A Wife for Prince Andrew, Duke of York

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
morhange said:
Andrew won't get a Earldom because he sort of already has one in the form of the courtesey title for the Duke of York, as the Earl of Inverness.

There is no "sort of" about it. He holds the earldom in his own right, as well as a barony. It's not a courtesy title in respect to Andrew. If he had a son, then the son would be known as Earl of Inverness as a courtesy title.

lady_windsor said:
Ok...somebody has probably answered this before, but if andrew remarries what will happen to Sarahs Title? Do they both remain duchess of york (sarah and his new wife)?
Also...if Sarah and Andrew remarried, do you think the queen will give them another title..such as earl and countess of.....?(i heard the queen gives titles upon marriage-i dont know if its true)

Sarah has no title since her divorce. It is part of her name ans she is now Sarah, Duchess of York.

selrahc4 said:
There is no "sort of" about it. He holds the earldom in his own right, as well as a barony. It's not a courtesy title in respect to Andrew. If he had a son, then the son would be known as Earl of Inverness as a courtesy title.

A son would be HRH Prince ... of York according to the Letters Patent of 1917. Only if they would follow the decision of Edward and Sophie a son would be styled as Earl of Inverness.

Stefan said:
A son would be HRH Prince ... of York according to the Letters Patent of 1917. Only if they would follow the decision of Edward and Sophie a son would be styled as Earl of Inverness.

Absolutely true. Thanks. I went a step too far in trying to emphasize that the title was truly Andrew's and not a courtesy.

chrissy57 said:
Her official title would be HRH The Duchess of York. Her duties would be those of the wife of the second son of the monarch - similar to those of the wives of the other sons of the monarch.

Not to beat the question to death, but if P. Andrew remarried wouldn't his new wifes' title be : (for example) HRH Princesss Sonia of England, Duchess of York..etc (does anyone know what his full title is?).
OR HRH Princess ANDREW, Duchess of York..etc.

My understanding is that the correct title would be HRH The Duchess of York, Countess of Inverness and Baroness Killyleagh - just as Camilla is now HRH The Duchess of Cornwall etc - not The Princess Charles, The Duchess of Cornwall.

Wikipedia does say that Sarah's correct title throughout her marriage was The Princess Andrew, The Duchess of York, Countess of Inverness and Baronesss Killyleagh - without the HRH but they also have her listed as HRH The Duchess of York (without the Princess Andrew part). In other words they have conflicting information in the same section of the site - one in the list of her titles which says HRH The Duchess of York but then in a sentence under that list where they say that she was The Princess Andrew, Duchess of York (without the HRH). Today she is simply Sarah, Duchess of York with the 'Duchess or York' really being like a surname although not actually a surname.

This discussion could have been based on future marriage to a commoner or a princess. What will be the title of the brtish monarch to his new wife if he marries to a Queen who will not be that much interest into such title? so, that he will only have to attach new title with his Queen, and Sarah can still keep the way it is. Will it stop all the complicated discussion here? If so, pardon me..:) <of course, not a courtesy pardon> :)

Last edited:
Crystal said:
This discussion could have been based on future marriage to a commoner or a princess.

If Andrew marries a person with the title of Princess in their right then she would remain Princess 'her own name' and add the titles Duke of York, Earl of Inverness, Baronessn Killyleagh. If she is a commoner then she becomes Princess Andrew. Nothing complicated with that.

What will be the title of the brtish monarch to his new wife if he marries to a Queen who will not be that much interest into such title?

The title of the British monarch can't change = she would remain the Queen.

If Andrew married a Queen in her own right then he would remain Duke of York and said Queen would add that title to her own but would probably never use them - in the same way that the present Queen is the Duchess of Edinburgh (as that title is held by her husband she is the Duchess but hasn't used it since succeeding to the throne in 1952).

so, that he will only have to attach new title with his Queen, and Sarah can still keep the way it is.

Sarah's name will only change when she marries and has nothing to do whatsoever with Andrew remarrying. He could remarry and divorce 10 times and have numerous ex-wives roaming around as xxxx, Duchess of York. This happens - there are instances within the British peerage of multiple ex-wives. e.g. Earl Spencer has two ex-wives (I think the first wife has remarried) but if she hasn't then there are two women whose names are xxx, Countess Spencer and when he remarries that won't change - they, if not remarried remain that way and he could have another wife with the title The Countess Spencer.

Will it stop all the complicated discussion here? If so, pardon me..:) <of course, not a courtesy pardon> :)

No as you have added in new complications to this discussion - that is what happens to discussions - someone throws in a new wrinkle and new conversations occur.

PS Welcome to the board and I hope that you enjoy your time with us, contribute to the discussions and throw new wrinkles in at times as well as they are fun.

That was not a new complication threw in or added. Just as a new innovative or a practically possible fact to complete the discussion, probably. :rolleyes:

Because no one seems having a thought about possibility of he could marry to a Queen naturally as Queens are also in female category (although could be in male line on throne) who can marry to an unmarried male at their own right if in love by both side. Right? :ROFLMAO:

Crystal said:
That was not a new complication threw in or added. Just as a new innovative or a practically possible fact to complete the discussion, probably. :rolleyes:

You mentioned the complication of the thread and then added in a new possibility. That simply makes the possible permutations more complictated than those that we were dealing with. It added a new dimension certainly but was also a new complication.

I suspect that English isn't your first language and therefore the use of words like complication, dimension, innovation etc may be words where the nuances and differences in meaning aren't as clear to you.

Basically - we had a conversation going - you added to it with a new idea and therefore added a new complication to the scenario of Andrew and a new wife.

Because no one seems having a thought about possibility of he could marry to a Queen

No one had considered that true - probably because no one could actually think of an eligible queen for him to marry - all the queen's that I can think of are currently married.

Do you know of a Queen who isn't currently married who could be eligible for Andrew?

naturally as Queens are also in female category (although could be in male line on throne) who can marry to an unmarried male at their own right if in love by both side. Right? :ROFLMAO:

Yes a Queen could marry an unmarried male who is in line to another throne however the precedent set by Prince Philip is that the prince in line to the other throne would probably have to give up his own claim.

The best example of this sort of thing would be if Prince Harry were to marry Princess Victoria of Sweden - would Harry have to renounce his claim to the British throne - or vice versa - if Princess Madelaine married Prince William.

Personally I doubt if the British royals will marry a royal from a ruling house for the simple reason that they don't seem to mix all that much with them any more.

chrissy57 said:
My understanding is that the correct title would be HRH The Duchess of York, Countess of Inverness and Baroness Killyleagh - just as Camilla is now HRH The Duchess of Cornwall etc - not The Princess Charles, The Duchess of Cornwall.
Yes the Titles of Sarah during the marriage where HRH Princess of the UK, Duchess of York, Countess of Inverness and Baroness Kilyleagh but seh was styled as HRH the Duchess of York. The same for Sophie she is HRH Princess of the UK, Countess of Wessex, Viscounte4ss Severn but styled as HRh the Countess of Wessex.
Members of the Royal Family who have an Ducal or Countly Title are not styled as Prince/Princess like HRH the Duke of York or HRH the Earl of Wessex.

Last edited by a moderator:
chrissy57 said:
I suspect that English isn't your first language and therefore the use of words like complication, dimension, innovation etc may be words where the nuances and differences in meaning aren't as clear to you.
You may probably be very right that English is not my first language :bang: (hopefully you pointed not as a language discrimination but as clear as you could understand what I mentioned, thanks God for that). Although I have many other first languages other than only English, I am impressed indeed by your usage of English Language. ;)
chrissy57 said:
Basically - we had a conversation going - you added to it with a new idea and therefore added a new complication to the scenario of Andrew and a new wife.
However to any scenario, I could understand differences between words such as complication, suspect, doubt and renounce are not good words at all, in any kind of conversation.:wacko: Those words could be isolated in meaning of world language but it still is O.K. That's very much understandable because you are using Very English.
chrissy57 said:
Do you know of a Queen who isn't currently married who could be eligible for Andrew?
There are Many Gracious Queens around the world who are young and very eligible but Royal Fans may not know they are existed. Even in United States: A Lot. But they are so busy with public works and unable to join or pay much attention to Typical Royal Society. I am thinking to move to U.S. to find one handsome prince :in_love: for myself. I better help find a princess or a queen for HRH Prince Andrew. Two more good ideas? :idea: :cool:
chrissy57 said:
Yes a Queen could marry an unmarried male who is in line to another throne however the precedent set by Prince Philip is that the prince in line to the other throne would probably have to give up his own claim.
Why did Prince Philip has to give up? because British Monarch discriminated him just of being a male prince who married to a queen female?
Seems like if Prince Philip married to a male heir like Camela married to Charles, HRH Prince Philip should have already been a Queen by now?..:ROFLMAO:
chrissy57 said:
Personally I doubt if the British royals will marry a royal from a ruling house for the simple reason that they don't seem to mix all that much with them any more.
You may probably be right again that British Royals don't seem to mix all that much with a royal anymore as they now marry only to commoners all the time. We all can clearly see that it will soon become Common Monarch with too much common. Shall I say Thank God again? :sick:

Bythe way: Thanks for warm welcome, Chrissy. :flowers: Very Much Appreciated.

Last edited:
chrissy57 said:

I am rooting for Queen Beatrix, after she beated Queen Noor for Andrews attentions ,)

Crystal said:
Why did Prince Philip has to give up? because British Monarch discriminated him just of being a male prince who married to a queen female?
Seems like if Prince Philip married to a male heir like Camela married to Charles, HRH Prince Philip should have already been a Queen by now?..:ROFLMAO:

Philip renounced his Greek claims for a number of reasons.

He wanted to be a serving officer in the British Navy and to do that he had to be a naturalised citizen (after the war certainly) and no one had actually realised that he was, in fact, a British citizen from birth - that was ruled on in a later court case brought by a Prince of Hannover.

He also realised that in post-WWII Britian the very idea of the heir to the British throne being married to someone who could claim a foreign throne (he was about 4 or 5th in line to the Greek throne at the time) would have gone against him with the people.

He regarded himself as British to a large extent due to his education and upbringing having been so concentrated in Britain.

He was advised to do so by his uncle Lord Mountbatten (and possibly his maternal grandmother who was living in Kensington Palace at the time).

Philip, as a Prince, couldn't become King of Britain through his marriage to Princess (now Queen) Elizabeth. The precedent had clearly been set with Prince Albert, whom Queen Victoria wanted to be given the title of King Consort, but she was advised, by her government, not to do that and being a constitutional monarch she was bound by that advice. Once that precedent had been set the possibility of Philip being King Consort went out the window.

On the other hand - Camilla should be Queen Consort as she will be (if the normal course of events) the wife of the King and the precedent is that the wife of the King is crowned as Queen.

If Prince Andrew was married, would he be more popular?

Do you think Andrew would get better (and more) press if he had a new Duchess at his side? I know Edward and Sophie don't get a lot of press, but Andrew did when he was younger and when he was married.

Marengo said:
I am rooting for Queen Beatrix, after she beated Queen Noor for Andrews attentions ,)

Well if Andrew wanted to rob the cradle, he could go for Crown Princess Victoria.

Can you imagine the beautiful children they would have?

yvr girl said:
Do you think Andrew would get better (and more) press if he had a new Duchess at his side? I know Edward and Sophie don't get a lot of press, but Andrew did when he was younger and when he was married.
I've often thought this, too. I think you would see more and hear more about him if he were married. I don't necessarily agree, but it seems the media is more prone to focusing on what a royal lady is wearing, her weight and hair style, than the somewhat less glamourours duties of a prince. I think we'd see more photos of Andrew out and about (with his wife). Any news on a serious relationship? He's an attractive, seemingly loyal and intelligent guy (not to mention a royal prince). I'm surprised he's not been linked to (or serious about) someone by now.

I might be wrong -- in fact, I'd bet on it -- :D but my impression has always been that Andrew doesn't "settle down" again because he has always loved just Sarah Ferguson, and this seems to me why he can't be involved with a woman seriously and continues to just "date" or whatever, like "all or nothing" kind of thing, if he can't have her than it's not worth it. I think too much has happened to make a remarriage between those two possible, but it would be really cool if they could somehow get back together. By the same token, however, I appreciate that they seem to do better apart. Their own daughters seem to feel this way. I rememeber something eugenie once said about how life got so much better when they were separated, like they are more "like a family now" since her parents separated than they were as married. It seems like Andrew feels very content with the way things are now: being single and free, so to speak, and having his family just like they are. I cannot picture him taking on a fifth wheel and disrupting a status quo that seems very satisfying to him.

Who is Goga Ashkenazi? She was with Prince Andrew at the ascot?

I think as his daughters get to the point that they are more or less grown he may look for a wife but I agree it's tricky any potential wife for Andrew would want to be certain she is not there just for appearences sake and that he isn't pining for Sarah.I think Sarah has zero interest in returning to the royal fold.

Penny Lane, I think you are right about Sarah not wanting to return to the royal family. I just think he has not really cared deeply for any woman since her, and all these supposed flings he has are just to fill time. I like him being single, though. I think he has a good thing right now with his daughters and Sarah and the status quo. If it ain't broke, why fix it ey?;)
I think this new "socialite" friend of his at Ascot is just that, a new person to laugh and pass time with.

And to keep this post on topic for this thread I thought of another single lady for Andrew. What about Heather Locklear? I think she'd be perfect for him. She's newly single, beautiful, seems intelligent, doesn't blab to the press, seems to conduct herself in a classy way and I think she's about the same age as Andrew. Now if we can just get her to move to England. ;) :D
She's dating Jack Wagner and they seem to be very happy. And good for her! I can't believe she was friends with the dim bulb Denise Richards who stole her husband!
I have a customer who's English and she seems to think that Andrew and Fergie will get back together but not until Her Majesty passes. I thought that interesting. Other than that, I think he's quite enjoying his bachelorhood. He is an Aquarian after all!

I have a customer who's English and she seems to think that Andrew and Fergie will get back together but not until Her Majesty passes.

I harbour a secret yearning for this to be true, but, if it is, they could be waiting a long time!

Jemima Goldsmith Khan?

It seems like Andrew is reverting back to his youth a little--I saw some photos of him partying with two young girls--a blonde one night ,a brunette another. I can't remember where I saw them--Royalty or Hello. Anyway, he looked like he was getting very close to his companions.

I am inclined to agree that Andrew loves Sarah still, and as often as they are together I would not be surprised to learn that there is still something going on. The family as unit functions so well; it amazes me that there is no tension (that we know of).

Janet, they were on the Daily Mail site from his Saint Tropez partying. I agree he has never fallen out of love with Sarah, but I don't imagine Sarah will ever join the royal fold again. He loves her and would have her back in a second (I think) and she might love him too but she wants to be free. The royal restrictions were too much for her, I think.

Well, I'm always available.

Well we won't know how Sarah will act until that time comes. He's got to be tired of waiting at some point. Men always are. They like their comfort and they like to have somebody "there". And if she won't commit or get back into the Royal fold, then he will look elsewhere.
Sarah is human after all. I think it will be very interesting to see what happens.

I agree he has never fallen out of love with Sarah, but I don't imagine Sarah will ever join the royal fold again. He loves her and would have her back in a second (I think) and she might love him too but she wants to be free.

Well said...I agree.

I think QEII and Philip are an obstacle to Andrew and Sarah getting back together. They seem so perfect for each other - even over a decade after they separated!

Imo, Sarah and Andrew had a disaster of a marriage the first time so it would be an indication of things to come if they were to remarry. It's awesome they remain friends and great parents. Sarah has created a social life here in America and around the world. The fact she has not been in the company of a man for very long indicates either a personality problem or a health problem,imo.

Andrew, while without a doubt is a very loving and devoted father and a good friend to Sarah, probably also has the abovementioned inabilities to move forward and create a evolved life with Sarah or another woman in Holy Matrimony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom