A Wife for Prince Andrew, Duke of York

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know anything about the Duke and Duchess of York other then that they were married and something about toe sucking pictures i'm assuming she cheated on Prince Andrew. If they think they might want to get back together, then I think they should go for it, anything is possible. They must still get along to some extent if they are still practically living together, and how many people who are divorced would do that?

I don't know anything about the Duke and Duchess of York other then that they were married and something about toe sucking pictures i'm assuming she cheated on Prince Andrew. If they think they might want to get back together, then I think they should go for it, anything is possible. They must still get along to some extent if they are still practically living together, and how many people who are divorced would do that?

Your correct that not a lot of people live together after being divorced, however not many people divorce the fourth in line to the throne, and happen to have two children with him. ;)

You never learn anything the second time you get kicked by a horse. Andrew appears to have learned from the first.

I think that Andrew and Sarah should remarry but I think it will only be allowed under these circumstances:

First of all I don't think it would be allowed while the Queen is still living. Charles will have to be King in order for it to happen. The Queen still has issues with Sarah and I am sure she would not want Andrew and Sarah to remarry while she is on the throne. Especially after the last disaster with the issue of her finances and betraying Andrew.

Second, Andrew was in the Navy before and away for long periods of time. That would not be the case now. He would be with Sarah constantly and they would act as a team. I am guessing that if they were to marry, an official at the palace would sit Sarah down and tell her the rules of the game, how she was to behave, what to do and not to do, etc. And Andrew would be there to also watch her behavior. I would think that on many of their first engagements, she would not go on any alone and he would lead many of them. They would keep her on a tight reign and watch her very closely. If she behaved, she would be given certain privileges, like doing solo engagements, etc.

Third, Andrew had not dated very much since the divorce and seeing his siblings married must make him wish for a complete family of his own. Surely by now he must have had lots of opportunities to meet and marry someone that he liked, but he has held off for some reason. I feel that he his holding out to have another chance with Sarah. And perhaps Sarah is holding out to have another chance with him as well.

Fourth, Charles understands better than anyone what it is like to marry someone that perhaps the public might not approve of. I think that he would eventually approve of Andrew and Sarah remarrying under the right circumstances, seeing that the crown will someday go to William and to his children. Andrew will continue to help support the family but will never rule in his own right. Once Charles is King, attention will be diverted away from Andrew and more onto William so there will be less pressure to always be doing the right thing. You just never know what may happen next.

Second, Andrew was in the Navy before and away for long periods of time. That would not be the case now. He would be with Sarah constantly and they would act as a team..

I don't think King Charles would appoint Sarah to act as a second UK Special Representative for International Trade and Investment. According to the Duke's website, he undertook 757 engagements (year starting April 1, 2009 and ending March 31st, 2010) in the UK and abroad. He spent 76 days working abroad in 23 countries. Sounds still like a lot of alone time to me.

I am guessing that if they were to marry, an official at the palace would sit Sarah down and tell her the rules of the game, how she was to behave, what to do and not to do, etc. And Andrew would be there to also watch her behavior. I would think that on many of their first engagements, she would not go on any alone and he would lead many of them. They would keep her on a tight reign and watch her very closely. If she behaved, she would be given certain privileges, like doing solo engagements, etc.

Third, Andrew had not dated very much since the divorce ....

I think Sarah has gotten that talk more than once over the last twenty five years. At her age, she should have learned something but she hasn't. Andrew shouldn't have to "mind" her. That's not a marriage, that's parenting.

And Andrew has dated a considerable amount since the divorce, but marriage was not all that great for him: why would he go back into a hellhole like that was, especially knowing now that twenty years on, Sarah is still a child?

And Andrew has dated a considerable amount since the divorce, but marriage was not all that great for him: why would he go back into a hellhole like that was, especially knowing now that twenty years on, Sarah is still a child?

I was reminded of this interview that Andrew gave in 2000. He says "we got married and had a wonderful time, but it did not work out for whatever reason."
Andrew hints at a royal remarriage | UK news | The Guardian

So while Andrew and Sarah's marriage did not work out, I don't think Andrew would describe it as "a hellhole."

I think Sarah has gotten that talk more than once over the last twenty five years. At her age, she should have learned something but she hasn't. Andrew shouldn't have to "mind" her. That's not a marriage, that's parenting.

I fully appreciate your thoughts and opinions NAP, and while I do agree with some of what you say I really don't think Andrew considers or would ever describe his marriage as a hellhole. We all know how it ended (lets not drag everything up again) but it can't have been all bad. They must have had some very happy times to remain the close friends they still are today.

I agree IrishEyes.

There is such a thing as being civil for the children sake but I don't think I have every witnessed such a divorce. Maybe Bruce and Demi, they do things with their kids....but they both remarried and both 2nd spouses go along.

Quite right and PA said as much on his birthday earlier this year calling Sarah his "third child".

Quite right and PA said as much on his birthday earlier this year calling Sarah his "third child".

Russo I didn't completely disagree with NAP, we all know that Sarah's behaviour can be childish, I just thought describing their marraige as a "hellhole" was extreme.

Russo I didn't completely disagree with NAP, we all know that Sarah's behaviour can be childish, I just thought describing their marraige as a "hellhole" was extreme.
I understood exactly what you meant.
I was referring to NAP's comments. Personally, I think it wasn't any fun for PA after reading the STarkie book where Sarah had a complete meltdown and the book by Lesley Player where Sarah would go off at Andrew at the drop of a hat, and when she was on "tour" Sarah would hole up with a phone with Johnny Bryan, Steve Wyatt and PA so I can't imagine it was all fun and roses--and cold be construed as a hellhole-- for any of them, however, that is just MO.

I was referring to NAP's comments. Personally, I think it wasn't any fun for PA after reading the STarkie book where Sarah had a complete meltdown and the book by Lesley Player where Sarah would go off at Andrew at the drop of a hat, and when she was on "tour" Sarah would hole up with a phone with Johnny Bryan, Steve Wyatt and PA so I can't imagine it was all fun and roses--and cold be construed as a hellhole-- for any of them, however, that is just MO.

But in the interview I posted, which was from 2000--four years after they divorced--Andrew said "we got married and had a wonderful time" and he also said that they were not living together just for the children's benefit, but for their own benefit as well. It is an old interview, but I'd rather believe Andrew's own words than other people's conjectures. I always have a hard time believing that Andrew is really miserable with Sarah, because everything he does and says tells a different story.

Actually, it's interesting to watch this thread. The discussion of a wife for Andrew inevitably goes in one of two directions. People will mention Sarah, and when a moderator steps in and asks for a change of topic, the far-fetched suggestions of various celebrities come rolling in. Most of them (IMO) wouldn't be any more appropriate as a wife than Sarah--they might be more discreet, but I doubt they would be as suited to Andrew's personality. I still say Andrew is happy the way he is, and isn't looking for anyone to replace Sarah.

OK Russo, I appreciate that. It's hard to know what the future holds because normal divorce rules don't apply to them.

Well Irish sometimes it's mighty hard to figure out what Russo means. We're talking some SERIOUS ADD/Dyslexia here. :D

I think PA tried, really tried and even was thinking about giving it a go again at some point, however, I believe he finally threw in the towel by that comment of his earlier this year about Sarah being his third child. And now, he's just standing by her, not as a lover or a husband, but as a parent. Again, this is MO.
Now, onto the make-believe Mr. Rogers land of finding PA a wife! :D

Somehow I don't think Ms. Rice and the DoY would be a good match. She likes football, he likes golf (does he play golf or just watch -- she plays golf). He'd probably enjoy listening to Yo Yo Ma play the cello, whereas Ms. Rice would accompany Mr. Ma on the piano. He gives speeches to international audiences, she is well-versed at talking to heads of state. Ms. Rice is a B.A., M.A., Ph.D. and he is a prince. Quick, someone give me a reason why it would work. LOL

It's very possible that if Sarah hadn't been caught cheating on him or hadn't cheated on him, they probably still would be married to each other.

I think Andrew has forgiven the cheating, recognizing that his absence might have played a part. Thats big of him IMO and the topic of another discussion.

I have always had attitdue that if Andrew has forgiven Sarah for her transgressions, then who am I to hold it against her? Plus she has always been a favorite until this summer ---- the latest fiasco was just too much IMO.

That being said, I do think that Andrew might have made Sarah as the non negotiable person in his life prior to this summer's activities. Common law wife with all the benefits without the title (kind of like Camilla before the marriage) and the restrictions that are a part of the HRH life. Now I am not so sure if he will go that way.

One thing for sure, if they ever get remarried it won't happen while the Queen or the DoE are alive.

I think Andrew has forgiven the cheating, recognizing that his absence might have played a part. Thats big of him IMO and the topic of another discussion.

I have always had attitdue that if Andrew has forgiven Sarah for her transgressions, then who am I to hold it against her? Plus she has always been a favorite until this summer ---- the latest fiasco was just too much IMO.

That being said, I do think that Andrew might have made Sarah as the non negotiable person in his life prior to this summer's activities. Common law wife with all the benefits without the title (kind of like Camilla before the marriage) and the restrictions that are a part of the HRH life. Now I am not so sure if he will go that way.

One thing for sure, if they ever get remarried it won't happen while the Queen or the DoE are alive.

I agree with you Zonk and you express your thoughts prefectly.
This summer was very bad for sure, but as the months have passed I'm beginning to think he might have genuinely forgiven Sarah again, rather than just keeping up appearances or feeling a sense of duty.
Sarah's next comments or interview on the matter will be very interesting, she was still in the eye of a storm when she did Oprah, it would be more revealing to hear what she has to say now about how it has affected her relationship with PA (either things aren't the same or they are pulling together as a family).

Well Irish sometimes it's mighty hard to figure out what Russo means. We're talking some SERIOUS ADD/Dyslexia here. :D

I think PA tried, really tried and even was thinking about giving it a go again at some point, however, I believe he finally threw in the towel by that comment of his earlier this year about Sarah being his third child. And now, he's just standing by her, not as a lover or a husband, but as a parent. Again, this is MO.
Now, onto the make-believe Mr. Rogers land of finding PA a wife! :D

I think the poor man has simply had it. I think he has given and given and he may be simply worn out.

Zonk: If that's the case (If PA remarries Sarah, it will not be while the Queen or DOe is alive), then he has a very long wait as the Queen will probably live well into her 90's and perhaps longer.

I think the poor man has simply had it. I think he has given and given and he may be simply worn out.
That makes sense. The ex idiot did that to Russo. The man simply CREATED drama born out of his insecurities. Russo just got to a point where she was worn out. Not unlike PA I would imagine.

Zonk: If that's the case (If PA remarries Sarah, it will not be while the Queen or DOe is alive), then he has a very long wait as the Queen will probably live well into her 90's and perhaps longer.

Not really. The Queen is already 80, the DoE is what 85? Yes, the Queen Mother loved to be a 100....doesn't mean that the Queen will or that Andrew will. And I am not wishing an early death on the Queen, the DoE, Andrew, etc.

My grandmother lived to be 83 and my sister 38....True they have the best doctors and medicine that money can buy, Unless we have a crystal ball, tomorrow is not promised.

Not really. The Queen is already 80, the DoE is what 85? Yes, the Queen Mother loved to be a 100....doesn't mean that the Queen will or that Andrew will. And I am not wishing an early death on the Queen, the DoE, Andrew, etc.

The Queen is actually 84, and the Duke of Edinburgh will be 90 next June. They aren't young!

If Andrew really wanted to remarry Sarah, in the greater scheme of things, waiting another 15 years or so might not bother him. It's already been over 18 years since their separation.

I remember hearing PA say in a televised interview around the time of his 50th birthday (I think it was the one with Frost), when he was asked about remarriage to Sarah - replied no, that they were both in a better place now. Whatever that means!

I remember hearing PA say in a televised interview around the time of his 50th birthday (I think it was the one with Frost), when he was asked about remarriage to Sarah - replied no, that they were both in a better place now. Whatever that means!

I really do not think they will marry, but the current arrangement of cohabiting will continue. Are they a couple? Difficult to tell, IMO.

I came across this on a blog by a man who says he's happily married. It made me think of the discussion over the criteria for "a wife for Andrew".

"As a man I can’t imagine a compensating factor for marrying a woman who doesn’t love you. A man would be better off marrying a 6 who loved him than a 9 who didn’t. Not a realistic scenario but I think it makes the point."

I thought that was very interesting. As a man, he'd rather be with a "lower" status woman who loved him, than a very attractive woman who did not love him. This supports my belief that Andrew sticks with Sarah because he knows she loves him. I suppose this also relates to other royal marriages, such as Charles' and Camilla's and William and Kate's (possible) future marriage. We sometimes wonder why princes don't marry the "cream of the crop"--ie. successful businesswomen, models, politicians, ;) etc. I think it's because they've never found someone in that group of women who definitely loves them for who they are.

I think that Andrew and Sarah should remarry but I think it will only be allowed under these circumstances:

First of all I don't think it would be allowed while the Queen is still living. Charles will have to be King in order for it to happen. The Queen still has issues with Sarah and I am sure she would not want Andrew and Sarah to remarry while she is on the throne. Especially after the last disaster with the issue of her finances and betraying Andrew.

Second, Andrew was in the Navy before and away for long periods of time. That would not be the case now. He would be with Sarah constantly and they would act as a team. I am guessing that if they were to marry, an official at the palace would sit Sarah down and tell her the rules of the game, how she was to behave, what to do and not to do, etc. And Andrew would be there to also watch her behavior. I would think that on many of their first engagements, she would not go on any alone and he would lead many of them. They would keep her on a tight reign and watch her very closely. If she behaved, she would be given certain privileges, like doing solo engagements, etc.

Third, Andrew had not dated very much since the divorce and seeing his siblings married must make him wish for a complete family of his own. Surely by now he must have had lots of opportunities to meet and marry someone that he liked, but he has held off for some reason. I feel that he his holding out to have another chance with Sarah. And perhaps Sarah is holding out to have another chance with him as well.

Fourth, Charles understands better than anyone what it is like to marry someone that perhaps the public might not approve of. I think that he would eventually approve of Andrew and Sarah remarrying under the right circumstances, seeing that the crown will someday go to William and to his children. Andrew will continue to help support the family but will never rule in his own right. Once Charles is King, attention will be diverted away from Andrew and more onto William so there will be less pressure to always be doing the right thing. You just never know what may happen next.

Some very good points here, Lady Margaret. I also think that had they not been royal, they'd almost certainly still be married to each other.

From what I have read, Andrew has dated a great many women since the divorce! (Over 50 was the count I read). I heard that he's often out in the London clubs as well.

It's true that he hasn't formed a lasting relationship, but one reason may be that he was burned so badly the first time (let's face it, Sarah made him a laughingstock in front of the whole world) that he's simply unwilling to risk it.

I think the best thing he could do for himself is sever all contact with her, have her move out, and let it be known that he will not be responsible for her debts. As long as he allows it, she will cling to him and rely on him to bail her out.

I realize she is the mother of his children, but those children are adults now and he should concentrate on his own life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom