The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #821  
Old 10-19-2010, 05:59 PM
Russophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, United States
Posts: 4,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPretender View Post
I think Sarah has gotten that talk more than once over the last twenty five years. At her age, she should have learned something but she hasn't. Andrew shouldn't have to "mind" her. That's not a marriage, that's parenting.

And Andrew has dated a considerable amount since the divorce, but marriage was not all that great for him: why would he go back into a hellhole like that was, especially knowing now that twenty years on, Sarah is still a child?
Quite right and PA said as much on his birthday earlier this year calling Sarah his "third child".
__________________

__________________
"Not MGM, not the press, not anyone can tell me what to do."--Ava Gardner
  #822  
Old 10-19-2010, 06:20 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Galway, Ireland
Posts: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Quite right and PA said as much on his birthday earlier this year calling Sarah his "third child".
Russo I didn't completely disagree with NAP, we all know that Sarah's behaviour can be childish, I just thought describing their marraige as a "hellhole" was extreme.
__________________

  #823  
Old 10-19-2010, 06:24 PM
Russophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, United States
Posts: 4,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
Russo I didn't completely disagree with NAP, we all know that Sarah's behaviour can be childish, I just thought describing their marraige as a "hellhole" was extreme.
I understood exactly what you meant.
I was referring to NAP's comments. Personally, I think it wasn't any fun for PA after reading the STarkie book where Sarah had a complete meltdown and the book by Lesley Player where Sarah would go off at Andrew at the drop of a hat, and when she was on "tour" Sarah would hole up with a phone with Johnny Bryan, Steve Wyatt and PA so I can't imagine it was all fun and roses--and cold be construed as a hellhole-- for any of them, however, that is just MO.
__________________
"Not MGM, not the press, not anyone can tell me what to do."--Ava Gardner
  #824  
Old 10-19-2010, 06:36 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada, Canada
Posts: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
I understood exactly what you meant.
I was referring to NAP's comments. Personally, I think it wasn't any fun for PA after reading the STarkie book where Sarah had a complete meltdown and the book by Lesley Player where Sarah would go off at Andrew at the drop of a hat, and when she was on "tour" Sarah would hole up with a phone with Johnny Bryan, Steve Wyatt and PA so I can't imagine it was all fun and roses--and cold be construed as a hellhole-- for any of them, however, that is just MO.
But in the interview I posted, which was from 2000--four years after they divorced--Andrew said "we got married and had a wonderful time" and he also said that they were not living together just for the children's benefit, but for their own benefit as well. It is an old interview, but I'd rather believe Andrew's own words than other people's conjectures. I always have a hard time believing that Andrew is really miserable with Sarah, because everything he does and says tells a different story.

Actually, it's interesting to watch this thread. The discussion of a wife for Andrew inevitably goes in one of two directions. People will mention Sarah, and when a moderator steps in and asks for a change of topic, the far-fetched suggestions of various celebrities come rolling in. Most of them (IMO) wouldn't be any more appropriate as a wife than Sarah--they might be more discreet, but I doubt they would be as suited to Andrew's personality. I still say Andrew is happy the way he is, and isn't looking for anyone to replace Sarah.
  #825  
Old 10-19-2010, 06:44 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Galway, Ireland
Posts: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
I understood exactly what you meant.
I was referring to NAP's comments. Personally, I think it wasn't any fun for PA after reading the STarkie book where Sarah had a complete meltdown and the book by Lesley Player where Sarah would go off at Andrew at the drop of a hat, and when she was on "tour" Sarah would hole up with a phone with Johnny Bryan, Steve Wyatt and PA so I can't imagine it was all fun and roses--and cold be construed as a hellhole-- for any of them, however, that is just MO.
OK Russo, I appreciate that. It's hard to know what the future holds because normal divorce rules don't apply to them.
  #826  
Old 10-19-2010, 06:53 PM
Russophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, United States
Posts: 4,071
Well Irish sometimes it's mighty hard to figure out what Russo means. We're talking some SERIOUS ADD/Dyslexia here.

I think PA tried, really tried and even was thinking about giving it a go again at some point, however, I believe he finally threw in the towel by that comment of his earlier this year about Sarah being his third child. And now, he's just standing by her, not as a lover or a husband, but as a parent. Again, this is MO.
Now, onto the make-believe Mr. Rogers land of finding PA a wife!
__________________
"Not MGM, not the press, not anyone can tell me what to do."--Ava Gardner
  #827  
Old 10-19-2010, 07:16 PM
KittyAtlanta's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: KittyLand Junction, United States
Posts: 3,126
Somehow I don't think Ms. Rice and the DoY would be a good match. She likes football, he likes golf (does he play golf or just watch -- she plays golf). He'd probably enjoy listening to Yo Yo Ma play the cello, whereas Ms. Rice would accompany Mr. Ma on the piano. He gives speeches to international audiences, she is well-versed at talking to heads of state. Ms. Rice is a B.A., M.A., Ph.D. and he is a prince. Quick, someone give me a reason why it would work. LOL
  #828  
Old 10-19-2010, 07:50 PM
nascarlucy's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central Florida Area, United States
Posts: 1,416
It's very possible that if Sarah hadn't been caught cheating on him or hadn't cheated on him, they probably still would be married to each other.
  #829  
Old 10-19-2010, 08:09 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 11,329
I think Andrew has forgiven the cheating, recognizing that his absence might have played a part. Thats big of him IMO and the topic of another discussion.

I have always had attitdue that if Andrew has forgiven Sarah for her transgressions, then who am I to hold it against her? Plus she has always been a favorite until this summer ---- the latest fiasco was just too much IMO.

That being said, I do think that Andrew might have made Sarah as the non negotiable person in his life prior to this summer's activities. Common law wife with all the benefits without the title (kind of like Camilla before the marriage) and the restrictions that are a part of the HRH life. Now I am not so sure if he will go that way.

One thing for sure, if they ever get remarried it won't happen while the Queen or the DoE are alive.
__________________
.

  #830  
Old 10-19-2010, 08:32 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Galway, Ireland
Posts: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I think Andrew has forgiven the cheating, recognizing that his absence might have played a part. Thats big of him IMO and the topic of another discussion.

I have always had attitdue that if Andrew has forgiven Sarah for her transgressions, then who am I to hold it against her? Plus she has always been a favorite until this summer ---- the latest fiasco was just too much IMO.

That being said, I do think that Andrew might have made Sarah as the non negotiable person in his life prior to this summer's activities. Common law wife with all the benefits without the title (kind of like Camilla before the marriage) and the restrictions that are a part of the HRH life. Now I am not so sure if he will go that way.

One thing for sure, if they ever get remarried it won't happen while the Queen or the DoE are alive.
I agree with you Zonk and you express your thoughts prefectly.
This summer was very bad for sure, but as the months have passed I'm beginning to think he might have genuinely forgiven Sarah again, rather than just keeping up appearances or feeling a sense of duty.
Sarah's next comments or interview on the matter will be very interesting, she was still in the eye of a storm when she did Oprah, it would be more revealing to hear what she has to say now about how it has affected her relationship with PA (either things aren't the same or they are pulling together as a family).
  #831  
Old 10-19-2010, 10:13 PM
HRH Princess Sonya's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Fort Worth, United States
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Well Irish sometimes it's mighty hard to figure out what Russo means. We're talking some SERIOUS ADD/Dyslexia here.

I think PA tried, really tried and even was thinking about giving it a go again at some point, however, I believe he finally threw in the towel by that comment of his earlier this year about Sarah being his third child. And now, he's just standing by her, not as a lover or a husband, but as a parent. Again, this is MO.
Now, onto the make-believe Mr. Rogers land of finding PA a wife!
I think the poor man has simply had it. I think he has given and given and he may be simply worn out.
  #832  
Old 10-20-2010, 12:36 AM
nascarlucy's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central Florida Area, United States
Posts: 1,416
Zonk: If that's the case (If PA remarries Sarah, it will not be while the Queen or DOe is alive), then he has a very long wait as the Queen will probably live well into her 90's and perhaps longer.
  #833  
Old 10-20-2010, 02:08 PM
Russophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, United States
Posts: 4,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Princess Sonya View Post
I think the poor man has simply had it. I think he has given and given and he may be simply worn out.
That makes sense. The ex idiot did that to Russo. The man simply CREATED drama born out of his insecurities. Russo just got to a point where she was worn out. Not unlike PA I would imagine.
__________________
"Not MGM, not the press, not anyone can tell me what to do."--Ava Gardner
  #834  
Old 10-20-2010, 02:19 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 11,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
Zonk: If that's the case (If PA remarries Sarah, it will not be while the Queen or DOe is alive), then he has a very long wait as the Queen will probably live well into her 90's and perhaps longer.
Not really. The Queen is already 80, the DoE is what 85? Yes, the Queen Mother loved to be a 100....doesn't mean that the Queen will or that Andrew will. And I am not wishing an early death on the Queen, the DoE, Andrew, etc.

My grandmother lived to be 83 and my sister 38....True they have the best doctors and medicine that money can buy, Unless we have a crystal ball, tomorrow is not promised.
__________________
.

  #835  
Old 10-20-2010, 03:04 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada, Canada
Posts: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Not really. The Queen is already 80, the DoE is what 85? Yes, the Queen Mother loved to be a 100....doesn't mean that the Queen will or that Andrew will. And I am not wishing an early death on the Queen, the DoE, Andrew, etc.
The Queen is actually 84, and the Duke of Edinburgh will be 90 next June. They aren't young!

If Andrew really wanted to remarry Sarah, in the greater scheme of things, waiting another 15 years or so might not bother him. It's already been over 18 years since their separation.
  #836  
Old 10-20-2010, 05:17 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 203
I remember hearing PA say in a televised interview around the time of his 50th birthday (I think it was the one with Frost), when he was asked about remarriage to Sarah - replied no, that they were both in a better place now. Whatever that means!
  #837  
Old 10-21-2010, 06:49 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakieanne View Post
I remember hearing PA say in a televised interview around the time of his 50th birthday (I think it was the one with Frost), when he was asked about remarriage to Sarah - replied no, that they were both in a better place now. Whatever that means!
I really do not think they will marry, but the current arrangement of cohabiting will continue. Are they a couple? Difficult to tell, IMO.
  #838  
Old 11-08-2010, 10:26 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada, Canada
Posts: 1,062
I came across this on a blog by a man who says he's happily married. It made me think of the discussion over the criteria for "a wife for Andrew".

Quote:
"As a man I canít imagine a compensating factor for marrying a woman who doesnít love you. A man would be better off marrying a 6 who loved him than a 9 who didnít. Not a realistic scenario but I think it makes the point."
I thought that was very interesting. As a man, he'd rather be with a "lower" status woman who loved him, than a very attractive woman who did not love him. This supports my belief that Andrew sticks with Sarah because he knows she loves him. I suppose this also relates to other royal marriages, such as Charles' and Camilla's and William and Kate's (possible) future marriage. We sometimes wonder why princes don't marry the "cream of the crop"--ie. successful businesswomen, models, politicians, etc. I think it's because they've never found someone in that group of women who definitely loves them for who they are.
  #839  
Old 02-22-2011, 07:02 AM
Catherine Helvin's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: St Helens, United Kingdom
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Margaret View Post
I think that Andrew and Sarah should remarry but I think it will only be allowed under these circumstances:

First of all I don't think it would be allowed while the Queen is still living. Charles will have to be King in order for it to happen. The Queen still has issues with Sarah and I am sure she would not want Andrew and Sarah to remarry while she is on the throne. Especially after the last disaster with the issue of her finances and betraying Andrew.

Second, Andrew was in the Navy before and away for long periods of time. That would not be the case now. He would be with Sarah constantly and they would act as a team. I am guessing that if they were to marry, an official at the palace would sit Sarah down and tell her the rules of the game, how she was to behave, what to do and not to do, etc. And Andrew would be there to also watch her behavior. I would think that on many of their first engagements, she would not go on any alone and he would lead many of them. They would keep her on a tight reign and watch her very closely. If she behaved, she would be given certain privileges, like doing solo engagements, etc.

Third, Andrew had not dated very much since the divorce and seeing his siblings married must make him wish for a complete family of his own. Surely by now he must have had lots of opportunities to meet and marry someone that he liked, but he has held off for some reason. I feel that he his holding out to have another chance with Sarah. And perhaps Sarah is holding out to have another chance with him as well.

Fourth, Charles understands better than anyone what it is like to marry someone that perhaps the public might not approve of. I think that he would eventually approve of Andrew and Sarah remarrying under the right circumstances, seeing that the crown will someday go to William and to his children. Andrew will continue to help support the family but will never rule in his own right. Once Charles is King, attention will be diverted away from Andrew and more onto William so there will be less pressure to always be doing the right thing. You just never know what may happen next.
Some very good points here, Lady Margaret. I also think that had they not been royal, they'd almost certainly still be married to each other.
__________________
Princess Diana, the best Queen this country never had
  #840  
Old 02-22-2011, 08:45 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 3,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Margaret View Post

Third, Andrew had not dated very much since the divorce and seeing his siblings married must make him wish for a complete family of his own. Surely by now he must have had lots of opportunities to meet and marry someone that he liked, but he has held off for some reason. I feel that he his holding out to have another chance with Sarah. And perhaps Sarah is holding out to have another chance with him as well.

From what I have read, Andrew has dated a great many women since the divorce! (Over 50 was the count I read). I heard that he's often out in the London clubs as well.

It's true that he hasn't formed a lasting relationship, but one reason may be that he was burned so badly the first time (let's face it, Sarah made him a laughingstock in front of the whole world) that he's simply unwilling to risk it.

I think the best thing he could do for himself is sever all contact with her, have her move out, and let it be known that he will not be responsible for her debts. As long as he allows it, she will cling to him and rely on him to bail her out.

I realize she is the mother of his children, but those children are adults now and he should concentrate on his own life.
__________________

Closed Thread

Tags
duke of york, prince andrew, remarriage


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prince Andrew, Duke of York: Old News and Photos corazon The Duke of York, Sarah Duchess of York, and Family 51 10-14-2016 09:58 PM
Prince Andrew, Duke of York Current Events 5: November 2009-June 2010 Zonk Current Events Archive 661 07-03-2011 12:10 AM
Prince Andrew, Duke of York Current Events 2: May 2006-March 2007 Warren Current Events Archive 198 03-10-2007 05:13 AM
Prince Andrew, Duke of York Current Events 1: February 2002-May 2006 Josefine Current Events Archive 258 05-26-2006 09:40 AM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events danish calendar duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece hereditary grand duchess stťphanie's fashion & style ingrid alexandra kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy movies new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania casual outfit royal fashion september 2016 sheikha moza state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:45 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises