A Wife for Prince Andrew, Duke of York

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My take is that he doesn't NEED a wife. Some men need one to take care of them, their children, make them look good at events a la Donald Trump, etc. Although (was it?) Rmay mentioned that if PA had one it might make him "look" better or get better publicity were he to have one? Now that's an interesting take. . .

I agree. And thats, what I wanted to say also in my post - if he would need a wife, he would have remarried a time ago. Well, maybe he would have more public attention with a wife on his side for sure... But he's the Duke of York, I suppose its not so important than with the Prince of Wales?

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe his happiness is very important to HM, the Queen. And there was an article in here about PA dating a woman who seemed very suitable but she declined. So I am not sure about that. Maybe he thought he "needed" her for good PR. He is awfully good at keeping his mouth shut so one doesn't really know. . . .:rolleyes:

My take is that he doesn't NEED a wife. Some men need one to take care of them, their children, make them look good at events a la Donald Trump, etc. Although (was it?) Rmay mentioned that if PA had one it might make him "look" better or get better publicity were he to have one? Now that's an interesting take. . .

Yep, I said that. :) I think Andrew might get better publicity (to some extent or in certain ways) if he did have a wife. I think he'd have a different image if he were married, especially to someone attractive, glamorous and slightly younger--think Nicholas Sarkozy and Carla Bruni.

That being said, I can't see Andrew remarrying anyone with the exception of Sarah. And if that were to happen, I don't think it would be the result of Andrew's instigation (however much he might want it). I think Andrew is the type of person who goes along with the status quo as much as possible, and right now, I think his "status quo" is the single life.

I think if Andrew wanted to get married again he would but he hasn't for two reasons 1) he hasnt met anyone he wanted to spend the rest of his life with. Just because he is older it doesn't mean that he can't fall in love, find a companion or get married. and 2) I have said it once and I have said it before. I think if she would agree to it (along with the Queen, Prince Phillip and a majority of the British public) he would remarry Fergie. They have a better relationship now than when they were married. They seem to care deeply for each other and have both have moved on from the issues of their marriage. I think they married for love but didn't have the friendship, the time together (with him being in the ARmy and her stepping out) to work on the marriage. I don't believe Fergie would do it but there you have it. And while I hate to bring Camilla into the mix, it wasn't so long ago that some people would have NEVER thought Charles would marry Camilla and he did it. They appear very happy. If Sarah makes Andrew happy and they can get it together (work for the FIRM, lessen any scandals) why shouldn't Andrew be happy as well?

Thats a lot to ask for (no scandals, British public approving of a remarriage, Phlilip, etc.) but that's they way it is in my world. I have always loved Sarah (scandals and all) and I think they were a great couple when it worked. They just couldn't keep it together.

But we shall see...its interesting that Charles married Camilla after the Queen Mother died. I wonder what would happen if Prince Phillip died (not that I am wishing it on him). The Queen apppears to have forgiven Sarah, I think she would approve a public rehabillitation project for Sarah and within two years of it beginning it could happen. Also, as long as Sarah didn't rock the boat, I can't see Charles standing in her way either. He finally got his happy ending...why would he stand in the way of his brother getting his?

Last edited:
Zonk, I love you like crazy, but Sarah's behaviour was so very vulgar. There's enough controversy around Andrew's monetary benefits as well, that adding Sarah could be a real tipping point.

I can see that if he took up again with Sarah, there would be all kinds of questions thrown around about how she was cashing in on her title (not that she ever stopped, but once you're "back in..."), on whether she could continue her line of endorsements and her speaking engagements upon remarriage, whether she could continue her independent charitable works or would they have to be discontinued or "taken over" as Royal patronages, or whether she should be on the Civil List or if Andrew's allotment should be increased since he's re-taken a wife. Charles didn't have any of those barriers in marrying Parker-Bowles; she'd never worked so she had no professional or other comparable accomplishments (such as Sarah has accomplished independently in rebuilding her life) to "leave behind," her children were grown and launched, and his money is from the Duchy of Cornwall so there are virtually no financial considerations.

I read an article recently wherein Sarah looked back wistfully at her married life, whereas when she was actually married to Andrew, all she could do was complain about how awful it was. Now as the years have passed, while their strong friendship has remained and they are outstanding examples of co-parenting, a remarriage would be more extraordinarily complicated than the wedding of a rumpus-y girl and a military officer who happened to be the Queen's son. Impossible? No. Very complicated? My, yes. It would be less of a remarriage and more of a carefully negotiated merger, methinks.

If Andrew were to remarry, best it be someone not Sarah.

My pick would be Natascha McElhone. Lovely, gracious, lively, interesting - a widow at a young age, and a respected member of the acting community. The line between Royals and celebrities is pretty well gone at this point, so I don't see that as a barrier.

Last edited:
Would a possible future wife of Prince Andrew, Duke of York also be styled as HRH Princess XX, Duchess of York?

She would simply be 'HRH The Duchess of York' just as Andrew is 'HRH The Duke of York'.

Thats a lot to ask for (no scandals, British public approving of a remarriage, Phlilip, etc.) but that's they way it is in my world. I have always loved Sarah (scandals and all) and I think they were a great couple when it worked. They just couldn't keep it together.
My poor romantic heart is with you on this one. I think it must have been a nightmare for her married to someone she loved but apart and whose only "safe" confidant was Diana.

I thought she looked absolutely wonderful as she walked up to aisle but I was stunned to hear some international commentators remark on how "her dress was designed to hide her somewhat heavy bottom and thighs to achieve a much slimmer illusion".. From that moment on she was toast! She was the ugly sister that made the princess look even more ravishing. Worse . . . . she had red hair and we all know what that means!

I think both Andrew and Sarah were very happy after they seperated even if they did keep getting busted doing romantic candlelit dinners in equally romantic restaurants. Being seperated gave them a greater degree of privacy and with all the gossip and scandal I have never been quite able to believe that her infamous "toe" snaps weren't staged for the paparazzi who proceeded to villify her to such and extent that a divorce was inevitable, as planned.

Having followed her "financial" restoration and media savvy in all the years after the divorce and her vociferous anger at sniping about both Beatrice and Eugenie's weight it is easy to see her remembered pain. But not about her ex. Never, not ever. Same with Andrew. Their "he/she is my best friend" is a mantra that many could do well to emulate.

I love that they still share the occasional "family" holiday together and are a very happy and stable divorced family unit. I just wish more people could conduct their marriages with half the stability that the York's do for their divorce!

The romantic side of me has always wanted Sarah and Andrew to remarry, but for years, I honestly didn't think it would happen. More recently, though, I've changed my mind. There are so many little signs that point to a remarriage in the next decade or so for Andrew and Sarah. I agree that, just like Charles "waited" (we think) until after the Queen Mother died to marry Camilla, Andrew also wouldn't marry Sarah until after Prince Philip passed. After that, though, I doubt the Queen would stand in the way of a remarriage, as long as she was reasonably sure that a remarriage wouldn't create any major new scandals. She seems to be fairly easy on her children and to want them to be happy.

As for public opinion on a remarriage, I think it would be divided. Didn't Andrew get better press than Sarah at the time of their separation/divorce? And yet nowadays, I really believe the media nowadays is more vicious towards Andrew than Sarah--it repeatedly accuses him of wasting millions of taxpayer dollars and being callously indifferent to the average taxpayer. The segment of the population that criticizes Andrew now would probably be against a remarriage--more waste of money, another "useless" York to trade in on her royal connections, etc. But I think the segment of the British population that feels negatively towards Andrew will feel that way whether Andrew remarries Sarah or not.

On the other hand, I suspect (although I don't know this, I don't live in Britain and I've never done a poll!) that another segment of the population would find a remarriage between Andrew and Sarah to be romantic and would see Sarah as an asset to the royal family. If I read news articles about Andrew, the comments seem to be generally negative. On the other hand, I frequently read comments from people supporting Sarah--praising her for rebuilding her life and having the courage to speak up about various issues, and wishing aloud that she would reunite with Andrew. Sarah does have fans. Yes, she will also always have detractors, but so will the monarchy.

I think it would be tricky for Andrew and Sarah to get back together and the circumstances would have to be absolutely right, but I think that if Sarah ever feels strongly enough about remarrying Andrew, it will happen. Other than Philip, I've always thought that the only real obstacle to a remarriage between Sarah and Andrew is whether Sarah would want it. Why would she want to go back to a family she felt didn't treat her well, why would she return to a British press that wrote scathingly about her 'vulgarity' and weight? If she wants to keep the "perks" of being royal without having to follow the protocol, she would keep things as they are right now. But...this spring especially, she gave a lot of interviews to promote "The Young Victoria", and in every single interview I really noticed how much she seemed to want to go back to Britain, to "do things over again" with Andrew (even 17 years after their separation!). The really telling comment was when someone asked her if she would ever remarry Andrew and her answer amounted to "I'm not sure, I'd have to think about it, maybe I'm older and wiser now," which was really interesting because I know for certain that for years, her answer to those kind of questions has always been a flat-out "no, we're better off as friends."

I think if Sarah talks that way, then she is not content with the way her life is right now and that eventually she will fight to re-enter the royal family. Just my opinion! I don't think it will happen right away, but I definitely wouldn't count out a remarriage between Andrew and Sarah, especially not if Sarah wants it. People may not always care for her and sometimes I find her a bit "much," but whenever Sarah has wanted something in the past--to pay off her debts, to lose weight, to make a movie about Queen Victoria--she has always worked until she has achieved it.

edited -------- The segment of the population that criticizes Andrew now would probably be against a remarriage--more waste of money, another "useless" York to trade in on her royal connections, etc. But I think the segment of the British population that feels negatively towards Andrew will feel that way whether Andrew remarries Sarah or not.

On the other hand, I suspect (although I don't know this, I don't live in Britain and I've never done a poll!) that another segment of the population would find a remarriage between Andrew and Sarah to be romantic and would see Sarah as an asset to the royal family. edited
A great many wouldn't have any feelings whatsoever if Andrew and Sarah remarried, many young people have no idea who she is, (as was seen on one of the programmes she was involved with). I doubt she would ever be seen by the British as 'a great asset' under any circumstances. She is too old for the youngsters to take an interest in and those that follow royalty will know of her indescretions and her debts, repaid or not and will ask how much she is likely to cost.

The only way it could work, IMO, is on the understanding that either he distanced himself from the royal family and sought real employment or she gave up any business involvements, (ie inteviews that pay, representing a particular brand). Otherwise it will be seen as her remarrying to cash in on her husbands royal connection.

But even unmarried the is cashing in on her husbands royal connections, do not think weight watchers would look at her twice just for the fact that she has lost weight, nor would Oprah interview her etc.

A great many wouldn't have any feelings whatsoever if Andrew and Sarah remarried, many young people have no idea who she is, (as was seen on one of the programmes she was involved with). I doubt she would ever be seen by the British as 'a great asset' under any circumstances. She is too old for the youngsters to take an interest in and those that follow royalty will know of her indescretions and her debts, repaid or not and will ask how much she is likely to cost.

The only way it could work, IMO, is on the understanding that either he distanced himself from the royal family and sought real employment or she gave up any business involvements, (ie inteviews that pay, representing a particular brand).
Otherwise it will be seen as her remarrying to cash in on her husbands royal connection.[/
quote]

I think if Andrew and Sarah were to remarry each other, it could work if they worked out where they went wrong first time round and learn from their mistakes. They are not the same people as they were this time 23 years ago, nor are there the same issues now that dogged them in their married years, especially the early '90s. Andrew is no longer in the Navy so now I would imagine that they'd have the time to work at their marriage if it were to take place. It would be lovely if they did get married again.

I think if Andrew and Sarah were to remarry each other, it could work if they worked out where they went wrong first time round and learn from their mistakes. They are not the same people as they were this time 23 years ago, nor are there the same issues now that dogged them in their married years, especially the early '90s. Andrew is no longer in the Navy so now I would imagine that they'd have the time to work at their marriage if it were to take place. It would be lovely if they did get married again.
See, I don't know if they have learned from their mistakes, they seem to be in financial chaos--of sorts--again and then there's "Freebie" Fergie, living at "Airmiles" Andy's home. . . :ermm:

Let's forget Sarah, what about a lovely new wife. It's my favourite subject, but not with "Sarah' in the picture

See, I don't know if they have learned from their mistakes, they seem to be in financial chaos--of sorts--again and then there's "Freebie" Fergie, living at "Airmiles" Andy's home. . . :ermm:

They're still close, aren't they so I don't see why they shouldn't remarry each other.

Let's forget Sarah, what about a lovely new wife. It's my favourite subject, but not with "Sarah' in the picture

Bravo! I feel quite the same. Andrew could look to Denmark for a wonderful example of a successful and respectful co-parenting after divorce: then remarriage with a fresh face, no hard feelings, and joy all around.

Plus there might even be a son out of it, so that the Duchy of York is inherited, rather than merging back with the Crown after Andrew's death.

Bravo! I feel quite the same. Andrew could look to Denmark for a wonderful example of a successful and respectful co-parenting after divorce: then remarriage with a fresh face, no hard feelings, and joy all around.

Plus there might even be a son out of it, so that the Duchy of York is inherited, rather than merging back with the Crown after Andrew's death.

Yes, now let's put our heads together and find someone

:previous: Well you can take Angie Everhart off the list of hopefuls. They dated on and off a while ago. But I recently read that she had a baby with someone. Oh well.

:previous: Well you can take Angie Everhart off the list of hopefuls. They dated on and off a while ago. But I recently read that she had a baby with someone. Oh well.
Rumored to be Joe Pesci's, see here.
Angie Everhart

She and Prince Andrew are reported as still being good friends.

He sure likes those red heads, doesn't he?? :whistling:

Russophile,what do you think of Pia Getty for our Prince?Especially now that she's available again.I remember once I read that her sister,MC,had Prince Edward in mind before meeting Paul of Greece.Now that could be a scoop!

:previous: I wouldn't mind Pia Getty. She seems to have class and leads a very low profile life.

Russophile I had no idea about Pesci, didn't know they even dated. It didn't say in the article who the father was. Then again she could've dated someone else around that time too. hm... interesting.

Melina, she's certainly a STUNNER! Almost reminds me of those Fabulous Morgan sisters. . .
Those Hollywood types Do get around, don't they DC? :D

I won't hold my breath for the wedding bells. Prince Andrew's close relationship with his ex wife is not really due to residual affection. He once told a TV interviewer that their unified approach was the most suitable and supportive way to raise the two princesses.:flowers:

The two princesses are grown and flew the coop. That reasoning went out of the window as well. If it ever existed.
Still whoever she may be, she needs to be very accepting of his ex, since she is a constant presence in his life and she is not going away anytime soon.:whistling:

You have actually given a great argument for why I don't think he is even looking for another wife - he has one in all but name and her name is Sarah. I really do see them as a couple just not a married couple any more.

Are you suggesting they're still, you know...?:D
I just can't believe the pair would keep a relationship like that a secret. Could Sarah stop it from slipping out all these years? No, this is wishful thinking.

Yes, just about every time Mr. Fishfingers says they aren't "serious" she trots out the "I love Andrew" thing.
Maybe it's just safer for him to be single? Mr. Russo's ex is like that. She comes over all the time, she calls to no end, they are NOT amiable like Andrew and Sarah and there is the difference. Andrew LETS her do this, Mr. Russo does NOT. Until Andrew can, IMO, get a backbone, Sarah will always have the power to dictate who he does and does not see.

If you scroll to the bottom of this interview, you will see what Andrew said a few days ago when asked about remarriage. (Interestingly it doesn't look like the reporter specifically asked him about remarriage to Sarah, but that's how he interpreted it.)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...is-family.html

I think "do we have to be married?" says that Andrew is content with his relationship with Sarah the way it is, but he also doesn't rule out the possibility of remarrying her. If Andrew was secretly tired of having Sarah around but didn't have enough "backbone" to say no to her, why would he even mention that possibility? He could have just said, "Do we have to be married? We're happy as it is," and left it at that. Sarah and Andrew actually seem to be on the same page when it comes to their relationship--Sarah just talks about it much more. ;)

My impression is that Andrew and Sarah have an unspoken agreement that they'll remain single until Prince Philip dies. There were a few years when I thought they might remarry other people--when Sarah had moved out of Sunninghill and I remember her actually saying she would never remarry Andrew, and Andrew was also in a supposedly fairly serious relationship with Amanda Staveley. But nothing came of it, so I think Andrew and Sarah have an understanding, not that they will remarry someday, but that they'll make their decision about it when Philip dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom