The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 12:24 PM
Nobility

I agree. I don't think they had a choice about the divorce, but they were both much younger and stupider then. I think they have always cared deeply for each other and have really made up and ARE together. The fact that they don't share a public life would only be a plus in a royal relationship. It leaves no room for speculation, pressure, gossip and intrusion- well, sort of, if you count us out.

Old 08-10-2006, 09:36 PM
Royal Highness

I don't think youth and mental intelligence had anything to do with Andrew and Sarah's marriage or divorce. They made the "right" decisions at the various times of their relationship. It's always easier to look at some years later and say they should have/could have, etc.

Old 08-11-2006, 02:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by seto
I think it takes two to make a marriage work andrew played his part in the break up. But the fact that they loved and still love and care about each other is really quite nice. I really don't think either of them was ready for marriage and that is why it failed. Neither thought of what they were doing or giving up maybe blinded by love.

I also think that both were adjusted to and lived two different lifestyles that clashed between the two of them--from commanding to less formality--that may have been a thorn in their marriage. But of course only speculation.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:44 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I think it takes two to make a marriage work andrew played his part in the break up.
I'm not so sure about this. Again, we don't know these people personally so it's hard to say but from what's been presented publically it seems Sarah's cheating (and not just once) was the main issue at hand. Who can blame Andrew, though I believe it was more pressure from his family (namely his father) which brought about the divorce than from him. He obviously still has strong feelings for his ex and who's to say that if they weren't royals and if their dirty laundry hadn't been hung out for the world to see they might not have gotten divorced. Many couples work out their problems, even infidelity. Tho it is hard to turn the other cheek when your wife is out gallavanting across the globe with shady social-climbers in toe (sorry) and her indiscretions are splashed across the front pages of various tabloids.

I say Sarah is more at fault here. I think that's how most ppl see it. She knew the sort of family she was marrying into and she knew of Andrew's obligations to his military career as well. She could always have turned down his proposal. To throw these things up after the fact is weak.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:43 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella
I'm not so sure about this. Again, we don't know these people personally so it's hard to say but from what's been presented publically it seems Sarah's cheating (and not just once) was the main issue at hand. Who can blame Andrew, though I believe it was more pressure from his family (namely his father) which brought about the divorce than from him. He obviously still has strong feelings for his ex and who's to say that if they weren't royals and if their dirty laundry hadn't been hung out for the world to see they might not have gotten divorced. Many couples work out their problems, even infidelity. Tho it is hard to turn the other cheek when your wife is out gallavanting across the globe with shady social-climbers in toe (sorry) and her indiscretions are splashed across the front pages of various tabloids.

I say Sarah is more at fault here. I think that's how most ppl see it. She knew the sort of family she was marrying into and she knew of Andrew's obligations to his military career as well. She could always have turned down his proposal. To throw these things up after the fact is weak.
have to agree with you here. as much as i like sarah, she had to know that in her position she'd be alone a lot of the time...simply because she's a military wife. as for the family she married into, she had to know she'd be caught eventually.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:10 PM
Commoner

Bella and Duchess, I agree with you both! Her father was in the military and knew that there would be long seperations. She was friends with Diana before getting involved with Andrew, so she knew the problems Diana was having with the family.

I read the book Maj. Ferguson wrote (Sarah stopped talking to him for close to a year because of it). He stated that he believed Sarah was more in love with the Royal Family them she was with Andrew. He also talkes about the conversation he was in on when Andrew offered the resign from the Navy to be home more for her and she told him to stay in. Per Sarah's own father, Andrew was willing to work on the marriage it was Sarah who was not.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:17 PM
Nobility

Well I think sarah has done a great job of turning her life around and she and andrew obviously love and like each other. Which I think is very good for their daughters to see.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:26 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Well I think sarah has done a great job of turning her life around and she and andrew obviously love and like each other. Which I think is very good for their daughters to see.
Very true. And it does say something for both Andrew and Sarah that they have made the effort to put their daughters first. If only all divorced couples could do this.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:18 PM
Royal Highness

totally agree with you. she has indeed done a great job of turning her life around. she's like any one else...we all have illusions about how married life will be and then we find out how different it is.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:18 PM
Aristocracy

Sarah wasn't happy in the marriage;she was a Navy wife,often left alone for months on end.She received no support from Buckingham Palace.She was often compared to the Princess of Wales and always came up lacking...Sarah was constantly criticized for her weight,her fashion sense,the faces she made while talking animatedly with someone...Then she cheated,more than once;there are also whisperings that the Duke of York had flings.Sarah should have known about being a Navy wife,yes,that's true.And Diana must have warned her about life in the Royal Family.But all of that is past;Sarah has done a good job at raising her daughters;Andrew had been understanding and supportive.Sarah has turned herself into an astute business woman who still has time to serve her charities.
I think that Sarah and Andrew still love each other;it would be great if they could remarry.But,I've heard that the Duke of Edinburgh and Sarah are not on speaking terms so remarriage doesn't seem like an option at this time.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

In her autobiography Sarah says she'd asked to accompany Andrew on his postings and live in Navy housing so they could be together but her request was denied. When Prince Philip was in the Navy, Princess Elizabeth accompanied him for long stretches, even leaving her children behind in England while she was with her husband. It's interesting that although it was OK for the heir to the throne, whose father was not in good health, was allowed to do that but the wife of a younger son was not.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Its also interesting to note that when Elizabeth was with Phillip, her kids (in this case Charles and Anne) were being raised by nannies and Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother. When Andrew and Edwards were born, she made a conscious effort to spend more time with them. Of course, she was more relaxed in her role as Queen. Perhaps, Sarah's request to spend more time with Andrew was denied because of this. Either way...Sarah couldn't win. I remember when they went on a long trip overseas (was it Australia or something) Sarah didn't bring Beatrice along (it was for four to six weeks) and you would have thought she officially abandoned the child they way the press howled.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:44 PM
Aristocracy

Yes,it seemed like Sarah could do nothing right.The Queen left her children with the nannies when she had to go on official trips;but Diana changed things when she insisted that she take William along on the Australian tour.Sarah had stated that she felt the "gray people,"the officials at Buckingham Palace had it in for her;she was advised by palace officials that it would be better for Beatrice to remain in England.She probably would not have been allowed to take Beatrice if she had asked.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:48 PM
Nobility

I just read on the royal news sight that andrew and angie everhart are serious so say friends. Would the royals allow him to marry angie?
Old 08-27-2006, 09:04 PM
Nobility

If Koo Stark didn't cut it for the royal family, I don't think Ms. Everhart would either.

(Check out her wikipedia entry.)

She is rumored to have had an affair with "shock jock" radio personality Howard Stern, and was married "briefly" to Ashley Hamilton, the son of the perpetually tanned George Hamilton and pseduo-stepson (?) of Rod Stewart (Ashley's mom is Alana Stewart).

Don't think it will happen.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:24 PM
Royal Highness

Regardless of Ms Everhart's suitability, I just find it laughable that a 50-something man who doesn't have a real chance of inheriting the crown needs to be "allowed" to marry anyone. And they said the same about his older brother before April 2005.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:26 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Bluffton
If Koo Stark didn't cut it for the royal family, I don't think Ms. Everhart would either.

(Check out her wikipedia entry.)

She is rumored to have had an affair with "shock jock" radio personality Howard Stern, and was married "briefly" to Ashley Hamilton, the son of the perpetually tanned George Hamilton and pseduo-stepson (?) of Rod Stewart (Ashley's mom is Alana Stewart).

Don't think it will happen.
I think Angie Everhart's main obstacle to becoming the next Duchess of York would probably be a few of her B-movies where she appears nude and is involved in 'love' scenes. Her past marriage years ago and her many boyfriends probably isn't enough to sink her but 'Love in Paris' is, unfortunately. I do think it's great that Andrew has seemingly moved on from Sarah, thank goodness. If the BRF can buy up Angie's past compromising photographic positions and keep them out of the public domain, maybe they have a chance. She just might make a great duchcess.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:05 PM
Administrator

He won't marry Angie. That past...I knew her movies would do her in. I am glad he is dating..although I wouldn't be sad to see him remarry Sarah.

If he likes red head..why can't he find a nice quiet girl who has red hair?
Old 08-28-2006, 06:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

bedford lady

Well, Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of E are both elderly. When they die, I would think King Charles would have some sympathy for his brother's position. Also, why would it be a problem for the Anglican church for them to remarry? I would think they would be in favor..'till death do you part and all that. It's not exactly the same as marrying some one that you had been carrying on with. If that's ok, why shouldn't Sarah and Andrew be remarried?
Old 08-29-2006, 06:03 PM
Courtier

Angie Everhart--Prince Andrew's current (rumored) girlfriend

Glamour magazine; Elle magazine

Photo credit: Paramount Pictures
& Sports Illustrated

Tags
duke of york, prince andrew, remarriage