A Wife for Prince Andrew, Duke of York

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As for Andrew no longer being a Royal, that's not going to happen. Even if he retired from public life--which would be a shame at his comparatively young age and physical fitness--he would still be HRH The Prince Andrew The Duke of York.

Oh, Mermaid...I know that. :flowers:

They almost act like dowagers in fact, and unlike the Wales boys they have never embarrassed their parents or the Crown.

Dowagers? That's way over the top. While running around naked on a college campus or leaving the keys inside an expensive car isn't wearing a Nazi uniform to a fancy dress paty, it's still quite embarrassing.

A wife for Andrew? Sarah could be it - when Andrew ceases to be Royal and his obligations to the Firm are ended.

Maybe not wife, as I pointed out, maybe just officially his girlfriend/partner/sexy golfing buddy. Whatever you wanna call it.

Last edited:
We don't need to start the comparisons between the York and Wales families.

Let's get back on topic.

At this time, it seems that Prince Philip has put his foot down over this. I am wondering about King Charles and what he would say to it when that time comes.

At this time, it seems that Prince Philip has put his foot down over this. I am wondering about King Charles and what he would say to it when that time comes.

The Queen probably could, if she wished, force Andrew to sever his ties with Sarah.
Unlike Charles, Andrew is financially dependent on her.
But it seems as if, at least so far, she is reluctant to take that step.

The Queen probably could, if she wished, force Andrew to sever his ties with Sarah.

How could any loving mother force a beloved child to sever ties with the mother of that child's own children?

None that I know would do that.

HM the Queen seems way too humane a person and compassionate as a parent and grandparent to put Prince Andrew in a position like that.

The Duchess of York is not the first member of the family to become a liability/embarrassment(remember Queen Elizabeth's uncle George Duke of Kent...rumored cocaine addict and openly bi-sexual? Or how about Uncle David and Aunt Wallis?!:ohmy:)

Sarah is not the first and she will not be the last, either.

How could any loving mother force a beloved child to sever ties with the mother of that child's own children?

None that I know would do that.
I could see Eleanor of Aquitane doing it. She was a hell of a woman.

Russophile, how right you are!

In fact, Fergie would be consigned to a dungeon by now with EOA as a mother-in-law....either that or MUCH worse! :lol:

I can't see the Queen doing that at all. From what I've read about her, she is a gentle, patient, sympathetic and even soft-hearted lady.

I can't see the Queen doing that at all. From what I've read about her, she is a gentle, patient, sympathetic and even soft-hearted lady.

No, I can't see it either, yet I think it would be for his own good. I also think it would be in his best interest to marry again, for several reasons; 1. As some have mentioned, he frequently seems rather lonely. 2. If there is a bona fide Duchess of York, Sarah will no longer be able to flaunt that title and keep cashing in. There simply won't be any interest whatsoever. 3. Andrew will no longer feel obligated to rush to her rescue when she gets in trouble; even if he is, his new wife will have something to say about that! 4. Another wife will build up a more respectable social circle for him than the likes of Epstein.

Last edited:
There are many people who would like to see Andrew remarry for the reasons Mirabel pointed out, but he should do what makes him happiest.
If he wants to find someone new the very best of luck to him, or if whatever he has with Sarah is what he wants then so be it.
No point in settling for second best, life is too short.

I think if Andrew wanted to marry again, he would. Unlike many divorced men his age, he is in the lucky position of being able to meet lots and lots of eligible women who might catch his eye and with whom he might form a new relationship. But he hasn't. I think either he doesn't want to marry again because he doesn't want to be married again, or because there is only one woman he wants to marry again. I find it hard to believe that, if he was seriously looking, in all these years he hasn't found someone.

I think if Andrew wanted to marry again, he would. Unlike many divorced men his age, he is in the lucky position of being able to meet lots and lots of eligible women who might catch his eye and with whom he might form a new relationship. But he hasn't. I think either he doesn't want to marry again because he doesn't want to be married again, or because there is only one woman he wants to marry again. I find it hard to believe that, if he was seriously looking, in all these years he hasn't found someone.

He found his soulmate 25 years ago and married her I believe.

Neither he nor she has been in a really serious relationship since they divorced, which says a lot about where both of them are and why I believe that they are more a de facto couple than anything else.

Okay, I am going to take my life in my hands here and post what I have been thinking for awhile (coming out of lurker phase).
I think once you call any significant other or ex-significant other your 3rd child you have said it all. I take this to mean that yes, he loves Sara but he is not in love with her. However I do think PA feels a sense of loyalty and protection towards her. And will try to help her whenever possible.
I do want to state on a personal note I have an ex that I lived with for almost 2 years after we broke up. Funnily enough we couldn't live together happily at all as a couple but the moment we broke up and I got my own room and space things were so much more comfortable. Neither one of us has really had a long term successful relationship since. Not because we are carrying torches for each other but because we have not yet found anyone we want to be with. And for the record while I love him and we are still great friends I am NOT IN LOVE with him nor would I take him back in a romantic sense if my life depended upon it.
I think that this is exactly what is going on with PA & Sara. They have a living situation that works and is financially stable and probably comfortable. And let's face it they both travel a lot and it is a large house so not being in each other's faces would be easy. I really don't think that they will ever remarry each other though I can see PA finding someone later in life to settle down with though I do not think he will ever totally abandon Sara, it just doesn't seem like his style.

Question, and this seems as good a thread for me to post it as any:

Since Sarah is still Duchess of York, what would happen if Andrew married someone else? Would the title go to the new wife? Would there be two Duchesses of York running around, one an HRH, the other not?

I always thought it was foolish of the BRF to allow Diana and Fergie to keep their titles when they divorced.

Its not foolish of the BRF, its the way divorced peers are called.

For the record, if Andrew remarried, his wife would be HRH The Duchess of York, Princess Andrew, etc.

Sarah is titled as a divorced woman. Sarah, Duchess o York. Its just like the situation of a Andrew Windsor Mountbatten who is remarried. His ex wife is Sarah Windsor Mountbatten (unless she takes her maiden name back) and his wife is Mrs. Andrew Windsor Mountbatten or Mrs. Jessica Windsor Mountbatten.

The exwife of the Duke of Roxburghe is known as XXXX, Duchess of Roxburghe. Its no different from anyone else in the aristocracy.

So techinically, there is only One Duchess of York.

For the record, if Andrew remarried, his wife would be HRH The Duchess of York, Princess Andrew, etc.

Sarah is titled as a divorced woman. Sarah, Duchess o York. Its just like the situation of a Andrew Windsor Mountbatten who is remarried. His ex wife is Sarah Windsor Mountbatten (unless she takes her maiden name back) and his wife is Mrs. Andrew Windsor Mountbatten or Mrs. Jessica Windsor Mountbatten.

The exwife of the Duke of Roxburghe is known as XXXX, Duchess of Roxburghe. Its no different from anyone else in the aristocracy.

Thanks for your response. I should have known that there was a protocol for this and that the BRF was following it.

Last edited:
No worries.

Its actually one of the reasons that the BRF was hesitant for Wallis Simpson to be given an HRH. Since she had already divorced two husbands they didn't see any reason why she wouldn't divorce David. And they didn't want an ex HRH, Queen, Princess, Duchess of anything roaming about.

Of course people think there are other reasons (jealousy, spite, etc) but that is the topic for another thread.

For the record, if Andrew doesn't remarry Sarah I don't think he will remarry at all.

For the record, if Andrew doesn't remarry Sarah I don't think he will remarry at all.

I agree with that--I have never heard of either of them being in a serious relationship since their divorce.

Ok, that is confusing as heck to me. So if Andrew married again, his wife would be the Duchess of York and Sarah would still be the Duchess of York?:sad::blink:

Sarah's title is that of a Divorced Peeress..so she is Sarah, Duchess of York.

If Andrew remarries his wife would be HRH The Duchess of York.

Ok, that is confusing as heck to me. So if Andrew married again, his wife would be the Duchess of York and Sarah would still be the Duchess of York?:sad::blink:
Not quite because Sarah is not the Duchess of York. She is Sarah, Duchess of York. There is a difference. If Andrew married Miss Jane Smith she would become HRH The Duchess of York but not Jane, Duchess of York (unless they later divorced).

If Andrew married again, his wife would be HRH Sarah, The Duchess of York.
Sarah Ferguson would still be known as Sarah, Duchess of York. The difference is in the HRH and the capital "The" before the title. It is like Mr. Smith divorcing Mrs. Smith and marrying another woman - the new woman also becomes Mrs. Smith, while the ex-wife (unless she remarries) still remains Mrs. Smith.

In other words, even if Andrew remarries, Sarah will always be the Duchess of York. The only way that changes is if Sarah herself remarries (or so I understand).

If Andrew married again, his wife would be HRH Sarah, The Duchess of York.

The new wife would not use her Christian name between the HRH and The Duchess of York, but would simply be HRH The Duchess of York.

Ok, this is starting to make sense to me. It reminds me of the Mary, Queen of Scots situation. I get the titles now, but why will Sarah "always" be the Duchess of York unless she remarries. Shouldn't that title be taken away when she divorces the Duke of York?

It's like someone taking her husband's last name when she marries - even if she divorces him, she still can keep his last name.

Could Sarah choose to go back to her maiden name if she wanted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom