The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 03:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I have a nagging feeling that neither will ever re-marry (other people). I simply cannot see it happening. Andrew and Sarah could both have moved on and had second families by now so either they're still in love with eachother or no one in their right mind will commit to them. It's ironic that Andrew is vaguely the most attractive of the four siblings yet is the only one un-married - he reminds me of Prince Albert of Monaco in someways.
This is funny and I tend to agree. Esp. about Sarah. Tho I'm sure (dare I say it) that P Andrew has his own relationship issues as well. Maybe this is why is seems to be throwing himself into his work; to keep loneliness at bay.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:12 PM
Majesty

Sarah would be the ever-present ex-wife, and Andrew would be the husband talking about how wonderful his ex-wife is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
This is funny and I tend to agree. Esp. about Sarah. Tho I'm sure (dare I say it) that P Andrew has his own relationship issues as well. Maybe this is why is seems to be throwing himself into his work; to keep loneliness at bay.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Sarah would be the ever-present ex-wife, and Andrew would be the husband talking about how wonderful his ex-wife is.
I can't imagine talking about my ex in dulcet tones and vice versa. He'll probably cheese me off and then that leg would go FLYING!!!
I was interested in that gal Andrew was seeing, she seemed nice enough, the business woman nobody knew about.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Royal Highness

While she was married to Prince Andrew, Sarah's full style was:
Her Royal Highness, The Princess Andrew Albert Christian Edward, Duchess of York, Countess of Inverness and Baroness Killyleagh

When they divorced, she became "Sarah, Duchess of York". She lost the HRH and the "The" which is very important. If Andrew were to remarry, his new wife would be HRH The Duchess of York. I know there is a post somewhere in the Sarah threads that explains all of this, but I'm not quite sure where it is.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 01-05-2009, 11:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Janet, I thought to be accorded the "The Princess" one had to be the daughter of a monarch, not married into the family? For example The Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon or The Princess Royal? It's quite possible I'm having a senior moment though...
Old 01-06-2009, 12:17 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Janet, I thought to be accorded the "The Princess" one had to be the daughter of a monarch, not married into the family? For example The Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon or The Princess Royal? It's quite possible I'm having a senior moment though...
No senior moment, Scooter! You're completely right. I didn't say that Srah became Princess Sarah because she never became Princess Sarah, just as Diana was never actually Princess Diana style wise. They both carried the styles of their husbands--Sarah was officically HRH The Princess Andrew Albert Christian Edward etc... and Diana was officially known as
Her Royal Highness The Princess Charles Philip Arthur George, Princess of Wales and Countess of Chester, Duchess of Cornwall, Duchess of Rothesay, Countess of Carrick, Baroness of Renfrew, Lady of the Isles, Princess of Scotland
but neither of them were ever actual Princesses becaue they were not Princesses of the blood. You have to remember, when a woman marries she automatically carries the feminine version of her husband's style. This is one of the key elements in the discussion about Camilla's future title when Charles ascends the throne.

Again Sarah's full style when married was Her Royal Highness, The Princess Andrew Albert Christian Edward, Duchess of York, Countess of Inverness and Baroness Killyleagh but she was known as HRH The Duchess of York. When they divorced she lost the HRH and the "The" and became "Sarah, Duchess of York" in much the same way that Diana lost her official styles and became "Diana, Princess of Wales" rather than "HRH The Princess of Wales".
In short, neither the HRH nor the "The" was no longer applicable to them because if Andrew or Charles were to remarry the "HRH" and the "The" denote a royal style/title and their new wives would have posession of the important aspects (HRH and the "The") of their husbands' styles.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 01-06-2009, 01:15 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Janet, I thought to be accorded the "The Princess" one had to be the daughter of a monarch, not married into the family?
I'm pretty sure wives of sons of the monarch get to use the "the" too. I'll have to do some searching about that, though.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
I'm pretty sure wives of sons of the monarch get to use the "the" too. I'll have to do some searching about that, though.
'

Not really as they aren't princesses in their own right.

e.g. None of Diana, Sarah, Sophie nor Camilla are/were Princess Diana, Princess Sarah, Princess Sophie or Princess Camilla in their own right.

They only take the feminine form of their husband's title and do NOT gain a title for themselves.

Hence when divorced both Diana and Sarah lost the titles/styles that they gained when they married. What had been their titles became effectively their surnames.

Thus Diana was never The Princess Diana as she was never Princess Diana so the 'The' was never applicable.

The only way they have a 'The Princess' is if using the feminine of thier husband's names - hence The Princess Charles, The Princess Andrew, The Princess Edward. Had Charles, Andrew or Edward not had, or been given, additional titles at their marriage then that is how their wives would have been known. (Diana and Camilla as The Princess Charles, Sarah as The Princess Andrew and Sophie as The Princess Edward). They would have the 'The' as the wife of the son of the monarch but not in their own right.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:41 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
e.g. None of Diana, Sarah, Sophie nor Camilla are/were Princess Diana, Princess Sarah, Princess Sophie or Princess Camilla in their own right.
I thought scooter was asking about the "the" in front of "Princess Andrew."
Old 01-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Gentry

I can't see either Andrew or Sarah remarrying, either. They seem to not really be together, yet not really apart. For some reason, I think this seems to suit them both.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
While she was married to Prince Andrew, Sarah's full style was:
Her Royal Highness, The Princess Andrew Albert Christian Edward, Duchess of York, Countess of Inverness and Baroness Killyleagh

When they divorced, she became "Sarah, Duchess of York". She lost the HRH and the "The" which is very important. If Andrew were to remarry, his new wife would be HRH The Duchess of York. I know there is a post somewhere in the Sarah threads that explains all of this, but I'm not quite sure where it is.
Yes, I was. New wife (or old for that matter) would not be 'The' Princess X, unless of course, she happened to be the daughter of a monarch, right?
Old 01-06-2009, 02:18 PM
Serene Highness

She was The Princess Andrew, taking the female form of his titles and style. The all import "The" was a reference to Andrew's title, not her own.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Yes, I was. New wife (or old for that matter) would not be 'The' Princess X, unless of course, she happened to be the daughter of a monarch, right?
Sort of. The New Wife (or the Retread) would be HRH The Princess Andrew, under all circumstances.

Let's say Andrew married Madeline of Sweden. She would be HRH The Princess Madeline, The Princess Andrew, etc. etc.

But if he married, say, Chelsea Clinton, her title would be HRH The Princess Andrew etc etc, but never The Princess Chelsea, etc etc.

At this point, the only way I see Andrew as remarrying is if Sarah died or remarried first; I can see where any potential wife would shy away from the third-wheel aspect of marrying all the Yorks, present and past, not just The Duke of York. I understand civility in divorce, especially if there are children; my first marriage dissolved and was annulled, and my former husband and I even invited each other to our subsequent weddings. (I hasten to add that we each met our future partners years after the dissolution, literally in other states; I know that isn't the case in several recent Royal marriages ) But I think Sarah and Andrew take this to a whole different level...it's not civility, it's something else entirely.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:48 PM
Commoner

I would support a marriage between them. I rather like Sarah.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:05 PM
Courtier

Andrew is having his cake and eating it, too --- dating lots of beautiful women with no strings attached - a great bachelor life - why remarry?
As for Sarah - remarry and lose what royal title she has left and become a plain "Mrs."?
Her Duchess of York title (such as it is) is her meal ticket and entree in the high life and it certainly helps with her charity work - keeps her high profile. Remarriage? Never!
Old 01-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamk View Post
Andrew is having his cake and eating it, too --- dating lots of beautiful women with no strings attached - a great bachelor life - why remarry?
As for Sarah - remarry and lose what royal title she has left and become a plain "Mrs."?
Her Duchess of York title (such as it is) is her meal ticket and entree in the high life and it certainly helps with her charity work - keeps her high profile. Remarriage? Never!
I think you're absolutely right with this, pamk. Esp. regarding Sarah and her title. I was going to say that P Andrew might marry again if he ever feel madly in love, but then I stopped myself 'cuz I don't know if he's really capable of falling in love. I don't know if any of HM's children are. Seems to me they all have relationship issues. Even Charles. I don't doubt he loves Camilla but being madly in love?? I think it's more along the lines of a good fit and of course she's always been supportive of him. I tend to think that's how it is w all of them. I dunno . . . I tend to think these royal marriages are more for convenience, producing heirs and a 'we-get-along-well-and-he/she-will-do' type of thing. I think HM was madly in love w Philip when they wed but after that, her children - unfortunately - not so much.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:31 AM
Courtier

If Prince Andrew remarries it'll be very confusing having two Duchesses of York
Old 01-12-2009, 05:42 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
I think HM was madly in love w Philip when they wed but after that, her children - unfortunately - not so much.
I think they, like the rest of society today, all started out with the best of intentions and a belief that they were "in love". Just like a very large proportion of the population, it didn't stand the test of time.

The days of dynastic marriages are well behind us thank heavens.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Commoner

Quote:
I tend to think these royal marriages are more for convenience, producing heirs and a 'we-get-along-well-and-he/she-will-do' type of thing.
Me too. It's like "we're good friends, we can talk to one another, it's my duty to marry, so lets get hitch". Probably not along those lines but... you know.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:34 PM
Majesty

Andrew and Sarah seemed to be really "hot for each other", I remember. There were stories about them canoodling in a gift shop while on their first tour here in Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marino01 View Post
Me too. It's like "we're good friends, we can talk to one another, it's my duty to marry, so lets get hitch". Probably not along those lines but... you know.

Closed Thread

Tags
duke of york, prince andrew, remarriage