Zara Phillips makes the 2012 Great Britain Olympic Team

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but what if she decides to have a couple of kids in quite quick succession, as lots of women do now to get it all out of the way and have the kids close to one another in terms of age? If she has 2 kids, that'd take at least 2 of the 4 years out, she'd need the guts of a year to try and qualify, and what happens with the horse while she's out? While she's taking a break to have kids it's entirely possible that another person could take her sport. All these things would have to be taken into account and considered.

^^^^
Other women have managed it, one even competed in eventing into the 7th month of pregnancy. I am sure that if Zara decides she wants to continue to compete at the highest levels she will find a way to do it.

Last edited:
Are there any pictures of Zara receiving her medal from her mother? Coverage of the olympics here in the US is horrible - they totally ignore any country except the US, and then it's only swimming, basketball and gymnastics.

FYI - NBC is making available full replay of its coverage. The equestrian jumping was the early morning coverage - and they ran they entire coverage - just about the entire field. you do have to put in your cable provider info - but it does work

Olympic Event Schedule & Results - July 31? 2012 | NBC Olympics

I havent seen video in the US of the medal ceremony - I assume they will air on tonights coverage.

FYI - NBC is making available full replay of its coverage. The equestrian jumping was the early morning coverage - and they ran they entire coverage - just about the entire field. you do have to put in your cable provider info - but it does work

Olympic Event Schedule & Results - July 31? 2012 | NBC Olympics

I havent seen video in the US of the medal ceremony - I assume they will air on tonights coverage.

I might also suggest watching NBC Nightly News tonight; they've mentioned and showed short clips of Zara the past couple of nights, and I wouldn't be surprised if they showed a quick clip of her receiving her medal.

^^^^
Other women have managed it, one even competed in eventing into the 7th month of pregnancy. I am sure that if Zara decides she wants to continue to compete at the highest levels she will find a way to do it.

Someone seriously took part in equestrian events while 7 months pregnant? Wow, I would've thought that was very risky for mother and baby.

I'm not saying Zara can't do it, only that having children is going to impact on her career to some extent, as it does with every woman who has kids. If she wants to have kids soon and compete at Rio 2016, I'd say she's going to have to have a baby fairly sharpish, to give her plenty of time to come back.

The worlds are in 2014 so I can see her having a baby in 2013 and then having two years to prepare for Rio and then having another baby after Rio - three years between babies.

While she is out of it having the baby I am sure her mother and father could help out along with many other equestrians as it would only be for a couple of months - in fact she could probably time it to fit in with a rest period for the horse.

Congradulations to Zara. I saw some pictures of her cousins attending an event that she was in. Glad some of her family was there when she got the silver medal.

Anne took into account a similar calendar when she married - olympics and babies:
married 1973
Montreal Olympics 1976
Peter born 1977 (that was a long time to wait for a royal baby)
Moscow Olympics 1980 (was Anne training for that? )
Zara born 1981

I am sad for her not to have got the gold one... of course it is great !

Anne retired from Eventing after the 1976 games to become a fulltime member of the royal family - although her husband kept training for eventing until at least after the 1988 games where he won Silver - so his daughter has emulated his 1988 achievement - the second member of the BRF I think to actually win a medal (Mark was still married to Anne at the time and so still a member of the royal family).

Someone seriously took part in equestrian events while 7 months pregnant? Wow, I would've thought that was very risky for mother and baby.

I'm not saying Zara can't do it, only that having children is going to impact on her career to some extent, as it does with every woman who has kids. If she wants to have kids soon and compete at Rio 2016, I'd say she's going to have to have a baby fairly sharpish, to give her plenty of time to come back.

1) Whether or not it's risky is between the woman and her own judgment with input from her doctor. What's right for one woman may not be right for another, and we all have to make our own choices when it comes to these decisions, preferably without judgment or shaming

2)We don't even know if Zara wants children. Not all women do. Certainly, if she wants to have kids, she can figure out the best balance between children and her equestrian career, but she may want to devote her entire life to her horses and competing, as some choose to do.

Let's not make premature assumptions about how long or short her career will be or what her priorities are.

1) Whether or not it's risky is between the woman and her own judgment with input from her doctor. What's right for one woman may not be right for another, and we all have to make our own choices when it comes to these decisions, preferably without judgment or shaming

2)We don't even know if Zara wants children. Not all women do. Certainly, if she wants to have kids, she can figure out the best balance between children and her equestrian career, but she may want to devote her entire life to her horses and competing, as some choose to do.

Let's not make premature assumptions about how long or short her career will be or what her priorities are.
I would agree with this. I rode until I was 32 weeks pregnant, but I stood down from jumping at 14 weeks. After that I was just trotting around on my elder statesman to keep fit. Honestly, it wasnt until I stopped riding that the belly popped out at all. Riding keeps the core really strong. I would also like to add that I didnt announce to the family until 29 weeks, primarily because I didnt want to hear from the pregnancy gestapos! OMG, you're drinking diet soda, etc.

I just think it is wonderful Zara got a silver she has trained long and hard. I'm sure she has things worked out in regards to a baby and I won't be surprised if she follows her mother and has one not too long after the OLympics. I am so glad she did well and that her family supported her. Things are looking good for her and now Peter has an Olympian on his books a great start for his new company too.

Congratulations to Zara on her silver medal; what a wonderful achievement for her and her team. Her family must be so proud.

congrat to zara!!! all the family must be soooo pround of her!

Actually, Zara has spoken very publicly about her desire for children, as stated here:

Zara Phillips jokes: I'll tell my children to take up another sport - Telegraph

Having children is going to impact on Zara's career, as it does with every woman rightly or wrongly. She'll have to sit down over the next few months and make some big decisions. One thing's for sure, with a father who won the rugby World Cup and captained England, and a mother who has excelled in equestrian winning medals at the Olympics, World and European championships, Mike and Zara's kids will have a pretty amazing sporting pedigree.

You watch, their kids will end up as bookworms!

LaRae

Has anyone found any pics of Zara attending other events. I read elsewhere she attended events yesterday or today, but have not found anything.

I am sad for her not to have got the gold one... of course it is great !

A silver medal is an excellent accomplishment...but yes, I do think perhaps they were a bit disappointed.

(I think this because afterwards Mrs. Fox-Pitt said sadly that the gold medal was there for the taking.)

The impression she gave was that the team just fell a bit short; of course the press emphasized a few mistakes by Zara. :sad:

A silver medal is an excellent accomplishment...but yes, I do think perhaps they were a bit disappointed.

(I think this because afterwards Mrs. Fox-Pitt said sadly that the gold medal was there for the taking.)

The impression she gave was that the team just fell a bit short; of course the press emphasized a few mistakes by Zara. :sad:

I think Zara was being harder on herself than anyone. After she jumped she was clearly disappointed, feeling that she'd let the team down a little bit. Zara didn't just clip one of the fences, she more or less rammed through it, and I got the feeling that mistake is the type that Zara felt she shouldn't have made given her experience and ability.

In the end, they were only 2 fences behind the Germans who had been expected to blow the field away. I think the frustration was in coming so close but failing to win the gold because of a couple of fairly basic errors (not just Zara's. William Fox-Pitt, who's the no.1 eventer in the world, couldn't get around the cross country section on time which was very surprising).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom