The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke of York, Sarah Duchess of York, and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-10-2011, 03:29 PM
Courtier

Fascinating reading, Diarist. Especially the travel restrictions placed on individuals who have been declared bankrupt.

I hadn't given much thought to the jewelry aspect, but that's an interesting point: Sarah does have a nice selection of items. It would be quite a blow to have a tiara given to you by HM the Queen end up under the auctioneer's gavel to settle debts incurred due to lifestyle choices.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:48 PM
Courtier

I thought I'd bump this up again, as we have a couple of new arrivals to our world. We owe Diarist a debt for the clear and straightforward analysis of the settlement. Cheers!

Old 06-22-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FergieFan View Post
I'm afraid this all goes back to the unjust divorce settlement that Sarah received...... Now when Sarah got divorced, her good nature triumphed over her own interests, and she accepted a pittance so as not to make a fuss with a legal case, out of respect for the Royal Family.
Uh, that was rather stupid of her wouldn't you say? Given her over-spending habits and her lack of skills that would enable her to get a real job, how exactly did she expect to survive? She would have been far better off getting a good lawyer whereby she could have gotten perhaps $6 - $7 million dollars as a settlement. With proper advise from a respected financial advisor (who doesn't suck on your toes), this money could have been invested wisely and she could have lived on the interest alone.

Actually it would have made no difference if Sarah had received $20 million as a settlement, because she---like her parents---is addicted to living "the good life" and she would have spent all the money anyway. She reminds me of one of these people who win millions in the lottery, blow it all and end up bankrupt. It all boils down to sheer stupidity.

I have zero respect for Sarah at this point.

Quote:
One could certainly argue that, compared with prevalent situations amongst her peers, Sarah IS entitled to a certain level of lifestyle.

At this point, no she's not. She's been an embarassment to the Royal Family from day one and has done nothing as a public figure that would justify her living the high life.

Quote:
This whole thing has been really tough on Sarah as well

Aaawwww. Boo-freaking-hoo. She has no one to blame but herself. She has no moral compass, she has no self-discipline, she has absolutely no business sense, she still looks like she got shot through a cannon most of the time and her life has been one big train wreck.

She'll get no sympathy from me.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:59 AM
Courtier

The thing is, that Sarah gets fifteen thousand a year in alimony, no rent to pay, and she has had up to over a decade to learn substantial skills to successfully survive. She has had more than enough time to learn and use them and then end up earning a solid, stable living, even at a high level. Considering the stuff she pulled, she's lucky she's still living with Andrew and not on the street.

Another issue, is that Diana got a higher settlement because Diana married Charles before she could even have a career, she was just nineteen at the time of her marriage and she had a few kids in a short time. Sarah had a variety of jobs, had traveled the world, and was twenty-six at the time of her marriage, not a sheltered nineteen year old. Diana also was the mother of the future King and the monarchy isn't about being fair or equal. Life isn't fair or equal.

As for losing all her things like couture and jewels, that would be the biggest wake up call and she would end up rightly in shock and forced to start over. On the clothes alone she could make enough to pay off a substantial block of her debts and she has no business running around the world on that level of debt. IF she were reduced to the basics, she would face a stark reality about her financial situation that she needs to face. Maybe the basics is just what she needs.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AristoCat View Post
As for losing all her things like couture and jewels, that would be the biggest wake up call and she would end up rightly in shock and forced to start over. On the clothes alone she could make enough to pay off a substantial block of her debts and
Yes, perhaps Sarah could raise some money this way although usually such sales have a link to charity. Also Sarah has never been known as a style icon, at least not good style, so that might limit the market as well.

Really should be shopping at M & S, and living in a one bedroom apartment in Clapham.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:38 PM
Courtier

I would think Sarah would own the ranch in Argentina outright if she has given that much money. It seems very silly to me to leave a place empty worth so much but then say you are homeless. Her not buying a house was her own fault the Queen gave her the money and why she gave it to her mother is beyond me. It shows someone who doesn't know how to think ahead and for someone who says she cares so much for her daughters providing a stable home doesn't seem to ever have been a priority for her. She made millions over the years and still didn't buy a house which she could have paid off and owned outright. But Sarah preferred to buy clothes and go on expensive holidays. Her charities folded owing a lot of money from what I remember and one paid the staff more monies then what was given to the needy at some stage. Sarah got a great deal with her divorce much more then she is making out she got. I always cringed when she talked about being a single mother and working for her children...rubbish most single mothers don't have nannies, chefs, maids and go on the kind of vacations she does or do the sort of shopping she does. Andrew paid for their schooling and they never had to go without anything. Sarah's overspending has been on herself mostly I read an article and it talked about a ridicules amount she spent on clothes in part because she was too lazy to send them back if she didn't want them so she was charged for them. I don't think she gets freebies like she used too but she still expects the same sort clothes etc. I think it is disgraceful that she knew she couldn't pay her staff but kept them on. They could off gone and gotten other jobs it seems to have gone on for awhile not just a week or two. I don't think she learns anything because Andrew bails her out, she needs to go bankrupt lose everything and then maybe she will learn. If she has property if she is really desperate she can sell it but for some reason selling Andrew was a better option for her. The girls rarely would go to Argentina so why keep it for them? I do wonder if maybe she is renting it but won't fess up because that would be an income for her as well. Otherwise she would be paying a great deal for something sitting empty that would require a great deal of maintenence and would have bills to pay. Which just doesn't make sense! I see Sarah having money troubles again sooner rather then later. She didn't get that much at least in her world for the Oprah show and her book doesn't seem to be selling well. She is either going to need some more work soon or we will be reading more stories of her badly in debt again very soon!
Old 07-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Courtier

I too cringed when Sarah began doing her 'I am a single mother with two small daughters to support' routine. I don't mean to offend Sarah's fans, but I do think that her continued lack of dignified behaviour has impacted negatively on the monarchy as a whole; it is of course wrong for Sarah to shoulder the full blame for the disenchantments, but her profligacy and her complaints all served to raise the monarchy above the parapet when it came to attracting criticism......
Old 07-19-2011, 12:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Hhhhmmmm .... Sarah's behaviour can't impact on the British Royal Court.
If some of the younger members choose to act foolishly, this will still not impinge on the "top layer" of Royals.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:51 PM
Courtier

I think Sarah got an extremely generous divorce settlement, at the end of the day she got an amount of money that at the time was enough to buy a large house with land for herself (500,000), 350,000 to spend however she liked which she could have invested to generate more income and then a small continuining allowance. When she got divorced Sarah had to do nothing more than raise her two girls, she could have lived a quiet,easy life on what she has given in 1996 (which would have been worth much more than it is today). That Sarah wanted to carry on being to all intense and purpose a 'royal' - appearing in public etc - is her own falt and her own choice is it NOT her god given right and noone else should have to pay for it.
To me turning around as Sarah did and saying that she didn't get given enough 10+ years ago is morally reprehensible. She didn't complain in the good times when she was making money from her royal connections ( for which it is said she recieved a lower settlement so she could talk about her royal life) but then turned around in the bad times to say she should have got more. Sarah has had every oppourtunity to make a comfortable life for herslef but chose not to, that is her fault and her fault alone.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:58 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
Hhhhmmmm .... Sarah's behaviour can't impact on the British Royal Court.
If some of the younger members choose to act foolishly, this will still not impinge on the "top layer" of Royals.
Agreed. The people in Britain know who know what Sarah is in a "Royal" context and wouldn't connect. Those on my side of the Atlantic who have been suckered through things like "Finding Sarah" don't know what an embarrassment Sarah really is so wouldn't sully the Queen's image in their minds either.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Especially since most of the stuff seems to have been disseminated mainly in America. For instance, I haven't seen any of her books over here for a long time.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:47 PM
Courtier

All good points, people.

Sorry, I should have made my point clearer - I was meaning to refer to the position shortly after Sarah's divorce when she first started her ' I am a single mother trying to bring up two children routine....' At that point, I seem to remember a frisson of disgust apparent.

IMHO, I really do believe that the Queen and her advisors really did think that [when negotiating Sarah's divorce settlement] that after Sarah had cashed in on her autobiography [i.e. Mark I autobiography] that she would start to fade away. If you turn up the coverage of the split between Sarah and Andrew, one of Sarah's most vocal complaints about Royal life was about the engagements that she was expected to undertake - she found them burdensome and boring. On that basis, I presume that everybody thought that she would not start to try to 'replicate a royal existence'. I do wonder what the Queen would have decided to do had she known how things would turn out - [mind you, hindsight is a wonderful thing.] For instance, the lawyers might have been instructed to thrash out an agreement whereby Sarah was required within a reasonable time to use the money to buy the house [as intended] and that this money was to be ringfenced. Perhaps also the Queen could have insisted on a clause that in return for the financial settlement that was agreed, that Sarah should agree not to use the Style of Sarah, Duchess of York after her Autobiography had been published.

Tommy100's points are very pertinent, although I am not convinced by the assertion that Sarah 'received a lower settlement..[than she would otherwise have been entitled too.' actually, I think that she received as much as she could have received under English law at that time.

Actually, since Sarah's settlement was NOT what is described in English law as a 'clean break settlement' because she still continued to receive a monthy settlement as well, it would have been interesting if the royal family lawyers had considered the possibility of requiring Sarah to make payments to Andrew when her income began to outstrip his, which it did in the early part of her 'independent career'

Only my thoughts

Alex
Old 07-19-2011, 03:59 PM
Nobility

Diarist, could I be nosey and ask how your day at the polo went?
Did Sarah or the girls show up?
Old 07-19-2011, 04:20 PM
Courtier

You are not being nosey at all Irish Eyes; in fact, thank you for asking. I arrived in very good time at Cowdray Park for a delicious lunch - and the weather was truly appalling - I got absolutely soaked even though I had a good umbrella [I also took a change of clothes]. The match was put back for a bit because of the terrible weather - I did not see Sarah or the girls. Actually, a lot of the expected people did not turn up because of the weather. [The sponsors, Veuve Cliquot Champagne, had commissioned a lot of panama hats and sunglasses as 'gifts for the guests' but my panama hat is still it its plastic bag as I had no opportunity to wear it....] I am therefore unable to say whether Sarah and the girls thought better of the weather and stayed away or whether they did not intend to go in the first place.

Alex

Alex
Old 07-19-2011, 08:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist View Post
I too cringed when Sarah began doing her 'I am a single mother with two small daughters to support' routine. ..
Rather disrepectful of all the single mothers out there who work 1 or 2 jobs in order to raise their children, put food on their plates, and pay the bills without the support of an ex husband and without alimony.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:26 AM
Courtier

When you look at her past stunts, she is lucky she got what she did. Diana did her fair share, but Fergie was beyond the pale. Fergie lived WAY above her means, passed her bills to HM (who prefers to live thriftily) and she cavorted half naked with a man in front of her daughters and ended up pulling more stuff up to the point where she couldn't even stay the time for the required royal holiday, I would have to state that many women have gotten less. May women would have been banned from seeing their kids.

She chose to roll over and accept less, but her actions have shown that any more money, and she would have lost it just the same.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:02 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist View Post
You are not being nosey at all Irish Eyes; in fact, thank you for asking. I arrived in very good time at Cowdray Park for a delicious lunch - and the weather was truly appalling - I got absolutely soaked even though I had a good umbrella [I also took a change of clothes]. The match was put back for a bit because of the terrible weather - I did not see Sarah or the girls. Actually, a lot of the expected people did not turn up because of the weather. [The sponsors, Veuve Cliquot Champagne, had commissioned a lot of panama hats and sunglasses as 'gifts for the guests' but my panama hat is still it its plastic bag as I had no opportunity to wear it....] I am therefore unable to say whether Sarah and the girls thought better of the weather and stayed away or whether they did not intend to go in the first place.

Alex

Alex
Ah it's a shame the weather spoiled things a bit. Make sure you make use of your panama hit and sunglasses. Sorry for going off topic.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:04 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I think Sarah got an extremely generous divorce settlement, at the end of the day she got an amount of money that at the time was enough to buy a large house with land for herself (500,000), 350,000 to spend however she liked which she could have invested to generate more income and then a small continuining allowance.
Sarah was never given money to buy a house or land for HERSELF. The divorce settlement stipulated that the house that would be bought would be put in Beatrice's and Eugenie's names. One was selected by the royal advisors, it met all the security requirements. But Sarah didn't end up taking it on as she couldn't afford to run it. It needed a large staff, so she rented for a few years, then moved back to Sunninghill. Also part of her divorce settlement she signed over her share of Sunninghill (which was in both names) to Andrew. He sold it a few years ago for a huge profit which is the source of a great deal of his current wealth. Sarah got nothing from that sale.
She gave half her divorce settlement to her mother as the ranch in Argentina was heavily in debt after Hector Barrantes's death. Sarah owns a share of the ranch, it's lived in and farmed by the Barrantes sons.

Sarah's main problem is that she is generous and is not practical when it comes to money. When her daughters were young, Andrew paid the school fees, but Sarah paid everything else. She was earning large sums of money and was generous with it, to the extent that a couple of years she even paid for Andrew's staff Christmas parties. (Before Sunninghill was sold and Andrew had less money!) It's not surprising that now her daughters and Andrew are prepared to help her out. Whether or not she's going to acquire a more practical approach to money, we'll have to see.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:22 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1 View Post
Sarah was never given money to buy a house or land for HERSELF. The divorce settlement stipulated that the house that would be bought would be put in Beatrice's and Eugenie's names. One was selected by the royal advisors, it met all the security requirements. But Sarah didn't end up taking it on as she couldn't afford to run it. It needed a large staff, so she rented for a few years, then moved back to Sunninghill. Also part of her divorce settlement she signed over her share of Sunninghill (which was in both names) to Andrew. He sold it a few years ago for a huge profit which is the source of a great deal of his current wealth. Sarah got nothing from that sale.
She gave half her divorce settlement to her mother as the ranch in Argentina was heavily in debt after Hector Barrantes's death. Sarah owns a share of the ranch, it's lived in and farmed by the Barrantes sons.

Sarah's main problem is that she is generous and is not practical when it comes to money. When her daughters were young, Andrew paid the school fees, but Sarah paid everything else. She was earning large sums of money and was generous with it, to the extent that a couple of years she even paid for Andrew's staff Christmas parties. (Before Sunninghill was sold and Andrew had less money!) It's not surprising that now her daughters and Andrew are prepared to help her out. Whether or not she's going to acquire a more practical approach to money, we'll have to see.
Thank you for the backround information. I was aware of the situation re the ranch in Argentina, but I had wondered about the sale of Sunninghill.
At the time it might have been a fair enough exchange with Andrew paying school fees, but I doubt anyone could have foreseen the profit it would eventually sell for. I didn't even know if the Queen ever put the marital home in Andrew and Sarah's names. When she was making the Times rich list Sarah was reported to have paid for ski trips and parties etc., but like you say she wasn't practical and didn't make any shrewd, long term investments to fall back on. If Andrew's people continue to manage her finances hopefully they will help to keep things on a firmer footing.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:37 AM
Courtier

It actually makes things even worse. She was given money to buy a house for her girls who she is such a great mother off. There was one house suggested but she turned it down due to not being able to afford the upkeep. Yet she went on to rent a couple of houses where security wasn't an issue and she had a lot of help! Sarah could off found a house to buy that suited the security needs she seemed to have no trouble renting any and paying for help.Giving her mother the money that was supposed to provide for her own daughters future does not make her look like a good mother. The place in Argentina had a lot of money problems it seems because some of the money she made from the Hello photo spread when the girls were young was also used to help her mother pay debts for the Argentina property. I think Sarahs track record shows she only thinks of the moment and not of what she would need in the future. The sunninghill sale is probably why Andrew is able to help her with her debts etc it doesn't hurt him too at the moment. But his own lifestyle is pretty expensive and I doubt he will have much left if he continues to pay her bills and his own. Even when Sarah had a huge income she didn't invest in her own property she moved back in with Andrew so the whole she couldn't afford to buy a house and maintain it just doesn't add up.