The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-11-2018, 04:44 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

This might sound like a bit of a fashion-ignorant question, but is Hartnell's couture house still designing dresses? I don't think a royal has worn one of his gowns in a long time.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 02-11-2018, 04:55 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
is Hartnell's couture house still designing dresses?
No it isn't, altho' Houseware's are sold under his name, which is 'owned' by Fung Capital, the private investment holding company of the Fung family

Old 02-11-2018, 05:40 PM
Majesty

I'd love to see her wearing her grandmother's fringe tiara and . . . her train. What a waste to have such a thing of beauty mouldering away on display. I think it should be treated like a heritage veil.

However, I believe she will wear her mother's tiara.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I'd love to see her wearing her grandmother's fringe tiara and . . . her train. What a waste to have such a thing of beauty mouldering away on display. I think it should be treated like a heritage veil.

However, I believe she will wear her mother's tiara.

Oh if only Marg. As you say, that veil deserves to be not only seen, but used & used in a manner like the Danes do w/Queen Ingrid's (IIRC) veil. Crown Princess Victoria also wore an Heirloom Veil, didn't she?

It is a shame.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:30 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
Oh if only Marg. As you say, that veil deserves to be not only seen, but used & used in a manner like the Danes do w/Queen Ingrid's (IIRC) veil. Crown Princess Victoria also wore an Heirloom Veil, didn't she?

It is a shame.
Yes Victoria wore the Queen Sofia lace veil as it is called. Queen Sofia, wife of Oscar II seemed to have left it to her son Eugen. Eugen gave the veil to Princess Sibylla to wear, his great-nephew's bride. Silvia and three of her sister in laws wore it on their wedding day, and now Victoria. Hopefully Estelle will wear it one day as it has been worn by 2 queen consorts, as well as a third who was intended to be queen consort (Sibylla). The Belgians also have a heirloom veil, though it is from Paola's family. It is Belgian lace even if from the Italian family. It was worn by Paola's grandmother, mother, Paola, Astrid, Mathilde and Claire. Infanta Cristina also wore an heirloom. Her veil was made for Queen Maria Christina (wife of Alfonso XII) and then Victoria Eugenie wore it at her wedding. It was bought by the National museum, but it was leant out to Cristina for her wedding.

But unfortunately I don't see them taking Elizabeth's veil or train suddenly out of display to be used again. As lovely as they are.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:33 PM
Majesty

Do we know if Sarah's veil (and her dress for that matter) are on display or does she have them?

LaRae
Old 02-14-2018, 03:09 AM
Majesty

Actually, I don't know any other royals that have a train like HM had, her veil seems to be sort of bunched at each side. I don't know if it was a single net layer across the back or if it was split but that Train is magnificent and unique and would compliment almost any wedding gown.

I wouldn't worry if anything was on display since Princess Elizabeth's two strings of pearls that she intended to wear for the wedding had already been taken and put on display in error.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:41 AM
Majesty

Yes but pearls age better than clothes.

The queen's dress is not. 30 years after her wedding, the London museum commented that the dress was already starting to deteriorate. That a better form of satin/silk needed to have been used. 40 years later, probably not doing as well. The dress would have been preserved as well as possible, one benefit for it being on display, but doesn't sound like it would be used again well.

Reading about the queen's wedding I have been laughing so hard. Read where it said at the pre-wedding ball, her father started a conga line And the Queen of the Netherlands tripped when she joined
Old 02-14-2018, 03:59 AM
Super Moderator

Just as a reminder, discussion on Eugenie's wedding tiara and jewels can take place n the Princess Eugenie: Wedding Tiara and Jewelry Suggestions and Musings thread.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:10 AM
Majesty

Queen Elizabeth's Train was the net flowing down the stairs, the veil was totally plain, so the gorgeous display is the train and if net veils can last perhaps net trains can too.

https://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img...ay-1133403.jpg

https://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img...ns-1133401.jpg