A Wedding Dress for Princess Eugenie of York - Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also think Eugenie will wear Sarah's wedding tiara and I really hope her dress is by Vivienne Westwood. Eugenie looks stunning in their designs.

I think Eugenie needs something simpler.
Westwood's designs seem very costumey.

Something on the lines of that navy dress (Paule Ka) she wore to Pippa's wedding would work for her. She never looked better!

VW's designs have not always worked for Eugenie, she looked a complete mess at the Cambridge wedding.

Thanks for the info, muriel. I take it back. I had no idea that mess was VW!

What did the dress look like, I can only remember the awful 'hats'?

VW has made some stunning looks for Eugenie but when they miss they miss. Will be interesting to see who she goes with and what style. You never know with her.

LaRae

:previous: Good grief! That dress makes her look twice her normal size! :eek:

For my money, you can absolutely, definitely, scratch VW from the list of contenders.

Here

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/04/29/article-1381892-0BD39FFE00000578-72_634x1029.jpg

Vivian Westwood is fantastic when it comes to bridal and more formal gowns. The evening looks of hers we have seen Eugenie in, she looks great. Her bridal style would work with Eugenie's shape.
Ah, yes. Now I remember. Thanks.
No, definetly not a good look for Eugenie there, other dresses from VW look lovely though. So, I'm not ruling her out just because of that particular dress.

^ I refer you to the pictures of Bridal gowns [and the other evening dresses she has done for Eugenie]. The Princess would be very unwise to rule her out ^.

:previous: Good grief! That dress makes her look twice her normal size! :eek:

For my money, you can absolutely, definitely, scratch VW from the list of contenders.

IIRC she has lost some weight since that pic was taken...but it is a God-Awful dress.

LaRae

^ I refer you to the pictures of Bridal gowns [and the other evening dresses she has done for Eugenie]. The Princess would be very unwise to rule her out ^.

Totally agree...she has looked just stunning in a few of the VW dresses.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: This might sound like a bit of a fashion-ignorant question, but is Hartnell's couture house still designing dresses? I don't think a royal has worn one of his gowns in a long time.

is Hartnell's couture house still designing dresses?

No it isn't, altho' Houseware's are sold under his name, which is 'owned' by Fung Capital, the private investment holding company of the Fung family

I'd love to see her wearing her grandmother's fringe tiara and . . . her train. What a waste to have such a thing of beauty mouldering away on display. I think it should be treated like a heritage veil. :flowers:

However, I believe she will wear her mother's tiara.

I'd love to see her wearing her grandmother's fringe tiara and . . . her train. What a waste to have such a thing of beauty mouldering away on display. I think it should be treated like a heritage veil. :flowers:

However, I believe she will wear her mother's tiara.

Oh if only Marg. As you say, that veil deserves to be not only seen, but used & used in a manner like the Danes do w/Queen Ingrid's (IIRC) veil. Crown Princess Victoria also wore an Heirloom Veil, didn't she?

It is a shame.

Oh if only Marg. As you say, that veil deserves to be not only seen, but used & used in a manner like the Danes do w/Queen Ingrid's (IIRC) veil. Crown Princess Victoria also wore an Heirloom Veil, didn't she?

It is a shame.

Yes Victoria wore the Queen Sofia lace veil as it is called. Queen Sofia, wife of Oscar II seemed to have left it to her son Eugen. Eugen gave the veil to Princess Sibylla to wear, his great-nephew's bride. Silvia and three of her sister in laws wore it on their wedding day, and now Victoria. Hopefully Estelle will wear it one day as it has been worn by 2 queen consorts, as well as a third who was intended to be queen consort (Sibylla). The Belgians also have a heirloom veil, though it is from Paola's family. It is Belgian lace even if from the Italian family. It was worn by Paola's grandmother, mother, Paola, Astrid, Mathilde and Claire. Infanta Cristina also wore an heirloom. Her veil was made for Queen Maria Christina (wife of Alfonso XII) and then Victoria Eugenie wore it at her wedding. It was bought by the National museum, but it was leant out to Cristina for her wedding.

But unfortunately I don't see them taking Elizabeth's veil or train suddenly out of display to be used again. As lovely as they are.

Last edited:
Do we know if Sarah's veil (and her dress for that matter) are on display or does she have them?

LaRae

Actually, I don't know any other royals that have a train like HM had, her veil seems to be sort of bunched at each side. I don't know if it was a single net layer across the back or if it was split but that Train is magnificent and unique and would compliment almost any wedding gown.

I wouldn't worry if anything was on display since Princess Elizabeth's two strings of pearls that she intended to wear for the wedding had already been taken and put on display in error.

:previous: Yes but pearls age better than clothes.

The queen's dress is not. 30 years after her wedding, the London museum commented that the dress was already starting to deteriorate. That a better form of satin/silk needed to have been used. 40 years later, probably not doing as well. The dress would have been preserved as well as possible, one benefit for it being on display, but doesn't sound like it would be used again well.

Reading about the queen's wedding I have been laughing so hard. Read where it said at the pre-wedding ball, her father started a conga line :ohmy: And the Queen of the Netherlands tripped when she joined :D

No. why would she? I think a bride shoud have her own dress....

No way...she'll have her own dress. They even talked about her dress during the engagement interview.

LaRae

Does anyone wonder whether Eugenie will recycle her mother's wedding dress?

Why would she want to wear that?
It had those enormous shoulder pads and was embroidered with anchors and the letter A.
(Very schoolgirlish idea, imo.)

I hope Eugenie chooses something lovely and made especially for her.

I am wondering, has any royal bride ever recycled a wedding dress?

Hmmm not heard of that happening at least in the modern era.

LaRae

I think she will look lovely! I've always found her very pretty and sweet. She has had her own faux pas in the style department but I have a feeling that she will look wonderful and elegant on her wedding day.

I think Westwood could do a great wedding dress for Eugenie.

LaRae

I hope she goes for a classic, simple, elegant dress, maybe embroidered. I would love to see some beautiful embroidery. I fear Westwood's dresses could be too frumpy on Eugenie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom