The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-06-2011, 07:57 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
I did not know that, wow. That is a bit unfortunate for Beatrice and very unfair. I know they want to "cut down" the Royal family size, but that is still a bit unlucky for Beatrice. I have no doubt that she will find a career in life somewhere down the line. She could always do charity work as Sarah does charity work, without a Royal title.

The problem with that is where is Bea to get the money from to support herself?

We have seen what happened with Sarah and surely don't want Bea to go that route but without a proper job she simply won't be able to afford to do charity work and also won't be able to do it full time.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

Surely Beatrice could do some work connected with the many historical sites in Britain? Places like Kensington Palace or the National Gallery need fund-raising activities; why couldn't she chair something like that?

Old 09-06-2011, 09:12 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel
Surely Beatrice could do some work connected with the many historical sites in Britain? Places like Kensington Palace or the National Gallery need fund-raising activities; why couldn't she chair something like that?
Because that's charity work, not work she can use to support herself. She'll be called a freeloader
Old 09-06-2011, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Not sure how it is in England, but jobs that have to do with charity work for major foundations aren't free jobs. They are highly paid and coveted (at least for the non profit world). Its all about who you are, what you know and who you know. Making contacts and relationships with major donors and/or corporations. Its socializing, knowing the right person to work on in regards your organization, keeping true to the organization's mission, etc. For some organizations its not an easy sell, especially in a economy such as this. You are trying to convince people, companies that the National Gallery (with all that is going on in the world) is the the organization that needs the money. Some foundations have yearly fundraising goals. Its not easy work.

In addition, any chair position would require a significant amount of experience and education that Beatrice doesn't have. Her degree is a start, but there are probably people who either currently hold the job and have the proper experience and/or education. She would be have better off working as an intern, and than getting a entry level job at such a place.

But again, most likely we would hear cries from the DM (and the regular posters) that she that by working at an entry level job she is taking the position from someone more worthy.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:58 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The problem with that is where is Bea to get the money from to support herself?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

We have seen what happened with Sarah and surely don't want Bea to go that route but without a proper job she simply won't be able to afford to do charity work and also won't be able to do it full time.

Beatrice does have access to a trust fund and reputedly the Queen has also topped this up. Ditto Eugenie. [This is the trust fund that, on her own admission, Sarah 'dips into' as well. (Groan) ] Apparently the Queen Mother made provision for them in her will as well, on the basis that she wanted to ensure that those grandchildren and great-grandchildren not entitled to funding from other sources [e.g Duchy of Cornwall] 'would not go short'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Because that's charity work, not work she can use to support herself. She'll be called a freeloader

There are two types of 'Charity Work' in the UK: paid and unpaid.

Unpaid is traditionally undertaken by those who are [slightly unkindly] referred to as 'Ladies who Lunch'. They sit on fundraising committees [particularly if they have titles or other superb connections: wife of a banker / industrialist / rich Russian etc] and are there principally as a 'draw' to raise money. A charity ball is a good example: there will be a Ball Committee, usually consisting of an 'honorary chairman' and others -often her friends - whose job it is to sell tickets to the ball, and raffle tickets etc and persuade sponsors to come up with prizes for the raffle, for the inevitable 'charity auction' that takes place at the ball and also [hopefully] donations and sponsorship so that all the ticket money can go straight to the 'good cause' without being used to defray the cost of room hire [usually at a Grand Hotel], food, drink, programme etc .

Paid positions are quite different. Salaries in the not-for-profit sector are continuing to rise, but are not quite yet at the same level as equivalent positions in the private sector. Charities and not-for-profits are now run very much like businesses though: the old feeling of 'good-intentioned amateur' has been swept away by a vigorous and thoroughly professional approach. There are financial people, marketing people, well-paid senior executives and Directors. Some of the 'old guard' don't like the new changes and feel that the Charity sector is moving away from the previous ethos of helping people to a more slick approach where everything feels like a business. For example, each year there are tales in the better papers about 'cruel charities' acting in what people feel is a heavy-handed way: for example, elderly folk talk about aggressive charity executives trying to get them to 'sign away the ownership in their homes' with the charity building them a small flatlet and then taking over the rest of the property etc. Other people report about making a small donation to charity only to receive aggressive marketing telephone calls from charity executives or people employed by them 'urging them to increase their gifts'. Often the elderly folk report along the lines of 'she wouldn't stop pestering me until I agreed to increase my gift to £100 a month from the £25 I had originally offered. There are all-too frequent stories of sons and daughters suddenly finding that their elderly parents have made huge donations [often most of their estates] to charities that they have never before had any connection with: the reason being that they have been 'targeted' by charities [often major ones!! who should know better] and persuaded to change their wills in favour of the charity. Sadly these charities prey on elderly people and their loneliness: their sons and daughters might live too far away to visit often and work makes their time very limited: and then the charity sends its executives ['nice people'!] once a week to 'visit them' and then they suggest that wills are changed. Winding up Estates can take time as well, and there are a good many tales about how charities in line to receive legacies have bullied and pushed sons and daughters into paying extra interest etc with the result that sometimes families have had to sell assets quicker than they wished to, etc etc.

The point of the foregoing is to set out how careful the BRF will have to proceed if Beatrice is to get work in the charity sector. I think that it would be best if she did a little work in the archives at Windsor Caslte. or something similar. A whiff of controversy - not even her fault of course - and things could start looking problematic.

The real difficulty for both girls, I feel, is what sort of lifestyle they intend to enjoy. Without any evidence, I just feel that the offspring of Edward and Sophie are going to have a much less 'flash' existence. The worry with Beatrice and Eugenie - and again, I say this with only the evidence of my eyes - is that they might feel they prefer the 'flash trash' lifestyle of their mother, and that can come expensive....

Only my thoughts, and I do not mean to offend,

Alex
Old 09-06-2011, 10:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

I didn't realize that Eugenie was studying politics. I thought she was studying English and History of Art. If she's interested in Politics - I don't know hoe a career in that field would work for her because of her family background. But you never know, I guess she could be prime minister one day.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Just a thought Beatrice's future career: perhaps she could get a Master's degree, and then she'd be more qualified to get a better-paying job and wouldn't have to start at an entry level.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

The sad thing is that they might have to drift into obscurity before they could land jobs. Clients would find it very distracting, i.e., Mr. Jones's assistant is Princess Beatrice, or even Beatrice York.

I don't think PB will ever have to support herself, as she will marry Dave. I can't speculate on PE, as I don't know very much about her. I would take a guess that she will also marry well and never work for money.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:58 PM
Heir Apparent

I doubt either one of them will ever be on the dole, working or not working, married or not married. Getting a job usually has a great deal to do with ones connections and there can be no doubt that these two young ladies are very well connected. No matter what they studied in university very few people actually start to work in the field they studied in unless they took accounting or something along that line. A degree merely proves you have they ability to learn. No matter what they chose to do some people will be critical of their choices or say that some other person should have got that job. They just have to ignore the critics, hold their heads high, and get on with whatever job (royal or otherwise) they decide to take on.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:44 PM
Serene Highness

What I can't understand is that why aren't they working as royals? I mean they have the HRH and all, what's the use of it if you don't work as a HRH?
Old 09-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte_Aster View Post
What I can't understand is that why aren't they working as royals? I mean they have the HRH and all, what's the use of it if you don't work as a HRH?
To piggyback on this, as we know, the next generation of Gloucesters & Kents are non-royals. Anne, Andrew & Edward can only do so much (well, Andrew & Edward anyway). William & Harry are wrapped up in the military for the near future. I simply don't see the problem with letting Beatrice & Eugenie carry out royal roles. They are the future Princess Alexandras, if you will. Just Charles, William and Harry make a mighty pared down monarchy, a little too much if you ask me.

It would also serve to let the girls come out of their mother's shadow and showcase them as the lovely, well-mannered, socially responsible young women that I understand them to be.

Is it just our speculation that BP has put a stop to a royal career for Beatrice & Eugenie or has something specific been stated?
Old 09-07-2011, 08:10 PM
Gentry

I don't foresee Princesses Eugenie and Beatrice having much of a Royal role because of Charles' desire to pare down the family. So long as their mother, who I've always happened to like, is in the picture, they can't be trusted in Prince Charles' eyes. I'm certain Princess Beatrice's hat at the Royal Wedding just cemented it for him.

Both of the York girls should pursue careers akin to their relation Lady Helen Windsor who worked as a brand ambassador for Armani for 17 years, as well as for the jewelry house Bulgari. Certainly it's commercial work, but it's also high end and not among "the people" like Fergie's work has been with Weight Watchers and Wedgewood.

Alternatively, they could both go into teaching, archival work within the Royal Archives, paid charity positions, as travel or fashion writers, novelists or non-fiction book writers, art galleries, auction houses like Christie's or Sotheby's and publishing houses.

Failing that, both will just get married, show up at galas and be derided in the press.

The Yorks as a whole, Andrew, Sarah, Beatrice and Eugenie, cannot ever win. They are doomed to be the "wicked" side of the family, just as Princess Margaret was for The Queen.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:29 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte_Aster View Post

They aren't/won't be working as royals because they have apparently been told by those more senior than them that they aren't wanted or needed in that role.

Beatrice has only just finished university (she has her formal graduation on Friday this week) and the reports that have been around since March this year is that she and Eugenie have been told by the suits around the monarchy that they won't be doing royal duties but will have to get their own jobs and support themselves. They aren't going on the monarch's payroll.

The reasons for this are linked to Andrew's fall from grace with reports also stating that William was furious with Andrew for the peadophile story coming out in the lead up to his wedding, along with the decade old reports that Charles wants to make the royal family smaller.

Beatrice and Eugenie are the first, and will probably be the only, royals to be so affected as William's children will go the royal duties route but Beatrice and Eugenie are setting the precedent that HRHs from younger children will have to work for their own living. Edward's children don't have the HRH which is another sign of the reducing size of the royal family and I wouldn't be surprised if Harry takes that same route for his children - giving them that same freedom.

When Beatrice and Eugenie were born the expectations were different but after the disasters of the 90s the public called for a smaller royal family so William and Harry will have to pick up the slack as the Queen's generation continue to age (of course Kate should also start doing things on her own soon as well).
Old 09-07-2011, 08:44 PM
Heir Apparent

In other words, known for the clothes and jewelry they wear at the "right" events. To my mind, that's not much different than being an empty-headed socialite in nice clothes. I'd much rather see them do something substantial if they're going to be in public. My preference is for them to do something behind-the-scenes that makes a contribution to society and save the public appearances to special family occasions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Royal View Post
Both of the York girls should pursue careers akin to their relation Lady Helen Windsor who worked as a brand ambassador for Armani for 17 years, as well as for the jewelry house Bulgari.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:28 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
In other words, known for the clothes and jewelry they wear at the "right" events. To my mind, that's not much different than being an empty-headed socialite in nice clothes. .
But unfortunately for Beatrice and Eugenie, they already kind of have that image. Except after the wedding in April, not many people think they even wear nice clothes!

As for career options for Beatrice, I really have no idea. For the next few years it will be interesting to see how the Royal Family changes as some members begin to cut back and others really begin their royal life. But I just don’t know where Beatrice or Eugenie fit into that equation. I feel sorry for Beatrice right now as she sees the people around her begin their intended careers whereas she could be completely unsure of her future. Or maybe she already has it all figured out! We’ll know soon enough I guess.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:49 AM
Courtier

I would hope that she does know by now. She has been at university for a couple of years and there has never been a guarantee they would be put on the royal payroll. Charles has let his plan be known for years. Although both Sarah and Andrew wanted them to do royal duties, although I must admit I have never trusted Sarah's interest in this. Charles wants a smaller official family and he will be the next in charge so the Queen would listen to what he wants. If she was to put them on for Royal Duties he would be stuck with them. They can get jobs HRH in front of your name doesn't stop you from working it can open doors and providing you do a good job and don't behave like you should be the one in charge it will in time work out fine. Prince Edward had a job as a gopher for awhile he made tea and didn't expect any special treatment. The girls will need to do the same but if they expect to be able to take as many holidays as they now do then yes they will get ripped apart in the press for taking too much time off. As long as they work hard and no one goes and sells stories about them in time they will be ignored unless they do something. If being an HRH is so bad they could always give it up they no longer have full time police protection and it has been made clear they will not be working for the family. Even without it they are still Princesses. Prince Edward doesn't seem to mind his two kids not having it so it is actually rather strange that Beatrice and Eugenie still do, they were born in a time when nothing was thought of it. Now things have changed.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:56 AM
Royal Highness

Prince Edward chose not to have his children styled as HRHs, though they legally are.

I think it was probably to prevent them from facing the dilemma that Beatrice and Eugenie face now.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:10 AM
Royal Highness

I am still curious to know the real reason behind Princess Beatrice's decision to work as a shopping assistant at Selfridges dring her gap year. Why? What could she possibly get from doing this sort of servant's job?

Some reasons come to mind: she wanted to figure out if there woud be a difference for her inner feeling of self when she was for once not the "princess" but the "servant".

She was looking for an entree into the world of fashion. But then she could have chosen a better place, no?

She is into sociological studies and wanted to find out how super rich women react to "normal people" on not being aware who she is. But this backfired?

Or (and now comes a not so nice reason):

She already planned back then a career as a "Princess for Rent" working for her mother's new company "Access to a Princess Ltd." where people could book her appearances and wanted to find out how it would feel to be not a guest from the highest social level but a somewhat employed person.

Unlike her mother, Beatrice will always be a Princess of the Blood Royal and thus can get away with close to anything. I hope she will be wise in what she does with this historic legacy.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

I feel rather sorry for Beatrice and Eugenie, in a way. Because I think it's their parents' fault that they aren't wanted for royal duties. Princess Alexandra, the Kents, the Gloucesters are all approaching retirement; it seems natural for the York girls to take up the slack (but the actions of their parents have put paid to that)!
Old 09-08-2011, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Lets stick on the topic of career options for Beatrice....royal duties (or lack of them) can be discussed here Duties and Roles of Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie

And let's not start with the Sarah bashing.