Career Options for Princess Beatrice

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Had she had a part-time job the criticism would have been just that - taking a job away from someone who needed it - she is in a no-win situation really.

Good point! Personally, I think working from a young age forces you to develop invaluable business, interpersonal and time management skills that some people never learn. But you are right that there would have been a backlash for the Queen's grandchildren had they worked.

I think she will get married and have children as her primary function. In fact, if Kate has no more children, her children might be "spares" (all depending on what Harry does in marriage and parenting). I think she will lead the life royals have usually led, if female, that is, getting married, having children, and eventually doing charity work. I doubt that the need for royals to do community work will be limited to the Cambridges and Harry's.
The older royals will retire, the Gloucesters, for instance. After she has children she will be more mature and able to do "Gloucester" type jobs, although who could ever do them as well as Richard and Birgitta?
I just hope that whatever the York girls do it is not conspicuous partying. That would be the saddest future for them. Anything else would be fine!

I just hope that whatever the York girls do it is not conspicuous partying. That would be the saddest future for them. Anything else would be fine!

They don't do much of that now. They're photographed out with friends sometimes, but never really doing anything scandalous or untoward. They seem pretty down to earth.

I actually thought it was interesting to get a glimpse at another side of Beatrice last year, with the documentary about the Queen that mentioned that Beatrice had personally overseen the refurbishment of the Wendy house the queen was given as a little girl that is on the grounds of Royal Lodge. I bet they both have a lot of little projects like that which keep them interested and engaged and doing something. We just don't hear about them.

I didn't start working at all until after I had finished uni as my family believed that as they could support me it was better if the part-time job I might have got went to some young person whose family needed the money and not to someone who didn't.

Same here. My husband graduated fron uni when he was 26, and aside from some internships only got his job after graduation. I was 29 when I graduated and then started my own company (first job aside from a few internships). B&E have both done internships, I believe.
Why find a job, which would only distract from your studies, if it is financially not needed?

Same here. My husband graduated fron uni when he was 26, and aside from some internships only got his job after graduation. I was 29 when I graduated and then started my own company (first job aside from a few internships). B&E have both done internships, I believe.
Why find a job, which would only distract from your studies, if it is financially not needed?

Personally I worked from 16 because I had too, even through university. Even if I had been super rich I wouldn't want to be in the situation of being in my mid 20s and never having had a job.

For royals, I think the public would think more highly of royals if they had a job (before being a full time royal) otherwise they will be in the situation of being like Kate who never had a proper job before becoming royal.

Last edited:
I started working after I graduated from high school (it was a part-time job). I have to work and even if I didn't have to work, I would be bored if I didn't have a job. As much as I like shopping, going to parties and doing other such things, after a while that gets old.

Whas is interesting is that if a royal gets a job they are criticized for working and if they don't have a job they they are criticized for not working.

:previous:

You also get criticised for working for your family because that this obviously not real work.:lol:

Whas is interesting is that if a royal gets a job they are criticized for working and if they don't have a job they they are criticized for not working.

It's more like the royal is criticized for either being lazy (regardless of whether or not he/she is lazy) and wasting tax payers dollars or for not doing their royal duty.

To me it seems as though unless Royals are made constantly available to the press/public they're critiqued on their behaviour - they aren't doing enough, or what they're doing isn't the right thing. Catherine is criticized for easing her way into Royal life, William and Harry for not embracing it and having actual jobs. Beatrice and Eugenie seem to be working towards having actual jobs while also undertaking smaller royal roles, but because they aren't parading around saying "I'm doing this!" it's assumed they're doing nothing and acting as hanger ons.

It's more like the royal is criticized for either being lazy (regardless of whether or not he/she is lazy) and wasting tax payers dollars or for not doing their royal duty.

To me it seems as though unless Royals are made constantly available to the press/public they're critiqued on their behaviour - they aren't doing enough, or what they're doing isn't the right thing. Catherine is criticized for easing her way into Royal life, William and Harry for not embracing it and having actual jobs. Beatrice and Eugenie seem to be working towards having actual jobs while also undertaking smaller royal roles, but because they aren't parading around saying "I'm doing this!" it's assumed they're doing nothing and acting as hanger ons.

Beatrice does have a job, and she seems to be making an effort. I think he girl should be cut some slack - she is doing just what I think she should, ie building a career for herself independent of The Firm.

...For royals, I think the public would think more highly of royals if they had a job (before being a full time royal) otherwise they will be in the situation of being like Kate who never had a proper job before becoming royal.
People often make a huge mistake that having a 'job' means only having your wages paid by another.

Carole Middleton became an entrepreneur when she started a small home business - Party Pieces. When the business became a success, Michael quit his job and together they took the business to a very successful level. Often with entrepreneurship (self-employment) or running a new business - it's not easy, it's hard work and long hours to get it done.

This is the model that Kate - and Pippa and James - grew up with. Pippa has worked at 'jobs' but she has also written a book (self-employed). James started a cake business. Whether self-employed or starting their own business were successes or failures is a moot point.

It does not make sense that Kate - the first born and therefore usually the most ambitious - would be 'lazy'. It is noted in her official biography (click here for Biography ) that after graduation, she worked for Party Pieces - at the same time as she worked as a part-time buyer for Jigsaw, and launched "First Birthdays" for Party Pieces in 2008. However, all that most people see is that Kate only had a part-time job - her paid wages from Jigsaw.

Sometimes I think that the York girls would be better off developing their own business(es) and forget about 'jobs' or working for the BRF.

Last edited:
Getting back to Beatrice, she does work full-time but also helps out the BRF. I noticed in Court Circular this morning that she attended the Reception for the British film industry at Windsor Castle last night.

Is Beatrice still unemployed? Aside from the fact that she wants to live in New York, surely out of all of the royal palaces and estates, a suitable job can easily be found/created?

Even if she was a tour guide at BP, at least she would be working.

Is Beatrice still unemployed? Aside from the fact that she wants to live in New York, surely out of all of the royal palaces and estates, a suitable job can easily be found/created?

Even if she was a tour guide at BP, at least she would be working.

Why would she? If she wants to live the life of a lady to the manor born, filling her days with overseeing the management of the Household and "typical ladies' charities" (fundraising for the repair of the local parish church, support the local food bank, etc.) then she has that choice. Why not.

Beatrice has an option to do things that the vast majority of people in the world don't. She doesn't need to have a career or work a job to pay the rent, put food on the table or support herself and very well could be dabbling in things by internships until the time comes that she settles down, marries and has her own children. She does patronize/sponsor many charities and it wouldn't surprise me that eventually she'll use her business experience to be very actively involved in specific charities.

I think the fact Beatrice has so many options and instead seems to be going on constant vacations etc is what makes people a little mad. She really could be helping but besides showing up to parties and being pictured holidaying on friends yachts doesn't seem to be doing all that much. Oh and she goes to Ascot etc all fun things. She left work over six months ago and this finance job in New York seems to be non existant. Beatrice needs to work out what she wants to do does she really want a career in which case she really needs to work at it or does she want to do charity work and not worry about working? If it is charity work she needs to actually be seen doing something other then going on all these holidays.

Beatrice doesn't seem to have done anything permanent since graduating 4 years ago. Of course she doesn't need to work but it would be a waste of her skills and potential if she chose not to do so.

There must be countless opportunities within the royal palaces to work in finance, history, artwork, marketing, sales or even as a tour guide, which guests would be willing to pay a premium to meet a royal.

I think being a tour guide at Buckingham or Kensington Palace for small private parties of visitors is an excellent idea. Beatrice might be a little bit shy for that sort of thing though, and I have an idea Andrew would object to it.

I think being a tour guide might be perhaps a bit too, er, common for a member of the Royal family (and I say this having being a tour guide myself, at the U.S. Capitol. But I had that position because I was an unpaid intern and they tend to leave that stuff to the lowliest people on the staff, at least for small group tours). I realize there are all kinds of tour guides at different places (I've also been on a lot of tours), but it would seem a bit bizarre to me for a member of the Royal family to do that. I'm not sure Beatrice would think it a good idea, and I can only imagine what the press would say.

It would certainly be nice for Beatrice to find something to focus on, though. She's bright and educated and I'd think it'd be awfully boring to not have something on which she can focus, even if it's not a typical 9-to-5 job (which I don't really expect her to do, and, anyway, she has no need to). I'm sure there are plenty of areas in which there are opportunities for her, be it with charities, or within one of the palaces, or some other outside way to pursue an interest. And I say that less out of concern for how things appear to outsiders, but rather in hoping that she finds something fulfilling. Beatrice is about my age and most girls I know or know of go out and find a job or an interest of some kind, even if they're wealthy and/or planning to settle down and perhaps not pursue a career in the long term.

I find it quite sad that an educated, wealthy, young woman who has the potential introduction to any organisation or institution she chooses cannot find an interest or cause she is sufficiently passionate about to want to pursue a career. Participating in the odd charity project is not the same as committing yourself by working on a regular basis and seeing projects through in the longer term. I don't think it is a healthy situation for someone in Beatrice's position to appear to have no purpose to her life beyond that connected to her personal and social life.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I find it quite sad that an educated, wealthy, young woman who has the potential introduction to any organisation or institution she chooses cannot find an interest or cause she is sufficiently passionate about to want to pursue a career. Participating in the odd charity project is not the same as committing yourself by working on a regular basis and seeing projects through in the longer term. I don't think it is a healthy situation for someone in Beatrice's position to appear to have no purpose to her life beyond that connected to her personal and social life.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I agree so much with you. But maybe for some royals the working on a regular basis is boring or tired for them. Besides they have to go to so many parties and of course they have to going and vacation to the rest.

I think what we need to do here too is remember that what we see of Beatrice's life is only that which comes to us from what the media has been able to find out about. We really have no clue what she does in her day to day life or what it involves and as a private citizen, she has no obligation to inform the public of what she is doing.

Its important for us to remember I think that it may only look like she's not really doing anything constructive with her time. We really don't know.

We need to remember that there are plenty of royals in Europe who have no worries for life but nevertheless make (or made) a career. But... if these royals wanted to have a private life somewhere on an estate and dedicate himself to that estate, that would have been perfect as well.

An example is Prince Gustav zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg, the son of Prince Richard and Princess Benedikte (née Princess of Denmark). He manages the enormous family assets. But when you ask: "What is his occupation?" Then eeeeerrrrhhhh... he has none, he manages the family estate. So it is not easy to stick a label on it, it is often not a job, it is part of their life.

Look at Downton Abbey (in reality Highclere Castle) and look at the Earl of Grantham (in reality the Earl of Carnarvon). In both the series as well in real life the Earl has no regular job. Nevertheless he is a very busy man, whom has more things to do than he has time for...

Princess Beatrice should marry someone like Lord George Percy, Earl Percy, the son of the Duke of Northumberland. Then she can be very busy as the (future) lady of Alnwick Castle. Problem solved.

:lol:

Back
Top Bottom