The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-15-2008, 09:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
Thank you, Roslyn. I read this but it doesn't concern Royal titles or the titles of foreign Royals married to British citizens, just the titles of nobility which were acquired through foreign service (eg The duke of Wellington had been granted the title of a Spanish (or Portugese?) count and his heirs use it. Other British citizens worked for the emperor, so were granted titles of the Holy Roman empire).
I can't find anything specifically addressing the issue, but I think the answer lies in general principles.

A member of a foreign Royal family who is not the sovereign is really only a commoner unless he/she has a title, and would be caught by the provisions relating to nobility if he/she has a title. If they have a foreign title they will be be required to acknowledge at the time they apply for British citizenship that the title will not receive official recognition. That person might be known as "HRH" in their own country but the HRH is only a style, not a title, and any "Prince" or "Princess" attached to it is only a courtesy title. Once out of the home monarch's domain, the courtesy title means nothing unless HM recognises it, which she can do at her whim, and seems to have done in the 1981 case. And I am sure it all goes back to the "divided loyalty" argument relied on in Arundell of Wardour.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:23 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
I only reacted to your saying that Camilla has "yet to earn her keep", that says IMHO that she is a kept woman. So I had the impression that this was your opinion and was curious why you would say this when Camilla is married to the man who pays for her keep...
She's 'kept' by the public as a senior royal member who is married to a future King of England. In other words on tax payer's keep until they decide otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
The visits are purely on a private basis, for the good of the men and women she meets, not to bulk up her image.No we cannot agree that Andrew does a good job, nor do his daughters, whatever their age.
As already stated by Charlotte1, all 'informal' visits by Camilla or Charles are published and on public display. No need to have 20 different cameras to do your job.

Quote:
The best bet for Andrew and his daughters, IMO, is to lose the HRH and fade into obscurity in America.
you lost me there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1 View Post
The link you provided that has Tim O'Donovan's figures don't show private meetings, only the public ones which are in The Court Circular, therefore we still don't know about the private briefings that Andrew has. (or other royals except Charles and Camilla as Clarence House does publish those details)
Quote:
As far as not paying for a private visit, the Trade and Investment board expenses are audited, if Andrew used them to pay for his hotel, trip expenses when he wasn't on an official visit, the information can be discovered and more than likely become front page news! It hasn't, hasn't in the past either so while it's easy to criticise that he attaches a private visit to a public one, it doesn't follow that he uses their money to pay for it. The Trade and Investment board are accountable for their expenses, as is Andrew when he's on an official trip with them.
Thanks for the info, I'm a stickler for facts and reasonable arguments

Old 01-16-2008, 02:07 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Why don't we stick to Beatrice and Eugenie?
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 01-16-2008, 06:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamyah View Post
She's 'kept' by the public as a senior royal member who is married to a future King of England. In other words on tax payer's keep until they decide otherwise.
No tax payers money pays for the upkeep of Charles or Camilla, their income is derived from the Duchy of Cornwall!
Quote:
As already stated by Charlotte1, all 'informal' visits by Camilla or Charles are published and on public display. No need to have 20 different cameras to do your job.
No, they are not, just because another poster states something that you agree with, it doesn't make it fact. I would hope that people take the time to read the links provided by both sides.
Quote:
Thanks for the info, I'm a stickler for facts and reasonable arguments
??????The facts for the other side of the coin are in these posts and links, especially the ones stating that he has not repaid the taxpayers and how some 'expense receipts' do not have to be produced, by ministers or any government representative.
I honestly feel that Beatrice and probably Eugenie are perhaps best to stick to the 'celebrity' path their mother has taken. I can only speak for myself, but so far, I would rather she was not seen as representative of UK royalty.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:25 AM
Aristocracy

Bea is given a lesson in leadership | the Daily Mail

The irony.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:12 AM
Courtier

Quote:
!No, they are not, just because another poster states something that you agree with, it doesn't make it fact. I would hope that people take the time to read the links provided by both sides.??????.
Clarence House does publish the private work of Charles and Camilla, it's done I think at the end of the financial year. I was surprised by the detail it went into especially as it specifically stated, things like exactly how many letters Charles received and how many he personally answered. This kind of detail is not given by Buckingham Palace on other royals.

The Trade and Investment Board is a government entity therefore it has to be held accountable for its expenses. ( Its members are not MPs, therefore The Independent article doesn't apply here) It's not a private company where nothing needs to be disclosed. The other members who travel on these business trips are paid members of the Board, Andrew is not paid by the Board, although his expenses are covered. ( But since it seems Beatrice is actually attending some meetings as "royal duty training" it's been made publicly known that Andrew paid for her airfares and not the Board) These Trade and Investment trips have a team of people going from the Board, it's not just Andrew and his staff, all of them have an expenses paid trip to drum up trade. The other members also receive a salary.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGoalHighDreams View Post
Even though it is Kay in the Mail, it is at least a link, so thank you. Why do you think it is ironic though, do you question Andrews ability to teach leadership, (I certainly question anyones ability to teach leadership)? I still don't think 2 hours observation is anything other than an excuse for a holiday. Whilst he may have paid for her flights, there is no mention of who has paid for everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte 1 View Post
Its members are not MPs, therefore The Independent article doesn't apply here) It's not a private company where nothing needs to be disclosed. The other members who travel on these business trips are paid members of the Board, Andrew is not paid by the Board, although his expenses are covered. ( ^^^But since it seems Beatrice is actually attending some meetings as "royal duty training" it's been made publicly known that Andrew paid for her airfares and not the Board) These Trade and Investment trips have a team of people going from the Board, it's not just Andrew and his staff, all of them have an expenses paid trip to drum up trade. The other members also receive a salary.The Trade and Investment Board is a government entity therefore it has to be held accountable for its expenses.
I am confused, who do you think pays his salary? I find it hard to call 2 hours observation, royal duty training! The rules governing Private companies are very strict and receipts have to be produced for virtually everything, even the estate has to provide detailed receipts. Fuel used, although claim backable, has to be proven to have been used for Estate related work, cost of corporate gifts is limited, etc, etc! Whilst Andrew may not be a minister, the same rules extend, as you say, to all on the trip and as employess of the government, they do not have to provide full detail of where the expenses occured.
Neither the government nor any government office release this information and are taking steps to block disclosure under the FOIA.
The T&I do not have to itemise all expenses incurred.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:43 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I am confused, who do you think pays his salary? Whilst Andrew may not be a minister, the same rules extend to as you say to all on the trip and as employess of the government, they do not have to provide detail where the expenses occured.
Neither the government nor any government office release this information and are taking steps to block dfisclosure under the FOIA.
The T&I do not have to itemise all expenses incurred.
Andrew is not paid a salary by The Trade and Investment Board, the other members of this board who travel on the same trips as him are paid a salary from the Trade and Investment Board.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Andrew is not paid a salary by The Trade and Investment Board, the other members of this board who travel on the same trips as him are paid a salary from the Trade and Investment Board.
So why do you think he is paid, as SR for Trade and Investments £355,992 of UK taxpayers money each year, if it is not a salary?
Prince Andrew: The playboy prince - Independent Online Edition > Profiles
Old 01-16-2008, 09:26 AM
Courtier

Quote:
So why do you think he is paid, as SR for Trade and Investments £355,992 of UK taxpayers money each year, if it is not a salary?
Prince Andrew: The playboy prince - Independent Online Edition > Profiles
From his official site
Quote:
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']The Duke is not paid for his work as Special Representative however his travel expenses are met by UK Trade and Investment and the Department of Transport.[/FONT]
Old 01-16-2008, 09:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
From his official site
Why then is he paid anything by UK taxpayers? It is reported to be around £500,000 now, that's an awful lot of travel expenses!

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/thi...cle2494221.ece

Perhaps instead of telling us that he is 'cheap at the price', he ought to tell us what benefit he has brought to the UK. probably nothing that ordinary staff didn't achieve.

It puzzles me how anyone could think that 2 hours out of however many days (at least 6 so far), constitutes instruction for Beatrice, in Royal Duties.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:15 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Why then is he paid anything by UK taxpayers? It is reported to be around £500,000 now, that's an awful lot of travel expenses!

Duke of York Interview: '£500k: it's cheap at the price' - Independent Online Edition > This Britain

Perhaps instead of telling us that he is 'cheap at the price', he ought to tell us what benefit he has brought to the UK. probably nothing that ordinary staff didn't achieve.
The 500,000 pounds ( hmmm just discovered I don't have a pounds symbol on my keyboard!) is for the 'trade mission', not just Andrew personally. That means it's all the travelling expenses of the group of people who attend the trade mission, and probably consultants fees. A few years back I saw the trade mission that was with the Danish royals, they had 30 people following in their wake! I doubt very much if the Trade and Investment trade missions are just Andrew and a valet, there would be various business people making contacts to sign up contracts for British businesses. I think Andrew's official site has some recommendations from some of the business leaders who have gone on these trade missions. All of the people on the trade mission would have their expenses paid for, hence the 500,000 pounds.There are alot of these trade missions during the year, Andrew would be on one at least once a month, some are a few days some of the longer ones last 2 weeks.

Obviously these trade missions are audited otherwise where do journalists get these figures? How would they know that Andrew used a helicopter and the cost to see some Arab business person, if it wasn't listed in the expenses audit? Also it seems the audit is public domain so it possible to see what money is spent by people on the Trade and Investment board, including Andrew.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:50 AM

Cheap at the price? This guy really irritates me.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
The 500,000 pounds ( hmmm just discovered I don't have a pounds symbol on my keyboard!) is for the 'trade mission', not just Andrew personally.
I quote from the article - This makes it easy for critics to question whether the £500,000 bill that the taxpayer will have to foot for his UKTI work this year is value for money..
I think you will find that the UKTI spends more than £500,000 on sending it's staff on missions, so although he is part of a team, their expenses are shown separately. Business Interview: The Duke Of York - Independent Online Edition > Business Analysis & Features
Quote:
Obviously these trade missions are audited otherwise where do journalists get these figures? How would they know that Andrew used a helicopter and the cost to see some Arab business person, if it wasn't listed in the expenses audit? Also it seems the audit is public domain so it possible to see what money is spent by people on the Trade and Investment board, including Andrew.
I have not said that they are not subject to audit, just that certain amounts of money are allowed to be spent, without submitting separate receipts. As a simple example and it is only an example, Andrew can say that he spent £500 on taxi's in Egypt, £500 on non alcoholic drinks, £500 extra each day on 'entertaining', they are called 'personal non taxable expenditure' and as no receipt is required, not subject to audit. The cost of a helicopter flight to Scotland or elsewhere, is not a personal expense, it is classed as a cost.
We are clearly not going to agree on this, and as we are supposed to be discussing duties for B & E, IES we could continue this by PM, if you require.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:00 PM

^ I do not see any documents posted on his website: The Duke of York > Home
I am surprised he charges half a million to the taxpayers, as I was under the impression many of his flight expenses were covered by wealthy business people, like that Jeffrey Epstein guy, and probably a few Arabic oil magnates.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
^ I do not see any documents posted on his website: The Duke of York > Home
I am surprised he charges half a million to the taxpayers, as I was under the impression many of his flight expenses were covered by wealthy business people, like that Jeffrey Epstein guy, and probably a few Arabic oil magnates.
Business Interview: The Duke Of York - Independent Online Edition > Business Analysis & Features
Duke of York Interview: '£500k: it's cheap at the price' - Independent Online Edition > This Britain

It's amazing to see that he has managed, yet again, to tie his 'work' in with a golf tournament!
Old 01-16-2008, 02:47 PM
Serene Highness

Oh, it's no secret Andrew likes golf. I think people are too hard on him though. He works a lot, he fits a bit of leisure time in with his work from time to time. I don't think his current trip to Egypt with Beatrice sounds like a vacation. In large part Andrew was doing his work (meeting foreign officials) and Beatrice was tagging along. I don't know how that's supposed to be a "vacation" for either one of them. And if they went to see the Valley of the Kings, why not? If I were accompanying my dad on a business trip to Egypt and he had the means to show me some of Egypt's greatest sights, I'd hope he would do the same as Andrew did for Beatrice.

500,000 pounds does seem like a lot for taxpayers to have to fund. I don't think this has anything to do with Andrew's work ethic, though.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
The 500,000 pounds ( hmmm just discovered I don't have a pounds symbol on my keyboard!)
If you have a PC rather than a Mac, hit NumLock on the keypad. Then while holding down the Alt button, key in 0163 on the keypad. When you release Alt, you should have the £ sign. Then you can hit NumLock again to turn it off.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
Oh, it's no secret Andrew likes golf. I think people are too hard on him though. He works a lot, he fits a bit of leisure time in with his work from time to time. I don't think his current trip to Egypt with Beatrice sounds like a vacation. In large part Andrew was doing his work (meeting foreign officials) and Beatrice was tagging along. I don't know how that's supposed to be a "vacation" for either one of them. And if they went to see the Valley of the Kings, why not? If I were accompanying my dad on a business trip to Egypt and he had the means to show me some of Egypt's greatest sights, I'd hope he would do the same as Andrew did for Beatrice.

500,000 pounds does seem like a lot for taxpayers to have to fund. I don't think this has anything to do with Andrew's work ethic, though.
The problem is, to me, that he is being paid with my money and we certainly do not see a lot of work being done. He gets enough money and 'freebies' to ensure that he keeps his jollies separate from his work. It is amazing that with all the criticism levelled at him for tying in his 'official' duties, with a golf tournament in the past (more than once I hasten to add), that he would rub our faces in it and do it again! One has to wonder whether this trip would have been had Andrew at the helm, if there had been no golf tournament?

If I were to send an employee to represent my company, I would not expect them to have their child tagging along, their mind should be only on the job they are to do, not wondering what the child is doing. To try to pass it off as 'teaching her' is an insult to everybody's intelligence! Either he is working or he is on holiday, if he is on holiday, then all expenses should be paid by him.

He is abusing his position and IMO dragging the UK monarchy closer to a republic!
Old 01-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

If I were to send an employee to represent my company, I would not expect them to have their child tagging along, their mind should be only on the job they are to do, not wondering what the child is doing. To try to pass it off as 'teaching her' is an insult to everybody's intelligence! Either he is working or he is on holiday, if he is on holiday, then all expenses should be paid by him.
Just a quick point. It's not uncommon for "regular" people to bring their children with them if they are going somewhere interesting abroad - and the child is sufficiently aged to not require constant minding by the adult. In the past, I've gone with my Dad on trips with his work - and it worked out perfectly fine. I've stayed occupied while he fulfilled the work-portion of the event and we had fun exploring together after it was done. It has been similar for quite a few friends of mine - whose parents work in a broad range of careers. The extra costs of having an additional person along is covered by the person bringing the person, whether it be child or spouse.

Andrew and Beatrice here, to me, aren't doing anything out of the ordinary. *shrugs*

Tags
career, education, princess beatrice, princess eugenie, royal duties, social life, styles and titles