The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-23-2009, 11:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

Who can forget the way HM gave in to her mothers demands? I think HM has always favoured her younger sons over Anne and Charles, so I do believe in this case, as with her mother, she is quite easy to bully. In answer to your question (that I can't find at the moment)
Quote:
I would be very surprised if these girls were made Councillors of State. I am not very familiar with the rules
Quote:
Should there be a need for The Privy Council to meet in The Queen's absence, Her Majesty, by Letters Patent, creates senior members of the Royal Family Councillors of State, enabling them to represent her in summoning a Privy Council meeting
So, it is not automatically given to the top four.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
HM the Queen was said by her own husband to be an extremely tolerant woman and I don´t think she has been bullied by her children but I am sure as a fond mother she would not want to cause distress to her favourite son. Actually the Queen was bullied once that I can remember but it was by the hysterical public when her ex-daughter-in-law died.
Actually I wish she weren´t so tolerant where her granddaughters are concerned but that is just my opinion.
.... so are you suggesting that HM puts the demands of her petty (or soemtimes petulant?) children above her duty to crown and country?

Old 04-23-2009, 11:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
.... so are you suggesting that HM puts the demands of her petty (or soemtimes petulant?) children above her duty to crown and country?
Being the parent of 'adult' children myself, I wouldn't blame HM at all for opting for the quiet life!
Old 04-23-2009, 11:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Who can forget the way HM gave in to her mothers demands? I think HM has always favoured her younger sons over Anne and Charles, so I do believe in this case, as with her mother, she is quite easy to bully. In answer to your question (that I can't find at the moment)So, it is not automatically given to the top four.
Be that as it may, it would not be the Queen but Charles who would need to be bullied to make either of the York girls Counsellors in State.

The reason you can't find the post is that I deleted it after I saw on Wiki that "The Counsellors of State are the consort of the monarch and the first four people in the line of succession who meet the qualifications"

Counsellor of State - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 04-23-2009, 11:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
The reason you can't find the post is that I deleted it after I saw on Wiki that "The Counsellors of State are the consort of the monarch and the first four people in the line of succession who meet the qualifications"

Counsellor of State - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And yet according to the PoW official site, this is not the case.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Well...according to the Buckingham Palace site, found here The Monarchy Today > Queen and State > Queen and Government > Counsellors of State.

And I am taking this from the site directly:

Counsellors of State are appointed from among the following: The Duke of Edinburgh and the four adults next in succession (provided they have reached the age of 21).
These are currently The Prince of Wales, Prince William of Wales, Prince Harry of Wales and The Duke of York.

So if and when Charless succeeds to the throne, and his father is deceased as well. It would be Prince William of Wales, Princes Harry of Wales, The Duke of York and Princess Beatrice of York (provided she has reached the age of 21).

Old 04-23-2009, 11:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

I wonder why the difference between the sites, lets hope William and Harry hurry up, marry and have children. Can you imagine the work for the mods if either girl was made a CoS?
Old 04-23-2009, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I wonder why the difference between the sites, lets hope William and Harry hurry up, marry and have children. Can you imagine the work for the mods if either girl was made a CoS?
Well...William and Harry's kids need to be at least 21. But don't give up on Beatrice and Eugenie yet...which is my point.

They have had stumbles in the past (please pardon the pun) but I truly believe that its not over til its over!

Old 04-23-2009, 11:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Well...William and Harry's kids need to be at least 21. But don't give up on Beatrice and Eugenie yet...which is my point.

They have had stumbles in the past (please pardon the pun) but I truly believe that its not over til its over!
I haven't quite given up on them... yet.

It is rather depressing to see 20-30 somethings who were staunch believers in the monarchy and the royal family, start talking about republics after each and every misdemeanor is given space in the paper, these are the youngsters who may ultimely decide the fate of the system. This doesn't just apply to B & E, but to W & H, Andrew and the alleged tax dodges applied by HM and Charles.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Actually the thought of Princess Beatrice becoming a CoS makes a good argument for the anti-monarchists, but one never knows, she might become another Princess Anne in the future.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
And then we have the reported fact that Beatrice was so drunk she forgot she had a driver waiting and tried to wander off to summon a cab. Except for the police officer in charge telling the press!
I'm glad that Charlotte1 brought up the point that there was no evidence Eugenie was drunk and naked at Marlborough College. I want to make a similar correction here that it was never "reported fact" that the reason Beatrice forgot she had a driver was because she was "so drunk."
Remember, Beatrice's car was stolen when she left her keys in her car and wandered into a shop without locking the door. I think it's unlikely she was drunk in the middle of the day. So maybe Beatrice is naturally a bit of a scatterbrain and she just forgot that she had a driver because her mind was elsewhere. I mean, how do we know for a "fact" that she was completely drunk when she forgot her driver? Even if she was, maybe she was just a little tipsy.

Charlotte1 brought up a really good point when she mentioned the pictures of Beatrice that made her appear drunk, and then the news that came out later that she had been allowed to drive home, something that (hopefully!) wouldn't have been allowed if she had too much to drink. The tabloids jump to conclusions and post the most unflattering pictures, and I honestly think after awhile people get so exposed to these types of stories about Beatrice and Eugenie that they think "these are the only things the girls do." I have read reports of them attending charity functions, but that doesn't seem to generate much discussion.

William and Harry have made their fair share of mistakes as well, and they are criticized for them, but I honestly don't see the same level of vitriol in their threads as I do here. I don't know whether it's because there's a double standard due to their gender, or because they're not Andrew and Sarah's kids, but William and Harry seem to get off from their mistakes a little easier than their cousins, despite doing the same things.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

The problem is nothing to do with who their parents are. Running naked at school is not appropriate behaviour for a young HRH, neither is frolicking with a friend and being photographed with this friend cupping her royal breasts.
They are the ones that are being badly behaved and if it is noticed and remarked on this thread who is at fault? Are they above censure?
It is a sad fact that boys do get off with their mistakes a little easier than girls when doing the same things but so far I haven´t seen either Prince being groped by his friends in full view of a photographer. I hope I never do.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
BTW someone could always start a Beatrice and Eugenie "gushers thread" if necessary, nothing wrong with that, sensible people with hopes for the BRF could keep away.
Someone could start a "gushers thread," but it wouldn't last long. We aren't a fan site any more than a site to dish gossip and try to compete with each other for the nastiest names to call people.

What we're hoping for in these threads is a reasoned discussion of the issues, not constant mindless gushing and not unrelieved repetitive bashing. In forum after forum we seem to have cases where people take extreme positions on one side or the other and just yell at each other. Someone who shows up with a view which includes some shades of grey will get yelled at by the gushers for any hint of negativity and will get yelled at by the haters for any hint of positivity. It's hardly surprising that those people eventually tend to give up and go away and leave the field to the loudest shouters. Which is a shame, because they're the very ones we'd like to encourage.

And they're the ones who are PMing the mods, in answer to your expression of surprise a few posts ago.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think you should encourage them more then if they are frightened away just because some people are/aren´t impressed by the York girls. I have never yelled at anyone in my life nor am I a hater, I could never hate anyone that I don´t know personally and to tell you the truth there is no one that I hate in real life let alone on a thread about two silly girls who need to learn how to behave in a way more befitting a member of the British royal family. They are young, as is pointed out so often in these threads, and perhaps they will learn, we can only hope.
I am not surprised at people pm ing mods, I believe quite a few people do, in fact I believe quite a few people press the report button as well, if instead of putting forward a rational argument they prefer to complain then that is their affair.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

Oh, we have all sorts of people complaining, including relentlessly negative posters complaining that we only allow positive comments and gushers complaining that we only allow negative ones. Unfortunately it does seem to be the least extreme posters who bow out of the threads sooner than the more extreme ones. As the mods and admins have been saying for a while now, we don't want threads to be a parade of gushing praise, nor do we need to have current-events threads turning into lists of all the iniquities of a particular royal back to the year dot every time he or she does something stupid but dead silence or snide "praise" when he or she does something good. Some of these threads are getting to be really painful to read.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Perhaps we should make this a "fashion thread", oh dear, that is perhaps not a very good idea.

Or maybe we could start off by making a list of positive things that they have done so far this year?
Old 04-23-2009, 04:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Or maybe we could stick to the thread topic and drop the sarcasm?
Old 04-23-2009, 04:22 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Has anyone considered the possibility that the girls might think that if they're going to be labelled as "bad" and condemned, that they may as well go ahead and earn that label?

And a lot of things they're condemned for aren't bad things. It's no crime to weigh more than Callista Flockhart or to have problems creating a becoming look for yourself. (If it were, the Princess Royal would have been in jail a long time ago.)
Old 04-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
Has anyone considered the possibility that the girls might think that if they're going to be labelled as "bad" and condemned, that they may as well go ahead and earn that label?

And a lot of things they're condemned for aren't bad things. It's no crime to weigh more than Callista Flockhart or to have problems creating a becoming look for yourself. (If it were, the Princess Royal would have been in jail a long time ago.)
Or maybe they are using Mummy as a role model??
WWMD??
Old 04-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I think the difference is that it's automatic for the next four in the line of succession to be Counsellors of State but the consort (and in the present reign, the Queen Mother) has to be added specifically.

Tags
career, education, princess beatrice, princess eugenie, royal duties, social life, styles and titles