The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke of York, Sarah Duchess of York, and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-09-2012, 05:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Well to be honest, I'd hold off on the tar brush completely. Andrew and Sarah managed their separation and divorce with such decency and grace all the while ensuring that their daughter's lives were adversely impacted in as little way as possible.

Not for them the yo-yo kids with all their neuroses, just two little girls who knew for sure and certain that their parents adored them and would do everything possible to ensure their happiness. They were never caught in the middle, required to pick sides or used as weapons by their parents. Now they are two lovely young women with impeccable manners, interesting fashion sense, and who are totally uninhibited about their love for their parents and don't care who knows it.

The girls are living breathing proof of their parents basic natures. They are trophies of a warm, loving and totally supportive upbringing and whatever we think of their life choices, Andrew and Sarah did the most important thing absolutely right. And in the "Great Royal Goldfish Bowl" to boot!

Old 12-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Lovely post, Marg. I wish I'd said it. I totally agree with every word.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Well to be honest, I'd hold off on the tar brush completely. Andrew and Sarah managed their separation and divorce with such decency and grace all the while ensuring that their daughter's lives were adversely impacted in as little way as possible....
Good observation, but perhaps I wasn't clear in my post. I was agreeing with Suztav's post that was complimentary of their parenting skills despite people's personal opinions of them. My point is that I just don't think it fair that their children be tarred by unfavorable opinions, whatever they are, of Andrew and Sarah. I find it irksome when the princesses undeservedly get backlash from bad press about their parents. The girls are certainly an admirable example of a couple very deeply committed to bringing up their children in a fine manner in a very public venue despite their personal problems. With that, Andrew and Sarah have done extremely well, and Beatrice and Eugenie should therefore be judged on their own very considerable and positive merits alone.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:45 PM
Nobility

I think that if this arrangement works for them, who am I to criticize. Does she only live with him at Royal Lodge?
Old 12-09-2012, 08:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Well to be honest, I'd hold off on the tar brush completely. Andrew and Sarah managed their separation and divorce with such decency and grace all the while ensuring that their daughter's lives were adversely impacted in as little way as possible.

Not for them the yo-yo kids with all their neuroses, just two little girls who knew for sure and certain that their parents adored them and would do everything possible to ensure their happiness. They were never caught in the middle, required to pick sides or used as weapons by their parents. Now they are two lovely young women with impeccable manners, interesting fashion sense, and who are totally uninhibited about their love for their parents and don't care who knows it.

The girls are living breathing proof of their parents basic natures. They are trophies of a warm, loving and totally supportive upbringing and whatever we think of their life choices, Andrew and Sarah did the most important thing absolutely right. And in the "Great Royal Goldfish Bowl" to boot!
Nicely said and I agree. Their parents shared the best of their respective natures without passing along some of the rest, it seems.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:47 AM
Nobility

Quote:

Well said!
Old 12-10-2012, 03:39 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I am in complete agreement with MARG as well.
Regardless of choices Andrew and Sarah made in their lives, they proved to be loving and caring parents who put the needs of their children above everything else.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:54 PM
Aristocracy

I'd like to join in here with the general chorus of approval of Marg's comment. Well said! Sarah and Andrew provided a loving, nurturing environment for their girls and always put them first, whatever might have been going on between them. And the fundamental decency and well-adjusted nature of the Princesses is the best argument you could ever make for the values and character of their parents!
http://duchessofyork.webeden.co.uk/
Old 12-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Majesty

I agree, it touches me that despite all the crazy stuff Andrew & Sarah have been through, they have somehow managed to keep their family together and still live under the same roof. They have raised two beautiful young women and who are very down to earth.

I'm sure The Queen & Prince Philip and the entire royal family admire the Yorks dedication to keeping their family together and full of love.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Well said, MARG. I totally agree!
Old 12-11-2012, 05:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

I kind of feel sorry for Andrew, his sister and brother have remarried and are happy, I think Anne is; but Andrew hasn't found someone.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 12-12-2012, 03:10 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I kind of feel sorry for Andrew, his sister and brother have remarried and are happy, I think Anne is; but Andrew hasn't found someone.
I wish he would, I have always liked him.
(i am single...)
Old 12-12-2012, 03:43 AM
Majesty

Both Andrew & Sarah have dated other people over the years but something tells me what they really want is each other. I just have that feeling.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

if Sarah wanted Andrew she shouldn't have cheated on him.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 12-12-2012, 05:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
if Sarah wanted Andrew she shouldn't have cheated on him.
I think that was a long time ago. I suspect they will continue to live together, and at some stage, possibly after the girls are settled, become a couple again. They probably will not marry, but I can slowly see Sarah being gradually brought back into Andrew's world.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:56 AM
Courtier

I can't I think the time has passed. Andrew seems very happy dating others which he does. Don't know if Sarah dates she keeps it very quiet but she has had relationships over the years too. I don't ever see Sarah being part in anyway of the Royal Family again. They don't "live" together Andrew has been nice enough to give her a suite they would barely even see each other. Andrew does a lot of engagements and is rarely home and Sarah travels as well. I actually believe he needs to get her out of his house if he really wants a proper relationship with a woman. Sarah is a grown woman who should really fend for herself and pay her own rent like most other grownups do. All Andrew is doing is enabling her and she will never leave while she has it so good. I don't think it's a healthy relationship at all it isn't his job to look after Sarah.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:29 PM
Majesty

Well, I think if Andrew & Sarah really wanted to move on, they would have done so by now. I think a year or two ago Andrew was on a yacth with a beautiful young lady but she said in an interview all Andrew talked about was Sarah.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
I can't I think the time has passed. Andrew seems very happy dating others which he does. Don't know if Sarah dates she keeps it very quiet but she has had relationships over the years too. I don't ever see Sarah being part in anyway of the Royal Family again. They don't "live" together Andrew has been nice enough to give her a suite they would barely even see each other. Andrew does a lot of engagements and is rarely home and Sarah travels as well. I actually believe he needs to get her out of his house if he really wants a proper relationship with a woman. Sarah is a grown woman who should really fend for herself and pay her own rent like most other grownups do. All Andrew is doing is enabling her and she will never leave while she has it so good. I don't think it's a healthy relationship at all it isn't his job to look after Sarah.
I tend to agree with you. When a man refers to his ex wife as his 3rd child it seems as if it is more about taking care of someone who cant really take care of herself and trying to make sure she stays out of trouble. In the Jubilee interview he did for CTV he talked about how she has rooms in his house that she uses when in town which seems a bit different than "living together". I will give them credit for having a good divorce which has been good for their children though. Having his ex wife around would I imagine put off any other woman he might have gotten serious about. I cannot imagine Sarah would be very happy at the idea of there being a new HRH The Duchess of York since being Sarah, Duchess of York is basically her meal ticket.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:21 PM
Majesty

The most telling thing for me about their relationship is that on the door of his suite in BP it still says 'TRH The Duke and Duchess of York' and Sarah does stay there at times as well. I can't remember where I read that but it is something I read recently - about the time of Andrew's 50th or one of the girls 21st birthdays.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:51 PM
Majesty

I think they a pretty healthy relationship and friendship. I think it was around Prince Andrew's 50th birthday that Beatrice said in an interview that they have a great family life at home. She and her sister seems very happy to have their parents living together at Windsor Lodge.

Of course some may think Sarah is the one that is preventing Andrew from moving on but I think he like the way he has set up his family life. I think he do get lonely on his official engagements though. He did have Sarah with him when he opened the 911 British Memorial Garden in New York.