Andrew & Sarah: Marriage, Divorce and Divorce Settlement

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: Well to be honest, I'd hold off on the tar brush completely. Andrew and Sarah managed their separation and divorce with such decency and grace all the while ensuring that their daughter's lives were adversely impacted in as little way as possible.

Not for them the yo-yo kids with all their neuroses, just two little girls who knew for sure and certain that their parents adored them and would do everything possible to ensure their happiness. They were never caught in the middle, required to pick sides or used as weapons by their parents. Now they are two lovely young women with impeccable manners, interesting fashion sense, and who are totally uninhibited about their love for their parents and don't care who knows it.

The girls are living breathing proof of their parents basic natures. They are trophies of a warm, loving and totally supportive upbringing and whatever we think of their life choices, Andrew and Sarah did the most important thing absolutely right. And in the "Great Royal Goldfish Bowl" to boot!

:previous: Lovely post, Marg. :flowers: I wish I'd said it. I totally agree with every word.

:previous: Well to be honest, I'd hold off on the tar brush completely. Andrew and Sarah managed their separation and divorce with such decency and grace all the while ensuring that their daughter's lives were adversely impacted in as little way as possible....

Good observation, but perhaps I wasn't clear in my post. I was agreeing with Suztav's post that was complimentary of their parenting skills despite people's personal opinions of them. My point is that I just don't think it fair that their children be tarred by unfavorable opinions, whatever they are, of Andrew and Sarah. I find it irksome when the princesses undeservedly get backlash from bad press about their parents. The girls are certainly an admirable example of a couple very deeply committed to bringing up their children in a fine manner in a very public venue despite their personal problems. With that, Andrew and Sarah have done extremely well, and Beatrice and Eugenie should therefore be judged on their own very considerable and positive merits alone.

Last edited:
I think that if this arrangement works for them, who am I to criticize. Does she only live with him at Royal Lodge?

:previous: Well to be honest, I'd hold off on the tar brush completely. Andrew and Sarah managed their separation and divorce with such decency and grace all the while ensuring that their daughter's lives were adversely impacted in as little way as possible.

Not for them the yo-yo kids with all their neuroses, just two little girls who knew for sure and certain that their parents adored them and would do everything possible to ensure their happiness. They were never caught in the middle, required to pick sides or used as weapons by their parents. Now they are two lovely young women with impeccable manners, interesting fashion sense, and who are totally uninhibited about their love for their parents and don't care who knows it.

The girls are living breathing proof of their parents basic natures. They are trophies of a warm, loving and totally supportive upbringing and whatever we think of their life choices, Andrew and Sarah did the most important thing absolutely right. And in the "Great Royal Goldfish Bowl" to boot!

Nicely said and I agree. Their parents shared the best of their respective natures without passing along some of the rest, it seems.

Well said!

I am in complete agreement with MARG as well.
Regardless of choices Andrew and Sarah made in their lives, they proved to be loving and caring parents who put the needs of their children above everything else.

I'd like to join in here with the general chorus of approval of Marg's comment. Well said! Sarah and Andrew provided a loving, nurturing environment for their girls and always put them first, whatever might have been going on between them. And the fundamental decency and well-adjusted nature of the Princesses is the best argument you could ever make for the values and character of their parents!

I agree, it touches me that despite all the crazy stuff Andrew & Sarah have been through, they have somehow managed to keep their family together and still live under the same roof. They have raised two beautiful young women and who are very down to earth.

I'm sure The Queen & Prince Philip and the entire royal family admire the Yorks dedication to keeping their family together and full of love.

Well said, MARG. I totally agree!:flowers:

I kind of feel sorry for Andrew, his sister and brother have remarried and are happy, I think Anne is; but Andrew hasn't found someone.

I kind of feel sorry for Andrew, his sister and brother have remarried and are happy, I think Anne is; but Andrew hasn't found someone.

I wish he would, I have always liked him.
(i am single...)

Both Andrew & Sarah have dated other people over the years but something tells me what they really want is each other. I just have that feeling.

if Sarah wanted Andrew she shouldn't have cheated on him.

I think that was a long time ago. I suspect they will continue to live together, and at some stage, possibly after the girls are settled, become a couple again. They probably will not marry, but I can slowly see Sarah being gradually brought back into Andrew's world.

I can't I think the time has passed. Andrew seems very happy dating others which he does. Don't know if Sarah dates she keeps it very quiet but she has had relationships over the years too. I don't ever see Sarah being part in anyway of the Royal Family again. They don't "live" together Andrew has been nice enough to give her a suite they would barely even see each other. Andrew does a lot of engagements and is rarely home and Sarah travels as well. I actually believe he needs to get her out of his house if he really wants a proper relationship with a woman. Sarah is a grown woman who should really fend for herself and pay her own rent like most other grownups do. All Andrew is doing is enabling her and she will never leave while she has it so good. I don't think it's a healthy relationship at all it isn't his job to look after Sarah.

Well, I think if Andrew & Sarah really wanted to move on, they would have done so by now. I think a year or two ago Andrew was on a yacth with a beautiful young lady but she said in an interview all Andrew talked about was Sarah.

I can't I think the time has passed. Andrew seems very happy dating others which he does. Don't know if Sarah dates she keeps it very quiet but she has had relationships over the years too. I don't ever see Sarah being part in anyway of the Royal Family again. They don't "live" together Andrew has been nice enough to give her a suite they would barely even see each other. Andrew does a lot of engagements and is rarely home and Sarah travels as well. I actually believe he needs to get her out of his house if he really wants a proper relationship with a woman. Sarah is a grown woman who should really fend for herself and pay her own rent like most other grownups do. All Andrew is doing is enabling her and she will never leave while she has it so good. I don't think it's a healthy relationship at all it isn't his job to look after Sarah.

I tend to agree with you. When a man refers to his ex wife as his 3rd child it seems as if it is more about taking care of someone who cant really take care of herself and trying to make sure she stays out of trouble. In the Jubilee interview he did for CTV he talked about how she has rooms in his house that she uses when in town which seems a bit different than "living together". I will give them credit for having a good divorce which has been good for their children though. Having his ex wife around would I imagine put off any other woman he might have gotten serious about. I cannot imagine Sarah would be very happy at the idea of there being a new HRH The Duchess of York since being Sarah, Duchess of York is basically her meal ticket.

The most telling thing for me about their relationship is that on the door of his suite in BP it still says 'TRH The Duke and Duchess of York' and Sarah does stay there at times as well. I can't remember where I read that but it is something I read recently - about the time of Andrew's 50th or one of the girls 21st birthdays.

I think they a pretty healthy relationship and friendship. I think it was around Prince Andrew's 50th birthday that Beatrice said in an interview that they have a great family life at home. She and her sister seems very happy to have their parents living together at Windsor Lodge.

Of course some may think Sarah is the one that is preventing Andrew from moving on but I think he like the way he has set up his family life. I think he do get lonely on his official engagements though. He did have Sarah with him when he opened the 911 British Memorial Garden in New York.

I miss the good old days when you could lock an unwanted wife up in the tower or in a convent and just be done with it.:eek: I personally believe all ex spouses & ex girlfriends, royal and otherwise, should disappear and never darken the door again.

Last edited:
I don't know that I believe Sarah and Andrew are still in love or would ever even want to try rekindling their relationship, but I do think they truly like each other and each enjoys the other's continuing presence and support.

Sarah and Andrew are family in the sense that they share children. You can dissolve a marriage but you can't make your children's other parent disappear; that bond is permanent, for better or for worse. For all their respective foibles, I do really admire the way Andrew and Sarah have chosen "for better" in this area of their lives.

I miss the good old days when you could lock an unwanted wife up in the tower or in a convent and just be done with it.:eek: I personally believe all ex spouses & ex girlefriends, royal and otherwise, should disappear and never darken the door again.

Lol, I guess that happened in the days when folk hated each other with a great deal of passion and did everything to try to banish them from the face of the earth.

I guess it's a good thing for the sake of the girls that their parents don't hate each other but are their for each other and support one another.

The living arrangements that Sarah and Andrew have seem to suit both of them well. They don't seem to have any complaints about it but others seem to complain about it or criticize them.

Oh, I did not mean "Living" living together. She has a pretty good set up. Great living arrangements, and she doesn't even have to sleep with him.

I think they still love one another and if not for the Ho Ha of the BRF they may have returned to living together, and, perhaps, they have.

NGalitzine said:
I miss the good old days when you could lock an unwanted wife up in the tower or in a convent and just be done with it.:eek: I personally believe all ex spouses & ex girlefriends, royal and otherwise, should disappear and never darken the door again.

Well it's kind of hard to do that when you have children together. Rather than disappearing it is better to remain civil if not friendly.

I think the arrangement at Royal Lodge (at earlier at Sunninghill) was perfect for family life while the girls were growing up. It was kind of "the best of both worlds" - when Beatrice and Eugenie were at home, they could all be together as a family; when they were at boarding school or uni, Sarah and Andrew didn't have to see much of each other if they didn't want to (it's a big house after all).

I think they have a special relationship, but maybe more of a very close friendship than something romantic these days. I don't think they could ever remarry because of the negative attitudes towards Sarah in the RF, and she surely wouldn't want that pressure again.

Perhaps in the long run, it would be best for them to live separately, so they could both "move on" romantically, especially now that the girls have both finished university and are fully fledged adults. I think perhaps Sarah would want her own place eventually, once she can afford it. Obviously right now, she's still getting back on her feet after her recent debt problems, and Andrew was so kind to support her with a place to live at this time.

As NGalitzine says, one problem for Sarah in the couple moving on is definitely the prospect of losing her title. I wouldn't describe it as a "meal ticket" as *I think Sarah's commercial success (books, TV, speaking engagements, etc.) are down to her own talent and hard work, but I do think that being Duchess of York is part of her "brand", and her prestige and earning potential would be lower without it. In a way, she's trapped - obliged to earn how own living, but (at least partially) dependant on her royal past in order to do so. Nevertheless, I'd love to see her find happiness with another man, and if he was wealthy enough to support her, so much the better.

i know a lot of relationships that work better divorced than married. i praise them for sticking together and making a union to raise the girls together. the girls will be much better for it. besides, they are probaly more married than we know. i have always thought their love was true. i wonder how much of the divorce was created by public opinion.

I too think their love was very true and remain so but sadly I don't think they would ever remarry. I think the royal family would allow Andrew to be happy no matter what but I honestly think public and media opinion would harshly reject a remarriage between Andrew & Sarah. I'm not sure if the royal family, palace aides and York's are up to dealing with that PR nightmare.

I just think they are happy with their deep friendship and family life that they have. I think when they feel like really moving on, it will happen.

Back
Top Bottom