Career Options for Princess Beatrice

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Meadow said:
I really think if Bea was looking for work that we would hear about it. !

We have. I don't know which thread it was in but Diarist posted a part of an article that stated Beatrice was looking for internships I believe.

According to BP, at the time of her graduation, she was supposed to be looking for some internships but that was four months ago and ever since then all she appears to have done is party and holiday.

If she is looking for internships she could be keeping a low profile about it as she wouldn't want to put undue pressure on the company to take her over someone else. According to the DM there are on average 23 people for every job in Britain at the moment so she might be biding her time - but she needs to be seen to be doing something constructive and soon - even accompanying 'Granny' occasionally while 'Grandpa' rests wouldn't hurt her image - not to do it officially but just as a companion - like Sophie does at Christmas.

Many of the employment possibilities suggested for Beatrice are in highly-competitive fields, and she'll be in for criticism if she gets one!

Museums have been mentioned; I don't know about Britain, but many in the US have a hiring freeze. The few jobs available have many many applicants with much better qualifications than Beatrice has.

It's the same in publishing or fashion, many more applicants than positions.

There are so many organizations out there that need volunteers. Beatrice could even take a short-term position in a Commonwealth country to help out with a project. I have nothing against Beatrice socializing, but I do think that she needs to be seen doing something "to give back" as well.:flowers:

According to the DM there are on average 23 people for every job in Britain at the moment so she might be biding her time - but she needs to be seen to be doing something constructive and soon - even accompanying 'Granny' occasionally while 'Grandpa' rests wouldn't hurt her image - not to do it officially but just as a companion - like Sophie does at Christmas.

I think Beatrice will marry within the next two years. I don't think she'll ever work.

KittyAtlanta said:
I think Beatrice will marry within the next two years. I don't think she'll ever work.

Do you think she won't work because she's married or because she doesn't want to?

There are a number of professions she could go into, if she really wanted to. Yes, there are a number of applicants for every job, but if she truely gets the job on her merits, she should not worry about any adverse press comment. She could go into Accountancy, the Law, teaching, catering, Media (Production), Academia.... the list goes on and on. Its the willingness to commit and work hard that employers (and the British public at large) will look at.

Unfortunately, I think that you are spot-on. I would be very surprised if we ever see Beatrice do any real work. She does not appear to have any ambition to be either a working royal or to work in the business world.

:previous:I don't think I would classify the possibility of her never working as "unfortunate." I know I enjoyed being a housewife. Although Beatrice has a college degree that is no indication as to whether or not she is suited to or wants to do any kind of work. She should have her own choice.

:previous:I don't think I would classify the possibility of her never working as "unfortunate." I know I enjoyed being a housewife. Although Beatrice has a college degree that is no indication as to whether or not she is suited to or wants to do any kind of work. She should have her own choice.

Unless you have a cleaning lady, a housekeeper, a cook, a chauffeur for all the errands and a gardener...being a housewife is work. So is being a stay-at-home mother (provided you don't employ nannies) and it's not an easy job.

If Beatrice is not going to be a working member of the BRF and the public purse is no longer funding any of her expenses...ie.security, then she definitely should be allowed to live her life as she chooses.

There are a number of professions she could go into, if she really wanted to. Yes, there are a number of applicants for every job, but if she truely gets the job on her merits, she should not worry about any adverse press comment. She could go into Accountancy, the Law, teaching, catering, Media (Production), Academia.... the list goes on and on. Its the willingness to commit and work hard that employers (and the British public at large) will look at.

I don't know about the UK but here in Australia to enter Accountancy you need to have some Maths ability - Beatrice didn't even do Maths for her A levels.

She would need to do a degree in Law surely to practice that - she hasn't done one so back to uni for another 4 or so years would be necessary - and I am not sure she actually has the brains - based on her A levels and her uni results.

Teaching - she would need to do more study - to actually get a teaching qualification

Catering - no qualifications at all

Media - no qualifications

Academia - again back to uni to do further study.

She has no real qualifications (having a degree in History myself gives my some insight to what this could lead to) yet - to work with a Hsitory degree you generally need additional qualifications (in my case my teaching qualification).

Working in a Musuem or the archives is possible if she is to do some on the job training - as happens with many of these positions - and the royal archives would be the best as she would also be working in a secure environment using her history as a basis but...if she got a job there it wouldn't be on merit as much as who 'granny' is and so she would be criticised.

There are so many organizations out there that need volunteers. Beatrice could even take a short-term position in a Commonwealth country to help out with a project. I have nothing against Beatrice socializing, but I do think that she needs to be seen doing something "to give back" as well.:flowers:

Why only in a Commonwealth country?

William worked in Chile in his gap year on a project - a non-Commonwealth country - why couldn't Beatrice do something like that - there are thousands of such projects around the world and most of them are in non-commonwealth countries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you have a cleaning lady, a housekeeper, a cook, a chauffeur for all the errands and a gardener...being a housewife is work. So is being a stay-at-home mother (provided you don't employ nannies) and it's not an easy job.

Yes it is work, but why is there always an implication that working mothers don't do these things?

Most of the women I know who have jobs also do most of the housework and childcare!

You can't be doing childcare if your at work now can you? Working mothers I know employ nannies or daycare for their children. Or do you just leave the littles ones in the house alone? So while they may be doing some housework and some childcare someone else is also raising their children.

There is no reason why Beatrice couldn't be doing some sort of volunteer work even if she is looking for a job. Lot's of charities are crying out for help and the fact that it has been 8 months and she has shown no interest in doing charity work on her own wouldn't encourage BP that she would be a great worker for the RF. We have so many stories of her out and about if she was job hunting we would be getting stories if not ones of glee from the DailyMail about her failing. I am with Kitty I think she already knows she will be getting married in the next year or two so she isn't bothering. Doing something for a charity would shine a good light on her but for some reason she would rather be seen out at parties. She has the money and her gran gave her an apartment she really has no need to work. But there can't be any complaints when the press start to turn about her being lazy or wasting her education which there will be in time if she isn't at least be seen doing something.

Of course we don't know that she isn't doing charity work or anything else for that matter - only that it hasn't been reported.

She may very well be deliberately not wanting the press to know - knowing that the press and public will criticise her anyway.

Of course we don't know that she isn't doing charity work or anything else for that matter - only that it hasn't been reported.

She may very well be deliberately not wanting the press to know - knowing that the press and public will criticise her anyway.

That doesn't make sense. If she was working then there'd always be calls of favoritism over how she got the job but with charities only the most cynical people would criticize her and that would only be because of residual dislike for Sarah.

I don't mean to exclude other countries. I just thought of Commonwealth countries first for some reason. Don't know why.

Why only in a Commonwealth country?

William worked in Chile in his gap year on a project - a non-Commonwealth country - why couldn't Beatrice do something like that - there are thousands of such projects around the world and most of them are in non-commonwealth countries.

That doesn't make sense. If she was working then there'd always be calls of favoritism over how she got the job but with charities only the most cynical people would criticize her and that would only be because of residual dislike for Sarah.

The press would paint her as self-serving - trying to look good etc.

They could easily make it out that she is only doing it for self-aggrandisement rather than from a genuine desire to do charity work - better if she is doing it to do it quietly rather than tell the world and have the press write things like 'Beatrice pretends to do charity work', 'Beatrice charity work a front to make her look good'.

Beatrice and her sister would be more successful in their private careers if they dropped their Princess titles, perhaps upon marriage.

Why would dropping their princess title make them more successful?

Beatrice is currently working for a finance company and Eugenie is doing internships and is hopeful of getting a job with Christies - the very place where having Princess in her name would be a help rather than a hindrance.

Beatrice and her sister would be more successful in their private careers if they dropped their Princess titles, perhaps upon marriage.

Actually it's entirely the other way round. They just have to find a company that can 'use' them.

These are two well-educated, articulate young women who just happen to have "HRH" in front of their names. If I remember correctly, other member of the extended royal family have jobs. Queen Beatrix's two younger sons have had "real" jobs.

I can't tolerate all this hate on the York princesses just because of their mother.

These are two well-educated, articulate young women who just happen to have "HRH" in front of their names. If I remember correctly, other member of the extended royal family have jobs. Queen Beatrix's two younger sons have had "real" jobs.

A lot of people don't like the fact they (like their father) seem to love living the high life but in reality have never worked a day in their lives! :ohmy:

A lot of people don't like the fact they (like their father) seem to love living the high life but in reality have never worked a day in their lives! :ohmy:

Those people all seem to be making up their own facts, and can get over themselves. The girls went to uni, graduated, and are now doing internships along with the occasional charity event, and as they're not supported by the taxpayers, the taxpayers need to recognize they don't have the right to direct how the girls live their lives.

Well, both Princesses are just starting their adult lives. Princes William and Harry weren't working as Royals when they were studying or serving in the military.

Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie seems to want help the "Firm", perfoming Roayl duties.

Princess Beatrice accompanied the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh to Maundy Service last year. And the Princesses made a wonderful work in Germany, early this years. Both can be great additions to the group of full-time working Royals.

It is quite shocking to realise a 24 year old has never had a job until now! :ohmy:

It is quite shocking to realise a 24 year old has never had a job until now! :ohmy:

Why? She was a student for most of that time.

I got my first job at age 15, but that was out of economic necessity, not because I wanted to work. I wish more people had the option to put off working until later on and spend their youth focusing on education and travel.

Why? She was a student for most of that time.

I would have though the majority of students would have a job of some kind by 24. I am only a few months older than Beatrice and have worked continuously since I was 16.

Of course, Beatrice had no need to work for financial reasons, but by working she would have put an end to a lot of the bad publicity she recieves.

I don't understand how she can expect to live in an apartment costing tens of thousands of pounds while she is not (or has only just started) earning.

I'm the same age as Beatrice and I'm on my 4th job and did a 4 year university degree so I don't think being a student is an excuse.
However I do remember hearing/reading that Beatrice has had work experience over the past few years in a few different places. As she is unlikely to NEED the money from a job this was probably a good way for her to get a wide range of experiences. So she will have experienced being in a work environment.
It was reported a while back that Beatrice was studying for finance exams as she had been offered a job. Did she get this job? Is she working now?

It was reported last year that she had passed the exams and had a job - since last October.

William by the way didn't have a job until about the same age due to a gap year, 4 years at uni and then a year of work experience - same as Beatrice. Harry took an 18 month gap year after school before joining the army while the other royal grandchildren have all taken gap years, gone to uni and then taken their time finding work.

I didn't start working at all until after I had finished uni as my family believed that as they could support me it was better if the part-time job I might have got went to some young person whose family needed the money and not to someone who didn't.

Had she had a part-time job the criticism would have been just that - taking a job away from someone who needed it - she is in a no-win situation really.

Back
Top Bottom