Duties and Roles of Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie 1: Discussion Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure the BRF receives tons of invitations to events such as these. Based on what limited information that we know about the charity, it does appear that things seem a bit sketchy. So why would you forward that.

At an office the person going thru the mail makes a couple of piles: trash....mail that you are not familiar with and need some time to research and legit mail. For all we know, this invitation might have never made it out of the 2nd pile. So therefore, they wouldn't haven't received this invitation.

Do you think Andrew (and his daughters) read all his invitations. I am sure one or two people look at it before he even does (if he does at all).

I meant in the sense that she is not going to be working straight out of the gate. I was under the perception that she is primarily going to be a military wife and taken on events with William. As for the press well clearly in that sense she will be in the limelight, but will her work reflect more Princess Anne or more Beatrice and Eugenie.

Yes, i am well aware of the fact that it took Anne years to build up her appearences. I was thinking more like role-models.

What do you mean about Beatrice and Eugenie?

They are both at university at the moment. At their ages William was also at uni and not expected to be doing royal duties so why do people think that these two should be before finishing their education?

Anne started building up here work level from her late 20s - after she retired from being an equestrianne - again at an age much older than Beatrice or Eugenie are now.

I know moderators that this is in the Title for William etc thread but this is where the comment was made so this is where I made the reply.

What do you mean about Beatrice and Eugenie?
I never excused William from doing royal duties just because he was at university. If you have time to go clubbing you have time to work. There are weekends off and of course holidays. The problem with the younger generation is that they appear to spend the money but their work ethic remains to be seen.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never excused William from doing royal duties just because he was at university. If you have time to go clubbing you have time to work. There are weekends off and of course holidays. The problem with the younger generation is that they appear to spend the money but their work ethic remains to be seen.

Actually Beatrice does do some duties such as charity functions. She also has done the London Marathon for charity etc all while at uni. By comparison William did very little if anything and yet Beatrice is still criticised.

Her weekends, if anything like mine at uni, was also when I did a lot of my research and other work.

Young people do go to nightclubs but they are also only young once and at 22 I am prepared to give her another years before saying she needs to pick things up a bit, unless she is in full-time employment away from doing royal stuff - which for her sake I hope she does.

In fact the last major royals to start working in their early 20s were in the Queen's own generation as she allowed her own children to start in their late 20s full time with some in their early 20s - Charles for instance didn't leave the military until mid-late 20s, Anne also late 20s when she retired, Andrew mid-40s and Edward mid-30s so to expect her grandchildren to start at younger ages than their parents is, to my mind unfair.

Last edited:
Actually Beatrice does do some duties such as charity functions. She also has done the London Marathon for charity etc all while at uni. By comparison William did very little if anything and yet Beatrice is still criticised.
I will just say this before we keep going off topic :ermm: Many people around the world hold down full or part-time jobs and still go to school. Considering that the royals don't have to work to pay their way through school it would be nice if the younger generation did more charity events. I think that would help the perception that they are leeching off the taxpayers. By the way I was just giving an example about Beatrice and Eugenie, hopefully in time they too will be great for the family. Perhaps if they got more guidance in the roles they will undertake in the future that would help. :flowers: After all they are kinda in no-man's land. They are not the heirs, not the spares. So no real role. That can be more tricky than being king or queen. At least in that case your role is set for you all you have to do is perform.

I personally do not believe there is a front line role for the York girls in the BRF in the medium term. They should focus on developing careers for themselves, and if at some time in the future they are required, they can carry out some royal engagements.

I do think it is a bit unfair to carry out public or charitable engagements when they are students. They do not receive any funding from the state, and are not really answerable to the public.

I would argue that if it is expected that they might be doing royal duties at some time in the future then they shouldn't be starting careers but starting royal duties.

If they have successful careers and then in 20 years time William says - we need you to help with the royal stuff they will find it much harder to start.

I hope they do find fulfilling careers for themselves rather than spending their lives opening buildings and other stuff that won't get them any respect from the public anyway. They will always be the butt of the British press because they are Sarah's daughters and the public will never give them any slack. I would love them to take the chance with Kate coming in to the family for them to slip right out of the limelight and even starting on Christmas Day to spend the day with their mother rather than with the Queen - away from the public eye.

I think we are in agreement here (is that a first? :flowers: ). The York girls should build lives and careers for themselves independent of "The Firm". I personally do not see a role for them in the medium term, but if circumstances require at some time in the future, it will be for them and the monarch at the time (Charles or William) to agree the way forward.

I must confess I don't really have a liking for the York-princesses. For me, they are always good to be "Last Night's Scandal". Not necessarily because they are breaking the rules of society all the times, but because their mother is so notorious and the media believes in "like mother, like daughters".

But - and that's a big "but": as long as Britain does have a society where the young daughters of the upper nobility have an official "precedence" over older or more merited women due to their birth and as long as this is widely accepted, there is no need to start harping at those two young ladies. I read quite some articles about young Lady A... Z.... or Lady B.... Y.....-X...... in which these young girls were presented as being something special due to the fact that they are the daughters of peers. To be just, the media should offer the same kind of reverence to Eugenie and Beatrice or offer no reverence at all! Only because they are Sarah's daughters (I can't recall having read such bashing articles about the Ladies First Name Windsor), now that's not fair.

Start with The Honorables or Their Ladyships, not with TRH. My opinion, of course.

Well, I know thats your opinion but I find that a little sad.

Beatrice and Eugenie (as they age and mature) shouldn't be judged by their parents actions. No child should. Nor do I think we should hold things against people when they do foolish things when they are young. If that was the case, half the world wouldn't get a second chance.

But that's just my opinion.

Oh, I think you misunderstood me, I'm sorry about this. I'll try to explain it better. Okay, I don't have a liking for them, but that's just my personal feelings. I don't know them, I don't want to judge them, it's just that what I know and have read of them didn't give me a certain "liking". While I do like Mary and Marie of Denmark or Catherine Middleton. Don't know why.

But I have the feeling they are put into a drawer (German saying, don't know the equivalent in English) as the children of notorious Sarah and "foolish" Andrew (because he sticks to Sarah and does not desert her). And the fact that they are put into this position is potentially damaging to the RF. Which is a fact I think they should be aware of and try not to do those silly faults. Catherine Middleton has shown that you can pull that off if you are really trying.

OTOH they are princesses of the blood and there should be no talk of downgrading them, only because they are
a) young. Or a bit silly. Or both.
b) Sarah and Andrew's children
c) unimportant and best to be forgotten.
d) and nada, nada, nada.

As long as Brtain is not downgrading every daughter of the aristocracy. Which won't happen. So let them be princesses and enjoy their lives. But with a bit of princessly style. They are after all the result of centuries of Royal breeding.... Let me see this. And not "Sarah's girls aka "TRM = Their Royal Mini-Mes"

I think we are in agreement here (is that a first? :flowers: ). The York girls should build lives and careers for themselves independent of "The Firm". I personally do not see a role for them in the medium term, but if circumstances require at some time in the future, it will be for them and the monarch at the time (Charles or William) to agree the way forward.

I think it is a first because I agree. What do you guys think about their titles and the kind-of jobs they can have? I think that with their princess titles they will have different expectations placed on them in terms of the jobs they can have. For example: princess titles will require them to open hospitals etc... while different titles will allow them to hold normal jobs.

I think it is a first because I agree. What do you guys think about their titles and the kind-of jobs they can have? I think that with their princess titles they will have different expectations placed on them in terms of the jobs they can have. For example: princess titles will require them to open hospitals etc... while different titles will allow them to hold normal jobs.

I think they could very easily get jobs with their degrees that would also be useful with their titles. Beatrice is doing a history degree so it would be possible for her to actually get a job (if one is available and if her grades etc are good enough) at say the royal archives where she can be using her qualifications but not be doing something 'unprincessy'.

I am not suggesting that a job be created for her but rather that she could have a job in that sort of area within the royal structure rather than say at another museum. She could also get a government job - again on merit alone not birth - but only where she won't be involved in policy so again some research type job.

While an education is always beneficial in some way, I doubt that either of the York girls will ever need a career. Firstly, I believe there will still be enough royal duties for them to perform as the older generation (Pss Alexandra, P/Pss Michael, the Duke of Kent) cut back on their roles. Even Charles/Camilla, Anne and Andrew are getting up in age and may begin to scale back in the next decade or so.
Even with P Wm (and his bride) and P Harry (and his spouse) taking the primary focus, that stil leaves room for more. Peter and Zara do not carry out royal duties and Lady Louise and Viscount Severn are still far too young (and probably won't be carrying out royal duties, per their parents wishes), so who does that leave? Pss Beatrice & Eugenie.
Even if they don't perform royal duties, they will more than likey end up marrying wealthy men and won't have to worry about a career.

However Charles has been reported as wanting to cut down the royal family and even remove the HRH from Beatrice and Eugenie (but that would only work if he also denied it to his own second son's children).

I can see the royal family doing duties being Charles, Camilla, William, Kate and occasionally Harry, while he is in the military with the rest fending for themselves and the British public preferring some soap star to do a lot of the work currently done by the royals.

The current active royals (Andrew, Edward & Sophie, Anne etc) couuld very easily carry on with their current work loads for at least another 10 years. In that time, it would be useful for the York girls to gainfully engage in some other activities (including professional jobs) and if they were called to help later in life, I am sure their experiences in these intervening years would come in handy in their future royal careers.

I think they could very easily get jobs with their degrees that would also be useful with their titles. Beatrice is doing a history degree so it would be possible for her to actually get a job (if one is available and if her grades etc are good enough) at say the royal archives where she can be using her qualifications but not be doing something 'unprincessy'.

I am not suggesting that a job be created for her but rather that she could have a job in that sort of area within the royal structure rather than say at another museum. She could also get a government job - again on merit alone not birth - but only where she won't be involved in policy so again some research type job.

Sounds like a great idea. They should remember to be careful in choosing a career I remember how controversial Edward and Sophie's choices became although I think they had the right idea.

I think birth is bound to be a factor in any job she gets.
And in the current job climate, I suspect that far more qualified applicants will be in competition for those jobs in archives or museums.
She'd be hired on the basis of who she is rather than what she knows, and subject to criticism for that, too.

Presently I'm inclined to give Beatrice and Eugenie the benefit of the doubt. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't. The main things they are photographed doing are going on holiday and going to clubs and events. It doesn't mean they do it all the time, but it's public and it proves the Daily Mail's theory that they're workshy (and sells papers and pictures).

If they're photographed going to uni, working hard and keeping a low profile they will be accused of staging photographs. If they get a "normal" (for want of a better word) job they'll be criticised for trading on their royal connections.

Unfortunately they have to weather the storm of criticism they currently receive (which is sad but indicative of how vitriolic the British press can be) and hope that their very wise grandmother is on hand to provide advice on how they can carve a niche for themselves in the future.

Maybe they should also look to Zara, who was battered by the press 5-10 years ago but is now viewed as talented, grounded, down to earth and praised to the skies.

Of course, if they are lazy, arrogant and do naff all once they graduate then I will be first in line to criticise them! ;)

Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie pay price for row over Duke of York's trade role - Telegraph

It will be interesting to see what the future holds for Beatrice and Eugenie.

Thanks for the article. I do think though that this has been discussed before the Duke's current problems. This could be a renewed interest in the area of the junior royals though. I know it has been brought up on these boards before but where do you draw the line? While I hope that the Princess's get normal jobs what if they don't? Is someone going to tell them no if they get "royal jobs?" I would hope that someone comes out and discusses their future. Maybe even the princess themselves could talk about their future roles. It would certainly elevate some concerns. I do believe that the family has already had some discussions about their future. So in that regards I find the Duke's comments interesting.

Charles may want to slim the firm down but with the age of the current crop and Harry not looking like he's going to settle down in the near future the girls could still have a role.

As for normal jobs, does anyone thing it might help to spend time working outside of the UK? Canada or the US, where they're a little less likely to attract attention after the hoopla of their arriving ends? Jenna Bush (One of George W's daughters) was well known for being a party animal but settled down, did work as a teacher's aid and Unicef.

Charles may want to slim the firm down but with the age of the current crop and Harry not looking like he's going to settle down in the near future the girls could still have a role.

As for normal jobs, does anyone thing it might help to spend time working outside of the UK? Canada or the US, where they're a little less likely to attract attention after the hoopla of their arriving ends? Jenna Bush (One of George W's daughters) was well known for being a party animal but settled down, did work as a teacher's aid and Unicef.

It might be a good idea for them to work outside the UK. I will say the difference with Jenna Bush Hager and the Princess is that the press almost considers the Presidential children off limits. She had more of an chance to live a normal life since she was not considered a public figure. That doesn't mean she didn't or doesn't get coverage but she has the chance to turn it "off". The only way I can see that happening with the Princess is if they leave.

I think there is definitely room for the York girls to have roles in "the Firm." As I've said before, the royal cousins and HM's children are all getting up in age. It can't all fall onto Princes Wm and Harry and their spouses. That's only four people. Charles will be into his 70s in 10 years. Anne won't be far behind. The Kents, Gloucesters, Pss Alexandra and Prince/Princess Michael will more-than-likely be retired. Or taking on very few engagements. I think the York girls could be a good asset to their cousins in the next decade or so.

I think the idea of them settling down to a "normal" job is far-fetched. They are HRHs and that will always set them apart. And they are too well-known, much more so than the children of past US presidents, of whom I think it's been easier for them to melt into society unnoticed.

We'll see, I guess. Maybe the best thing for them is to marry well, have children and become involved in charitable organizations and events - as dated as that may sound.

I definitely think that Beatrice and Eugenie can be an asset to their uncle and cousin when they both become King.

In an ideal world it would be nice if they could get some type of careers but than I remember the nasty comments that appeared in the Daily Mail when Eugenie (and Beatrice if I recall correctly) had an internship.

The consensus (of course its the DM readers) was that the girls didnot receive their internship based on their merits but rather who they are. Which could be true but than don't regular people get their internships the same way. In addition, they were accused of taking the job of someone who was more deserving.

In a perfect world they would have a few engagements and have a part time job but than what the public say?

Can't win....

I don't know why the press is bringing up this topic again about the York girls and their roles in the Royal Family? This has been going for several years about Charles' wishes to slimline the Monarchy and the Family. The question of the York girls and the loss of titles has only been speculation on the part of the press and their "anonymous" sources. No one will know until Charles becomes Monarch.
I'm sure that Charles (and Anne) have been very unhappy over the escapades of Andrew and his wife, but that's the parents, not the children. We don't know what will happen in the future.

I'm sure that Charles (and Anne) have been very unhappy over the escapades of Andrew and his wife, but that's the parents, not the children. We don't know what will happen in the future.

I don't think it matters what Princess Anne thinks, and it doesn't even matter what Prince Charles thinks right now. If the Queen thinks Beatrice and Eugenie should have official roles in the royal family, and Andrew wants it too, then they probably will.

I see what Zonk is saying about this being a no-win situation--if the girls do royal duties they'll be called useless/wasters of taxpayer money...if they get jobs, it will supposedly be because of their royal connections.

I used to think Beatrice and Eugenie would be useful to "the Firm", but recent events involving Andrew and Sarah have made me come around to the idea of them having independent careers. Yes, people will accuse them of getting jobs because of who they are, but once they have those jobs, the media will lose interest--pictures of them arriving at/leaving work every day would get old pretty fast. On the other hand, if Beatrice and Eugenie do royal duties, there will always be new photo opportunities and thus ample opportunities for people to criticize them for doing nothing, bad fashion sense, weight, having their mouths open, etc. etc.

I think I'd rather they just retreat from the limelight and get careers.

I have suggested internships with The Prince's Trust and with The Queen. How about helping The Princess Royal run Gatecombe? or joining the armed forces or police?

On the other hand, if Beatrice and Eugenie do royal duties, there will always be new photo opportunities and thus ample opportunities for people to criticize them for doing nothing, bad fashion sense, weight, having their mouths open, etc. etc.

See I disagree on that. On the Royal duties begin the crowd will have less reason to go after them because they're pulling their weight. It'll stop when the partying stops. Andrew and Sarah could still make fools of themselves but the sins of the parents won't be able to stick t the kids when they're walking the line.

I hope I'm wrong but it seems to me that Andrew and Fergie managed to tarnish the reputation of their daughters very much. What role models were they? What sort of integrety can the young women inherit? What values are installed in them from their parents?

Sadly they are in a no-win situation, not to a small part due to her parents behaviour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom