The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke of York, Sarah Duchess of York, and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-22-2011, 03:32 PM
Courtier

The thing is, Sarah simply wasn't smart and really hasn't been too smart before her marriage to Andrew. She never lived within her means, she never made friends that she had things in common with, and she never did see how much she had, except in comparison to Diana who quite frankly had a much more difficult time since she (Diana) was so young when she married. Sarah could have at her young age learned serious skills, ended up living a solidly respectable life with a solid career and then she could have ended up with plenty in her bank account by the time she married Andrew. Then she could have ended up making money on the side while married and then lived a perfectly comfortable life. But she simply isn't smart when it comes to making choices, and with life in general. She has never been practical and has lived life as if there will always be a backup or someone willing to pick up the tab.

When she was working on her divorce, she could have held out for more than she was given and then used that money to renew her skill set and then work on a solid job, while doing her other ventures as a sideline. Then she would be sitting in a nice home of her own, living on a fat bank account with income generated from responsible investments and then at some point, finding a nice guy to live her life with and I think if hse had done these things, she could have snagged even a titled man from a dethroned royal family and enjoyed life to the full. She has never at any point acted in a practical manner. Jackie O. ended up doing just as I've just written and now look at how well she lived life. Sarah had more than enough to build on and I don't think that she is going to do that at this point in her age. Her personality is set and she has too many enablers.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:17 AM
Courtier

Some very good and interesting points AristoCat.

The only point that I am having difficulty with is whether Sarah could have 'held out for more' in her divorce settlement. In English divorce settlements, the means of the parties have to be taken into account, but there is no requirement for one's mother-in-law to fund a settlement; which the queen generously did for Sarah [see the earllier post in this thread.] Legally therefore, I don't think that Sarah had a chance of getting a penny more than she did.

The situation (i.e. the generous award made to Sarah) is often obfuscuated by Sarah herself, for at times she has denied receiving any money at all [For example, the Fake Sheikh tape in which Sarah says she needs the money because she got nothing in her divorce settlement, although after a little prompting she in fact revises this figure upwards to £15,000, which in itself is still a few millions short of the true figure.]

The Queen gave Sarah a large capital lump sum which was hers to do with as she pleased; it would have been a canny use of a tiny part of the money she had been given to have used a couple of thousand pounds to upgrade her secretarial skills. Remember that after leaving school, she did a year's secretarial course at the exclusive Queen's Secretarial College in London, a place teeming with aristocratic young gels - the Queen Mother's niece Margaret Rhodes had received her secretarial training there a generation previously. Sarah studied shorthand, typing and general office skills; she came 'joint bottom' of the class in her studies, but still obtained her certificates.] Had Sarah retrained, she could have found reasonably well-paid work in a host of what, for a better word, I would say are 'upper crust' institutions: she could have worked in well-paid roles for the smarter property companies, for a stockbroker in the City, in one of the better paid Auctioneers etc. She could also have worked for a Charity, a socially impeccable job for someone in her position - the pay would not have been that good in a not-for-profit organisation, but it would have been perfectly adequate and indeed more than sufficient to supplement her divorce settlement. Indeed, she could have afforded to have worked part-time, leaving her an opportunity to concentrate on her other interests. And had she been a diligent employee, there would have been opportunities to progress - over the years I am sure many of us here have have seen people use their secretarial skills as a springboard to a better paid career; I myself have seeen many secretaries work their way up to 'Executive Assistants' and then become professionally qualified in their own fields: e.g. the bright secretary in Marketing who studies in her job to become a member of the Institute of Marketing, the bright secretarial assistant to a stockbroker who takes her Stock Exchange exams. The possibilities of advancement were all there for Sarah and she had the means in her divorce settlement to have taken the first steps in the direction of a fulfilling career.

But, as AristoCat says, Sarah chose not to go down this route and had too many enablers.

Just my thoughts, which are my own opinions and not meant to offend [and I am just about to go off racing now, hopefully for a bit of Royal Spotting if I am very lucky!]

Alex

Old 07-23-2011, 08:07 AM
Courtier

I think that would have been a great idea but I believe Sarah's own belief in what a Duchess does and doesn't do wouldn't have even considered doing an actual job as such. Sarah seemed to feel very entitled back then as she does now and that sort of work would have been beneath her. Sarah has fibbed to everyone about the divorce settlement I think she believes if she says something enough then it must be true! It doesn't suit her to be honest and say I blew the divorce settlement much better to say she got nothing and get the sympathy she seems to really wallow in! Always having trouble with finances as has been shown even in her pre Andrew days makes think it isn't going to change and I would be surprised if she wasn't already getting trouble again.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:02 AM
Courtier

As an underscore to this....I don't think the Queen can be held responsible for Sarah frittering away her chances in life. Although somehow, I think that Sarah believes that Andrew and by extension HM continues to owe her a good life in perpetuity.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Does anyone remember the leaked phone call between Andrew and Sarah?

This is a quote from The Morton Report about the taped phone conversations in the 1990s. "Several months later a mobile call between Prince Andrew and his disaffected wife, Sarah Ferguson, then Duchess of York became public."

Does anyone remember this? It came after Squigygate and Camillagate.

Murdoch's World Ends -- Princess Di's Revenge from Beyond the Grave - The Morton Minute
Old 07-23-2011, 05:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPretender View Post
As an underscore to this....I don't think the Queen can be held responsible for Sarah frittering away her chances in life. Although somehow, I think that Sarah believes that Andrew and by extension HM continues to owe her a good life in perpetuity.
I think you are correct in this NaP. Which makes me awfully interested in what King Charles would do in this situation when HRH steps into it.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist View Post
The possibilities of advancement were all there for Sarah and she had the means in her divorce settlement to have taken the first steps in the direction of a fulfilling career.
IMO, Sarah would have found that too boring and time consuming. And waaaay too logical.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:57 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
I think you are correct in this NaP. Which makes me awfully interested in what King Charles would do in this situation when HRH steps into it.
Lately, I've been wondering if Charles is being given a louder voice in decisions regarding the family. The decision that the two princesses would not be working members of the family and would be seeking employment outside the firm...made me wonder. That sounds more like Charles than HM. Sarah could be walking on thin ice at the moment. What do you think?
Old 07-23-2011, 07:05 PM
Courtier

I would not be surprised at all if that is true, after all the POW has made it pretty clear that he is interested in downsizing. Given that the older royals are nearing their end of service it would also seem an appropriate way to really slim things down if the York girls were more on their own. If they are not then the family can look forward to their marriages and then families with more "dependents". I guess it has to start somewhere and doing so at this point when they are just entering the adult world would seem like a good time.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:34 PM
Courtier

As for her divorce settlement, the only monies taken legally into consideration are the assets that Andrew has personally owned, that being his army salary and any money from investments. It's how the RF works, the members live off of what HM has to give or what they make from employment. They don't all live off of a central family trust fund and when they do draw on it, they pretty much do it only rarely. It's why Charles had more to give to Diana and why Andrew had so little.

If/when HM dies, when Charles takes over there will be a firmer way of dealing with Fergie when she messes up. If the princesses become normal workers, then it's more likely than not that the princesses will be a lot less tolerant of their mother living off of their trust funds or income they make. Once Charles is Sovereign, then he will never allow Andrew and Fergie to remarry and there is next to no chance that Charles would ever consent. I think Fergie is going to be left behind to fend for herself all the more once HM dies.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:29 PM
Courtier

I don't remember any phone call between Sarah and Andrew. The others I do. Maybe Sarah's and Andrews wasn't that interesting?
Old 07-23-2011, 11:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
I don't remember any phone call between Sarah and Andrew. The others I do. Maybe Sarah's and Andrews wasn't that interesting?

I'm with you - I have no memory of any phone conversation between Andrew and Sarah but I do the others.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:30 AM
Super Moderator

From the Evening Standard of 27 August 1992:

Quote:
DUCHESS TAPES KEEP ROYAL FAMILY FURORE GOING

Just as the Royal Family was hoping that the Diana bugging furore had died down, a second tape alleged to be a recording of a conversation between the Duke and Duchess of York has surfaced.

The tape, also allegedly picked up on a scanner, comes two days after publication of details of the conversation between the Princess of Wales and friend James Gilbey.

The Sun newspaper says that the Queen's solicitor, Sir Matthew Farrer, was handed the tape within 24 hours of the newspaper receiving it on Tuesday.

The newspaper is careful not to quote directly from the tape, but says the conversation shows unhappiness in the marriage of the duke and duchess at the time it was recorded in January 1990.

The duchess is reported as saying she wished to escape to Argentina to be with her mother because she was disillusioned and depressed with her role as a royal and felt it was damaging their lives.

Buckingham Palace declined to comment on the tape's authenticity or the identity of the people on it.
It doesn't appear to have been very sensational at the time. There are only a couple of articles that I can find even mentioning it.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:59 AM
Courtier

It wasn't a huge shock I think most new she was unhappy she had already had one affair. If it had off been her talking to a lover then it would have been big. That explains why it wasn't as big news as Diana's or Charles's tapes.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:35 AM
Heir Apparent

This makes sense as to why it didn't make waves. A theme running through Sarah's life is depression and unhappiness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
It wasn't a huge shock I think most new she was unhappy she had already had one affair. If it had off been her talking to a lover then it would have been big.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:23 PM
Aristocracy

i am with you, i dont remember this at all.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

I have never heard of this phone call, but I have heard of Camilla and Charles, which made me feel very awkward when I read it!

Isn't Andrew Morton the guy who made Edward and Sophie's relationship public in 1993?
Old 07-27-2011, 12:31 AM
Heir Apparent

I believe so, yes. He walked up to Sophie's desk at work and made a remark about her relationship with Edward.

[QUOTE=Molly2101;1292697I Isn't Andrew Morton the guy who made Edward and Sophie's relationship public in 1993?[/QUOTE]
Old 07-27-2011, 01:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes I Remeber The call but i forget another detail
Old 07-27-2011, 02:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

Given that we (mostly) all agree that we feel uncomfortable when looking at super long lens paparazzi shots of Royals when they're in private, why do we then feel that we're entitled to listen into and pour over illegally obtained telephone conversations?