The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-31-2009, 09:11 PM
Serene Highness

Part of the problem, imo, is that these girls are not like everybody else. If they were, who'd care if they lived in a nightclub. I look at it like this, Pss B & E have been born (thus not their fault) into a world of immense priviledge and luxury. Short of the sort of revolutions that saw the demise (and murders) of the Russian and French royal families, these girls are "set for life." They don't have to worry about getting good-paying jobs, they don't have to worry about how they're going to pay their mortgages or if they'll ever go hungry, etc., etc. More-than-likely they won't have to sacrifice anything (except maybe a certain amount of privacy). And to top it off, the British taxpayer - many of whom are struggling at the moment - are footing the bill for this lifestyle (Prince Andrew's pension would in no way cover nearly half of these girls' expenses and he does not have a money-making venture like the Duchy of Cornwall). Once again, I say if the York girls took some of their time and worked, say in a hospital or something, or at least volunteered so many hours a week (yes, in addition to going to university - thousands of other kids their age do it) there probably wouldn't be such a backlash. If they want to enjoy a lifestyle that is so far removed from those in their community, then they need to give something back to the community. Perhaps they should read the biographies on Grandpapa Hilton or Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney or even Bill Gates and learn a bit on enjoying vast wealth yet addressing the needs of others as well. (Hilton and Whitney, born into wealth like the York girls, began their charitable actions at about the age B & E are now, Gates - who earned his own fortune - came into his wealth a bit later in life but was involved w charities early on).

Old 01-31-2009, 10:37 PM
Majesty

Andrew and the girls are supported by the Queen from the Duchy of Lancaster estate (as well as his pension) and his inheritance from his grandmother. Of course, when he does official duties those expenses are covered by the state - but then again Andrew, in those circumstances, is working for the state.

The taxpayers are paying for the protection these girls get which does cause a lot of people to get angry at the antics of these girls.

They are still being educated so I wonder why they aren't getting the same press protection that was afforded William and Harry at the same stages of their lives. You can't tell me that William didn't get smashed while at St Andrews but it didn't make the front pages but when Bea does her behaviour is published. I think she should be getting the same protection from the press that William got at St Andrews and the same goes for Eugenie.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:33 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

It's about location, isn't it? Had William chosen to go to uni in London, and had he gotten smashed at clubs where paparazzi are known to be, that deal with the media about access surely would have been blown out of the water. It worked because he removed himself from the media spotlight. Bea has chosen to stay in the capital and stay in the spotlight.

Should Eugenie choose to stay in London, I would expect the same for her next year, but if she goes out of the city to study in another part of the country with a smaller population and fewer clubs with photographers buzzing around, I imagine we'll see far less of her antics reported in the press.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 01-31-2009, 11:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Both York girls just Love the publicity and they will always find ways to be in the public eye. I doubt that we will find fewer antics from either one of them. Just imho...
Old 02-01-2009, 12:19 AM
Heir Apparent

That's an interesting thought, Iluvbertie. I wonder why there wasn't this sort of agreement made for Beatrice and Eugenie? They are as much HM's grandchildren as William and Harry are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I think she should be getting the same protection from the press that William got at St Andrews and the same goes for Eugenie.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:33 AM
Majesty

There was a formal agreement in place between St James' Palace and the media. Remember the controversy when Edward's company were the ones that broke the agreement.

If the paparazzi had really wanted to go to St Andrews to get the photos they could have done so. It isn't that far from London.

Why isn't there the same agreement in place for these girls is what I want to know?
Old 02-01-2009, 01:54 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Right -- that's the media deal I referenced in the post. I think that the only reason that the deal was possible is that William was deliberately moving himself away from London and the locus of all of this spectacle. I don't know why a similar deal wasn't made for Beatrice -- because she's not the heir to the heir, I suppose? -- but I'm not sure that such a deal would work in London anyway. It would be pretty tough to swallow the idea that Bea should be "left alone" and her privacy protected when she's going to places known to be hotbeds for paparazzi.

HM The Queen
Old 02-01-2009, 06:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by udyusa View Post
Both York girls just Love the publicity and they will always find ways to be in the public eye. I doubt that we will find fewer antics from either one of them. Just imho...
That's an interesting thought. Plus: with their ongoing presence in the media they have successfully elevated "Sarah, Duchess of York" back to "The Duchess of York" when it comes to their mother in various articles.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:01 AM
Majesty

However the deal was made before he decided on a university - Charles did it while both the boys were still at school and it covered the entire time they were being educated. This applied while they were at Eton as well.

Just because the paps are taking photos doesn't mean they have to publish them and if a deal had been made then the photos and stories simply wouldn't be being published.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:27 AM
Nobility

William and Harry were protected by their mother's death

The circumstances of her death (being chased by the paps) combined with the tender ages of William and Harry made them off limits. If they had been hounded whilst at school there would have been a public backlash.

I also agree that location made a difference. St. Andrews is not as convenient as a London school. They were also buffered by the military while attending Sandhurst.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Agreed. If something similar were to have been put in place for Beatrice and Eugenie, it would have had to have happened years ago.
I can't seem to recall either of them or their parents lodging a formal complaint about press attention--perhaps it's not bothering them all that much.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Why would they 'lodge a complaint' when they all love to be in the spot-light so to speak? I don't remember either of the girls complaining about being photographed, much less Sarah.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, that's my point. Perhaps the paparazzi haven't been so intrusive with them as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by udyusa View Post
Why would they 'lodge a complaint' when they all love to be in the spot-light so to speak? I don't remember either of the girls complaining about being photographed, much less Sarah.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:44 PM
Gentry

I think we all need to remember that their role model is their mother, who loves nightclubs and partying, loves to take expensive holidays, and loves publicity.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Not a good combination for a couple of princesses IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy's mom View Post
I think we all need to remember that their role model is their mother, who loves nightclubs and partying, loves to take expensive holidays, and loves publicity.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:17 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

It was also agreed between the Royal Family and the tabloid press that William would be allowed to study free of paparazzi intrusion in exchange for regular updates of the Prince's life. Then chairman of the Press Complaints Commission, John Wakeham, said of the arrangement: "Prince William is not an institution; nor a soap star; nor a football hero. He is a child: in the next few years, perhaps the most important and sometimes painful of his life, he will grow up and become a man."

I believe this agreement was in place when William went to Eton, it may of lasted until he went to Saint Andrews i don't know??

I agree that their mother is their role model and she seems to do is party, which is unfair for Beatrice and Eugenie. But they are old enough now to decide how they run their life.

x
Old 02-02-2009, 04:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
I agree that their mother is their role model and she seems to do is party, which is unfair for Beatrice and Eugenie. But they are old enough now to decide how they run their life.
Yes, they could turn out a Caroline or a Stephanie of Monaco. Both loved parties when they were young, but while Caroline could change her image Stephanie still suffers from hers (okay, she led a much wilder life than her sister). Even though Stephanie has calmed down a lot these last years. But still they were a kind of "glitter"-princesses, suitable for their operetta-state by the Med Sea, but surely not role models for British princesses whose country still is known for the dignity of its people.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Not a good combination for a couple of princesses IMO.
I'm hoping that "SuperGran," as Eugenie calls her, will be more and more of an inspiration as the princesses mature.

HM The Queen
Old 02-02-2009, 03:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Kay View Post
I'm hoping that "SuperGran," as Eugenie calls her, will be more and more of an inspiration as the princesses mature.
And then there are aunts Anne and Camilla....
Old 02-02-2009, 03:33 PM
Heir Apparent

I couldn't agree with you more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Kay View Post

Tags
career, education, princess beatrice, princess eugenie, royal duties, social life, styles and titles