries. The normal student life that I have seen in my family is mainly studying so that they can get on with their lives and careers and there was no gap year caper either, the sooner their studies were over the better.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
having a normal youth is, i believe, what everybody wants for them. but they do also have a responisibility, just like every other human being on earth.
Of course, everyone has responsibility: you, me, everybody. But the weight of theirs can easily become a burden and I believe that at their age, it's difficult to face it- we shouldn't judge them from what they do as young people. I know that as a young adult I can tend to do mistakes that I'll regret later, yet I don't have the photographers to capture it and remind me them every single day of my life.

Because it matters...
Old 04-25-2009, 11:40 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgl View Post
These young women did not seek out their royal status. They were born to it. It is not reasonable to expect them to want to shun the typical adolescent experience of today's young people.
Both girls have no importance for the institution but got royal titles, a decision that is purely down to their parents. This is where the family had a choice (eg Anne took a different decision for her children). So they / their parents basically decided that they are royal - may I ask for what reason if they keep insisting to be "normal", lead "normal" lifes, do what their "normal" mates do and refrain from taking on royal duties? It has something from "making the best out of two worlds" and use the status for own purposes. When they behave like "normal" people (not so sure by the way that "normal" is indeed "normal" these days) and people take offence, they are the first to scream "hey, we are just normal young girls". But on the other hand they ask the taxpayer to pay for their security because, "hey, we are Princesses". As I said before, using their title as it suits, like a coat, taking it off and on again, what is despicable imo. So especially because they are unimportant, if they want to be "normal" they should give back their titles. No big deal. It's not as if they were born into something and had no choice, and here is where the parents come back into play. Like parents, like daughters. No bashing but it is all too evident.

William and Harry, they had no choice indeed. If they behave badly, that's equally despicable, but at the end of the day the public or the taxpayer can be sure that there will be time for payback, when they are forced into perfoming duties, as Princes, PoW, King (Harry being the spare until William has children). Beatrice and Eugenie have the potential for a life long benefit, nobody can ever force them into duty. The fact that they don't mind reminding the public every now and then, like, did you know you are funding my security in Thailand or when I am out at 4am in the London party scene? and don't seem to feel only a tiny bit ashamed about it speaks volumes of their attitude towards being a royal without a roadmap.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:56 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
When they behave like "normal" people (not so sure by the way that "normal" is indeed "normal" these days) and people take offence, they are the first to scream "hey, we are just normal young girls". But on the other hand they ask the taxpayer to pay for their security because, "hey, we are Princesses". As I said before, using their title as it suits, like a coat, taking it off and on again, what is despicable imo. So especially because they are unimportant, if they want to be "normal" they should give back their titles.
Beatrice and Eugenie hardly ever give interviews, so I don't think they run to the media after every scandal screaming: "we are normal young girls!" Also, I don't think Beatrice and Eugenie have very much say at all in whether or not they have titles/police protection. I think it is a combination of tradition and the royal family/their parents' desire that they keep their titles and their security.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Duke of M, said the parents made the decision about the titles just as Prince Edward made the decision that his children would not be HRH and so let them off the royal hook you could say.
It is said that Prince Andrew insists on them keeping their titles and their security so it is their father who is saying they are not normal girls, but then they seem to want to do what their friends do, this naturally causes resentment, especially from the people who are paying for these perks, and probably other perks that are not so visible.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:07 PM
Administrator

I hardly thinks it fair to make the comparison of what Edward did in 2003/2007 (the births of Louise and James) to what Andrew decided not to do in 1988/1990 (the births of Beatrice and Eugenie). Fifteen years had passed and the world was very different (i.e. the press, the death of Diana, the role of the monarchy). But that's neither here nor there.

And we are WAY OFF TOPIC! So we don't need to discuss any further the actions and/or behavior of Beatrice and Eugenie. As it stands now...Beatrice and Eugenie are HRH's so let's work on the assumption that they will take on more work within the BRF....so let's talk about what they should do when they graduate. What charities do you think they will take on? If and when Charles becomes King, how will they support him? Based on their interests (what we know so far) do you assume that they will take on full time paying jobs and work part time for the Crown?

Old 04-25-2009, 01:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

I would like to see the girls graduate first before even thinking of roles for them. There are still a few years to go and until then it would be nice if they were more discreet and tried to avoid giving the photo opportunities that have not really been to the liking of the British public, that is if you take note of the commentaries that appear under the articles.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

In that case, I don't see why it should be their fault - paparazzi take the pictures because the British (and worldwide) public wants them.

Because it matters...
Old 04-25-2009, 02:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

It is not the photos that have displeased the public, it is what the girls are doing in them!
If they behaved in a more sedate manner, even silly little girls can do that if taught how, the photographers would not be able to get the shots that the newspapers pay so much for.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

So for you, they should restrain the way they are to please everyone and avoid paparazzi taking pictures of "provocative behavior"? I don't think that would change much…they would still find a manner to take their photos and sell them even if the girls aren't even near any photographer (or so they think). Plus, refusing what you want to do, how you want to live your life because of harassing people taking pictures…that'd be very sad.

Because it matters...
Old 04-25-2009, 03:17 PM
Heir Apparent

I personally would like to see the girls involved in work that promotes AIDS education, the empowerment of women in the developing world, or tolerance/anti-bullying.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
So for you, they should restrain the way they are to please everyone and avoid paparazzi taking pictures of "provocative behavior"? I don't think that would change much…they would still find a manner to take their photos and sell them even if the girls aren't even near any photographer (or so they think). Plus, refusing what you want to do, how you want to live your life because of harassing people taking pictures…that'd be very sad.
Unfortunately being born Royal means exactly that. They should take the Queen for an example or if they don´t want to put duty first because they are only minor royals, they should keep out of the spotlight.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:41 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
Unfortunately being born Royal means exactly that. They should take the Queen for an example or if they don´t want to put duty first because they are only minor royals, they should keep out of the spotlight.
I think they mostly keep out of the spotlight.
Barring few incidences of them attending celebrity events with their mother and the notable exception of the Tatler covers, most pictures we have are of them going on about their lives like any teenager (shopping, going to Uni, going to nightclubs, etc.).
The latest uproar concerning Eugenie was about pictures taken with wide lens on her gap year, for example.
It could hardly be said that the girls seek the spotlight, rather the spotlight seeks them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Both girls have no importance for the institution but got royal titles, a decision that is purely down to their parents. This is where the family had a choice (eg Anne took a different decision for her children).
Anne isn't a good point of comparison, as Anne is a woman and isn't married to a peer or a royal Prince.
For her children to have a title would have required some constitutional gymnastic.
Bea and Eugenie are entitled to their titles by birth. The case of Lady Louise Windsor has shown how weird the situation gets when the son of the sovereign tries to prevent their child from having proper Royal rank.
Quote:
So they / their parents basically decided that they are royal - may I ask for what reason if they keep insisting to be "normal", lead "normal" lives, do what their "normal" mates do and refrain from taking on royal duties?
I can't see why a royal status would prevent anyone from leading a normal life. And having a HRH style doesn't mean you are obliged to perform duties. The Kents (Princes and Dukes), are a good example of that.
Quote:
It has something from "making the best out of two worlds" and use the status for own purposes. When they behave like "normal" people (not so sure by the way that "normal" is indeed "normal" these days) and people take offence, they are the first to scream "hey, we are just normal young girls". But on the other hand they ask the taxpayer to pay for their security because, "hey, we are Princesses". As I said before, using their title as it suits, like a coat, taking it off and on again, what is despicable imo.
Here I agree completely.
As soon as you becomes a burden for taxpayers you become accountable and you need to provide a return on investment.
Andrew, I think, is too proud to realise that he is doing a great disservice to his daughter with that tax-funded protection.
He effectively makes his daughter an easy target for both the press and the public when it's clear that, as minor royals with no clear fiber for duty, they will never be value for money.
Andrew recently sold his mansion for a huge sum. He has more than enough money to pay for the protection of his own daughters.
That masquerade needs to stop now, it's destroying the girls' reputation.
Quote:
So especially because they are unimportant, if they want to be "normal" they should give back their titles. No big deal.
No they should not have to do that since they are entitled to their status under the current rules, and yes that would be a big deal.
This remind me of the people who want Charles to 'give up' his place on the throne just because they don't like him. It doesn't work like this, this isn't Pop Idol where you get to vote off your least favourites candidates.
What they need to do is give up their Royal protection officers and go on live their life as private citizens.
Quote:
The fact that they don't mind reminding the public every now and then, like, did you know you are funding my security in Thailand.
Ridiculous.
Did Eugenie invit the paparazzi in Thailand with her?
The nightclubbing is another issue, and I tend to agree with you there.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgl View Post
I personally would like to see the girls involved in work that promotes AIDS education, the empowerment of women in the developing world, or tolerance/anti-bullying.
I can see Beatrice and/or Eugenie becoming involved in causes related to women in the developing world, if they follow their mother's lead. Sarah has recently been making speeches/appearing on talk shows to advocate for better maternal healthcare in less developed countries, so Beatrice and Eugenie could take up this cause as well.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:49 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post

These girls are not minor royals. Until William and/or Harry marries and has children they are way too close to the throne to be classed as minor royals. They are 5th and 6th in line to the throne.

Until William and/or Harry have children they are very close. If the unthinkable happens to William and Harry (and Harry wants to go back to a war zone and William's chosen activity isn't the safest military occupation either) then Beatrice could become Queen.

I suspect that Beatrice at least will start full-time royal duties before William. She will graduate in 2011 and could easily be on royal duties by late 2011 (although I suspect another gap year before that starts) or 2012 - the year of her grandmother's Diamond Jubilee.

I don't see William on full time duties until about 2013 or later after his time with the SAR, which doesn't really start until next year as he is doing a long training course this year. After all that training I am sure he will serve in that occupation for between 2 and 5 years which means 2013 to 2015 before he starts full time duties (and even before he marries).

Eugenie might even start before William.

I don't see Harry doing full time royal duties until about 2030 or so (in other words I see him having a full time military career until he is nearly 50 or so).

I hope one of them spends time assisting their Auntie Anne with Save the Children and the other goes to things like the Red Cross. I would hope that they would also work with their mother's children's charity and I suspect that they will spend time with their father learning what he does to assist British Trade (I don't know how successful he is but that is the job he has) to maybe take over from him, just as he took over from the Duke of Kent.

Minor royals are people like the Gloucesters and Kents not the grandchildren of the reigning monarch.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:52 PM
Serene Highness

^I can't see them performing Royal duties other than on an elective and casual basis.
Have they ever hinted of wanting to be full-time Royals?

And they are considered minors, like Zara and Peter.

Tags
career, education, princess beatrice, princess eugenie, royal duties, social life, styles and titles