The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-06-2009, 12:03 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
Are you kidding? Not this American.
I agree. Many in America might be fascinated by the story of the Kennedys, but to say that people think they're a cut above the rest of us is pushing it.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 02-06-2009, 02:35 AM
Majesty

At the ages these girls are now William and Harry were doing the same things.

We are forgetting that these girls are still in full-time education and not active members of the Royal Family.

At some time in the future a decision will be made as to what their role will be - will it be like the Dukes of Gloucester and Kent and thus as active supporters of their grandmother, uncle and cousin when they are the monarch or will it be more like Prince Michael of Kent - having a more or less private occupation with occasional appearances/representation of the monarch?

When will that decision be made - probably in about 3 - 4 years time? When Beatrice leaves university. Eugenie is currently on a gap year so she has 3 - 4 years of education ahead of her as well. When that happens they will either have jobs or be full-time royals but seeing as it has allowed William not to be a full-time royal until into his 30s it is possible that neither of these girls will be full-time royals for another 10+ years, if at all.

If they aren't not going to be full-time royals then they don't need the security. Whether they need it now - well they have it and somebody somewhere there has to be someone who can say - no they don't need it and we aren't going to give it to them. (And I don't mean Andrew - I mean someone in the government).

Old 02-06-2009, 02:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
I feel sorry for Beatrice and Eugenie (and William and Harry) because I think they're pulled in two directions and as a result can't go far in either one. They are asked to be useful and told not to squander their money or appear entitled--and yet at the same time they're constantly reminded that they can't go out and get an ordinary job like most people who want to be "useful," and as much as they're forbidden from flaunting their royal status, they're also asked to remember their position, to behave better than their peers, to set a good example.
But it is possible in London to live a quiet and dignified Royal life without sitting at home all the time. The other Windsors have managed well and the other Royals who live in London like the Greek and Dutch Royals would be equally interesting for the papers but manage to avoid them. Even in London IMHO it's possible to find entertainment without appearing in the Mail.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Kay View Post
And since drawing attention to these charitable causes is, in effect, a way to benefit the British nation as a whole, it makes sense that the girls should be doing them. The taxpayers are funding their security, and as they are both adults now, I think that the argument that they should "pay back" Britons by doing charity work is a fair one.

All of this may be moot, though, as I believe I remember both girls expressing interest in working for charitable causes in past interviews, so they very well may have a personal interest in such work.
As to the first part I would say it would benefit the British nation if the money spent on these two girls was given directly to a chosen charity. By appearing at a hospital accepting an expensive bunch of flowers, getting their photo taken and then lauded in the newspapers the next day, IMHO is not paying back their country for their privileged lives. To be fair they probably don´t even realise they have privileged lives it is something they have always had.
As to the second part, of course in an interview they are going to say they are interested in charitable causes, they have been told to say that from the time they were probably told they would be the subject of interviews. A sentence like that is easy to say and gives a good impression. Wasn´t Queen Mary alleged to have said with her tongue in her cheek "We are Royal so we love hospitals and factories!"
I think the time is coming for the BRF to really think seriously about what they want, do they want to have normal lives or do they want the royal family to be feted and revered for longer. I don´t think they can have it both ways for much longer. I like tradition and I would like the BRF to continue but not the way it seems to be heading. I just hope the Queen lives even longer than her mother did.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:37 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
But it is possible in London to live a quiet and dignified Royal life without sitting at home all the time. The other Windsors have managed well and the other Royals who live in London like the Greek and Dutch Royals would be equally interesting for the papers but manage to avoid them. Even in London IMHO it's possible to find entertainment without appearing in the Mail.

Of course it is but then these young ladies do have the example of their older HRH cousins, William and Harry before them as well. They also seem to think that they only way to have a good time is to get drunk at very public places and make spectacles of themselves.

The girls need to be told a few things but

a) will they listen,
b) who will tell them
c) and what does someone say to them when they reply 'William and Harry' did this as well so when they stop we will.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:40 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
As to the first part I would say it would benefit the British nation if the money spent on these two girls was given directly to a chosen charity. By appearing at a hospital accepting an expensive bunch of flowers, getting their photo taken and then lauded in the newspapers the next day, IMHO is not paying back their country for their privileged lives. To be fair they probably don´t even realise they have privileged lives it is something they have always had.
As to the second part, of course in an interview they are going to say they are interested in charitable causes, they have been told to say that from the time they were probably told they would be the subject of interviews. A sentence like that is easy to say and gives a good impression. Wasn´t Queen Mary alleged to have said with her tongue in her cheek "We are Royal so we love hospitals and factories!"
I think the time is coming for the BRF to really think seriously about what they want, do they want to have normal lives or do they want the royal family to be feted and revered for longer. I don´t think they can have it both ways for much longer. I like tradition and I would like the BRF to continue but not the way it seems to be heading. I just hope the Queen lives even longer than her mother did.
While the present Queen is alive the Royal Family will remain the size it is now whereas Charles has already indicated that he would like to reduce its size.

I suspect that when Charles becomes King, the only real royals doing royal duties will be himself, his sons and their wives while the others live private lives and make their own way in the world (of course, they do have rather sizeable private incomes based on inheritance/trust funds etc).
Old 02-06-2009, 05:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Of course it is but then these young ladies do have the example of their older HRH cousins, William and Harry before them as well.
The difference being that, sexist as it may be, they are girls. Bad enough to see William and Harry staggering out of nightclubs but with girls it is so much worse.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
While the present Queen is alive the Royal Family will remain the size it is now whereas Charles has already indicated that he would like to reduce its size.

I suspect that when Charles becomes King, the only real royals doing royal duties will be himself, his sons and their wives while the others live private lives and make their own way in the world (of course, they do have rather sizeable private incomes based on inheritance/trust funds etc).
Could not agree more.

I do think, therefore, that it is imperative that these girls think about developing careers for themselves independent of the royal family.

Some posters have commented that if the Wales boys could be seen out drinking every now and then, so should the York girls. The key difference, IMO, is that the Wales boys also happen to be serving officers in the armed forces, and are only ever seen out in their time off. The York girls, on the other hadn, seem to be stuck in their gap year, despitre Bea having enrolled at university!
Old 02-06-2009, 06:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

Ground Hog Day Gap Year.... interesting and true.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:40 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Could not agree more.

I do think, therefore, that it is imperative that these girls think about developing careers for themselves independent of the royal family.

Some posters have commented that if the Wales boys could be seen out drinking every now and then, so should the York girls. The key difference, IMO, is that the Wales boys also happen to be serving officers in the armed forces, and are only ever seen out in their time off. The York girls, on the other hadn, seem to be stuck in their gap year, despitre Bea having enrolled at university!
Well said, Muriel. Also the Wales boys did engage themselves in some sort of social work abroad during their gap year. William in South America, if I remember correctly, and Harry in South Africa. Whereas the York girls seem to be travelling, partying ... etc. The personal shopper experience of Beatrice is ridiculous compared to a work camp where the hands really do get dirty.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
The difference being that, sexist as it may be, they are girls. Bad enough to see William and Harry staggering out of nightclubs but with girls it is so much worse.
The feminist in me wants to argue with you, but these girls are girly girls, not independent young women who are asserting their right to equality in all respects (including those respects with which anyone with an ounce of common sense would not want to be associated in their worst nightmares). You can't have it all ways, even if you are the Queen's grand-daughter..............especially if you are the Queen's grand-daughter.

"Noblesse oblige", and the greater the noblesse, the greater the oblige.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:55 AM

I think it is interesting that it seems (to my American eyes!) that it was ANDREW who insisted that his daughters retain royal titles and also keep round the clock police protection. However, it appears that he takes little interest in actually instructing his daughters how to be representatives of the Royal Family. (Obviously I don't know what goes on behind the scenes, but that is my impression.) Their mother, who clearly loves the limelight, B minus minus celebrities, and referring to her daughters as "the princesses" appears to have taken on the role as their royal "mentor." Clearly a mistake, imho. There certainly are examples of royal princesses who stay relatively grounded and yet do a lot of charity work (Princess Anne, Princess Alexandra of Kent, etc.) I think that it is hard to have it both ways, but obviously these two girls could do better than they are now. Of course, they are very young, and we should give them the benefit of the doubt that as they mature they will realize that being royal isn't about "having fun." Remember that saying: "To whom much is given, much is expected." We'll just have to see.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Of course it is but then these young ladies do have the example of their older HRH cousins, William and Harry before them as well. They also seem to think that they only way to have a good time is to get drunk at very public places and make spectacles of themselves.

The girls need to be told a few things but

a) will they listen,
b) who will tell them
c) and what does someone say to them when they reply 'William and Harry' did this as well so when they stop we will.
a) If it's put to them that they have the alternative of shaping up and becoming full contributing members of the family (which means not constantly behaving like celebrities) or dropping their HRH's, maybe they'll listen.
b) The Queen, if nobody else will. But she seems to have a track record of non-intervention with her family, so maybe she won't.
c) I suppose someone can say, "William and Harry are indispensable to the monarchy. While they're still alive, the monarchy can get along just fine without you two."
Old 02-06-2009, 11:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

Well said Elspeth. Shape up or get out... of the royal limelight that is.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:28 PM
Courtier

Let's face it - B is immature and holds a false sense of identity as being different and special. With lavish personal security, she is set apart from her peers - no waiting in lines and no refusal of a table at nightclubs --- park illegally to run into a boutique? No problem (unless your car is stolen) the Palace will handle the police ticket - Life is a blast!
I can't believe that her college (?) doesn't insist that students go out and do community service as the colleges and universities do here in the USA.
Woe to the American high school senior who sends out college applications without community service highlighted in their resume. This is drummed into students at a young age.
B compared to most 20 year olds is silly and acts young for her age - Mummy is silly and TRIES to act young for her age. Like mother, like daughter - add Andrew into the mix and it is a mess.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

One of the best comments yet, pamk! You told it like it is, imo. Do you think that Any of them will grow up (or wake up) to the facts??
Old 02-06-2009, 05:09 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
I totally agree w this.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Serene Highness

Excellent post, Menarue. Well said.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:34 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamk View Post
Let's face it - B is immature and holds a false sense of identity as being different and special. With lavish personal security, she is set apart from her peers - no waiting in lines and no refusal of a table at nightclubs --- park illegally to run into a boutique? No problem (unless your car is stolen) the Palace will handle the police ticket - Life is a blast!
I can't believe that her college (?) doesn't insist that students go out and do community service as the colleges and universities do here in the USA.
Woe to the American high school senior who sends out college applications without community service highlighted in their resume. This is drummed into students at a young age.
B compared to most 20 year olds is silly and acts young for her age - Mummy is silly and TRIES to act young for her age. Like mother, like daughter - add Andrew into the mix and it is a mess.

FANTASTIC on all counts. Truly! I agree completely, PamK.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 02-06-2009, 05:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamk View Post
I can certainly believe it, if UK universities are anything like ours. Here acceptance is based on objective criteria only. The terminology and method of calculating the mark has changed since I did it, but essentially if your Higher School Certificate marks are high enough to satisfy the course's minimum entry requirement, you get in. Once you're there, the only thing the university is interested in is whether or not you pass your exams; it doesn't try to make you into a "good" person. That's my experience anyway.

Tags
career, education, princess beatrice, princess eugenie, royal duties, social life, styles and titles